• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2024

It is such a lazy way to run a company and promotes competition instead of cooperation across department and divisions. Disney has done this for decades but I'm not sure it was always that way.
Most major companies operate this way, as it allows them to mitigate their tax liabilities.

SAFD:

Good morning runDisney All-Stars! Today’s question focuses on Solo trips. Have you ever done a solo trip to Disney, any advice? What did you like about it and what maybe not so much?

My answer: I have done a few solo trips for runDisney weekends. Overall I really enjoyed those trips. It was really helpful to be able to focus just on what I needed, get up early without worrying about waking family, eat when and what I wanted, come and go from the parks as I wanted and not have to worry about anyone else. I really enjoy alone time and am very comfortable striking up conversations with strangers so it was a really great opportunity to feed my introvert tendencies but then enjoy a conversation when I felt like it. But there were a few times I certainly missed family. I think I it works best for me on the shorter runDisney weekends and leave MW for family trips. Have a good Sunday!

SAFD: I’ve only done solo trips to Disney since I became an adult. It’s really nice to be able to just do what you want without worrying if it’s affecting someone else’s enjoyment of the trip—this is especially good for rD trips, since they usually involve early nights and less active days.

I’ll actually be doing my first non-solo Disney trip for the DL Half weekend and I’m hoping the beneficial time change will let me stay in the parks a bit later with my grandma. We have separate rooms though, so she’s free to do whatever she wants even if I have to go to sleep.

SAFD: I’ve done many solo trips when I was single. There’s a lot to like. Single rider lines, I can go where I want, eat where I want. I often focused on finding unique and out of the way spots in the parks. Cast members have always been great. I love going with friends but I do enjoy my solo trips.

I was partly solo for MW 2022 and fully for Springtime Surprise. It's gone better than I expected, and I was pretty iffy with SS but it worked out well. There were certain things I'm not sure I would have been able to do if I had friends with me on the trip, including uhhh... going on Guardians as many times as possible while I was there.

SAFD:
there are a lot of times where I’ll either be dropped off to tour solo or will be with other family members who don’t do many attractions and will be told “just meet us at this location when you are done” and it’s fun…it’s nice to just go with the flow and look at the app to see what has a favorable wait time because line waiting solo can be daunting (packing a book or earbuds to listen to podcasts help)

2022 I did springtime surprise weekend solo and it was fun aside from the weather

SAFD:
No fall races currently planned; there's too much other stuff going on in the schedule to fit one in before it's "too close" to MW for a race. As 'someday' race I've been thinking about Chicago and NY, but like a lot of fall races, it'll be a few years since those all conflict with XC season and they're only kids once....

Oooooh. I've been eyeing up Holland Haven because it's usually on a Sunday. Let me know what you think!

Also, beer fests and golf outings? I always thought those were kind of the same thing. :rotfl2:
It was a wonderful time. Beautiful town. Great weather! Lots of beer… notice a theme 😂. Small rolling hills. Fantastic organization. Amazing end party. Kinda better than Disney TBH. Guaranteed my corral placement WDW marathon weekend so it was decently quick.

SAFD:

I have never done a full solo trip but I’ve spent portions of trips solo, often arriving a day or two before the rest of my group, and I have always really enjoyed it. I don’t hesitate to book earlier flights in or later flights out if the math works out (I can never save enough on flights to pay for an extra day at Disney, obviously, but if I can save $50 on a flight and get a room at or below the rate for the rest of my stay, yeah, I can talk myself into an extra day at Disney). I’ve done stays where I’ve gone to the parks solo and also trips where I just do Disney Springs or hang at the Resort on my own.

I’ve definitely experienced that there are diminishing returns on what you can accomplish as you add more people to a Disney parks group. The amount I can get done on my own is almost comical compared to what we get done in a larger group (even when everyone is relatively experienced with Disney). I still prefer a group of 2-4, which is still pretty efficient, but probably prefer being on my own to anything larger.

SAFD: While I love going to Disney with my family, and have many cherished memories from our trips, I honestly prefer to do MW solo. I don't have to tip-toe around the room in the dark getting ready in the morning, and I don't have to feel guilty about going to bed at 8pm. I can eat where I want, when I want, and getting Genie+ for one person versus 4 is a reasonable "splurge" (although I still hate it).
I will usually bring a book and have no qualms about reading while dining alone in a restaurant. For MW, I usually share some park time with my running buddy too.

SAFD: With two kids enrolled in private school, there just aren't vacation funds for a solo trip. We are lucky to have a big family vacation every 3-4 years with a short, more localized weekend trip during the off years. I think even when they are grown and gone I will want my husband to travel with me, even if he spends more time in the room.

I don’t hesitate to book earlier flights in or later flights out if the math works out (I can never save enough on flights to pay for an extra day at Disney, obviously, but if I can save $50 on a flight and get a room at or below the rate for the rest of my stay, yeah, I can talk myself into an extra day at Disney).
Disney math!

SAFD: I have always done MW solo. My kids are young and while I wish my family was there to see me run, it would be hard to have them there with my early bedtimes and not spending a ton of time in the parks. When I'm solo I enjoy doing the parks at a much slower pace like sitting down with coffee and people watching. I even take the time to do my hair in the morning which I never have time to do when my family is with me. Small things, ya know!? One of the best parts of being solo is getting to do whatever you want, whenever you want. Downside is always eating alone. I'll be back this year solo and my family will be joining for the DL portion. Can't wait!

I'm local and have driven to all the races by myself but usually hang out with friends who come down for Princess Weekend, so I don't know if that counts, haha.

For the Marathon Weekend 10k I will be by myself, husband will need to drive our son to daycare that morning. I'll have friends in town for Princess again. Springtime Surprise 10 miler I'll be by myself again, although since it's on a Sunday I might ask my mom to watch my son so my husband can drive me/cheer at the finish line.

I've done many Disney trips with family and solo. Both have benefits, but race weekends are either solo or with family members who are also doing the races. We are like minded which helps a ton. We're in and out at the expo, always aware of opportunities to sit at the parks and generally enjoy the same attractions. If we want to do different attractions we split up and then reconvene later.

One great thing about being solo is meals. As others have said I can eat what I want without much fuss, and sometimes get into the lounges faster instead of being on a waitlist for the main restaurants.

SAFD: I've only done one solo trip for W&D last year and it was great.

Not for the early wakeups or sleep times- my kids aren't allowed to complain about early hours when they get all expenses paid trips to WDW. It's payback for all those sleepless nights 🤣

It's the opportunity to go to all the meetups to see online friends without feeling guilty that I'm abandoning my family or that they're missing park time because of me.

But like others, solo trips are hard on the wallet.

I have done a bunch of solo trips to both WDW and Disneyland. Like most have said, the freedom to go whichever park you want, do whatever you want, waste as much time as you want, eat what you want, is the best thing about going solo. You can switch plans on a dime not feel bad about it. When I am solo, I get so much done that I usually get bored towards the end of the night and never make it to park close. I will usually make it to park close the first or second night and then after that it is usually back to the room around 9pm or to Disney Springs for some ice cream and people watching.

The one thing that does suck is doing some of the rides solo. My last solo trip I went on 7 Dwarfs and the family behind me an odd number and their young daughter had to ride with me. I could tell she wanted no part of it and that the family was really keeping an eye on her. Kind of an awkward ride.

SAFD: Have never done a solo trip but will be going solo to MW this year. Only doing the half so haven’t decided if it will include any park time yet as I’ll be flying to California Sunday and will meet up with my wife there leading up to the DL race weekend. I’m considering this my test for a possible solo Dopey in 2025.

SAFD: I like my solo race trips (WnD and Ottawa) for the ease of managing everyone desires, expectations, hunger and tiredness: Mine! The flexibility can’t be beaten.

However, one running partner (DD or DH) also provides an enjoyable experience providing they communicate said desires, expectations, hunger and tiredness.

Going with many people and running Dopey was not such a glorious experience for me.

The things I enjoyed the most on my runDisney solo trip were:
- Rope dropping MK
- Eating snacks for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner
- Character meet or shows that no one ever wants to do
- Floating in the pool
- DISmeets… which continued at the After party

The things that I missed:
- Sharing the excitement with someone
- My family in general

I did the Dopey solo last year. As numerous others have said, the upside is that you can keep the odd hours without worrying about anyone else. For me, it also meant that I could have my different running gear and costumes all laid out on the other bed and basically take up the whole room. I'm pretty low maintenance, so I didn't need housekeeping, especially with the odd hours. This led to a "wellness check" by a cast member who insisted on forcing his way into the room, never mind that I'm screaming that everything is OK as I try to grab a towel because I was doing a post-race soak in the tub after either the half or the full. I still have to wonder what if that had been my wife in there instead of me.
I don't know if this is some kind of policy, or just a rogue cast member up to no good, but be aware of it.

The downside of solo is eating alone and doing some of the rides solo. I will say this, I went to the English restaurant in Epcot after the half or full, and being solo they were able to get me a table quickly, even with no reservation. I like having someone to share experiences with, even if it is another runner and not family. I don't mind striking up conversations with other park guests, but sometimes everyone else around you is engaged with their family and friends, so you are standing there in line with no one to talk to. I might be able to have my younger son down there in a non-running capacity, but cheering me on and enjoying the parks. If so, that will be cool.
If not, I'm happy to have someone join me at HS on Saturday after the half, and probably Epcot on Sunday after the marathon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter