• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Moonlight Magic for Epcot?

So I read this thread and looked at the times posted. Seems the Dec 11 Moonlight Madness ran out about 5-6 hours after the booking window opened? I tried to get them at around 6 pm and could not. I find it funny that DVC even suggested "off-site" Members could reserve starting Nov 7. That sure turned out to be a bit over-confident. My friends could not find a DVC or Disney hotel on property for their stay in the past months so they are staying offsite but are Members. They thought they might have a tiny bit of a chance to get tickets on Nov 7. But then I told them we couldn't even get them on day 1 :rolleyes1

Off-site has had availability for all the past park events so it really didn't seem to be unrealistic. Not real certain why this one went so fast. I suspect there were off-site people already booking but even so this went way different than the MK, AK and Water park events.

Off-site has had availability for all the past park events so it really didn't seem to be unrealistic. Not real certain why this one went so fast. I suspect there were off-site people already booking but even so this went way different than the MK, AK and Water park events.
Is it possible that they're just not letting in that many people to this event?
I'm thinking that because if only Future World is open, then there are only a handful of attractions open. Can 20,000 people go on 4 rides in 2 hours?

Is it possible that they're just not letting in that many people to this event?
I'm thinking that because if only Future World is open, then there are only a handful of attractions open. Can 20,000 people go on 4 rides in 2 hours?

Future World is HUGE though and the # of attractions isn't that different to other events. The AKV events only had 5 listed. The MK event we went to the first year did have more but I don't know what it was this year. I'd think the capacity for the Epcot event would be at least the same as the others.

My guess is that in addition to possibly lower guest numbers there simply may just be more qualified DVC members traveling in early Dec. It is commonly referenced here what a popular time the first two weeks in Dec are for DVC members. The other events ran at other times of year that are less popular with owners. Therefore there simply may be WAY more eligible people for these events vs the others. Renters, family members and “non qualified” members may have filled many rooms during the registration for the other events and enabled registration to stay open longer. Also if I recall correctly the MK event was only announced a few months in advance vs the Epcot one being announced much further out.

Oh the Member website stated the registration window opened for OFFSITE Members on Nov 7??? So if ONSITE Members, like myself, couldn't get a spot for Moonlight Madness, I would think that the concept of OFFSITE folks getting a reservation on Nov 7 seemed way off? Is it just me? Respectfully, maybe I'm missing something??
EDIT: Ohhhh, I get what you are saying! Yes.....I agree. This is why my expectations were taken for a loop Kathy. It was based on past events. This sell-out seemed SUPER fast. Feel a bit blind-sided. It shouldn't be this limiting for Members.

Last edited:
My guess is that in addition to possibly lower guest numbers there simply may just be more qualified DVC members traveling in early Dec. It is commonly referenced here what a popular time the first two weeks in Dec are for DVC members. The other events ran at other times of year that are less popular with owners. Therefore there simply may be WAY more eligible people for these events vs the others. Renters, family members and “non qualified” members may have filled many rooms during the registration for the other events and enabled registration to stay open longer. Also if I recall correctly the MK event was only announced a few months in advance vs the Epcot one being announced much further out.
Yes...guess I was spoiled by other Midnight Madness events....I was at work and no way to book at the crack of 9 o'clock. I never dreamed I would not be able to get a spot on opening registration day when I saw that offsite couldn't even book until Nov 7. Live and learn. I know these Moonlight events are replacing Merry Mixers....but at least no one was turned away from Merry Mixers. Much less stress than stalking the Member site FOR WEEKS only to not get a reservation on the first day it opened. Disappointing...........

Last edited:
Yes...guess I was spoiled by other Midnight Madness events....I was at work and no way to book at the crack of 9 o'clock. I never dreamed I would not be able to get a spot on opening registration day when I saw that offsite couldn't even book until Nov 7. Live and learn. I know these Moonlight events are replacing Merry Mixers....but at least no one was turned away from Merry Mixers. Must less stress than stalking the Member site FOR WEEKS only to not get a reservation on the first day it opened. Disappointing...........
I agree with you. Over the years we’ve been able to book 3 other evens, and given the fact there was a later date stated, it seemed there was going to be plenty of room for on site with extra room for the others. We got in without trouble. Keep trying, I hope someone cut registration off too soon.

Heads up - 2 openings.

I was able to change my reservation to December 4th, so as soon as I finish writing this, I'm going to cancel for December 11th - party of 2.

Good luck to anyone trying to pick up a reservation.

We are DVC members and have a reservation at AK Lodge but not DVC because everything was booked when we found great flights. We are annual passholders paying for our reservation and our DVC annual fees.Why shouldn't we be allowed to book with a reservation versus points?
Nowhere did it say that you had to be staying at a DVC resort. It said DVC owners staying at a WDW Resort. I'm not staying at a DVC resort at that point, but I've made a reservation for the event. I'll report back if I get bumped out...but I still think I'm fine based on what the wording was. Didn't say anything about staying on points.

I'm not complaining because I was able to get what I wanted but the Merry Mixer was nice. Nobody was left out and you could decide last minute if you wanted to stop in or not. I liked the ornaments.

I just booked 3 tickets to december 4th. need 2 more still
Good luck. I'm really surprised this sold out so quickly. I'm even more surprised the Dec 11 likewise sold out a few hours after Dec 4.

We plan on going in between 7:30-10:30-- at 10, we hope to just jump on Soarin and test track. We are going to have a 4, 6, and 8 year old. I'll be surprised if they last past 10pm, let alone 10:30. Maybe we will have someone stay in the the room (we are at BWV) while they sleep, while the other adults run over to Epcot...

My last two just went through as well. So I am all set for 5 tickets. Anyone know if a 1year old needs one?

Nowhere did it say that you had to be staying at a DVC resort. It said DVC owners staying at a WDW Resort. I'm not staying at a DVC resort at that point, but I've made a reservation for the event. I'll report back if I get bumped out...but I still think I'm fine based on what the wording was. Didn't say anything about staying on points.
I agree. I was replying to your original post suggesting it maybe should have been limited to those staying at a DVC resort. I too was able to get a reservation and think it is fine.

I wonder if any non eligible folks got in.
I’d wager that thousands got in. And as Disney cancels those one by one- openings happen.

Unfortunately, that means we eligible people have to constantly refresh and try to get tickets.

Every single event Disney has required a resort reservation- I did TL and DAK this year and DAK last year. All required it.

Disney screwed up terribly here and is inconveniencing is quite a bit. Not that happy, honestly (and I rarely get upset about anything). But incompetence of something that could have been resolved is pretty inexcusable.

I’d wager that thousands got in. And as Disney cancels those one by one- openings happen.

Unfortunately, that means we eligible people have to constantly refresh and try to get tickets.

Every single event Disney has required a resort reservation- I did TL and DAK this year and DAK last year. All required it.

Disney screwed up terribly here and is inconveniencing is quite a bit. Not that happy, honestly (and I rarely get upset about anything). But incompetence of something that could have been resolved is pretty inexcusable.

This really wasn't run any differently than the earlier events except that social media and word of mouth created a higher amount of people who knew about the event, the event was announced earlier in the reservation process and more members are going to be at WDW during December and want to experience the event.

The sign up procedure was run the same way for the AK Event. Both had you check off a box stating you had a reservation and enter your member number. They didn't ask for your reservation number. When I looked at the pad for issuing the wristbands, it showed my Member # and Reservations (we had 2). Spots didn't fill up until after the event opened up for the general public. And with that sign up, just as with this one, spots opened up as reservations were cancelled and modified. I understand that people are disappointed if they didn't get in and wanted spots, but it's a FREE event. The advertisements for these events say specifically that no one should sign up for membership or a reservation subject to getting into one of these. Shoot, even WITH reservations, the dates are subject to change. IMHO, people getting upset and taking it out on DVC is going to lower the incentive to offer events in the future. Disney was operating on the honor system. Some members aren't honorable. Lessons learned. And THIS is why they can't give us nice things.

As you spend more time with DVC and Disney, you will find that either incompetence is greater than expected or that they do things for reasons that we can't understand.

:earsboy: Bill

I understand that people are disappointed if they didn't get in and wanted spots, but it's a FREE event. The advertisements for these events say specifically that no one should sign up for membership or a reservation subject to getting into one of these. Shoot, even WITH reservations, the dates are subject to change. IMHO, people getting upset and taking it out on DVC is going to lower the incentive to offer events in the future. Disney was operating on the honor system. Some members aren't honorable. Lessons learned. And THIS is why they can't give us nice things.

You do understand this could have been prevented though, yes? Free event or not- the problem isn’t people not getting the reservation. The problem is that Disney has the ability to restrict it to those with reservation confirmations- as they’ve done in the past- yet they chose to not do it. It’s idiocy at its finest.

All it takes is someone going to one DVC event, and stand next to the snacks and cookies- and you’ll soon learn that DVC members are the least honorable of them all. More trashy people at DVC parties than anywhere else I’ve been to on property. Entitled a-holes- moreso than the normal entitled a~hole guest.
As a long Time DVC Member it’s just embarrassing.
Like Ghandi said “I love your DVC. But I hate your DVC members”. Or something like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter