• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2024

SAFD:

It’s simple for me: I run because I love food and don’t like being big (I’m not doing the greatest at the not being big part right now). I wish I was a person who didn’t particularly like food or could eat for sustenance rather than enjoyment, but I’m not. I run because I like eating things that are good for me and, moreso, because I like eating things that are bad for me. It reductive but, for me, it’s the full truth.

SAFD: I mostly run to do the races and the social aspect of meeting up with the great friends I’ve met along the way. I’m not fast and never will be but I’ve had great experiences because of it.

I’ve done several other races with people I’ve met on these boards and that has made it worth doing. And if you’d told me 7 years ago that I would run AND finish the New York City marathon, I would have said you were crazy.

Last edited:

SAFD: It's always been a stress reliever for me so I keep up with it. It's the time of day where nothing is expected of me and I can decompress. I don't have to be a wife, a mom or an animal caretaker. I also like food especially pizza and wine!!! The best part is the friendships I've made along the way and meeting up with others on race weekends.

SAFD: It started off as a challenge. Can I run a 5K? I really want to run at Disney...can I finish a local half? Also, I thought it would help me lose weight. Spoiler alert: it does not work for me. It just makes me eat more. I enjoy both the solitude when I run alone and the companionship when my daughter runs with me.

SAFD: originally it was for an alternative to lifting, and then snowballed rapidly into a challenge to conquer. These days I run because it's my mental break from everything else. And my mental health really needs it, my stress level needs it, and it's something I can work on and only have to compete against myself (which, I'm slow enough that it's a good thing I'm competing against myself!) Plus, it's a great excuse to go do Disney for my birthday every year. ;)

SAFD: I gained weight after becoming a mom and while I don't necessarily hate my body, I hated feeling not like myself. (I am very short so being "small" has always been a part of my identity.) I also had a lot of lingering body issues due to infertility and feeling like my body failed me. So running became a way to get in shape, feel healthier, but ultimately makes me feel good about what my body can do for me.

SAFD: New to running, haven't yet completed any races, but I echo what a lot of people have said. To stay healthy, to relieve stress (and anxiety!), to lose weight/stay trim.

But the most important one for me right now is just to prove to myself that I can. I want to know that I can finish a 5k, a 10k, a half. I want to prove that to myself.

Okay, plus when I found out about runDisney I was super excited. I mean Disney plus all the things above? I'm in!

SAFD: Fitness and offsetting food/beer. I’m also really addicted to the 3:30am Epcot parking lot ‘we are all mad here’ feeling, or any pre or post race vibe - those are the moments that motivate me more than actually loving running. The running part is just a required act to other things I enjoy, with practical benefits. :-)

SAFD: I started running as a challenge to myself and because it was a new Disney thing to experience. I've kept with it largely because of the community here and at the race weekends. But it also is a nice thing to do just for me, where I can turn off my brain and just move.

SAFD:
- Endurance running for me really started out as a way to do something just for myself. After becoming a mom, my world centered around my kids, so it was a chance to prioritize my own health and well being, and to spend some time either alone or with friends.
- The bling - especially with Disney!
- Excuse to travel (heading to Germany next month for the Berlin marathon - a trip to Germany wouldn't have even been on my radar before!). And of course the Disney trips for MW!
- That feeling of accomplishment that running brings - it gives me confidence to tackle other things in my life (hey - you ran a marathon! you can do anything!)
- I just feel better/sleep better/eat better when I'm running regularly
- And I'd be lying if I left off beer and ice cream!

SAFD: For another excuse to go to WDW! Lol.

Like most have said, physical and mental health are big reasons. I love the feeling of getting done with a long run. I love that feeling that my system is running on all cylinders instead of just feeling blah sitting around and snacking all day. Also, I do some of my best thinking and decision making when running. I don’t listen to music, so lots of thoughts and internal discussions.

Also, as being a former college athlete, just trying to replicate that feel you get from competition. That rush of adrenaline and the task of trying to defeat your opponent. I do love race mornings and that build up to the start of the race and the rush when the gun goes off / fireworks shoot off. For the competition part, I do try to always beat my best times or the time goals I set. Also, while on the course, I always try to “target” runners ahead of me to try to catch up to and get a head off. Once I catch one, I set a new target. It helps to stay motivated on long runs while adding that competition element.

SAFD: Why do I run?

I did cross country in jr high and ran semi regularly in ensuing years, but not much.
Started working back here in Atlanta and on July 5th had a ton of co-workers going on about the Peachtree Road Race. They went on about it enough that I decided that I needed to join in and started training and completed my first 10K back in '93 or '94.
The ex and I used to go to Disney a lot and I remember thinking how nifty it would be to run there, and then found out that they host races. Cool.
Had never run a half before, but decided that if I could do a 10k that I (might?) could do a half and started training. Did that in 2009, and having conquered that hill, decided that I should try a marathon and signed up for the Goofy.
Covid hits and after two weeks of very long work days (because nothing much else to do) I decided to start going for regular runs for physical health and mental health. And after getting back into the running groove, that led back to... Disney.
Since I was last there, the Dopey challenge had been created and it was another hill to conquer.
Plus rejoining the rD forum led to meeting up with this cast of characters, which means people that also want to talk about running, unlike my friends and family that are tired of hearing me talk about it.

SAFD: It's funny because I started running so I could meet people and make some friends when I moved out of state for grad school and didn't know a soul in my new town. But now it's morphed into the one thing I do that is completely for me, all mine, all alone. My number one reason to run now is mental health. I'm a much better mom, wife, friend, family member etc when I'm running. I also do it to stay healthy and to feel strong and proud of my body (which I'm not super happy with appearance-wise). I also really enjoy going to races and the atmosphere at them, all races not just runDisney. Everyone is always so positive and supportive and it always feels like a community to me. Runners are cool people!

SAFD: Woo boy, where do I start? I am motivated to run by many different things, many of which have been already echoed here:
  • Mental health (I really enjoy the alone time)
  • Physical fitness
  • Pizza/Beer/Vodka!
  • The accomplished feeling after finishing a hard/long run
  • The medals
  • The atmosphere on race days, especially at Disney
  • Excuse to go to Disney more often
I never would have thought years ago that I would actually enjoy running, but it's just part of who I am now. I am a marathoner and nobody can take that away from me.

SAFD:
Running gives me a reason to make good choices about what I eat and drink. I went through a time when the only exercise I got was walking to the fridge for more ice cream and that really didn’t feel great. I knew something had to change. When I eat better, I feel better, and then I run better, which also makes me feel better, so it's this great positive feedback loop.

I have anxiety and I've discovered that running really helps keep it quiet. If I don't run for a while I can tell. Everyone can tell.

I have kids and running is something I do for myself, by myself, which is rare. I love being out on the road, alone with my music. I love that they see me taking care of myself and working to be healthy.

And I specifically run Disney because training for the races is the motivation I need to run more often.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter