Moonlight Magic is Back!

Does anyone else think it’s wrong that direct members can’t book if they use their resale points but can book if they stay as cash guests? It didn’t affect me, but that doesn’t seem right…..

If our checkout day is the day of a MM event would we be eligible to attend? I know we can use the resort amenities until midnight.

Does anyone else think it’s wrong that direct members can’t book if they use their resale points but can book if they stay as cash guests? It didn’t affect me, but that doesn’t seem right…..
It affected us directly so we’re biased. My main problem is it would have been very easy to communicate that on either notice that went out so people like us didn’t waste their time.
I know why they did that but just be honest about it. It’s 2022, clearly they could have had a program that sent the link out to ONLY eligible people, they did not so then you had people giving it a whirl just for kicks and then people with multiple windows open. Just dumb stuff.
But even given that, one sentence that said only blue card members with stays booked with cash or using their direct points are eligible to register at this time. All other blue card members will have an opportunity to register on March for a limited number of guests. They didn’t do that because then everyone would realize how petty they were being and instead waited for the small group that was affected to bring light to it. The CM I talked to yesterday hadn’t even seen the email that went out and even after getting through after being on hold for 45 minutes, it took another 45 for the CM to tell us we were not eligible. That’s just terrible customer service.

It affected us directly so we’re biased. My main problem is it would have been very easy to communicate that on either notice that went out so people like us didn’t waste their time.
I know why they did that but just be honest about it. It’s 2022, clearly they could have had a program that sent the link out to ONLY eligible people, they did not so then you had people giving it a whirl just for kicks and then people with multiple windows open. Just dumb stuff.
But even given that, one sentence that said only blue card members with stays booked with cash or using their direct points are eligible to register at this time. All other blue card members will have an opportunity to register on March for a limited number of guests. They didn’t do that because then everyone would realize how petty they were being and instead waited for the small group that was affected to bring light to it. The CM I talked to yesterday hadn’t even seen the email that went out and even after getting through after being on hold for 45 minutes, it took another 45 for the CM to tell us we were not eligible. That’s just terrible customer service.

They did have it in their rules

Resort Reservations must be made by the person listed as the “owner” using that Membership or with cash through the Disney Reservation Center or a travel provider.

Yes, but then the concept that someone who just happens to be holding an on-site reservation at the time the event is announced gets a chance at advance booking is pretty arbitrary to begin with.

FWIW, I imagine it's more of a technical limitation than an intentional penalty. ie. The system can easily recognize a reservation that is connected to a qualified membership as valid. But when the reservation is specifically attached to a membership that only contains unqualified resale points, it would take an extra step (at least) to verify that the member is entitled to attend.

Direct member here and have a cash reservation. I didn't receive email and was not able to register. Joined chat and after awhile they said they fixed the issue but by then it was "sold out" so I couldn't even try.

There are reports that if people who booked resale points on the same membership could book.

So, some owners had no problem doing it.

How did those do with bookings with mixed points from their frowned upon resale and preferred direct contracts? Get an email? I would hope that would still qualify for these events.

Resort Reservations must be made by the person listed as the “owner” using that Membership or with cash through the Disney Reservation Center or a travel provider.
We’re an owner of a direct membership…you’re wrong, doesn’t specify the reservation has to be made with direct points. You can even read the small print on what constitutes direct membership, events like this are covered right below the section and disclaimers on AP’s….the supervisor on the phone even conceded I was right but that he couldn’t do anything because that was the policy.

There are reports that if people who booked resale points on the same membership could book.

So, some owners had no problem doing it.
I think this was if you had the same UY for your direct and resale points. System can’t determine which points were used because how could it.

How did those do with bookings with mixed points from their frowned upon resale and preferred direct contracts? Get an email? I would hope that would still qualify for these events.
I think everyone got an email and if you had direct points tied to your reservation at all, not necessarily the whole thing you’re good. I’m sure it didn’t affect too many people because you already had to have stay booked given availability and notice of first two events.

Direct member here and have a cash reservation. I didn't receive email and was not able to register. Joined chat and after awhile they said they fixed the issue but by then it was "sold out" so I couldn't even try.
This happened too, saying people were eligible but there was a glitch and then these people, who qualify, were told sorry instead of just being given the registration. Pretty bad.

We’re an owner of a direct membership…you’re wrong, doesn’t specify the reservation has to be made with direct points. You can even read the small print on what constitutes direct membership, events like this are covered right below the section and disclaimers on AP’s….the supervisor on the phone even conceded I was right but that he couldn’t do anything because that was the policy.

I copied the statement from their website - In the "Know Before You Register" section - 1st sentence - last paragraph
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/member-events/moonlight-magic/

Blue card member here but unable to book DVC room for any MM dates as there is no availability.
We booked one night at All Star Movies for date for HS event.
Will be be eligible since not staying at DVC resort ?

Blue card member here but unable to book DVC room for any MM dates as there is no availability.
We booked one night at All Star Movies for date for HS event.
Will be be eligible since not staying at DVC resort ?
Cash rooms at any Disney owned & operated resort are eligible for the on-site booking advantage.

I switched my August stay back to the week 07/10-07/14 all at Beach Club, after the initial MM email went out. It’s not as if everything was booked up that week.

I copied the statement from their website - In the "Know Before You Register" section - 1st sentence - last paragraph
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/member-events/moonlight-magic/
I’m not saying that statement doesn’t exist. Our reservation was made by a blue card member for a blue card member with direct membership. It doesn’t say there the specific reservation has to be made with direct membership points which is clouded even further by pointing out cash stays are ALSO eligible if the reservation is made by an eligible member.

I have resale and direct points but same use year- my reservation was booked with a mix of points but more resale points and I was able to book MM - it seems more like a technical glitch then intentional exclusion but bad they couldn’t test run or figure it out before excluding people. I find Disney technology very behind the times always.

I switched my August stay back to the week 07/10-07/14 all at Beach Club, after the initial MM email went out. It’s not as if everything was booked up that week.
[/QUOTE

Yesterday was for the Epcot dates in March

There were numerous owners who made their resort reservation under their name and their Membership, but using points from resale contracts within that Membership. Many, many owners have multiple contracts, both resale and direct, under the same Membership. It's not a "Membership" issue, but a contract issue within that membership, and THAT was never stated anywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter