My son got hit by a car yesterday...

Cindy B

<font color=blue>Have taken some furniture polish
And not to sound alarming, but he's ok. Bruised/cut not seriously hurt.

He was riding his bike around the block... we are in a residential neighborhood, with small blocks. He was home.. and I heard him say "Dad this lady...."

Then our doorbell rang. This woman told us first that his bike scratched his car... I then asked her, still trying to sort out the information... You hit him?.... She came back to see if he was ok..

I said he's around the back with my husband, lets see..
My son presented himself as ok, with a knee scrape/swollen. My DH was still checking him out (as a former EMT.. he gets this job) and notices some bruising on his chest..

The lady was high tailing it out of there.. all she saw was a cut knee.. and all that. I get her name and number from her, and she leaves the scene..

(This was all of maybe three minutes long) As she goes away, I call the non emergency police number.. thinking ahead if she tries to claim the damage on her car... the police tell me to come in on Monday.

Called the pediatrician, of course no one is in at 2 pm on a Saturday. The triage nurse calls us back, and gets DH to do a motion test... and a couple other things. She says, he sounds ok, but I'll call the doctor to find out.

3 hours later, we get a message about the doctor.. to take him to the ER for a chest Xray. We did what we were told, and he has deep bruises/cuts but ok.

My son was riding and a lady was backing out of her driveway.. She stopped per my son, so he kept going. I am guessing that she didnt look.. he has a bright yellow/red/black helmet.. and a yellow bike.. He fell down on his behind and the handlebars were in his chest.

He's one tough guy.. managed to walk home from the house.. on his own, walking his bike...

What a trooper he is. It's too bad it had to happen in the first place. That woman sounded like a bozo. :(

Thank goodness he is all right!:eek:
How scary. Too bad he learned the hard way not to trust or second guess a driver. :(
Poor little guy.

There was a boy in town here yesterday who wasn't so fortunate. Thank God he is OK. {{{HUGS}}}

I'm so glad that he is okay! Are you saying that the woman stopped by because she wanted to see if he was okay or she stopped by because he scrapped her car?

Cindy, you about scared the you-know-what out of me when I saw the subject line of your post! Thank GOD he is o.k.!!! Poor little guy is probably terribly shook up, but probably not half as much as his parents!

I am so glad that your son is o.k. he was so lucky, I can't imagine someone being more concerned about their car than the child that they hit!, he must have been real shook up. A few years ago now a car reversing from the pavement to the road reversed into me and although I managed to stay on my feet it forced me out into the main road and really shocked me, and the driver said that he had not seen me, well he obviously hadn't looked cause I'm 6' tall, I managed to get to work but was really shaken and the nurse sent me home again for the day to rest.

Glad to know he was okay. Interesting that the lady seemed a bit more concerned about the condition of her car than your son.:(

Originally posted by Beth E. (NJ)
I'm so glad that he is okay! Are you saying that the woman stopped by because she wanted to see if he was okay or she stopped by because he scrapped her car?

I'm not sure... I did hear her say scrape my car, and then I heard her say check to say if he is all right...

Then it made sense.. you hit him!

When I called the cops I said if we should file a report since she left. Obviously I don't want an insurance bill for her car, since she hit MY child... the cops said I don't think she would even file an insurance claim because she did the hitting.. but it doesn't hurt to file it to protect yourself..

Cindy, how scarey! I'm so glad he's ok. He was very, very lucky.

I'm so sorry he was hit but glad he's okay for the most part. What nerve! If I were her (thank goodness I'm not!) I wouldn't even mention a scratch on the car. :rolleyes:

My heart stopped too! Thank heaven he's okay. And, hard as it is to believe, yes, there are people out there that are more concerned about their car!! I could have posted this post exactly many years ago. Same scenario...young boy on a bike, in his neighborhood, driver coming out and not really looking. Follows my son home and tells us 'the boy's bike caused some damage to my car. he should have been watching where he was going.' Well, yes, my son could have been paying more attention, but the driver was exiting a parking area, onto the street and didn't even look to his left and hit my son. Well, a neighbor saw it all and called the police. Must say, the driver sure backed down when he saw the cruiser come in our driveway. I'm so glad your son had the same outcome as mine. Man, it's hard being a mom some days!!!

Wow, I can't believe she didn't even stop to see if he was OK when it happened. The poor kid, he must have been really frightened. I am suprised he was able to make it home. I am glad to hear that he isn't seriously injured, but it is still a sad thing. Good thing he had a helmet on! The woman better not have the nerve to file a claim, she should be paying the medical bills for your son.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter