New Service: store your personal vacation gear

jdvm

Purple Van Driver
We’re launching a new service for frequent visitors to the Orlando area called Owner’s Locker. You fill one of our special containers with the things you’d like to have on hand when you visit. We have it waiting for you at the front desk of your resort when you check in. Then we pick it up when you check out and keep it in our climate controlled warehouse until your next visit. It sure beats hauling all of that stuff back and forth!

Check out this link to learn more:

www.ownerslocker.com

It will take your vacation to a whole new level.

John

Great concept!

We are using the service right now for the first time and everything has gone as promised. Our box was waiting for us at check-in at OKW and it looks very promising.

Right now, we are planning to store things like coffee filters, salt/pepper, shampoo (and other airline restricted items), laundry soap, corkscrew and some clothing items.

What other items might be good to store to minimize luggage and minimize store runs - especially for those who normally fly to WDW?

BTW- This thread does have the blessing and permission of the DIS.

How do you return something to the Owner's Locker? Just leave it with bell services and it's picked up?

Oooh, cool idea!

Doc - what about things like those big, bulky Beach Towels? How about a Stroller, would that be too big to store? How about umbrellas, raincoats, extra tennis shoes or sandals...

Oh I got it!!!! How about a POOL THERMOMETER!!! :woohoo:

Gosh, my mind is racing!!! :)

Hi Rita,

The Locker is a container (about the size of a cooler) that will be waiting for you when you check in. You can carry it your room or have bell services bring it to your room. You then have access to all of your stuff during your visit. And, when it's time to return home, the process works in reverse. You pack the Locker up before you leave and drop it off at the front desk or bell services. We come along and pick your Locker up and store it until you tell us you're coming back. The website has photos of what the Locker's look like.
John

Oooh, cool idea!

Doc - what about things like those big, bulky Beach Towels? How about a Stroller, would that be too big to store? How about umbrellas, raincoats, extra tennis shoes or sandals...

Oh I got it!!!! How about a POOL THERMOMETER!!! :woohoo:

Gosh, my mind is racing!!! :)

LOL!

Yep, some flip-flops would be a good idea. I don't think a stroller would fit, but I 'll bet OwnersLocker can offer a solution for bigger items too. We have also talked about packing a couple of Mickey raincoats. We have also added a pizza pan and cutter to our list as well as a couple of sweatshirts. The box is pretty big and will hold a lot of stuff. We also have nail files, suntan lotion, deodorant, toothpaste, tooth brushes, nail clippers, Saran Wrap, Aluminum Foil, Zip Lock bags and paper napkins on our list. We move to another location this weekend and will be making a grocery run since we'll have a rental car then- so we're making a list ( ... and checking it twice" ;) ) for the next few days.

We're really having fun planning out the contents for our locker!

There is a great list of suggestions on the website - the box will easily hold all of those items and still have room for more!

Hi diznyfanatic,

Doc's doing a great job of listing items. My favorites are a really nice corkscrew and one of those water filter pitchers. And our 4 daughters like "normal' bottles of their favorite shampoo.
During our test, we're only going to use the Owner's Locker which is shown on the website. We're already working on other Lockers and when we're fully operational, we'll have an "Out of the Box" section on our website where you can tell us whatever else you want to store--bicycles, canoes, strollers or even a car.
John

Hi John,

I just signed up to help by giving your service a test run. I'm looking forward to a reply. Thanks.

Denis

Hi Denis,
We've been extremely pleased-and a bit overwhelmed-at the responses we've received. Brian and I will be going through the applications as quickly as we can and will respond to everyone who's contacted us through our website. As our form says, we need test participants who are coming here soon so we can test our systems and formally launch the service. Owner's Locker has been my dream ever since my family began coming to Old Key West in 1992. I'm so excited that it's becoming a reality. Thanks for your interest--you'll be hearing from us.
John

It will take your vacation to a whole new level.

John

Absolutely!

I am currently testing one of the lockers from the Owners Locker- On my last visit to the Boardwalk Villas my locker was waiting for me on arrival. Bell services brought it up for me when they brought up the rest of my luggage. At first I wasnt sure what I was going to store in it- but as departure day drew closer I was certainly able to fill it.

Will be heading back to the World in about 1 week and I love being able to pack so light in my suitcase. And knowing that I have many of my items that I lug back and forth waiting for me on my return Home makes going Home even easier! :goodvibes

What a fantastic idea! I drive to Orlando so I probably wont be doing it in the short run but in the long run (or when the box gets bigger) this could be a great way to go for a number of things:

- pool toys
- beach towels or neat sheet
- hot plate for studio guestrs
- spices
- cooking oil
- small pot & pan
- other dry goods
- spare sunglasses
- spare non-disposable camera
- spare cellphone charger
- mini backpack or fanny packs you only use in the parks.
- mugs
- rain ponchos or small umbrellas
- items you couldn't possibly wear someplace else.
- spare shorts & short sleeve shirts for people who visit in winter
- spare bathing suits
- beach umbrella
- tents
- camping gear
baby gear

Edited to add:
Not to mess with your business model or anything but you might add an option for your clients to be able to buy ziplock bags from you. I'd want gallon sized freezer quality bags for some items. 2.5 gallon bags for others like shoes. Also something to absorb moisture would be good...anything with a dessicating quality to it that could be added to the locker.

well, double, I hope you consider applying to be one of our test drivers (notice I didn't say crash test dummies!). One of the things we have found in our pre-test is that there are lots of people who think Owner's Locker is a good idea--but not for them. But once they try it, they wonder how they ever got along without it. Sign up on the website if you haven't already and give it a try. There's absolutely no obligation and you've obviously got some great ideas to share.

Speaking of which, we may be orchestrating the service but it's going to be our Members who tell us what we're going to do. So don't be shy with ideas...you're not messing with the business model...you're helping to steer it.
Thanks for your interest and comments!
John

We are in Ireland and I've registered for a trial. We have to bring stuff with us every trip like US plug adaptors, our two way radios (which can't be used outside the US) and it would be handy to store mini backpack or fanny packs only used in the parks, mugs, rain ponchos, some summer clothes.

One thing I was going to add - this would be a great service for regular visitors from Europe, we often come for a long visit (our next summer trip is for a month) but don't always stay in the same place for the entire trip and rarely can afford to spend the entire month at Disney. We usually start our trip in a private villa and end up at DVC. For us - it would probably we handy to have the facility to collect or deliver back the box ourselves.

Hey Tink,

Thanks for your comments. I'm originally from Kentucky but I lived in England for 15 years so, trust me, I know the hassle of travelling overseas, in my case with four beautiful but luggage intensive daughters!

We know that many people split up their visits and we've designed the system to handle it in most cases. As long as a visit begins and ends at a resort or hotel on an approved list (i.e within a 10 mile radius of the attractions) we're fine delivering to those locations. Delivering to a location like a rental house is more difficult. At some point we might have a "storefront" location where frequent visitors who rent houses could stop by and pick up and drop of their Lockers....but at this point that's only a possibility.
Hope this answers you question!
John

I think keeping an extra set of clothes in the locker would be a big plus for our family. The kids keep growing, but my wife and I have worn the same sizes for years. I am just imaging bringing 3 kids to the airport with one less suitcase!

Hey Tink,

Thanks for your comments. I'm originally from Kentucky but I lived in England for 15 years so, trust me, I know the hassle of travelling overseas, in my case with four beautiful but luggage intensive daughters!....

:rotfl:

.....We know that many people split up their visits and we've designed the system to handle it in most cases. As long as a visit begins and ends at a resort or hotel on an approved list (i.e within a 10 mile radius of the attractions) we're fine delivering to those locations..........Hope this answers you question!
John

Thanks John

We tend to spend our first night in a hotel and the end of our trip at DVC so it woulds work for us. Hopefully you'll consider us for a trial :thumbsup2

I've had a locker since August and made three trips to the World using my locker to store the extra stuff between trips. It's been wonderful!
I've kept: clothes, an extra bathing suit, tennis shoes, flip flops, liquor, margarita glasses, actual silverware and plates and glass wine glasses and (we stay in a studio and I can't STAND that paper/plastic stuff in the room..yuck!). Cloth napkins from home (tho how that one from the Contemporary got in there I will never know), scizzors, a 'cooler' grocery bag, lights to hang off the balcony even when it isn't Xmas, an extension cord.....

It's fun to be able to come to the world and be 'greeted' by a box of my favorite Disney things! Feels a little like :wizard:

Hi Denis,
We've been extremely pleased-and a bit overwhelmed-at the responses we've received. Brian and I will be going through the applications as quickly as we can and will respond to everyone who's contacted us through our website. As our form says, we need test participants who are coming here soon so we can test our systems and formally launch the service. Owner's Locker has been my dream ever since my family began coming to Old Key West in 1992. I'm so excited that it's becoming a reality. Thanks for your interest--you'll be hearing from us.
John

Thanks for the reply John. We're OKW oldtimers as well so it's nice to learn we're neighbors. I've received your invitation email and I'm looking forward to the benefits we'll get from testing your service.

Denis

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter