Mickey's Halloween Party and Halloween Time Superthread 2018!!

A party being sold out isn’t the same thing as the park being at capacity. We have been to 4 parties over 3 different years and always enjoy very short waits for rides. We focused on villains one year and got to see a bunch, and adore the Halloween fireworks. For us that makes the party worth it. We also can stay till close now because DD is a night owl now :)

Halloween Party Report for 9/21! Hopefully this helps if you're interested in treat trails or characters :)

This was our first Halloween party ever! We started in toontown, where people were lining up around 4:30 -5. We were already tired, so we sat by It's a Small World and got in line about 5:40. They let people into Toontown in stages, starting about 5 minutes until 6. We were maybe 6 groups back. By the time they started letting people in, there was a HUGE crowd behind us. Again, we had never been to a party and didn't know what to expect. We wanted mostly to meet characters, but there were none out at first and we were ushered into a treat trail. By the time we got out, the characters had insanely long lines, and it was no longer worth it to us. We did the rest of the treat trails in Toontown, and headed out around 6:45. At this point, we noticed that the Fantasyland Theater had a treat trail open. We went through it and found Chip and Dale with almost no line at the end. Their photo op also had a really cute back drop! After meeting Chip & Dale, we headed to Frontierland by way of big thunder treat trail, with the intentions of seeing the Cadaver Dans. We noticed that Peter Pan had a short line, so we waited in that and got to meet Peter and Wendy around 7:10 on the Mark Twain dock. Captain Hook and Smee weren't out yet, but Captain Jack showed up while we were in line, and they let us meet both while staying in the same line. Photopass was with both characters, but FYI it was SUPER dark over there, and the characters couldn't see to sign autographs.

By this time we had missed the Cadaver Dans, and knew we wanted to see the next showing. We stopped by Rancho de Zocalo to see what the wait time for Mickey and Minnie was, but the cast member said it was about 45 minutes around 7:15. We decided to skip it and go to Adventureland to meet Baloo and King Louie! We were expecting a huge line, but there were only 3 people in front of us. There was no photopass, and the lighting was terrible. They are meeting in the Tropical Imports stroller area. Baloo signs autographs and King Louie does not. They were AMAZING!!! They switched out with Jane and Turk (Jane wasn't listed on the app (every 30 minutes). We stopped by a few times to see if we could get Jane and Turk, and the line was never very long.

Next we went to French Market to see Constance and/or Sally. The line was maybe 15 minutes and there was a photopass photographer. Constance was AMAZING and took her time with each person. My husband, who had no idea who she was at first, said it was one of his favorite meet and greets of the trip. It was awesome. I didn't ask if she signed autographs. By the time we were done, Cadaver Dans started again, so we watched them. They were amazing! We did the treat trail by Rivers of America, and then headed to Tomorrowland. We got our AP gifts, did the treat trails there, and took a sit break (we were so tired) to watch the Pixar dance party. It was so fun, and I had forgotten it was even going on! We headed back to Adventureland to see if Jane/Turk was out (they were just wrapping up their set), and caught the tail end of the parade. Next, we headed down main street for the fireworks. It was during the fireworks that I finally noticed a lack of crowds. Normally it's packed like sardines while people are watching the fireworks, but there was plenty of room!!! We had a great view! We loved the fireworks and thought they were our favorite ever. We could still see Jack's head from the middle of main street.

After the fireworks, we hauled it down to town square, intending to get a great view of the second parade. We noticed Maleficent walking out with NO LINE. We followed her and were maybe like 4 people back. Hades came out too! We met her, and still had time to meet Governor Ratcliffe, Jafar, and Cruella before the parade. Evil Queen, Gaston, Stepsisters and Lady Tremaine, and Dr. Facillier were all out roaming around in Town Square, as well as Super Hero Goofy and Pirate Dale. It was AWESOME, and there was hardly anyone there. They stayed out for about 20 minutes, and then went back inside. We grabbed seats for the parade in front of the train station. There was SO MUCH room. Hardly anyone was watching it where we were! AS soon as the parade went by (awesome, but too short and super weird to have Vampirina end it), we hopped in line for what we hoped would be Hades, and we were right! He and Maleficent came back as soon as the parade was over, as did all the characters I previously mentioned. Maleficent was out for a solid hour. After Hades, we interacted with the Step Sisters (they were fantastic), and met Cruella and Dr. Facillier. All the roaming characters went backstage, and Hades/Maleficent switched out for Jafar/Cruella. Around 11:30, the rest of the characters did their little dance, which was awesome but was literally the same verse repeated over and over and over for 5+ minutes. Chip/Dale/Super Goof and Mr./Mrs. Incredible came out with them as well. Cruella and Jafar continued their meet and greets, and Cruella danced a lot. We left at 11:45 due to pure exhaustion. The Villains did not appear to have their line cut when we left.

All in all, it was AMAZING! I will say that I was WAY over ambitious thinking of all the things I would get done, but I am so glad we got to meet so many characters, and we had fun trick or treating! We didn't ride a single ride because we have DAS and aren't as interested in rides. Wait times appeared to be pretty low.

Regarding treat trails: They were pretty much all the same. If you are allergy and/or no sugar, only the first station at each trail had something for you. The sugar free offering were tootsie roll looking things and hard candy, and the allergy offering was lollipops or gummy bears. When we asked for these things, the CMs didn't know where they were located at first. Cast Members were clearly trained to give out a certain amount of items, and for any non-candy item it was always 1 each. Even for carrots and apples (which was a bummer for me because I could literally only eat the Pirate's booty and carrots). We got lots of pirates booty, original flavored sun chips, keebler grahams, goldfish grahams, goldfish pretzels, freeze dried apples, carrots, and tons of candy. We did the main street trails around 11 pm, and there was literally nobody there, except one person who kept going through them over and over. The CMs were so happy to see us because they were bored.

Side note- We saw a couple of FULL ON cosplayers (Mary/Bert and Aurora). I honestly wish that weren't allowed, because I completely confused them with the characters. I also saw them interacting with kids and taking pictures with them.

PS: All the decorations and details they had just for the party were amazing! We loved the castle projections.

PPS: People were camped out in front of the castle for fireworks when we walked by around 8:15.

Halloween Party Report for 9/21! Hopefully this helps if you're interested in treat trails or characters :)

This was our first Halloween party ever! We started in toontown, where people were lining up around 4:30 -5. We were already tired, so we sat by It's a Small World and got in line about 5:40. They let people into Toontown in stages, starting about 5 minutes until 6. We were maybe 6 groups back. By the time they started letting people in, there was a HUGE crowd behind us. Again, we had never been to a party and didn't know what to expect. We wanted mostly to meet characters, but there were none out at first and we were ushered into a treat trail. By the time we got out, the characters had insanely long lines, and it was no longer worth it to us. We did the rest of the treat trails in Toontown, and headed out around 6:45. At this point, we noticed that the Fantasyland Theater had a treat trail open. We went through it and found Chip and Dale with almost no line at the end. Their photo op also had a really cute back drop! After meeting Chip & Dale, we headed to Frontierland by way of big thunder treat trail, with the intentions of seeing the Cadaver Dans. We noticed that Peter Pan had a short line, so we waited in that and got to meet Peter and Wendy around 7:10 on the Mark Twain dock. Captain Hook and Smee weren't out yet, but Captain Jack showed up while we were in line, and they let us meet both while staying in the same line. Photopass was with both characters, but FYI it was SUPER dark over there, and the characters couldn't see to sign autographs.

By this time we had missed the Cadaver Dans, and knew we wanted to see the next showing. We stopped by Rancho de Zocalo to see what the wait time for Mickey and Minnie was, but the cast member said it was about 45 minutes around 7:15. We decided to skip it and go to Adventureland to meet Baloo and King Louie! We were expecting a huge line, but there were only 3 people in front of us. There was no photopass, and the lighting was terrible. They are meeting in the Tropical Imports stroller area. Baloo signs autographs and King Louie does not. They were AMAZING!!! They switched out with Jane and Turk (Jane wasn't listed on the app (every 30 minutes). We stopped by a few times to see if we could get Jane and Turk, and the line was never very long.

Next we went to French Market to see Constance and/or Sally. The line was maybe 15 minutes and there was a photopass photographer. Constance was AMAZING and took her time with each person. My husband, who had no idea who she was at first, said it was one of his favorite meet and greets of the trip. It was awesome. I didn't ask if she signed autographs. By the time we were done, Cadaver Dans started again, so we watched them. They were amazing! We did the treat trail by Rivers of America, and then headed to Tomorrowland. We got our AP gifts, did the treat trails there, and took a sit break (we were so tired) to watch the Pixar dance party. It was so fun, and I had forgotten it was even going on! We headed back to Adventureland to see if Jane/Turk was out (they were just wrapping up their set), and caught the tail end of the parade. Next, we headed down main street for the fireworks. It was during the fireworks that I finally noticed a lack of crowds. Normally it's packed like sardines while people are watching the fireworks, but there was plenty of room!!! We had a great view! We loved the fireworks and thought they were our favorite ever. We could still see Jack's head from the middle of main street.

After the fireworks, we hauled it down to town square, intending to get a great view of the second parade. We noticed Maleficent walking out with NO LINE. We followed her and were maybe like 4 people back. Hades came out too! We met her, and still had time to meet Governor Ratcliffe, Jafar, and Cruella before the parade. Evil Queen, Gaston, Stepsisters and Lady Tremaine, and Dr. Facillier were all out roaming around in Town Square, as well as Super Hero Goofy and Pirate Dale. It was AWESOME, and there was hardly anyone there. They stayed out for about 20 minutes, and then went back inside. We grabbed seats for the parade in front of the train station. There was SO MUCH room. Hardly anyone was watching it where we were! AS soon as the parade went by (awesome, but too short and super weird to have Vampirina end it), we hopped in line for what we hoped would be Hades, and we were right! He and Maleficent came back as soon as the parade was over, as did all the characters I previously mentioned. Maleficent was out for a solid hour. After Hades, we interacted with the Step Sisters (they were fantastic), and met Cruella and Dr. Facillier. All the roaming characters went backstage, and Hades/Maleficent switched out for Jafar/Cruella. Around 11:30, the rest of the characters did their little dance, which was awesome but was literally the same verse repeated over and over and over for 5+ minutes. Chip/Dale/Super Goof and Mr./Mrs. Incredible came out with them as well. Cruella and Jafar continued their meet and greets, and Cruella danced a lot. We left at 11:45 due to pure exhaustion. The Villains did not appear to have their line cut when we left.

All in all, it was AMAZING! I will say that I was WAY over ambitious thinking of all the things I would get done, but I am so glad we got to meet so many characters, and we had fun trick or treating! We didn't ride a single ride because we have DAS and aren't as interested in rides. Wait times appeared to be pretty low.

Regarding treat trails: They were pretty much all the same. If you are allergy and/or no sugar, only the first station at each trail had something for you. The sugar free offering were tootsie roll looking things and hard candy, and the allergy offering was lollipops or gummy bears. When we asked for these things, the CMs didn't know where they were located at first. Cast Members were clearly trained to give out a certain amount of items, and for any non-candy item it was always 1 each. Even for carrots and apples (which was a bummer for me because I could literally only eat the Pirate's booty and carrots). We got lots of pirates booty, original flavored sun chips, keebler grahams, goldfish grahams, goldfish pretzels, freeze dried apples, carrots, and tons of candy. We did the main street trails around 11 pm, and there was literally nobody there, except one person who kept going through them over and over. The CMs were so happy to see us because they were bored.

Side note- We saw a couple of FULL ON cosplayers (Mary/Bert and Aurora). I honestly wish that weren't allowed, because I completely confused them with the characters. I also saw them interacting with kids and taking pictures with them.

PS: All the decorations and details they had just for the party were amazing! We loved the castle projections.

PPS: People were camped out in front of the castle for fireworks when we walked by around 8:15.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like you had a fabulous time.:o

If our family isn't that interested in the parade and fireworks, would you still recommend getting a ticket for the Halloween party? We are typically all about rides and food when we hit the parks. Could we not just go to Disneyland on a non-party night and experience a lot of the same things? What things are exclusive to the party? With the parties all be sold out, makes me think the wait times during the party wouldn't be drastically different than a random weekday. Just daydreaming about going to DL next fall so I would love to hear some insight.

The wait times were all 0-10 minute waits during the party, aside from Haunted Mansion Holiday and Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy. The Halloween ticket is totally worth it for the short wait times, especially if it will be the only ticket you buy. We paid $115 for 8 hours of park time plus free treats, short lines, and exclusive entertainment, so to us, it was worth it since it was our only ticket. Might not be worth it if you have an AP or other day pass, though.

The wait times were all 0-10 minute waits during the party, aside from Haunted Mansion Holiday and Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy. The Halloween ticket is totally worth it for the short wait times, especially if it will be the only ticket you buy. We paid $115 for 8 hours of park time plus free treats, short lines, and exclusive entertainment, so to us, it was worth it since it was our only ticket. Might not be worth it if you have an AP or other day pass, though.
Everyone's definition of worth is going to be completely different. I have an AP and this will be our fifth time going. We absolutely love it! I actually love it more than Christmas time to be honest.

Everyone's definition of worth is going to be completely different. I have an AP and this will be our fifth time going. We absolutely love it! I actually love it more than Christmas time to be honest.
I agree -- there is much more to MHP than just the rides. You certainly can go to the party just for the rides; and the lines usually are shorter overall than they are during a busy day. But the atmosphere of the parties, the music, the costumes, the M&Gs, the fireworks, the parade, the camaraderie with your fellow guests, the trick or treating, etc. -- those are the things that make the parties really special and different from a regular park day. If someone doesn't care about those things, then it might be a better investment to put the money toward more days in the parks or toward hopper tickets with MP instead of MHP tickets.

Last edited:

I agree -- there is much more to MHP than just the rides. You certainly can go to the party just for the rides; and the lines usually are shorter overall than they are during a busy day. But the atmosphere of the parties, the music, the costumes, the M&Gs, the fireworks, the parade, the camaraderie with your fellow guests, the trick or treating, etc. -- those are the things that make the parties really special and different from a regular park day. If someone doesn't care about those things, then it might be a better investment to put the money toward more days in the parks or toward hopper tickets with MP instead of MHP tickets.
This is very true.

Last edited by a moderator:
We love to go on a lot of rides,too, but the party atmospere is the best. There is something special in the air...and everybody is excited and has fun.Can't wait for our party date 10/29.

Oh, I agree! Now that I’ve been to the party, I can see why everyone loves it so much. I was just responding to the poster who said they are there for the rides, and my answer was simply from a rides perspective. The entertainment and treats is a huge plus if you care about that stuff.

Halloween Party Report 9/24: General outline of what we did, what we accomplished, and overall thoughts/experience:
We got in "line" (there really isn't such a thing, which makes kind of a mess at California Adventure before MHP guests can enter) about 2:15 for a 3 PM entry. We were like 2nd in our line. CA was fairly uncrowded, I thought, for a Monday. Of course, it built as the evening went on, as guests from DL came over. We did Guardians twice (once MP once with a 15 min line at 3:15 pm), Ariel, Silly Symphony, Goofy's Sky School, GRR, RSR single rider (about 25 min when the standyby said 95), got a treat, met Groot, and got a few Photopass pics before hopping over at 6:45. We had a MP for Soarin at that point, but passed on it since we wanted to hit MHP sooner.
At that point the lines to enter DL were mostly nonexistant, and we got our bracelets and bags quickly. SM:GG was a 5 min wait, so we rode that, then waited 30 min+ for Peter Pan, even though the app said 20 min. I didn't find the app completely accurate for wait times during the party. We rode BTMM twice with 5-10 minute waits (and twice more at the end of the night without having to wait in line again), Mad Tea Party, Autopia, the carousel, the Storybook land canal boats, Star Tours, Astro Orbiter, HMH, did 6 treat trails, met Rey, and took several Photopass photos. My daughter wasn't interested in doing anything with a long line. Which means we skipped Mickey and Minnie (45 minutes!) and all the other villains/characters. Rey had no wait, and we caught her while doing the Star Wars treat trail. The longest wait was PP, followed by HMH at about 20 minutes. I was surprised by the treat trails, after hearing others' experience. We only got 1-3 things from each station, and did not completely fill our little bags they gave us with 6 treat trails. Those lines did move considerably faster at the end of the night, but they still gave out the same amount of candy. The atmosphere was awesome, and we had a great time with everything we did. (Except the longer-than-expected PP line) We didn't see any part of the parade, which I was a little disappointed in, but it was my daughter's trip, and she didn't want to sit around at all. We saw the fireworks on either side of us as we sat in the Storybook Land Canal boats, but didn't realize they would let us board but then just sit there as the fireworks happened. I wouldn't have done that if I had known that - we would run over to IASW to watch the projections. We got in line for HMH 4 minutes before 11 PM, and left the park about 11:45. (Did a little shopping) I'll be doing a little trip report (in my signature) over the next week.

Halloween Party Report 9/24: General outline of what we did, what we accomplished, and overall thoughts/experience:
We got in "line" (there really isn't such a thing, which makes kind of a mess at California Adventure before MHP guests can enter) about 2:15 for a 3 PM entry. We were like 2nd in our line. CA was fairly uncrowded, I thought, for a Monday. Of course, it built as the evening went on, as guests from DL came over. We did Guardians twice (once MP once with a 15 min line at 3:15 pm), Ariel, Silly Symphony, Goofy's Sky School, GRR, RSR single rider (about 25 min when the standyby said 95), got a treat, met Groot, and got a few Photopass pics before hopping over at 6:45. We had a MP for Soarin at that point, but passed on it since we wanted to hit MHP sooner.
At that point the lines to enter DL were mostly nonexistant, and we got our bracelets and bags quickly. SM:GG was a 5 min wait, so we rode that, then waited 30 min+ for Peter Pan, even though the app said 20 min. I didn't find the app completely accurate for wait times during the party. We rode BTMM twice with 5-10 minute waits (and twice more at the end of the night without having to wait in line again), Mad Tea Party, Autopia, the carousel, the Storybook land canal boats, Star Tours, Astro Orbiter, HMH, did 6 treat trails, met Rey, and took several Photopass photos. My daughter wasn't interested in doing anything with a long line. Which means we skipped Mickey and Minnie (45 minutes!) and all the other villains/characters. Rey had no wait, and we caught her while doing the Star Wars treat trail. The longest wait was PP, followed by HMH at about 20 minutes. I was surprised by the treat trails, after hearing others' experience. We only got 1-3 things from each station, and did not completely fill our little bags they gave us with 6 treat trails. Those lines did move considerably faster at the end of the night, but they still gave out the same amount of candy. The atmosphere was awesome, and we had a great time with everything we did. (Except the longer-than-expected PP line) We didn't see any part of the parade, which I was a little disappointed in, but it was my daughter's trip, and she didn't want to sit around at all. We saw the fireworks on either side of us as we sat in the Storybook Land Canal boats, but didn't realize they would let us board but then just sit there as the fireworks happened. I wouldn't have done that if I had known that - we would run over to IASW to watch the projections. We got in line for HMH 4 minutes before 11 PM, and left the park about 11:45. (Did a little shopping) I'll be doing a little trip report (in my signature) over the next week.
Awesome report! Where do you meet Groot at???

Just curious- did they have any gluten free treats in the trails? I'm not gluten free- I'm low Fodmap for medical reasons which means I can't have TOO much wheat and also sadly, apples are completely out for me. Candy is fine, but I'd also like some other things if possible.

Are we allowed to ask for more candy than they give out?

Oh, I agree! Now that I’ve been to the party, I can see why everyone loves it so much. I was just responding to the poster who said they are there for the rides, and my answer was simply from a rides perspective. The entertainment and treats is a huge plus if you care about that stuff.
Oh, totally! Which is why it is so hard to answer the "Is MHP worth it?" question we get every year. There just isn't one simple, textbook answer to that -- it totally depends on the person asking, on the context, on the kind of trip and the group the person will have, etc. MHP is about so much more than just rides. A person can do just rides and still have a great time, but there is so much more to the party than rides!

My son has decided to go as Jack. Any idea when Jack & Sally are meeting? I’m wondering if we should try to find them first thing to avoid longer lines later. What time should the TT party start on a weekday with a 6:00 pm party? Is there time to fit in Jack & Sally first?

Jack and Sally (not always together) meet throughout the day in New Orleans Square, in the area between Port Royale (HM & NBC Shop) and Pieces of Eight (PotC shop). They also meet at that same location during the party. The Toontown Pre-Party usually starts one hour before the party, so it will start at 5:00 pm (and end at 7:00 pm) on days when MHP starts at 6:00 pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter