New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

one will be on the 3 and 4 night Bahama cruise the other rotating eastern and western 7 night cruises. The special cruises will mainly be on the 4 older ships. Maybe one new one will go somewhere new and exciting. This doesn’t answer your question thou as you wanted to know when not where they were going.
i have a feeling that Disney might also fallow NCL, and have two ships doing the eastern and western, one for each. The other thing i still don't see how the southern from PC, MIA is a specialty when Carnival does it about every other week on 8 to 9 night cruises.

This isn't Disney news, but with the speculation about stationing a ship in Asia, I thought it was interesting.

NCL built the Joy especially for the Chinese market. It was designed for Asian tastes, the food was mostly Asian, the primary language was Mandarin, etc. Well, after just two years they announced today that they are pulling it from China, spending $50 million :scared1: to renovate it and moving it to the west coast of the US to sail Alaskan and Mexican cruises. They are replacing the Joy in Asia by renovating the tiny Spirit (one of their smallest and oldest ships) and sending it over to China "seasonally". It appears they seriously miscalculated the demand for their product in Asia.

I've pretty much always assumed that Disney would put a ship somewhere in Asia, given their huge theme park presence in the region. Now I'm beginning to wonder. I was reading about the Joy change over on another website and someone mentioned that Princess recently recalled a large ship from China as well. I have no idea if that's actually the case, but maybe the Asian cruising market isn't as lucrative as many of us thought? I still think if anyone can make it work, it would be Disney. There is obviously a demand for their unique product in Asia.

Time will tell.

NCL did the same dang thing with their (original) three ships in Hawaii. They had the Pride of Hawaii, the Pride of Aloha and the Pride of America. So when they decided to remove two and leave one, they left the Pride of America -- which is based on Colonial history and would have been better moved to the East Coast for sailings out of maybe Baltimore or Charleston. They took the two Hawaiian themed ships and redid them. Except for the front art on the ships, they are no longer Hawaiian themed. Why in the world they didn't leave one of them in Hawaii instead is beyond me because one of them was only 2 years old. If I'm sailing in Hawaii, I'd rather sail on a Hawaiian themed ship than a Colonial American themed one!

I also wish they would bring/leave one of the new ships in Europe. There are so many itineraries and ports that Disney hasn't even touched on. There are some lines that do more than one round-trip Transatlantic sailing a year. And leave one on the West Coast -- so many options (partial Panama Canal sailings, Alaska, Hawaii, etc.). It will be most interesting to see what announcements are made. Maybe they'll take a poll to see what people are interested in. I remember when they asked if you'd be interested in going to Bermuda, and then they finally added that one. So anything is possible. I do like the Asian idea -- and maybe once a year one of those long cruises from California that includes Hawaii and other Pacific ports. So many things to wish for ;)::yes:::wizard:

Probably around the time of the steel cutting.

Interesting question. No doubt they need to have port calls arranged well ahead of the first sailing. They would certainly also need to have sold the cruises many months ahead. I'm guessing 18 months before the inaugural cruise.

Haven't they started construction? At least on the first ship to launch in 2020?

one will be on the 3 and 4 night Bahama cruise the other rotating eastern and western 7 night cruises. The special cruises will mainly be on the 4 older ships. Maybe one new one will go somewhere new and exciting. This doesn’t answer your question thou as you wanted to know when not where they were going.

How do you know where they are going?

Haven't they started construction? At least on the first ship to launch in 2020?
No they haven't
First ship is due in 2021, then 22 and 23. When they do start, first thing they do is called a first steel cutting and it's a big deal. Both DCL and Meyer Werft will make a big deal about that milestone. It's not something your likely to miss. If I had to put a guess on when that would occur, it would be somewhere mid to late 2019ish assuming if the delivery dates from the past hold true. All 4 ships were supposed to debut in the early part of the year, usually around Feb or March, though the Magic class were delayed by factors out of DCLs control. MW averages a complete ship with turn over to the line in about 17-18 months from first steel cut.

How do you know where they are going?
Past practice has the new ships replacing the existing ships in PC. Main reason is those ships are cash cows and will pay themselves off early. I'd expect to see 3 at PC, 1 west coast 1 Europe and probably NY 1 in Miami with the Magic doing test runs anywhere DCL might want to go. Galveston might be a 50/50 shot.

Just checked the webcams and there's no Disney ship yet. However, they are making one for Saga cruises, which I have NEVER heard of :confused3
I've looked on and off for different things and saw several names I've never heard of. Like Genting

Just checked the webcams and there's no Disney ship yet. However, they are making one for Saga cruises, which I have NEVER heard of :confused3

Apparently it's a British travel company for over 50s that has a cruising division with small "boutique" cruise ships. At least that's what I'm finding on Google.

I also wish they would bring/leave one of the new ships in Europe. There are so many itineraries and ports that Disney hasn't even touched on. There are some lines that do more than one round-trip Transatlantic sailing a year. And leave one on the West Coast -- so many options (partial Panama Canal sailings, Alaska, Hawaii, etc.). It will be most interesting to see what announcements are made. Maybe they'll take a poll to see what people are interested in. I remember when they asked if you'd be interested in going to Bermuda, and then they finally added that one. So anything is possible. I do like the Asian idea -- and maybe once a year one of those long cruises from California that includes Hawaii and other Pacific ports. So many things to wish for ;)::yes:::wizard:

How about one that hits the parks in Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Tokyo?!

i have a feeling that Disney might also fallow NCL, and have two ships doing the eastern and western, one for each. The other thing i still don't see how the southern from PC, MIA is a specialty when Carnival does it about every other week on 8 to 9 night cruises.
Disney uses some things as an excuse because they don't think the average person will question it. Ive said for a while now that DCLs excuse of not going to the southern Caribbean with out leaving from San Juan, was a convenient cop out, since almost all of the other lines can do it on a regular basis from the US mainland.

DCL is really conservative when it comes to their itineraries. My bet would be no ships designed for Asia. At most they would test the waters with the Wonder or the Magic (like they did for Hawaii) and see what kind of response they get. Australia is also a growing cruise market and they could try to do a few cruises out there. I bet there would be Americans who would be tempted by new itineraries, but not the number of people who seem happy to just go around the Caribbean in the same circle they cruised last year. I do hope they leave one ship on the West Coast - between Mexico and Alaska there's potential for 12 months of "good" weather. And they could dip down to S. America like other lines do. I'm no so sure about Europe since there are far fewer itineraries and ships sailing there during the winter, but there are lots of places around the world that have decent weather between Dec-May. For those of us who would like to go to new places, any change is welcome.

DCL is really conservative when it comes to their itineraries. My bet would be no ships designed for Asia. At most they would test the waters with the Wonder or the Magic (like they did for Hawaii) and see what kind of response they get. Australia is also a growing cruise market and they could try to do a few cruises out there. I bet there would be Americans who would be tempted by new itineraries, but not the number of people who seem happy to just go around the Caribbean in the same circle they cruised last year. I do hope they leave one ship on the West Coast - between Mexico and Alaska there's potential for 12 months of "good" weather. And they could dip down to S. America like other lines do. I'm no so sure about Europe since there are far fewer itineraries and ships sailing there during the winter, but there are lots of places around the world that have decent weather between Dec-May. For those of us who would like to go to new places, any change is welcome.
I wouldn't say conservative. Maybe lack of imagination.

Im guessing also no Asian purpose built ship.
As far as fleet disposition, look to where DCL has been before and industry standard. They do nothing if not study and try and follow the industry. So Caribbean/Bahamas, Europe, Alaska, Mexico, probably NY and Galveston also. My guess well see at least 3 ships out of PC, (ft) possibly 4 if the NY ship stops in like they do now, 1 on the west coast, 1 in Europe/ NY Galveston and Miami. Eventually they'll send a ship to Asia as a test but my guess that's probably a few years away at least.

Thanks. Good to know -- just hoping we can afford at least one of the inaugural sailings (yeah, when elephants fly)!
Well what we did was to set up a separate Christmas fund thru the bank after Disney shut down their vacation account. It earns 2% and we still put in what ever the calculator from Disney said for the total I put in for.

NCL did the same dang thing with their (original) three ships in Hawaii. They had the Pride of Hawaii, the Pride of Aloha and the Pride of America. So when they decided to remove two and leave one, they left the Pride of America -- which is based on Colonial history and would have been better moved to the East Coast for sailings out of maybe Baltimore or Charleston. They took the two Hawaiian themed ships and redid them. Except for the front art on the ships, they are no longer Hawaiian themed. Why in the world they didn't leave one of them in Hawaii instead is beyond me because one of them was only 2 years old. If I'm sailing in Hawaii, I'd rather sail on a Hawaiian themed ship than a Colonial American themed one!

Wow. I never knew that about the NCL Hawaii ship! That does seem really dopey to made that decision. I see the ship in port all the time when we are on Maui. But of course I can only see the OUTside. :D

That's a great time of year to go -- might still see Fall foliage. Is this on the Magic? Are you flying to Quebec or driving? We rented a car one-way and drove to Montreal for three nights, then to Quebec. Great cities! Have fun.

Thanks! We are driving...renting cars in NY and dropping off in Quebec. There is a Budget office very near the hotel we are staying at.

MJ

Disney uses some things as an excuse because they don't think the average person will question it. Ive said for a while now that DCLs excuse of not going to the southern Caribbean with out leaving from San Juan, was a convenient cop out, since almost all of the other lines can do it on a regular basis from the US mainland.
I've always thought that the reason they didn't do the southern Caribbean from the mainland was more about the length of the cruise because of the distances to be covered. I realize that DCL and other lines do longer cruises from time to time, I wonder if there is enough interest in a 10-night (or longer) Southern cruise to make that an ongoing thing. I see two "problems" with the longer cruises, vacation time and $$$.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter