Marathon Weekend Weather

Amen Kira,
PS and Lord could we hold off the blizzard snows until all marathon participants are in sunny Florida? :goodvibes Just 24 - 48 hours :rolleyes1

Kira You are too funny! But add my Amen to that wish, too! I think with the latest forecast (the wind!) I may finally put the thought of shorts out of my mind (I have run in them in the 30's before) At this point I'm thinking tights, and either LS top or SS top and wind jacket (most likely). Plus I made myself a WISH button yesterday---color is a little off, but I hope it works for recognition purposes. That and my temp tattoo.

Maura

OK, I just did a "clothing test" here in Philadelphia, in conditions similar to what we will have for the races. According to weather.com currently here it is 31 degrees, with 11mph winds, gusting to 23mph.

I was wearing:
short sleeve tech shirt
long sleeve tech shirt
short sleeve WISH shirt on top
UA compression tights
running skirt
gloves
hat

I stood around for a bit in my throwaway clothes to see how it feels - they were a hooded sweatshirt and sweatpants. I think I may need to add another layer on top for before the race if its windy, because I really felt the chill when the wind blew (I want to check out those Tyvek jackets Charles has mentioned since I don't really have a "throw-away windbreaker"!). My legs were toasty with the tights and the sweats!

I then took the sweatshirt and sweatpants off and did a few turns around the block to see how I felt. For the actual race I think I may be running the first few miles with the sweats, but we'll see how it goes.

My legs were fine with the tights (I LOVE those things!), and my core felt good also (I heat up fast). The only thing that surprised me is with the wind, my cheeks and chin were very cold - freezing in fact. I had to keep breathing through my gloves to be comfortable. It was OK when the wind wasn't blowing, but as soon as a gust came up my face really started to freeze. So I think I will add a scarf to my list of items to bring.

I hope this helps someone. I feel reassured, but I sure would like it better if the wind wouldn't blow!!

Kira first - thank you for taking one for the team!! :thumbsup2

and as I read it to dh and came to the part...
Kira said:
I heat up fast
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
:rotfl:

Am I the only one who thinks this line is hilarious :lmao:You are only planning on keeping your pants on until you warm up - any other setting and that would be a flasher. Is it me or is it taper madness - I think I am getting loopy :confused3
:rotfl2:

taper madness

Thanks Kira! A scarf has been added to my bulging suitcase.

I would also pray for light wind on Saturday too!

Hey popping back in....

I read a couple posts and I guess I have never really relayed that once we are in the corrals things will warm a bit. At least the wind affect dies off (some). Well, maybe those poor unfortunate folks who want to be near the edge are still affected.

Seriously the middle of the corral and leeward (down wind if you have never been onthe water) side of thecorrals will feel a little warmer.

Caution - Mile 1of the red and half course WILL BE Cooler. There is a small micro climate from a creek there (or from something) that makes that quarter mile feel dang cold - even on a hot day. (it is just before the "EPCOT EXIT" on the roadway. The after that pack should keep you a little warmer than the wind chill indicates. I find that as long as the wind is from the front of the race you will have some protection from the wind.

Do like me (or folks behind me as I am a little wide) and draft off of someone. You can move a little left or right to find the sweet spot of the draft!:banana:

Kira - I put on layers and went outside (In Chicago,w/o windchill temp is 20 deg I dont think the wind was a factor)

I highly suggest a balaclava hat/hoodie - I got mine at Kohl's when I have a scarf, it tends to get loose, then I have to futz with it in the moment -

but if it gets sunny out - I'd want to toss it... :confused3 too many choices!!

Yea, this will be the only race where I'll want to stay with the pack. Usually I am looking for running room.

Duane

This is so hard to decide what to do! I live in FL and went shopping for throw away clothes today - guess what- there's nothing left out there! Wal Mart was totally out of sweat pants and shirts. I got some really thin pants on sale at Sports Authority- I thought maybe I could layer them with other stuff, but so far I don't have other stuff! I may have to pay more for my throw away stuff than I thought.

I did get hand warmers, gloves and one of those skiing headband things for my ears though.

These clothing threads are cracking me up! I have visions of what we'll look like pre-race. Thousands of bundled up runners wearing hats, gloves, and garbage bags. :rotfl2: What a photo op for Disney this year will be... bet we don't make it into their promotional materials for future marathons! :rotfl:

Sandy - how can I find you on Saturday? I'd love to meet you, but my flight doesn't land in time to make it to the WISH meet. I'm thinking of putting Home Depot lime green mickeys on my garbage bag - I'll be lookin good! :lmao:

Safe travels everyone!!

We had frost today, actual real life frost, I didn't even know how to de-ice the car because I have only ever had it in FL! :lmao:

Just a quick word of warning guys, I ran this morning and while it didn't feel so bad in the sun when it got windy, or in the shade it was COLD!!! My new plan includes not throwing away all my throwaway clothes as soon as a get a little warm, I might need them later for a shady area.

I will get rid of most of them but maybe keep a jacket around my waist or something :confused3 that sun is still really strong, but without it its no fun :scared1:

Kirsty

These clothing threads are cracking me up! I have visions of what we'll look like pre-race. Thousands of bundled up runners wearing hats, gloves, and garbage bags. :rotfl2: What a photo op for Disney this year will be... bet we don't make it into their promotional materials for future marathons! :rotfl:

Sandy - how can I find you on Saturday? I'd love to meet you, but my flight doesn't land in time to make it to the WISH meet. I'm thinking of putting Home Depot lime green mickeys on my garbage bag - I'll be lookin good! :lmao:

Safe travels everyone!!

I will be wearing LOTS of clothes :rotfl:

pre race - I will go thru the tent, and in the runners only area - I'll sit with all the other bundled up WISH'ers - I'll have on my dark green polar tech fleece coat - and probably a black balaclava hat/neck fleece! and I may throw on the WISH Hat - and I will cut up the lime green fleece and use that to stand out EVEN more!! :rotfl2:

cant wait to meet you too! :goodvibes

We had frost today, actual real life frost, I didn't even know how to de-ice the car because I have only ever had it in FL! :lmao:

Just a quick word of warning guys, I ran this morning and while it didn't feel so bad in the sun when it got windy, or in the shade it was COLD!!! My new plan includes not throwing away all my throwaway clothes as soon as a get a little warm, I might need them later for a shady area.

I will get rid of most of them but maybe keep a jacket around my waist or something :confused3 that sun is still really strong, but without it its no fun :scared1:

Kirsty

I guess I should've posted the credit card/et el trick... instead of an ice scrapper in a pinch just grab one of your credit type cards and scrape off that annoying frost!!

Hey all you people with fifteen layers on....please please please toss them off the SIDE of the course when you start disrobing. Don't make this old lady hurdle over piles of clearance sweats. :thumbsup2

Judy--I was thinking the same thing. I feel like it is going to be a maze of clothes all over the course in the first few miles. This should be interesting!

My 50th marathon and it's going to be my coldest - in Florida! Oh well, if it starts above 32 that's the warmest I will have seen for running in 3 weeks!

Weather.com

Fri: 7am, 44°F Mostly Cloudy Feels like 41°F rain % 10% Humidity 79% From SW 6 mph

Sat 4am 39°F Showers 31°F 40% 65% From NNW 13 mph
Sat 7am 36°F Showers 28°F 40% 76% From NW 11 mph

Thats as far as the hour by hour reports go.

For a few days, I've been so flummoxed by the weather reports (and I LIKE to run in the cold!) that I have forgotten.....I have to run 26.2 miles! :scared1:

So of course my psyche fought back. Two weird race dreams the last two nights....

Maura

My Fox 35 Orlando has just said SNOW FLURRIES for friday night / saturday morning!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter