Need to make $1000 in 10 months... ideas

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
I know it doesn't sound like much, but I need to do it without cutting back in any other areas of our budget. I'm a SAHM (part time job not an option) living in Canada. I am a columnist/freelancer and I know that through my freelance work I typically pick up I'll be able to earn most of what I need to pay for our trip next fall, but right now I'm looking to be about $1000 short. I have joined Swagbucks, but don't really know how to use it/maximize it, outside of just random SBs I earn doing searches. Suggestions on how to earn the money?

Last edited:
I know it doesn't sound like much, but I need to do it without cutting back in any other areas of our budget. I'm a SAHM (part time job not an option) living in Canada. I am a columnist/freelancer and I know that through my freelance work I typically pick up I'll be able to earn most of what I need to pay for our trip next fall, but right now I'm looking to be about $1000 short. I have joined Swagbucks, but don't really know how to use it/maximize it, outside of just random SBs I earn doing searches. Suggestions?

I would read the past few pages of the swagbucks thread. Everyone on there is helpful. I know I can typically earn 75 to 125 per month depending on how things go but I'm in the US and I don't know how sb differs between here and Canada.

Not sure what the laws are in Canada, but can you donate plasma? How about cutting $50 out of your monthly grocery budget and socking that away? That will give you $500 right there. Or, hell, deduct the whole $100 or so from the monthly budget and eat more frugal...beans, eggs, cheaper cuts of meat, etc.

Last edited:
Not sure what the laws are in Canada, but can you donate plasma? How about cutting $50 out of your monthly grocery budget and socking that away? That will give you $500 right there. Or, hell, deduct the whole $100 or so from the monthly budget and eat more frugal...beans, eggs, cheaper cuts of meat, etc.

I mentioned in my post we're not cutting from our budget. Especially not groceries - healthy eating comes before a trip.

Surveys. $3 bucks every few weeks, but better than nothing. I have been using this one company and they're pretty reliable (better than the ones on Swagbucks). PM me for the link, as I don't think I can advertise here. In person focus groups are even better if you happen to live in a city where they have FG.

Since you are a SAHM, can you babysit before or after school hours or perhaps in the summer? How about providing pet care/dog walking for neighbors? Can you make and sell crafts? Even with your focus on healthy eating, it is almost always possible to shave a few dollars off your food bill by focusing on sales, in season produce, etc. Every little bit helps.

Since you are a SAHM, can you babysit before or after school hours or perhaps in the summer? How about providing pet care/dog walking for neighbors? Can you make and sell crafts? Even with your focus on healthy eating, it is almost always possible to shave a few dollars off your food bill by focusing on sales, in season produce, etc. Every little bit helps.

Agree with this. To actually earn money babysitting is probably the way to go. Let friends know that you are willing to pick a child up and keep them after school. Or offer evening babysitting for friends. That is likely the fastest way to earn.

I also agree that even healthy eating can be done more cheaply by actively couponing, meal planning based on what is on sale each week, meatless meals, buying what is in season, and eliminating waste.

Also, curious OP about why you are so adamant that you will not make any budget cuts?

Agree with this. To actually earn money babysitting is probably the way to go. Let friends know that you are willing to pick a child up and keep them after school. Or offer evening babysitting for friends. That is likely the fastest way to earn.

I also agree that even healthy eating can be done more cheaply by actively couponing, meal planning based on what is on sale each week, meatless meals, buying what is in season, and eliminating waste.

Also, curious OP about why you are so adamant that you will not make any budget cuts?

Because a) we already cut costs significantly b) I'm not so obsessed with Disney that I'm willing to change our lifestyle to go. If we can do it with bringing in money in other ways, great. But if the only way to go is cut out groceries and eat beans and meatless meals, lol, then no thanks. I have no interest in going.

Since you are a SAHM, can you babysit before or after school hours or perhaps in the summer? How about providing pet care/dog walking for neighbors? Can you make and sell crafts?

Babysitting is 100% out. Not much call for pet care here (we're a tiny rural village), but crafts is a good idea. I knit and sew so I could get some stuff done for the summer market season. I also used to do portrait photography. I had to stop a few years ago, as I was too busy, but I could do some mini-session clinics - maybe a Back to School session and a Christmas session.

Can you pay for your trip using discounted gift cards? I’m saving $800 on our summer trip that way. Target, BJs, Sam’s, and grocery store fuel points might all be options for you.

I mentioned in my post we're not cutting from our budget. Especially not groceries - healthy eating comes before a trip.

Sorry, I must have skipped right over that!

We cut our monthly groceries to about $300 (family of 4), and eat very healthy :) I agree, the healthy comes before the vacation, but just maybe a glance to see if there is something that can be cut - shop Aldi for certain things (if Aldi is in Canada), or make your own bread, or eat only from what is on special that week, etc.

Good luck!

Babysitting is 100% out. Not much call for pet care here (we're a tiny rural village), but crafts is a good idea. I knit and sew so I could get some stuff done for the summer market season. I also used to do portrait photography. I had to stop a few years ago, as I was too busy, but I could do some mini-session clinics - maybe a Back to School session and a Christmas session.

My sister has developed a very good side photography business. It's too bad that you missed the holidays. Are grad photos a thing in Canada? That is another busy time for photographers here.

Do you bake? I would pay someone for homemade baked goods or even an occasional full dinner, providing the price was reasonable (figure out what it costs to make the item(s), including the cost for baking and then double it).

Another suggestion, my 20 year old daughter posts on Facebook, each college break, asking for odd jobs - painting, pet sitting, elder care, etc. It adds up. As someone who has an elderly parent living with us, I would gladly pay someone to take Mom out to lunch, and pay for the lunch - just to get a break and to bring enjoyment to my Mom (I do not tell her I am paying for the "break").

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter