• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2024

Typically race mornings aren't too much of an issue as they'll have empty buses at each resort waiting to go. The return trip after the race is typically when they for sure stop at both.
Great! Thanks for the feedback.

I've stayed at both during race weekends and never had issues with either.
That's what I like to hear! I like the food options are Riviera more than GDT so I think I'm going to make the switch!

CBR has been my go to for MW for the last couple of years and the buses have been shared with Riviera. As previously noted, there are usually several buses queued up at each individual stop first thing in the morning that fill up and then head out directly. Once they start running the normal circuit, though, Riviera seems to be either the 1st or 3rd stop, depending on where the bus enters the resort complex. One route has the buses stopping at Jamaica and Aruba before hitting the Riviera and continuing around the other side of the resort. The second route has the buses coming in to Riviera first and then heading out to circle the rest of the resort. I haven't experienced anything more than normal, occasional hiccups in the bus service that can and do crop up just about anywhere you stay.
Sounds like Gran Destino. We fill up and head out without making any loops which is definitely preferred! Thanks!

does anyone know what the Riviera bussing situation was this year for MW? I assume it’s shared with CB? Was riviera first or last? Any reoccurring bussing nightmares? I’m considering renting points and switching from Gran Destino to Riv but GD has been so good to me the past two marathon weekends I’m nervous to switch. Riviera has been on my wishlist for a long time what better time than MW when I’ll be in my room more than normal. But then…if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I should stay at the tower which I also enjoy. Someone help me decide!
I have never really seen any complaints about Riviera/CBR race bussing and I am staying at Riviera next year. The hotels I see the most bus complaints about (including expo buses) are always the Epcot area resorts, funny enough. The Skyliner and food options are big draws for me, I enjoy dinner in Epcot and going through the IG makes it so easy to pop in and out. While I loved staying at AKL for the most part this year, I am OVER the Future World entrance :laughing: I loved Coronado the past few times I stayed there but have been spoiled with the Skyliner/walking with my recent stays at the Dolphin. It is hard to go back to busing to all four parks.

SAFD: Many great memories, like my first Dopey or running the Flying Pig half marathon in a thunderstorm, but I think the one I'm most proud of is the LA Marathon in 2017. It was my second marathon after I swore I was one and done. I'm proud of it because I had IT band issues during training and wasn't where I wanted to be physically. But I grew up in LA and we got to hang out in Dodger Stadium before the race, so it was a great start.

I remember just passing the halfway point and I was doing great and then my IT band issues flared up and I ended up walking most of the rest of it. But between Mile 22 and 23, my body wanted to shut down on me. I'd hit the mental wall, but never a physical wall. I was hurting and was thinking of stopping and I looked to my left and saw a street sign that said 26th Street, and the next street up was 25th Street. So I mentally just counted down and kept pushing myself (and it helped that it was downhill) and I could feel the air getting denser and ultimately hear the ocean as we got close to Santa Monica. Then I hit the turn onto the final stretch, which felt a lot longer than it looked on the map, and was able to finish.

I have never really seen any complaints about Riviera/CBR race bussing and I am staying at Riviera next year. The hotels I see the most bus complaints about (including expo buses) are always the Epcot area resorts, funny enough. The Skyliner and food options are big draws for me, I enjoy dinner in Epcot and going through the IG makes it so easy to pop in and out. While I loved staying at AKL for the most part this year, I am OVER the Future World entrance :laughing: I loved Coronado the past few times I stayed there but have been spoiled with the Skyliner/walking with my recent stays at the Dolphin. It is hard to go back to busing to all four parks.
Thanks! I agree - I see a lot of complaints from the Epcot resorts. That’s gotta be frustrating! I much prefer the food options at Riviera to Coronado, too. I decided to switch so I’ll see ya at Riviera in Jan!

SAFD:

Good Morning, err. Afternoon runDisney All-stars!

Apologies for the late posting, a little distracted as we are running around doing laundry, talking with the pet sitter, cleaning the house and packing, because…

IMG_0315.jpeg

So Excited! But I will try to get my act together!

Here is this week’s SAFD question. Where are you staying for Marathon Weekend and where would you like to stay that you have never stayed before?

My answer: My family and I are staying at Copper Creek in Wilderness Lodge for MW. it is my favorite resort hands down. But I have always wanted to stay at the Polynesian for the races to ride the monorail, quick access to ‘Ohana and of course Dole Whip! One year we will do that instead. Have a good week all!

SAFD: I'm staying at CBR. Skyliner access and the Sodastream machines located throughout the resort make it a race weekend winner for me. I rarely eat at the resort, so its size doesn't really bother me.

I'd love to try the Poly or Beach Club, but doubt that'll ever happen.

SAFD:

We will be staying off site at a smaller rental this year. We only have 3 runners this time so it’s just going to be the three of us for this Weekend. We haven’t picked the exact place yet but it will still be saving quite a bit of money over an on property hotel.

There are still a lot of places we haven’t stayed and I’d go back to any of the ones we have stayed at very willingly. I’d love to stay at Riviera for MW (was lucky enough to stay there once during the pandemic) and I’d always take some time at AKL. As for the ones I’ve never visited, I’d love to stay at Polynesian or Wilderness Lodge at some point.

SAFD: we are staying at SSR again this year. We rent a car, so it’s not an issue for us that the resort is so sprawling. I actually enjoy how spread out it is, because I don’t feel like I’m tripping over people like I do at AoA or similar resorts. We spend a decent amount of time at DS window shopping and people watching, and all of the restaurant options are great so it’s extremely convenient.

I would like to get a chance to stay at Boardwalk (seems really convenient for spectating) as that’s one of the few dvc resorts we haven’t stayed at yet.

SAFD: no clue! I’ll see what AP rates look like when they release and go from there. Just a short trip for me, and could go offsite if I find a better deal.

Where would I like to be? In pure fantasy, I’d be at the Four Seasons with a big suite and room service for every meal. Or a cabin at WL. Or the King Kamehameha suite at the Poly. Ooo, or a grand Villa at BLT! I mean, I’ve got lots of ideas if money is no object, lol! But back here in reality, I’d be pretty stoked just to get a Moderate for less than $150/night again. sigh.

SAFD: I'm staying at the Coronado Tower for the first time. There's really nowhere I've never stayed before where I'd like to stay though - formerly had DVC and was lucky to stay just about everywhere I ever wanted. If money weren't an object, I'd stay at Boardwalk or Jambo House, though.

As of now, I have two nights at Copper Creek followed by 3 nights at Saratoga Springs. I only signed up for Dopey (via a charity) a couple of weeks ago so have been stalking the DVC availability to piece together a stay. I’ll have a car so moving resorts won’t be too bad (after the 10k), and enjoy staying at Saratoga for the proximity to Disney Springs and all the pools. For my 2 nights at Copper Creek I will plan on eating at some of the monorail restaurants and probably Geyser Point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter