Marathon Weekend 2024

Has anyone else noticed the little spike towards Big Thunder RR instead of straight down Frontierland and toward the train tracks (the parade exit to backstage)? Am I misremembering, or is that new as well?
I’m pretty sure we have done that little spike before. Looking at last year’s map, it was a little different, but maybe a few years back I think the marathon had one version and the half had a slightly different one (one longer than the other). IMG_0235.jpeg

I'm excited by the changes to the courses. Really happy we get to run by Spaceship Earth for the half, and that we get to run past Tron. It would be really cool if they had the ride running... Also happy we come in under the train tracks for both races in MK, instead of the back way for the full.

The *only* thing I wish they had included was actually running under Spaceship Earth for the full.

As for the medals - they completely killed off any FOMO I was having of missing out on the first C2C, so that's good.

Now that I'm not exhausted from 3.5 hours of chasing middle schoolers up and down a basketball court...

For the full, we are getting to the castle just after mile 9. Last year it was at approximately 10.5. It appears that the castle falls pretty darn close to the same distance it did last year for the half.

Can anyone comment on what the shade situation might be between BB parking lot and HS? There was some (not a lot) in last year's course, but it looks like they "made up" the miles the took off the front end there.

Just happy to see courses/maps! As always, I suspect there will be some new things that I will end up liking and things that I wish they wouldn't have changed. I do have some concerns on the new start area based on what I heard about W&D. What is the size comparison for the field of the W&D HM compared to the half and full for Marathon weekend? Was thinking Marathon weekend is larger which would make the issues they had worse if they don't find a way to adjust (which hopefully they will have done). Since I suspect they will want to block off as little parking lot area as possible, I wonder how they plan to really squeeze everyone in (maybe multiple starts where they empty and refill all 4 corrals?).

We are also back to the slightly longer highway-mile slog at the backend before getting to HS by about a mile. Last year we exited AK after Mile 17 and got into HS around 23. This year it appears we still get into HS around Mile 23, but as has been mentioned, we exit AK before Mile 16 now.

I'm only doing the 10k for Marathon weekend, but I'm invested in the corral situation for the half/full since I'm doing the Princess Half and I'll probably be in a later corral. I honestly like the idea of refilling corrals, that way people in E/F aren't stuck in them for 1.5 hours. I don't think people in the A/B corrals realize how much that hurts your feet before the race even starts (because when the shuffle starts, EVERYONE stands up for some dumb reason), and also, I inevitably have you use the bathroom again before the start. :P BUT, it needs to be organized better. Maybe keep later corrals in the starting area until A and B go, then start refilling.

Also, I'm really happy about the 10k course! I did the one that goes into Hollywood Studios last year for Princess, so I'm glad to get a different course and to run around all of World Showcase. It'll give me a preview for if I do the marathon. :D

I'm only doing the 10k for Marathon weekend, but I'm invested in the corral situation for the half/full since I'm doing the Princess Half and I'll probably be in a later corral. I honestly like the idea of refilling corrals, that way people in E/F aren't stuck in them for 1.5 hours. I don't think people in the A/B corrals realize how much that hurts your feet before the race even starts (because when the shuffle starts, EVERYONE stands up for some dumb reason), and also, I inevitably have you use the bathroom again before the start. :P BUT, it needs to be organized better. Maybe keep later corrals in the starting area until A and B go, then start refilling.
I've been in D for 2 years in a row, and I totally get where you're coming from with this.

But.

It was handled SO so so badly by nearly all of the reports I've seen from W&D when they re-loaded the corrals. I am hoping they don't reload corrals and just make space in the parking lot for all of the corrals at once. That way, if people in the back corrals don't want to have to stand/shuffle for a long time, they can just wait and walk in the corral later.

The only "problem" that I see this solving is the people who show up late/head to the corrals late not having to cross the course for the full when it would loop. And honestly, that was their own fault.

ETA: There's a lot of space off to the right in the "staging" area (when you are facing the stage, and bag-check is behind you) that they could shift the stage, etc that way and have more room for corrals.

Last edited:
Is the start line at the same location as W&D? I'm hoping we won't get the same Corral E fiasco 😬
Yep. And I share that hope… but I don’t see what else they can do with that layout - there’s only so much space available in that section of parking lot. They need to at least provide screens, sound, and porta-potties at the E corral if they do that again.
Just happy to see courses/maps! As always, I suspect there will be some new things that I will end up liking and things that I wish they wouldn't have changed. I do have some concerns on the new start area based on what I heard about W&D. What is the size comparison for the field of the W&D HM compared to the half and full for Marathon weekend? Was thinking Marathon weekend is larger which would make the issues they had worse if they don't find a way to adjust (which hopefully they will have done). Since I suspect they will want to block off as little parking lot area as possible, I wonder how they plan to really squeeze everyone in (maybe multiple starts where they empty and refill all 4 corrals?).
This is exactly my concern with replicating the W&D start layout. Historically, the WDW Half field is much larger than W&D - nearly double some years! The W&D corrals had ample space to pack more people in while waiting, but once we start moving through those sharp turns to get to the start line, it got really cramped. I’m struggling to see how it goes smoothly with double the population, TBH.

Also, I'm really happy about the 10k course! I did the one that goes into Hollywood Studios last year for Princess, so I'm glad to get a different course and to run around all of World Showcase. It'll give me a preview for if I do the marathon. :D
Yes! Now that they’re starting to post the times they close each corral, I’ll be hanging out and sitting in the back so I can dash out and use the portapotties. I don’t have to be in the front and I’m not good at jostling for position in the starting line chute. I’d rather have some breathing room in the back if it means I can start with an empty bladder.

I know this isn't the thread, but any chance DL course certs have shown up?

Marathon spectating query (paging @DopeyBadger!):
At roughly what times might we expect the front of the field to hit DHS? EP?
And is my math right here: add 30-45 minutes to that for back of the field, knowing it may be closer to an hour, but I like to pad my deadlines?! (ETA: NM - I was thinking after the final corral starts, but even that isn’t right! Need more coffee…)

Last edited:
And is my math right here: add 30-45 minutes to that for back of the field, knowing it may be closer to an hour, but I like to pad my deadlines?!
Assuming a 2:25 finish time, the lead runner should get to DHS a little before 7:10 am.

And is my math right here: add 30-45 minutes to that for back of the field, knowing it may be closer to an hour, but I like to pad my deadlines?!
Assuming a 6am start for the balloon ladies, the last runners should be entering HS at around noon, and Epcot at about 12:30.

Assuming a 3hr finish (and there will be some faster than that) for the front of the pack, you're looking at 7:40ish for HS and 7:50ish for Epcot.

And is my math right here: add 30-45 minutes to that for back of the field, knowing it may be closer to an hour, but I like to pad my deadlines?! (ETA: NM - I was thinking after the final corral starts, but even that isn’t right! Need more coffee…)

Here are all the milestones for Marathon spectating for the lead runner and the Balloon ladies assuming start times of 32 min after gun, 44 min after gun, and 60 min after gun. Be aware the last few years the Balloon ladies have started sooner than 6am. Dennis Holler is a good name to search for in previous results because he tends to be the 7:00hr pacer and starts very near the balloon ladies.

2023 - 44 min (Clock-Net)
2022 - 32 min (Clock-Net)
2020 - 34 min (Clock-Net)

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 9.49.18 AM.png

DopeyBadger's post reminds me... have we seen the list of pacers yet? I haven't seen anything in the Rise&Run Facebook group yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter