Metal Shaped Mickey Ears

Here's my version! Used multiple strands of mini lights I picked up on clearance last year...same frame/stand model as OP.

Super Bright! Also a bit time consuming. I worked the lights where they poked thru to the front side.

P5210189.jpg

Looks great! :lovestruc

I thought about using those but I couldn't find them anywhere (Hobby Lobby used to carry them year round but not anymore!). I may have to stock up after Christmas and make me another one like yours for the next trip!

So I have all the parts to make one - question is will I regret it if I wait until I get to the fort to put it all together!?!? We are traveling with a popup and space is going to be tight so I'm thinking it will take less space in pieces. About how long does it take to put one together?!? Other than the tool to cut the ties with - will I need anything else?
Thanks!
Ellen

So I have all the parts to make one - question is will I regret it if I wait until I get to the fort to put it all together!?!? We are traveling with a popup and space is going to be tight so I'm thinking it will take less space in pieces. About how long does it take to put one together?!? Other than the tool to cut the ties with - will I need anything else?
Thanks!
Ellen

Took me a little over an hour but then again, I had a 2 year old to keep occupied at the same time. LOL!

Woohoo! Found 12 foot rope light in the light bulb section at Wal-mart (not home and garden like at Target). They had red, white or blue – I choose red to match the current bulbs in my Mickey head lamp post – hubby jokes we have the red light district going on outside our camper :banana:

I would have liked to use green zip ties for the frame and to also have found the single hoop loops but clear/white zip ties and the 4 hoop loops are good enough – I used red zip ties to attach the rope light.

The rope lights were $8 while the hoops and stand from Michaels were $11 - we had the zip ties in the camper already.

Woohoo! Found 12 foot rope light in the light bulb section at Wal-mart (not home and garden like at Target). They had red, white or blue – I choose red to match the current bulbs in my Mickey head lamp post – hubby jokes we have the red light district going on outside our camper :banana:

I would have liked to use green zip ties for the frame and to also have found the single hoop loops but clear/white zip ties and the 4 hoop loops are good enough – I used red zip ties to attach the rope light.

The rope lights were $8 while the hoops and stand from Michaels were $11 - we had the zip ties in the camper already.

Great job! It's perfect . . . :goodvibes

I went to Michael's and Target today and just finished my ears.

P1020757.jpg

The wreaths were $8.53 with tax from Michael's and the lights came from Target for $9.99. I went to Walmart first but could not find lights. I just now read someone found them in the light bulb section, not home and garden. I don't know what colors they had, if any. Target only had the white 12 foot strand.

I had a lot of rope extra at the end and it circled around the large circle a second time.

I went to Michael's and Target today and just finished my ears.

P1020757.jpg

The wreaths were $8.53 with tax from Michael's and the lights came from Target for $9.99. I went to Walmart first but could not find lights. I just now read someone found them in the light bulb section, not home and garden. I don't know what colors they had, if any. Target only had the white 12 foot strand.

I had a lot of rope extra at the end and it circled around the large circle a second time.

You did a great job . . . looks terrific! But is one enough?

Last Christmas I had three (red, green and white) in front of the house! This year I'll add my new blue one!

I just made one this week for our trip next month. My sister made a lamp post for me, and I did one of the wire wreath heads. But I used white Christmas tree lights because our Wally didn't have any rope lights in either the camping OR the light bulb section. It's super-bright and looks absolutely delightful. I have a couple pictures on my phone, but of course that won't do me any good here. Sorry. :)

If anyone is still looking for rope light in 12' lengths to make a Mickey light, here's a site where you can order them in seven different colours.

http://www.glowspace.com/12ft_Ropelight.htm

I'm building a pair in orange and purple for Halloween!

Let's get busy now, Christmas will be here before you know it! :thumbsup2

NOTE: Edited after initial post -this company no longer carries rope light! Sorry for the mistake!

If anyone is still looking for rope light in 12' lengths to make a Mickey light, here's a site where you can order them in seven different colours.

http://www.glowspace.com/12ft_Ropelight.htm

I'm building a pair in orange and purple for Halloween!

Let's get busy now, Christmas will be here before you know it! :thumbsup2

NOTE: Edited after initial post -this company no longer carries rope light! Sorry for the mistake!

Thank you!! I was just thinking I need to make another. I Love the different colors!!

We can get plenty of rope lights in 12' length in Canada, but I've only been able to find them in clear, red and green.

Last year I picked up an 18' length in blue and just wound it "doubled-up" a little further. The light looks good!

Today we took a drive across the border to Watertown and Syracuse, NY and scored 18' lengths in orange and purple. So I'll be whipping up a pair tomorrow. If you have a Spirit Halloween Store in your area, they carry 18' lengths in orange and purple.

http://www.spirithalloween.com/produ...Lights-Purple/

We also stopped at Walgreens and Carol picked up some great Disney themed Halloween decor! Wish we had Walgreens in Canada! :thumbsup2

Hey Gary... thanks for sharing this!! This fellow Canadian (and Doverite) will be making orange Mickey ears for our trip next Halloween..... Just picked up some orange rope lights at Big Lots 2 weeks ago.....

Hey Gary... thanks for sharing this!! This fellow Canadian (and Doverite) will be making orange Mickey ears for our trip next Halloween..... Just picked up some orange rope lights at Big Lots 2 weeks ago.....

Doesn't Paul carry 12' rope lights at Stoney's Hardware? I guess he doesn't have orange!

I just finished making my metal Mickey ears. The only problem I had was I could only find 18ft lengths in orange. I wanted the orange for Halloween this year. I had to get a little creative with the extra length so I hope people like it.

I made a few with 18' lights too!

Let's see if they look alike!

Our 18' lights are a bit different, my double lights are on the head, not the ears. Yours look great.

I brought 5 with me, so you'll find it hard to miss them!

DH got all the supplies to make this - but we can't find the 12 ft rope lights - our Lowe's and Target only had 18 ft. Anyone seen any 12 ft lights recently?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter