Marathon Weekend 2024

Hope everybody has made it back now! It started pouring as I was exiting the parking lot, so glad I made it out before that at least.

I also noticed the lack of volume in A - I was at the back and couldn't hear anything until I moved up closer to a speaker they had set up in F. It was weird because I could see the stage but couldn't hear what they were saying. Lines and congestion were also kind of crappy. But I was happy they still had the characters out, and I did enjoy running around World Showcase which I don't think we were originally supposed to do. I guess the one benefit of the course change is that all of the park miles were at the end?

I ended up with 1:01:06 moving time and 1:42:54 elapsed time 🤣 I think I stopped for 5 or 6 characters? Could have been more. The lines for Chip & Dale and Mickey & Minnie were particularly long, and Mushu went on break just before I got to the front of the line 🤷‍♀️

Anyway. It wasn't quite the same experience, but I still had a good time and will have a fun story about my (slightly-more-than-half of a) half marathon. And hey, PRs for everyone! 😝

I, too was in Corral C this morning. Had two people go down in the corral before the race even started—medics called in for both. Then, they didn’t fill the start chute at all and we basically had to run to the start line just before the first wave went off. it didn’t seem like they rushed the out the earlier corrals at all. Course was very congested the entire length. Like others, lots of grass running, etc. Super long photo lines but I stopped anyway because the skies were still dry.

I’ll admit I initially considered looping the world showcase bit as it seemed it would be easy to lengthen, but by the time I got around the world, that segment of the course was heavily manned with cast members. Settled for what I got. I am not going to do any extra mileage today. Maybe that will translate to a stronger finish tomorrow?

People on the course mostly seemed to take it in stride. Lots of reminders from rundisney to BE NICE to everyone. 😉 def a bummer for the half only runners......just another reason to come back later and do another!

I like how people are claiming it was too dangerous to run the race, yet go run around a parking lot in circles in the same weather to get a make-believe half marathon. I was at RFK stadium in the 90s when lightning struck and killed someone. I get it. But the lightning was never going to get here before 10, and walking around Magic Kingdom in a thunderstorm is just as dangerous as running to and from it. If it was really that big of a threat Disney would not open their gates
Running around a parking lot you're close to buildings you can duck into. And there are significantly less people doing it so there will actually be space in the buildings to hide in vs trying to cram 5,000 some odd people into nonexistant space. There is literally nowhere to hide on the highways.

Plus, I don't relish the idea of the water tables/mile markers becoming projectiles if the winds kick up and it wasn't safe for volunteers to break them down.

I get you're disappointed, but I think Disney made the right call. Better to be overcautious than put anyone in danger.

I like how people are claiming it was too dangerous to run the race, yet go run around a parking lot in circles in the same weather to get a make-believe half marathon. I was at RFK stadium in the 90s when lightning struck and killed someone. I get it. But the lightning was never going to get here before 10, and walking around Magic Kingdom in a thunderstorm is just as dangerous as running to and from it. If it was really that big of a threat Disney would not open their gates
Wow, lots to unpack here...

1. I haven't seen people claiming that it was too dangerous to run the race. People have agreed that Disney made the right call based on the forecast for severe weather, which is all they can go on because it's too late when the lightning is over the course.
  2. People running around parking lots or resorts we're doing it a) before the actual race was run or b) in conditions that they found safe to be running in in the moment. As you yourself pointed out, there hasn't been any lightning yet. Also, not sure why you care what other people are choosing to do to make lemonade from this situation.
  3. The forecasts I saw consistently yesterday had the chance of thunderstorms in the 9am hour. Disney had to use the forecast that they deemed most accurate (no idea which one(s) they actually used) to base their plans on. With a need to clear the course of runners and volunteers by 8a to allow a buffer, there wasn't time to fit the entire race in.
  4. You are 100% wrong that walking around in a theme park with abundant shelter is just as dangerous as being on a long, exposed flat section of open highway with no shelter. Sorry, but I can't even believe that's up for debate.

One thing that I liked this morning was the way corral A lined up at the start line and didn't need to move into place. I hope that continues tomorrow for the full. The walk from corral to the start line is always treacherous and everyone tries to get towards the front.

Hopefully the rain clears soon and we can all enjoy our days!

The danger was more to the staffers and volunteers who have to remain outside after all the runners are done to clean up. CM’s are shuffled inside in the event of a thunderstorm at MK and outdoor rides are taken offline, there’s nowhere to go if they’re in the middle of post-race work.

Just my two cents...

I think runDisney is amazing for having held the race. They had to reorganize all the stops, volunteers, course markers, etc overnight just so we could have an experience this morning. All my thanks go out to the employees who basically did not sleep for us.

The course really sucked, with all the highway miles. By the time this corral D girl got into World Showcase, most entertainment was being stopped because of the rain. I'm still really grateful and happy I got to run the half of a half. As we said during the meetup this morning, we're the lucky ones to experience these moments!

One thing that I liked this morning was the way corral A lined up at the start line and didn't need to move into place. I hope that continues tomorrow for the full. The walk from corral to the start line is always treacherous and everyone tries to get towards the front.

Hopefully the rain clears soon and we can all enjoy our days!
I’ve never understood why they organize the corrals for the shorter races (and now all of them if they’re not starting on the highway) with A farthest from the start line. Wouldn’t it make much more sense to just have A IN the start chute, with B in the loop next to them, then C, D, etc going from left to right?

It always annoys me because the later corrals always stand up and push forward when A and B start moving to the start line and I’m like, guys, you know we still have a least half an hour before we start moving, right? Why are we standing up??

The danger was more to the staffers and volunteers who have to remain outside after all the runners are done to clean up. CM’s are shuffled inside in the event of a thunderstorm at MK and outdoor rides are taken offline, there’s nowhere to go if they’re in the middle of post-race work.
Yeah, wasn’t that why the half was canceled in 2017? I don’t remember what the weather was like in the morning, but there were storms overnight so they couldn’t safely set up.

did lightning strike? I've been asleep in the bathtub ,well just resting , so haven't even looked outside. i haven't heard anything ...and too lazy to look

I wouldn’t be surprised if Cs size is related to the POT system. Since I think that’s where the lack of need for one starts. And if you have a bunch of people submitting they’re going to run right on the border. Then they’re all going to end up in the same place
I was in D, and it seemed to be a mix of runners who would finish just slower than the two hours for a half, and those who would barely beat the balloon ladies. So it meant for a lot of shuffling and walking at first, and later on in the narrow sections.
IMHO, they need a little bit more granularity for proof of time, or extend the POT windows to accept times a little bit slower than the current cut offs.

Everyone here has already covered it, but I can’t believe people are actually comparing being in magic kingdom to having thousands of people, in the middle of a highway with no shelter in place. If Disney closed the parks every time there were thunderstorms forecasted, the parks would never be open.

I actually really enjoyed the course. The highway miles weren’t too bad, and it seemed like the volunteer/CM support and number of photographers was a lot more concentrated than usual. I ended up running faster than I had wanted to, and finished only 2 minutes slower than the 10k yesterday.

I finished my miles by running from BLT to GF and back, then back to the front of MK. There were quite a few other runners doing the same. I even got a “finish line” picture
1704552318628.jpeg

Everyone here has already covered it, but I can’t believe people are actually comparing being in magic kingdom to having thousands of people, in the middle of a highway with no shelter in place. If Disney closed the parks every time there were thunderstorms forecasted, the parks would never be open.

I actually really enjoyed the course. The highway miles weren’t too bad, and it seemed like the volunteer/CM support and number of photographers was a lot more concentrated than usual. I ended up running faster than I had wanted to, and finished only 2 minutes slower than the 10k yesterday.

I finished my miles by running from BLT to GF and back, then back to the front of MK. There were quite a few other runners doing the same. I even got a “finish line” picture
View attachment 823426
Great photo!

I’ve never understood why they organize the corrals for the shorter races (and now all of them if they’re not starting on the highway) with A farthest from the start line. Wouldn’t it make much more sense to just have A IN the start chute, with B in the loop next to them, then C, D, etc going from left to right?

It always annoys me because the later corrals always stand up and push forward when A and B start moving to the start line and I’m like, guys, you know we still have a least half an hour before we start moving, right? Why are we standing up??
“Wouldn’t it make more sense”..

I think I found your problem.
;-)

View attachment 823426
Great idea and picture!

Seeking a possible run-buddy tomorrow! I’m in C corral, but I’m planning on running approximately 14:00s until I get to a point where I feel like I need to walk more (historically this has been around AK) and then play it by ear from there. I’m planning on a castle pic, character stops only if they’re really short lines, and maybe a ride on EE if I’m feeling like sitting for a few minutes wouldn’t wreck me.

the later corrals always stand up and push forward when A and B start moving to the start line and I’m like, guys, you know we still have a least half an hour before we start moving, right? Why are we standing up??

Yes! It’s really annoying. 2 years ago someone passed out in the corral about 10ft from us, presumably from standing there with their knees locked for too long or something. He passed us later on the course, so medical must have given him the ok to run.

I think that they made the right call with the course today. Was it narrow and frustrating? Yes. Was it more crowded than the 10k? Also yes. Did we learn that there is not a good way to clear 10k runners + spectators + support people expeditiously? For sure. Talk about a trial by fire for the new head guy for rundisney!

DH and I finished today only 28 seconds slower than yesterday, which is kind of shocking. And that was with a bathroom stop and a stop for Genie!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter