New ticket system coming to WDW - Begins October 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.
The answer may depend on the region you're in. Where I live, the discount is applied in local stores. At my local AAA, the current price difference for 6-day PH was only about $4 more than the price at UCT, and $43 less than purchasing through Disney.
Ok thank you! I see them online thru my aaa site so I can just stick with that.

If we added the Flexible Ticket during our cruise, that would be $200 more for my family of 4. If we go off of current ticket pricing, we'd be looking at about $1500 for a 3-day ticket with the Flexible Ticket option (or $500 a day). That's crazy. We're big Disney people, but we're not THAT big. Unless Disney ends up offering some sort of exception or package for Land/Sea folks, we'll just stay somewhere else and do other things. I'm really not complaining. We go to WDW a lot, and that probably won't change. But everyone has their limits, and I think this is mine.
Agree. We have this cruise conundrum as well. It has always worked fine. I’m not suddenly going to plop down another $300 for the privledge of the 6 of us going to wdw on the days we always have.

That’s very good news. I’m wondering if it would be worthwhile to ask this same question via email or using the chat function. This way, there would be a written record of the CMs response.
Good idea! I did try the chat feature, but she directed me to call the AP help phone line, so that's what I did last night. If you get any written confirmation, can you share please? Thanks!!

Has there been any confirmation as to whether the pricing model is dynamic or static? If static, when will the prices for a specific time frame be published? If dynamic, would this encourage delayed purchasing of tickets to take advantage of lowered pricing due to lack of demand; or would it be best to purchase early to lock in a specific rate?

This system has been compared to airline pricing, but if the pricing is truly static (does not change for a particular day once set) it is not really similar to the airline system. My fear is that the pricing will be dynamic (like that of the airlines); this would add the greatest confusion and frustration.

I can imagine a scenario in which tickets were purchased for a specific date range, then that pricing shifts (if dynamic). That would not be ideal.

It's weird to me...
While the tickets might be static, the hotel prices certainly are not. I can envision a situation of picking inexpensive ticket dates and then having expensive hotel offerings available for those dates.

It seems like the only way to really compare "apples to apples" when booking would be to purchase a package, and compare package prices for various dates. We don't ordinarily book packages, as we need flexibility due to the changing demands of life. Being locked into ticket dates or paying a fee for flexibility really doesn't work for our travel needs. For people with fixed vacation times who can plan ahead and stick to the plan, this new ticket scheme might be just fine, IMHO.

(first time I'm posting on these boards! I've learned so much already here, though.) What would you do? I'm planning a trip in May but have been holding off on booking anything - room, tickets, flights - because there's a smidge of uncertainty in our dates and I'm slightly concerned about my father's health (trip is for me, my husband, two kids, my parents). Definitely want to stay on-site. Seems like my options are:
1) continue waiting until late October until I feel much more confident about our dates and risk paying more
2) book room only reservations now and get tickets from Undercover Tourist now (my original plan was to do this in late October)
3) book room and ticket package now from Disney
Is there an option that makes the most sense to any of you more versed in these details? Does getting the package from Disney give me more flexibility if I have to make changes than doing room and tickets separately? I'm guessing second week of May will not be peak season for the date-dependent ticket prices, but we also would only be getting park tickets for 3 days with a 5 night stay. Trying to balance saving money with not locking myself into a trip too early. Of course booking flights is another issue entirely! Many thanks for any insight!

(first time I'm posting on these boards! I've learned so much already here, though.) What would you do? I'm planning a trip in May but have been holding off on booking anything - room, tickets, flights - because there's a smidge of uncertainty in our dates and I'm slightly concerned about my father's health (trip is for me, my husband, two kids, my parents). Definitely want to stay on-site. Seems like my options are:
1) continue waiting until late October until I feel much more confident about our dates and risk paying more
2) book room only reservations now and get tickets from Undercover Tourist now (my original plan was to do this in late October)
3) book room and ticket package now from Disney
Is there an option that makes the most sense to any of you more versed in these details? Does getting the package from Disney give me more flexibility if I have to make changes than doing room and tickets separately? I'm guessing second week of May will not be peak season for the date-dependent ticket prices, but we also would only be getting park tickets for 3 days with a 5 night stay. Trying to balance saving money with not locking myself into a trip too early. Of course booking flights is another issue entirely! Many thanks for any insight!
Book room-only: Only requires a one-night deposit.

Purchase tickets from UT, ParkSavers, Boardwalk Ticketing, or Reserve Orlando.

The folks on our local news did a story on the Disney ticket price change this morning.
They were saying that it will be possible to see a price drop depending on what you buy and how you buy them. I got interrupted by the dog needing to go out before I heard the particulars

Argh. So we are going the last week of March 2019 (spring break, it's when we can go). I assume however if we purchase our tickets online NOW, we will get the current pricing and the tickets will still be good for our trip in March? But if we purchase them after Oct 16 we will have to pay the new prices which will most likely be more due to spring break?

Another first poster here. I didn't read the entire thread, but I read the first 4 or so pages. My family is going in April 2019 (Easter week, the kids can't miss school). After looking at crowd calendars for previous Easter weeks :-)guilty::guilty::guilty:) I am going to assume that prices will be high after we get to 10/16. So I am going with UT and buying e-tickets as they last until 12/31/19. The whole family was planning on getting Magic bands (we stay off site, cheap time share thanks to my father) so we can load them up and have no worries.

Unless someone here can tell me I shouldn't.

I am extremely happy I found The DIS. :tigger:

Here's a question...our next trip we were going to stay onsite for 7 nights, however, only go to the parks for one day (gasp!) but with hopping added.

With the current system, we would have to choose between Value, Reg, Peak for our ticket price. We were going to choose Value (Mon-Thurs), but we would get to use the tickets on any of those value days.

With the new system, we would have to pick a day at the time of purchase and could only use our tickets on that exact day. Am I understanding that correctly? I have to now know VERY far in advance which day of a week-long vacation I plan to go to WDW?

Argh. So we are going the last week of March 2019 (spring break, it's when we can go). I assume however if we purchase our tickets online NOW, we will get the current pricing and the tickets will still be good for our trip in March? But if we purchase them after Oct 16 we will have to pay the new prices which will most likely be more due to spring break?
Correct, except that the last week of March isn't "spring break" for everyone so I wouldn't expect the prices to be as high as Easter week.

Robo has added info links to the 1st post of the Ticket Sticky.

The directive in the linked page is to purchase your tickets now.

Here's a question...our next trip we were going to stay onsite for 7 nights, however, only go to the parks for one day (gasp!) but with hopping added.

With the current system, we would have to choose between Value, Reg, Peak for our ticket price. We were going to choose Value (Mon-Thurs), but we would get to use the tickets on any of those value days.

With the new system, we would have to pick a day at the time of purchase and could only use our tickets on that exact day. Am I understanding that correctly? I have to now know VERY far in advance which day of a week-long vacation I plan to go to WDW?
Yes, you would have to choose a specific date or pay extra for the "flexible" option.

Another first poster here. I didn't read the entire thread, but I read the first 4 or so pages. My family is going in April 2019 (Easter week, the kids can't miss school). After looking at crowd calendars for previous Easter weeks :-)guilty::guilty::guilty:) I am going to assume that prices will be high after we get to 10/16. So I am going with UT and buying e-tickets as they last until 12/31/19. The whole family was planning on getting Magic bands (we stay off site, cheap time share thanks to my father) so we can load them up and have no worries.

Unless someone here can tell me I shouldn't.

I am extremely happy I found The DIS. :tigger:
:welcome: to DIS! And yes, buying tickets now is the best thing to do.

If you purchase that one-Day ticket as part of an onsite package, you can use that 1 ticket any day of your package stay.

My thoughts exactly, and how will tiering be done to block passes for the months following the opening of galaxys edge

DL did that recently. Changed the number of blackout dates.

DL did that when DCA opened. The AP wouldn’t work for DCA unless upgraded to a 2-Park AP. And, they would not do upgrades during the first month that DCA was open.

DLR blocked out all lower levels of APs when DL celebrated its 50th. For that specific day, only the Deluxe Passport or whatever it was, was allowed.

Disney can alter their block outs according to crowd expectations and will give a few weeks notice.

Can anyone view an AP calendar or just current AP's? I want to buy 4 platinum AP's for my family (with no blackout dates) and do 2 trips May 2019 and May 2020. I would hate for us to spend all this money and then we have blockout dates for our dates we book.
Changing Blackout Dates is very different than putting Blackout Dates on an AP that has no Blackout Dates period.
I do not see them adding any Blackout Dates to the current AP that have no Blackout Dates.
Platinum AP have no Blackout Dates, so there are no Blackout Dates to find on a calendar.
Out of state, non-DVC owners can only buy Platinum APs anyway.
Right now, only FL residents, to my knowledge, have any worries about Blackout Date AP.
Will that change? Possible.
I do not believe it will but it can.
I do not believe they will add any Blackout Dates to the AP that are currently Blackout Date free.

ETA - Won't be long before we know more about the AP and what they'll do for 2019. They'll have to put something up there for Platinum AP by December 2018, since those who buy them will still be valid in Dec 19.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter