• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2024

I have the Fort2Base 10 nautical mile (11.5 miles) at the end of the month and the Des Plaines River Trail HM in October. I'm calling them both B races because I am still testing my fitness levels after running, biking, and Orange Theory each twice a week since Spring compared to running four or five times a week.

I've run each of these races multiple times so they should give me a pretty good idea of my relative fitness level using my new training regimen.

SAFD:
No fall races currently planned; there's too much other stuff going on in the schedule to fit one in before it's "too close" to MW for a race. As 'someday' race I've been thinking about Chicago and NY, but like a lot of fall races, it'll be a few years since those all conflict with XC season and they're only kids once....

SAFD:

A race? I suppose Wine and Dine in November
B race? Tune up race at Holland Haven in September

The Sunday long runs have been brutal usually following beer festivals and golf outings. 🤢
Oooooh. I've been eyeing up Holland Haven because it's usually on a Sunday. Let me know what you think!

Also, beer fests and golf outings? I always thought those were kind of the same thing. :rotfl2:

SAFD: I’m training for a 10k on Halloween weekend, and I have a catered training run with the Hot Chocolate 15k Oct 1. I tweaked my hip flexor last week when I did 8 miles, and I’m not sure why 🤷🏻‍♀️. It’s been recovering this week and did well on my 7-mile run this morning. I was supposed to do 10 but I do 10k’s so I don’t have to do double digit runs. Seems like overkill to me.

SAFD:
I’ve got the Berlin Marathon at the end of September. Training is going well. My current training plan seems like a lot less mileage than my previous plans that I’ve used, so hopefully I won’t fade fast in the marathon! Also, I’ll have to figure out what plan to use for Dopey training (with a Nov. marathon), because I think I’m going to need more mileage!

SAFD: My A race this fall is the Cape Fear 24h Challenge. Training for it has been sub-optimal due to the heat and humidity. We had a cold snap last weekend where I got to run in T+Ds of 135-145 and it was downright refreshing. I needed that to confirm that my pacing issues have been heat related rather than fitness related. Reality came crashing back in this morning, though, as T+Ds spiked rapidly into the mid-150s during my long run. My stomach turned over as soon as I tried taking the first round of gummies and I ended up only getting half the run done.

In addition to the A race I have a B race coming up in 5 weeks that I was planning to use as part of my training. The Sugg Farm 40 miler is run ~1/2 mile from my house, which is why I decided to do it. It's run on very hilly trails around a local lake. I'm starting to really worry about whether I'll be able to complete it if the weather stays the way it has been.

ETA: Congratulations on becoming a grandparent, @jmasgat! I'm in a similar boat as my older daughter is getting married at Thanksgiving and her fiancé is bringing along a little one.

SAFD: I am not registered for anything this fall. My town has a 5k Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving, so maybe I'll do that.

I need to start training for the January runDisney halves I have. I'm already starting to have those nightmares where you are trying to run but you are barely moving forward with the leaded legs. Also, according to said dream, they added a mirrored fun house maze to the half course along the long stretch of road outside the Magic Kingdom. Good luck. :laughing:

SAFD: I’m signed up for five HMs right now—a local one in October, Space Coast in November, Disneyland in January, Princess in February, and one in Savannah in April. If I complete all of them, that gets me to 50 total. I don’t expect to do any more fulls after last year’s medical problems and surgery, but I’m glad to still be running. I’m not sure any of these exactly qualify as ‘A’ races, but I’ve been able to cut some time off each race since surgery, and I’m hoping to get in a solid training cycle and run strong in the local half. Space Coast was my first half back last year, and I had to walk most of it. I want to be in position to run strong for it this time around. After that, the Disney ones are definitely for fun.

My next one is Wine and Dine weekend. I haven’t done much training in Dallas during the summer but run indoors occasionally and will do more outside when it cools down. My main focus has been getting past some nagging injuries and I feel like I’ve done that.

SAFD: My DW's "A" race in the fall is the Philadelphia Marathon weekend. They run an 8k and a half on Saturday and a full on Sunday, so she does the Liberty Bell Challenge, which is the 1/2 and full. So it looks very much like a Goofy Challenge in distance.

She likes the course, it's mostly flat, and all paved. It's in mid-November, so the weather will cool off quite a bit from the really hot summer we're having.

And then, if The Eagles aren't playing that weekend, Merrill Reese will come by and do some announcing for the marathon. And he'll take pot shots too! When Ezekiel Elliott, running back for The Dallas Cowboys was suspended in 2017, he said: "9000 people are doing something today that Zeke is not, and that is running on Sunday at the AACR Philadelphia Marathon"

SAFD: No races planned until MW. I have a bucket list race I want to do next fall. I intended to do it this year and decided to take the summer off from "training". It's a 50 mile road race down the WI peninsula. I've done the relay several times and it's a lot of fun. Big party at the end. If I do that I will probably skip MW 2025.

Side question: I am entering my POT for MW. I've never done this before. I'm doing Dopey which I originally had as a 4:31-5:00 finish. Am I doing it right when I change my expected finish time to below 4:30 so it prompts me to enter my POT? Even though my marathon time will be longer than 4:30 I'm assuming. I have a 2:06:xx half marathon I'm entering. I also registered day-of the half marathon race and they entered my name as my FB hyphenated maiden-married last name in the official results (without details like sex, age, or hometown). My Dopey registration is just my married last name. Will this be an issue? I linked my direct results, not the entire race results page. If they just try to search my married last name in the results it will say "no results found".

SAFD: My daughter and I are running the 4 Bridges Half in Chattanooga TN in October. I'm hoping to set a new PR after training in the summer heat. I am almost certain my daughter's first half time will be faster than anything I'll ever do.

I'm with you about the heat - I'm hoping for a PR at the 7 Bridges with this Atlanta heat training.

SAFD: I'll be running the 7 Bridges Marathon in Chattanooga in October. Wine and Dine challenge in November.

Side question: I am entering my POT for MW. I've never done this before. I'm doing Dopey which I originally had as a 4:31-5:00 finish. Am I doing it right when I change my expected finish time to below 4:30 so it prompts me to enter my POT? Even though my marathon time will be longer than 4:30 I'm assuming. I have a 2:06:xx half marathon I'm entering. I also registered day-of the half marathon race and they entered my name as my FB hyphenated maiden-married last name in the official results (without details like sex, age, or hometown). My Dopey registration is just my married last name. Will this be an issue? I linked my direct results, not the entire race results page. If they just try to search my married last name in the results it will say "no results found".
Yes, select below 4:30 so that you can enter your results. It really doesn’t matter what your actual time will be. The 2:06 will get you into a POT corral. You can always start from the back of B if you feel like you’re in the wrong spot.
Your name shouldn’t be an issue but you should bring a screenshot of your POT entry and the race results to the expo just in case.

SAFD: I have some races on the calendar including a half in October and the WDW half but none are A races. I knew the summer would be pretty much all maintenance after Boston and while I initially planned to ramp up a bit in the fall I'm going to keep it to maintenance through the end of the year. I have a very large project that goes live in October that is resulting in a lot of hours and weekends and even post-live will be a lot of work through the end of the year.

For my own mental health I'm hitting the gym, road, and trails as more stress relief than training.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter