Natalie Holloway new info

I could've been Natalie. I was 18 (freshman in college though) on a trip with girl friends in Myrtle Beach. A cute boy at a bar was dancing with me all night(we didn't drink just dance), then he had to leave because his friends wanted to and he didn't have a car. He wanted me to go with him. Said he'd go get another car and bring me back. I knew i shouldn't go, but dang he was so cute and he was paying attention to me. Luckily my friends all told me NO! Let him go back with his friends and get his car and come back.

Who knows what could've happened to me with all those guys. Yikes I don't want to think about it. I knew I shouldn't go with him, I truly did, that's probably why I asked my friends. Thank God they told me NO, don't go.

Ya and the guy, he never came back for me.

To this day I have a hard time letting my girls go. I'm constantly worried about them making the wrong choices. They are both smart and have a good head on their shoulders but I know first hand how easy it is to make the wrong choice when someone is paying attention to you, it's scary as a parent.

I can totally relate to the situation Natalie got herself in :-(.

I'd like to think I wouldn't have let my daughter go on such a trip but the truth is she's a pretty level headed kid and at some point I have (had) to let her go out into the world to make her own choices. At 18+ there really wasn't a whole lot that they really could say or do to stop her.

If you are the one who'd be paying for the trip, saying no would go a long way in stopping her. Now, if she worked and paid for the trip, that's a different story, but that was not the case with Natalee. BTW, I think that working and saving, and paying for the trip yourself shows a bigger level of maturity and responsability
As to not courting trouble hindsight is 20/20. I was the same type of level headed kid my DD is and I still made some pretty questionable choices back in the day I'm just lucky enough to be able to tell the tale. There are people out there that play by all the rules and still pay with their life. Just last week a girl my DD went to school with was murdered by a guy she dated for three months and had moved on from several months ago. This girl was doing everything right in life, had a good job, her own place, getting ready to go back to school, just an all around good kid making good choices and this guy caught her in the parking lot and strangled her as she was getting into her car. One hundred plus other kids on that trip were all taking risks and doing stupid things yet they made it home as did the kids on trips before them. Natalee is not the first girl to leave a party with a cute guy against her better judgment and she certainly won't be the last.

I'm just saying that if I had children, I would NOT pay for such a trip

If you are the one who'd be paying for the trip, saying no would go a long way in stopping her. Now, if she worked and paid for the trip, that's a different story, but that was not the case with Natalee. BTW, I think that working and saving, and paying for the trip yourself shows a bigger level of maturity and responsability

I'm just saying that if I had children, I would NOT pay for such a trip
And I'm just saying at that moment and at that time not knowing Natalee or the type of kid she was you can't know what their thought process might have been. Not being in their position, not having a kid and knowing what happened to her it's really easy to say you wouldn't have done it but the truth is a lot of us say, "I would never -insert whatever here-" and find ourselves doing it anyway.

She was about my age too. We had taken a very similar senior trip a few years prior to Cancun, where the drinking age is also 18. We had 2 chaperones for 50 people. They were not there to babysit us, they were there to assist in case we got into legal or medical trouble. One was actually an attorney. I saw them when we got to the hotel, and didn't see them again till we left. Thousands of US kids go on similar trips every year, I don't think they all have dumb parents for "courting disaster" by letting them go. 99.9999% of the time, the kids come back just fine. All 50 of us did.

I will say, I would NEVER have let one of my friends go to an off-site bar alone. I would not have left my worst enemy in an off-hotel bar alone. But the only people who bear responsibility here are the people who committed crimes against Natalie.

I went to London for a high school trip. Drinking age was 16 if I recall. We did do some stupid things, i.e. met some guys, went to bar. Thankfully the guys were very nice and all ended well. It could have gone differently if they were bad guys, but they were kind of nerdy and just wanted to show some Americans around town. We also stuck together and would not split up.

As parents, you have to let your kids go. You can't keep an 18 year old tucked in her room. At 18 you can be married and have a child and live on your own.

As parents, you have to let your kids go. You can't keep an 18 year old tucked in her room. At 18 you can be married and have a child and live on your own.

I know the bolded is technically true.

I certainly "knew" I was ready to take on the world at 18. No one could convince me otherwise.

But as I sit here tonight looking at the "1-8" in your post staring back at me from my iPhone screen, that number seems so small its frightening. Not even close to being ready for marriage or children IMHO.

It's funny how my perspective has changed with the passing years.

I certainly "knew" I was ready to take on the world at 18. No one could convince me otherwise.

But as I sit here tonight looking at the "1-8" in your post staring back at me from my iPhone screen, that number seems so small its frightening. Not even close to being ready for marriage or children IMHO.

All my cousins and a good majority of their peers married right out of high school and started having babies right away. I met my DH at 20. But I get what you're saying. My DD will be 21 in two days and I just can't imagine her being married with kids at this point in her life. She does travel solo quite often though (on her own dime) and I'd be lying if I said it didn't worry me.

All my cousins and a good majority of their peers married right out of high school and started having babies right away. I met my DH at 20. But I get what you're saying. My DD will be 21 in two days and I just can't imagine her being married with kids at this point in her life. She does travel solo quite often though (on her own dime) and I'd be lying if I said it didn't worry me.

I'm 40 and travel solo often (mainly for work) and my aunt still makes me call to say I've arrived safely. She sometimes tracks my flights - because she'll sometimes email me and let me know that my flight is delayed (I'm often flying to places where there aren't a lot of flight options and I stick to one alliance, so it is pretty easy to know my flights). And, I get "lectures" about safety (in her defense, my next trip is Dakar and Johannesburg). So, your worry may not end anytime soon!

*My mum died when I was younger, so my aunt is essentially my mum

My parents are divorced and when I would go on trips with my dad I would always have to call her when we left from home, got to our destination and when we left to come home. I did this also in my 20's when I went on trips with my now husband. I did the same on my honeymoon and she told me I did not have to anymore. I am now 38 married with 2 kids. I still do this on every trip except I might just text her so she knows. We drive to Disney so I also give her periodic updates of where we are. Usually when we enter a new state.

Oh, I agree, 18 is waaaaaaay too young for marriage or kids. But I know people who were married around 20 and/or got pregnant at 17-18. I also know people who were on their own at 18, living in an apartment etc. It happens. It is too young, but it happens.

What station/show this is going to be featured on? I tried skimming through the thread again, but I can't find anything.

I really hope that they found her remains. I think that it will bring the family some closure if she can be laid to rest.

What station/show this is going to be featured on? I tried skimming through the thread again, but I can't find anything.

I was wondering this also. I did a search on my TV, and it didn't come up with anything. It only goes 2 weeks out, but it was said here that it would be Saturday night. I saw an advertisement for a show, but it's in September. Is that the one or is there one sooner?

I was wondering this also. I did a search on my TV, and it didn't come up with anything. It only goes 2 weeks out, but it was said here that it would be Saturday night. I saw an advertisement for a show, but it's in September. Is that the one or is there one sooner?

As a few PP's have said, it's going to be on Oxygen. It's supposed to premier tomorrow at 7PM ET, but they already posted the first episode so I'm a little confused... I'm about to sit down and watch it in a minute.

As a few PP's have said, it's going to be on Oxygen. It's supposed to premier tomorrow at 7PM ET, but they already posted the first episode so I'm a little confused... I'm about to sit down and watch it in a minute.
And if I remember correctly, it's a document series in six parts.

I'm trying to make sense of a lot of the articles I'm reading. When was the body found? Was it found recently or was this information released in promotion for the mini series doc?

I'm trying to make sense of a lot of the articles I'm reading. When was the body found? Was it found recently or was this information released in promotion for the mini series doc?
I have the same question. I'm doubting they just happened to have a mini-series ready to go at the same time they found the body.

I have the same question. I'm doubting they just happened to have a mini-series ready to go at the same time they found the body.

I just found an article stating that the body was found during the recent investigation. (Of course I would find this info. just after I posted lol) I'm surprised that they were able to keep it under wraps this long though, I would think that it would be huge news. We probably won't find out if it's her until the last episode or so.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ear-natalee-holloway-search-article-1.3417095

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter