Moonlight Magic is Back!

We were so excited to see this! We have a trip planned in June that will allow us to hopefully attend the DHS event on June 16. We have attended before at Typhoon Lagoon and Animal Kingdom and really loved it.

The same people whine and complain that perks are disappearing and that buying direct is foolish and a waste of money because Disney only takes away and never adds back. They'll post repeatedly that perks are never coming back and if you think they are, then you're a fool (or naïve, or an apologist).

For many years, DVC's pitch has been Blue Card perks. I'd argue the most important one is the AP. Plenty of posts on these boards justified direct purchases with the discounts on APs. Plenty of people doing the math decades out for that "discount" for a five figure purchase. When APs were being sold, DVC couldn't be bothered to cough up a few bucks on the most expensive pass, and now there are no APs at all.

Sure, benefits can go away. AKL can get rid of the animals. But lets not act like DVC hasn't been holding up at the kiosk for many years something that they aren't delivering right now for Blue Cards.

I'll never get a Blue Card, but I'm not the only one disappointed at the cheapness and straight lack of creativity in Blue Card perks. Blue Card should be something meaningful, and there should be perks, even if they are upsells and cost money. Keeping the value of DVC high helps all of us as owners.

So, sure hooray for throwing Blue Card a bone. Yay for Moonlight Magic! It's still not even what we were pitched.

Edit: I will get a Blue Card if VGF opens at 207, fam. Not holding my breath on that LOL.

Last edited:
Sadly, we miss it by a week.
Have only been able to do it once, but it was so much fun.
Hoping we get lucky and pick a week when it happens again.

Initial concerns are legitimate, no one is suggesting otherwise. But to find reasons to complain about the return of perks is something completely different.

I'm not complaining about the perk returning - that's a good thing. I do think people are allowed to be critical / do have legitimate reasons to question the DVC experience/degradation of perks.

Perhaps I missed it, did someone complain that it was bad that DVC brought the perk back?
If yes - my apologies.

Again, true, but why react negatively to a positive, even if it's simply returning to the former status quo? It's a step forward and not a further retrograde.

Why? I think some people feel jaded about a lot of things DVC and Disney.

I would agree that it's a positive step: mind you, a positive step back to the median. Depending on perspective, it's true, median can be a "forward" move.

Everyone would agree that those things within DVC/DVD's control are in need of desperate attention, and we shouldn't lose sight of those shortcomings. As far as "general Disney park experiences", those are the purview of DPEP and not DVC/DVD. DVC has enough of it's own problems to fix.

Agreed.

I would also say that we also shouldn't forget that DVD/DVC is part of "The Walt Disney Company" and as such, benefits, is priced, and is promoted under that umbrella - and therefore, in my opinion, DVD/DVC doesn't get a pass on criticism when it comes to picking and choosing when things are "in" and "out" of their control (under the WDC umbrella).

For example, as a customer, I believe, that I shouldn't have to care that the "ticketing" side of the company won't provide "DVC-like annual passes" to the time share side of the company. These corporate entities can't be an island unto themselves when it's inconvenient, and one big happy family when it's convenient.

Legally yes, they can, but something can be both legal and disingenuous.

Again, they're not entitled to praise for returning to the status quo, but to heap on further criticism regarding the return of perk that DVC received for removing is ridiculous. In our house, if one of our kids gave their best effort (which is likely not analogous to DVC here), and the 50% grade reflected that, then it absolutely got prime fridge real estate because it still reflected the best they could do in that circumstance, and was nothing to be dismissive of or embarrassed about (and we're not "participation trophy" proponents by any measure).

In truth, that probably wasn't the best analogy, because we did the same with our kids. :grouphug:

My point was, I'd like to hold DVC/DVD, and The Walt Disney Company, to a higher standard.

Bottom line - you make great points.

It's great that the perk came back - I like it. I think it warrants some praise.

I also think DVC members have reason to be a little grumpy, especially long time members.

Honestly, I'm not grumpy (ok I'll admit, Genie+ really bugs me :duck:), but I can empathize with those that are.

... tongue fully in cheek ...
I say let them complain!!!:rotfl2:

Cheers! :hippie:

Last edited:
Are we assuming that these will be opened up to off site guests at some point like in the past?

Otherwise I'm beat. I'd waste my 34 points in holding on rooms I'm not going to use. But I can't book with those points for the date I need Until March 25. I'm assuming they will open up registration for all the dates at the same time, reading the email.

does anyone know if Moonlight Magic is available for DVC resale purchasers (after 2016) who do not have any Direct points?
Look at it this way: Disney Vacation Development (the DVC sales people) are throwing a party for their customers. It’s a DVD customer party, not a DVC member party. Some people who bought resale before 2016 are included as a courtesy.

Are we assuming that these will be opened up to off site guests at some point like in the past?
Yes.

The booking dates for the Epcot events are already available: 2/23 for on-site, 3/8 for everyone.

Booking dates for the DHS & DAK Events will be announced later.

Yes.

The booking dates for the Epcot events are already available: 2/23 for on-site, 3/8 for everyone.

Booking dates for the DHS & DAK Events will be announced later.
Thats what I thought but chat said on site only. Thank you. Sorry for all the dumb questions lol

I was suffering big time from FOMO since our WDW trips are April, Oct and Dec and no MM scheduled for those dates - so this morning I grabbed 5 nights in July so we could do MM at HS…why not, I got the points (went ahead and bought some OTU points), blue card, live close enough to drive and my AP…plus when I called MS this morning to buy, my WL for May VGC had come thru and they got permission to ‘UN-HOLD’ (if that’s a word) 6 points that theoretically I couldn‘t use til mid-March!

Last edited:
I booked 3 nights at Pop (CM rate) to try for Studios on 7-14. I have done a couple of these at MK and one at Studios in past. MK one stood out for the special fireworks show; Studios was maybe better for unique character meet and greets.

I am low on points, and figure Pop will be great with Skyliner. Hoping to ride Guardians too that trip. Our earlier trip is April, no parties that month.

In prior years, you could enter the park as early as 6pm using just the wristband issued for the event. The actual event doesn't officially start until 30 minutes after park closing.

You must be eligible for Membership Extras to attend the Moonlight Magic Events.

Thank you! That sounds great.

For those of you "in the know" - does anyone think that they will release more dates for the fall/winter?

Or are these the only dates for 2022?

For those of you "in the know" - does anyone think that they will release more dates for the fall/winter?

Fall/Winter are pretty busy but I do recall doing a Moonlight Magic Event when we were there during F&W. That was several years ago but I believe that it was in either late September or early October. I would not expect any in November-December.

The only date still likely to be released will be for DLR. And it’s likely going to be at Disneyland this time around since the last one was at DCA. It’s usually the second Thursday in November.

Questions: Before, did they ever hold a similar event at the California parks? I am assuming no since the local DVC population is probably relatively small.

Also, did they usually announce the event dates that close from the current dates? Makes it a bit more difficult for those of us who are far to plan with relatively short notice--even more amplified the dates being within the 7-month window.
There likely will be one in November. They’ve done one in November every year pre Covid since 2016 I want to say, plus an additional January 2019 date it was only announced about a month out. You do not need to be staying on site to register it’s open to all blue card DVC members when registration goes live. The last one in November 2019 was at DCA so the expectation is that the one for this fall should be in Disneyland Park.

The November 2018 event that was referenced on the prior page was the only one that ended up being a hot mess they fixed the issues from that event prior to the two 2019 events.

edit: I just went back through my records and the November 2019 date was only announced about five weeks prior so I imagine it will be very similar this year.

Last edited:
Fall/Winter are pretty busy but I do recall doing a Moonlight Magic Event when we were there during F&W. That was several years ago but I believe that it was in either late September or early October. I would not expect any in November-December.
The only date still likely to be released will be for DLR. And it’s likely going to be at Disneyland this time around since the last one was at DCA. It’s usually the second Thursday in November.
Thanks to both of you. That's what I figured...

I have direct points booked checking out 7/26 and then checking in with my resale points for split stay 7/26. Will I have issues booking the event on 7/26?

Check out day is considered a full day with Disney. You should be fine registering for MM.
Good luck!

I do think we (DVC members) should be reserved in our praise - primarily because this isn't something new - it's just something that was taken away and has now returned. Its like praising your kids for attaining a 50% grade on their test, because they failed it last time around. Sure it's better, but it's not something that is worthy of prime fridge real-estate pin-up IMO :D.

The difference in the analogy is that 100% of the time we can use our points that we paid for. So a better analogy with MM returning would be like your kids bringing home a test with 125% on it which would make it fridge worthy. 🤩

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter