MCO airport security with an Autistic 5 year old?

xxpeplyxx

x Disney Mummy x
Hey all, I feel like I've not posted in so long. But today we paid the holiday off and we are in double digits!!! So excited!

My 5 year old son has autism, he is non verbal and has very little understanding of anything. Not going to lie im dreading travel day, and have already booked a pre travel day dr's appointment in hopes i can get some medication prescribed to help him calm down should we need it. He can have 11 hour meltdowns if he isn't coping. Now the restrictions that he will have on the plane alone will be very difficult for him. So when it comes to the long wait in security lines after, I know this will be one step too far for him, If we had his special needs stroller directly from the plane we could at least strap him in for his and others safety, but knowing we cannot get his SEN stroller until we have passed through security to bag claim is an added stress. I know there are wheelchairs but these do not have a harness so would not work for him. Is there any way of bypassing security lines, even if it means waiting in a secure room where he could move freely whilst the rest of my family wait in line, then we just join them, when they are at the front. I have seen about MCO reserve to like bypass security lines, but upon looking at this, it ends 5pm, we do not land until 17:55pm so we cannot even use this as an option.

I would very much appreciate any and all information anyone has to offer us.
Thanks in advance x

Is it possible to gate-check the stroller so it will be brought up immediately, like a wheelchair? Granted we haven't flown international, but that's how we've handled DD's special needs stroller in the past on domestic (US) flights.

Since you are traveling from the UK, are you familiar with the Sunflower Lanyard? I'm not sure it's recognized much here in the US (maybe some airports more than others) but it might help at least at your home airport.

Hey all, I feel like I've not posted in so long. But today we paid the holiday off and we are in double digits!!! So excited!

My 5 year old son has autism, he is non verbal and has very little understanding of anything. Not going to lie im dreading travel day, and have already booked a pre travel day dr's appointment in hopes i can get some medication prescribed to help him calm down should we need it. He can have 11 hour meltdowns if he isn't coping. Now the restrictions that he will have on the plane alone will be very difficult for him. So when it comes to the long wait in security lines after, I know this will be one step too far for him, If we had his special needs stroller directly from the plane we could at least strap him in for his and others safety, but knowing we cannot get his SEN stroller until we have passed through security to bag claim is an added stress. I know there are wheelchairs but these do not have a harness so would not work for him. Is there any way of bypassing security lines, even if it means waiting in a secure room where he could move freely whilst the rest of my family wait in line, then we just join them, when they are at the front. I have seen about MCO reserve to like bypass security lines, but upon looking at this, it ends 5pm, we do not land until 17:55pm so we cannot even use this as an option.

I would very much appreciate any and all information anyone has to offer us.
Thanks in advance x
MCO participates in the Sunflower Lanyard programme and you will LOVE IT! You can read about it here:
SUNFLOWER LANYARD

You can also contact TSA and arrange for an agent to help you through the entire process of getting to the other side of security Read about that here and watch a Video
TSA CARES

****I'm not sure if this will help when you ARRIVE in MCO since it looks like you will need to clear customs when you land? We come from Canada and pre-clear customs in Toronto. HOWEVER this will make it much easier to leave from MCO, there is even signage showing you where to enter the security area
photo_2023-05-18_12-11-14.jpg

I know this will be one step too far for him, If we had his special needs stroller directly from the plane we could at least strap him in for his and others safety, but knowing we cannot get his SEN stroller until we have passed through security to bag claim is an added stress.
I'm not sure this is true. You gate check a power chair or any mobility device. You get it at disembarking. Sometimes you even wait on the plane until it's out. I did this pre-Covid with a normal stroller mutliple times. It's not like they expect you to carry the kid.

I don't see why this would be different?

Heck, worst case scenario, rent a power chair?

Going the other way, MCO is one of my least favorite airports anywhere, and I travel a lot. I would look into the sunflower badge, but I wouldn't expect it to mean much. I'd also seriously consider sticking to carry-on luggage. Baggage claim at MCO is an ordeal. I've never cleared customs at MCO, but if it's run as well as the rest of the airport I wouldn't have high expectations. MCO is consistently in the longest waits for security and bags in the US.

If you qualify, I might consider paying for Clear. Clear has all of the bells and whistles, like some special prebookings and such at MCO, because it's such a mess. I don't use these, because my home airport doesn't require this mess, but Clear is a good option.

And there are absolutely wheelchairs with harnesses. I recommend going to a mobility store locally and also in FL to see the difference in what is modern, you might be surprised. My family member uses a Whill, which was a dream just a few years ago. Any mobility store that sells Whill will have so many options that aren't Whill.

Last edited:

Is it possible to gate-check the stroller so it will be brought up immediately, like a wheelchair? Granted we haven't flown international, but that's how we've handled DD's special needs stroller in the past on domestic (US) flights.

Since you are traveling from the UK, are you familiar with the Sunflower Lanyard? I'm not sure it's recognized much here in the US (maybe some airports more than others) but it might help at least at your home airport.
I am unsure, I have never seen this be the case when we have travelled before, they usually just tell people to use the wheelchairs provided in the corridor, but i shall be sure to check this out as it would be a godsend to have his stroller there for when we get off the plane.
I have heard of the sunflower lanyard yes and will be sure to have one for for when we go, typically we have never had to use one as the only places we really go are places that we have not needed it, or places with a local charity which the charity basically hires out places after closing and then offer a lower number of slots to make the experience a much better one for children with additional needs, its been a godsend.
This will be the furthest we have travelled with him since we first went when he was 4 months old, so anything could make this a smoother process I'm willing to try, when I have looked in the past people have mentioned the lanyard being recognised at MCO but that its very hit or miss.

Are you talking about arriving at MCO on an international flight? You won't go through security. You will go through immigration and customs.

The trick to avoid more wait time for your bags is to keep them with you once you've exited the immigration area. Do NOT put them on the belt to be transferred to the terminal. Bring them on the APM with you.

I am unsure, I have never seen this be the case when we have travelled before, they usually just tell people to use the wheelchairs provided in the corridor, but i shall be sure to check this out as it would be a godsend to have his stroller there for when we get off the plane.
It's not a stroller, it's a mobility device. This is an important distinction, though not in this case because I believe they gatecheck normal strollers as well, when you go through customs. It's not like they expect a 2 year old to walk two miles to customs. These airports are BIG, and it's not like you could even do it without a stroller.

At Disney, you get the stroller tagged as a wheelchair.

Oh, to help with not overpacking and hopefully not checking bags, Walmart+ delivers whatever you need to the resort, including alcohol, toiletries, clothes, diapers, anything. It is very easy in suburban America (which is what Disney is, though it does not appear to be) to get anything delivered at a reasonable price. It might be smarter to buy a whole bottle of shampoo. You can price this out on the website.

I'm not sure this is true. You gate check a power chair or any mobility device. You get it at disembarking. Sometimes you even wait on the plane until it's out. I did this pre-Covid with a normal stroller mutliple times. It's not like they expect you to carry the kid.

I don't see why this would be different?

Heck, worst case scenario, rent a power chair?

Going the other way, MCO is one of my least favorite airports anywhere, and I travel a lot. I would look into the sunflower badge, but I wouldn't expect it to mean much. I'd also seriously consider sticking to carry-on luggage. Baggage claim at MCO is an ordeal. I've never cleared customs at MCO, but if it's run as well as the rest of the airport I wouldn't have high expectations. MCO is consistently in the longest waits for security and bags in the US.

If you qualify, I might consider paying for Clear. Clear has all of the bells and whistles, like some special prebookings and such at MCO, because it's such a mess. I don't use these, because my home airport doesn't require this mess, but Clear is a good option.

And there are absolutely wheelchairs with harnesses. I recommend going to a mobility store locally and also in FL to see the difference in what is modern, you might be surprised. My family member uses a Whill, which was a dream just a few years ago. Any mobility store that sells Whill will have so many options that aren't Whill.

I have never done so with a normal stroller and never been able to which is why I asked, and yes they do expect you to carry your child, last time we had a 2 year old, 4 year old and 4 month old, we could not access our double and single strollers until we got through security. However people rushing to get to the line sent my 4 year old flying into the lined up wheelchairs, smashed his head into one and the side of his back into another :( but airport staff saw this and actually got us out of the queue and put us to the front of the queue to be rushed through so he could be checked out as he had a pretty nasty bump to the head. But prior to that when we travelled with him at 22 months old we had to wait 2 hours in security line and it was brutal. But we have always just accepted it and have always been amongst many other people in the same position. But I will enquire about this anyhow. As for a power chair this wont work for him, he would freak out in one.

Carry on luggage wont work for us unfortunately we are flying from the UK and wouldn't be able to fit what we need into just carry on, needing nappies, wipes and certain foods we will need both normal luggage and hand luggage, however we have always been quite lucky with baggage claim, besides one of us can leave baggage claim area with Hudson, whilst the others wait back.

As for the wheelchair harnesses I meant the ones the airport provides to use after disembarking the plane to use whilst wait in security queue line, they are just basic free ones, and don't have harnesses so would not be suitable for Hudson :(

Had not heard of Clear, it sounds good, im happy to pay for an option to make it all a smoother process so thanks for this info i will be sure to look into it :D

I have never done so with a normal stroller and never been able to which is why I asked, and yes they do expect you to carry your child, last time we had a 2 year old, 4 year old and 4 month old, we could not access our double and single strollers until we got through security.
If you checked them as baggage, that is where they will go, baggage claim. If you gate check them at boarding, they go to the gate. I did this many times pre-customs through half a dozen US airports before Covid, with a normal stroller.

Treat this like a wheelchair, call it a mobility device. There are people who are not mobile and must have their wheelchairs when they get off the plane, these are gate checked. There's no way they won't gate check a special needs mobility device. In the US, it's legally mandated.

Had not heard of Clear, it sounds good, im happy to pay for an option to make it all a smoother process so thanks for this info i will be sure to look into it :D
They recently launched a new section of this that's FREE. Just need to check if your airline/airport is included in the list that can access this - my friend used it last weekend on my recommendation and she was thru security in under 10 minutes!
Reserve by Clear FREE version

Hi, a few posts here are saying if you check your stroller when you get in the aircraft U.K. side, you pick it up when you disembark the aircraft. This was not our experience- travelled with a double stroller a few months pre covid and didn’t get the stroller until we reached baggage claim (the nearly 3 hour custom line was super fun!)
I would think if you ensure that the cabin crew know it’s a mobility device they could arrange for it to be there when you exit the aircraft but I’m not sure. Most airlines have a special assistance department so I would suggest contacting them before you travel and hopefully they can give you correct advice.

Hi, a few posts here are saying if you check your stroller when you get in the aircraft U.K. side, you pick it up when you disembark the aircraft. This was not our experience- travelled with a double stroller a few months pre covid and didn’t get the stroller until we reached baggage claim (the nearly 3 hour custom line was super fun!)
There are weight and size limits on strollers on gate checking on international flights, but this is a mobility device. Obviously wheelchairs are going to be bigger than strollers, and people need them. There are wheelchairs that are very large and very heavy, and they're not optional devices.

This is worth a call or email to the airline to make sure it can be gate checked as a mobility device.

thanks
MCO participates in the Sunflower Lanyard programme and you will LOVE IT! You can read about it here:
SUNFLOWER LANYARD

You can also contact TSA and arrange for an agent to help you through the entire process of getting to the other side of security Read about that here and watch a Video
TSA CARES

****I'm not sure if this will help when you ARRIVE in MCO since it looks like you will need to clear customs when you land? We come from Canada and pre-clear customs in Toronto. HOWEVER this will make it much easier to leave from MCO, there is even signage showing you where to enter the security area
View attachment 761427
thanks so much for this reply. I will be sure to check it out, we are international so its a long process but any information is good information

I would think if you ensure that the cabin crew know it’s a mobility device they could arrange for it to be there when you exit the aircraft but I’m not sure. Most airlines have a special assistance department so I would suggest contacting them before you travel and hopefully they can give you correct advice.
Yes this was our experience too both times we have travelled with little ones, last time we had a 4 month old and 2 and 4 year old, but due to horrible passengers rushing to the security line to hopefully bypass it they injured my son and then we all got bumped to the front of the queue anyway, but had that not happened we would have had to wait without any strollers. Same when we went in 2016 with our 22 month old we had to wait in the security line and couldn't get his stroller until baggage claim. Im going to ring BA tomorrow and see what advice they can offer, keeping everything crossed x

There are weight and size limits on strollers on gate checking on international flights, but this is a mobility device. Obviously wheelchairs are going to be bigger than strollers, and people need them. There are wheelchairs that are very large and very heavy, and they're not optional devices.

This is worth a call or email to the airline to make sure it can be gate checked as a mobility device.
To be fair I had not even thought of it as that, but he can walk, he is just not safe out of it, if that makes sense, so he is prone to hurting himself and others if he is not secured in his stroller. He will self harm unfortunately, and go on a physical rampage to anyone close by, not good in a queue full of hundreds of other passengers. He will head butt walls, floors, anything really if he cannot cope. Like I know the holiday in general will be fine he loves being busy, loves being out and about, but I feel the flight will cause him enough stress to then be followed by more restriction and no freedom will just push him over the edge. But I had not thought about contacting the airline to see if there was any way they could make an allowance for his SEN stroller. its certainly worth an ask, i shall call them tomorrow and let you know what they say, in the meantime i will keep everything crossed, thanks so much for taking the time to help me so much x

Oh, to help with not overpacking and hopefully not checking bags, Walmart+ delivers whatever you need to the resort, including alcohol, toiletries, clothes, diapers, anything. It is very easy in suburban America (which is what Disney is, though it does not appear to be) to get anything delivered at a reasonable price. It might be smarter to buy a whole bottle of shampoo. You can price this out on the website.
I've been so many times and not realised Walmart delivers to resorts, learn something new every day. We are staying at Disney so wont be taking toiletries, but we will take clothes, and his diapers/nappies as they are provided to us free by a medical company here in the UK and he will only wear those ones, because they are plain, not colours or patterns, patterns literally cause him to have a panic attack and if you try and put them near him he starts vomiting. All fun and games lol.

Are you talking about arriving at MCO on an international flight? You won't go through security. You will go through immigration and customs.

The trick to avoid more wait time for your bags is to keep them with you once you've exited the immigration area. Do NOT put them on the belt to be transferred to the terminal. Bring them on the APM with you.
Yes international, i knew it was immigration but for some reason I've always called it security lmao. Good Job you knew what i was talking about haha, typical of me.
Oh how I wish i had know this in 2010 when they told us the bags could be sent to the terminal................... the wait!! we could have cried haha, they told us it would be quicker...... they lied!!! we learnt the hard way. wont be making that mistake ever again!

I have heard of the sunflower lanyard yes and will be sure to have one for for when we go, typically we have never had to use one as the only places we really go are places that we have not needed it, or places with a local charity which the charity basically hires out places after closing and then offer a lower number of slots to make the experience a much better one for children with additional needs, its been a godsend.
This will be the furthest we have travelled with him since we first went when he was 4 months old, so anything could make this a smoother process I'm willing to try, when I have looked in the past people have mentioned the lanyard being recognised at MCO but that its very hit or miss.
I would contact the airline you are using. It is very common in the US to gate check strollers. If you do that, it would be pulled from under the plane first and be waiting for you in the jetway.

As already mentioned MCO participate in the sunflower lanyard scheme so all staff who see you wearing that should be fully aware. Same at MAN, this is something they are very proud of and take great respect in it.
Unsure if you follow Paddy McGuinness or his wife (ex wife) on social media but they try and raise lots of awareness around it. Paddy was through MAN using it last week.

Can take a stroller through the special assistance lane, hand it over at the plane door to be added to the hold etc. I'm travelling with a toddler for the first time so have been doing a bit of research around buggy, baggage, hold vs hand luggage etc.

Certain at MCO when coming in from the UK they allow families with small children to take a shorter lane. Not experienced this myself, but have been around families when an agent has pulled them out to take a quicker route.

Speak to the airline, pre book special assistance. Will basically be a fast pass through security for you and eliminates any chance of a meltdown.

Good luck and enjoy your travels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter