New Studios Chief

OnWithTheShow

No Entangling Alliances
Interesting move naming a long time company insider to the position instead hiring a hollywood big-wig away from someone else. I can see this decision going both ways. Cold be that Richard's long-time experience with the company will help keep and bring back the magic to the Studios or maybe without the leadership of one of the Hollywood greats (who I don't like very much) the Studios will continue to struggle.

Disney names Richard cook head of Disney Studios
BURBANK, Calif., Feb 15 (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co. (NYSE:DIS - news) on Friday named long-time Disney insider Richard Cook chairman of Walt Disney Studios, its movie unit, filling a spot vacant since last June.

Cook, 51, will take the top spot overseeing production for the Walt Disney, Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures banners, Disney said in a statement.

Cook -- who began with Disney 31 years ago as a ride operator at its Disney Land amusement park -- has been marketing and distribution chief for the movie business for the past six years, Disney said.

The movie chief job had been vacant since June 2001 when Peter Schneider left after 18 months in the post.

Somewhat unexciting news. Mr. Cook has been filling the spot ever since Mr. Schneider took that wonderful Broadway producing job. Briefly, no one else in Hollywood wanted that job, Eisner isn't giving away any power (which is why no one wanted the job), and Mr. Cook has been an excellent yes-man for a while now (i.e., others took the fall for 'Pearl', he's in the line-up to take the hit for 'Reign of Fire'). Don’t look for any changes in the way things have been running. This is title inflation, not a true change in leadership.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter