NEW VGF Building

Actually, the Villas at Wilderness Lodge became Boulder Ridge Villas. The rooms converted in the main building were always Copper Creek Villas from the start as they were a new resort.

I don’t think we will see a name change, but rather booking of Villlas at the Grand Floridian and then Villas at the Grand Floridian - Big Pine Key.
And hopefully when we go to book we can choose which building we want the studios in, similar to Kidani and Jambo House.

I just purchased at $255/pt. the last week of April. It was for 60 points. I am not upset with this new development as I expect any discounts will be for point amounts more than my 60 points.

True, but it shouldn’t be a guessing game. Give solid reasons and expectations. Right now, it’s unclear why certain policies are enacted. You don’t want DVC to turn into the tax code with a million rules and exceptions, some of which just leave people scratching their heads.

There will have to be some way to distinguish studios in the DVC building and studios in the Pine Creek building ( why can’t I remember this name?). Anyway I prefer to stay in the VGF DVC building. I do not want all of these studios to be lumped into one booking category, then have to request the original DVC building. I want to KNOW I will be placed there.
I see no reason they can't do this. Even if point charts end up being the same (big if), there's no reason you can't change the label like the walk in shower studios at CCV. Heck even if they get it wrong, it's an easy fix if there is enough uproar.
No matter how the point chart turns out, IMO, there will be a separate booking category for the new studios in the former Big Pine Building. There almost has to be - those who already bought guaranteed weeks need to be assigned to the original VGF Building. Everyone else needs to know when they book which building they can expect to be assigned. If the points are the same for both buildings, then it will work just like it works at the BWV for the Pool/Garden & Boardwalk views. Again, IMO, even if there will be different point requirements (I think that is likely), I still expect distinct booking categories for each building. If there isn't, the VGF Front Desk will have the same issues that the BWV CMS had when members didn't get the view they wanted.

Last edited:
Riviera Deluxe Standard View Studio is $751.72 on an average night this year through Disney including tax, and 19.41 points on average, a nightly value of $38.74 per point vs paying cash.

Grand Floridian Deluxe Standard View Studio is $854.56 on an average night this year through Disney including tax, and 21.57 points on average, a nightly value of $39.61, or a 2% better value per point than Riviera.

So someone explain to me why they think Disney will charge a 25% premium to provide a 2% value?
Why? Because a) the Grand Floridian has a better location, b) is a stunning iconic property, c) is within walking distance to MK, d) it will be new and shiny, and e) it’s an emotional purchase and as folks start coming back in droves they’ll be able to get away with it.

Why? Because a) the Grand Floridian has a better location, b) is a stunning iconic property, c) is within walking distance to MK, d) it will be new and shiny, and e) it’s an emotional purchase and as folks start coming back in droves they’ll be able to get away with it.

so why wouldn’t those same reasons make a bigger difference in cash stays?

Ok that’s all accounted for already in my math by comparing it to cash prices so what else you got

a) the Grand Floridian has a better location,
Disney has been pushing the Skyliner hard in its marketing of the Riviera. The Skyliner definitely has a fanbase.

Is being on the Monorail a better location than being able to take the Skyliner to two theme parks? I dunno. That can be argued either way. (I prefer the Monorail.)
b) is a stunning iconic property,
Yes it is.

PVB was sold as a stunning iconic property. Disney expected this to sell like hotcakes. (So did I.) The reality is that PVB sold at about the same pace as other recent DVC resorts.

I am agreeing with you, but I also thought PVB was going to sell really fast, so I don't know if my agreement is worth much. :)
c) is within walking distance to MK,
As I recall, BLT sold really fast. I think being the first Monorail DVC and being within walking distance of MK had a lot to do with that.
d) it will be new and shiny
The Grand Floridian opened in 1988. Repairing wood rot and a fresh coat of paint does not make that building new.

Non-GF Guests have been visiting the GF for decades. If anything, its appeal is its historic place in the history of WDW, the opposite of shiny and new.

The Riviera is shiny and new.
e) it’s an emotional purchase and as folks start coming back in droves they’ll be able to get away with it.
Every DVC purchase is emotional. But I agree with your point that there is a pent-up demand that might improve DVC sales. We haven't seen it yet in current direct DVC sales but sales have been rising every month.

Last edited:
No matter how the point chart turns out, IMO, there will be a separate booking category for the new studios in the former Big Pine Building. There almost has to be - those who already bought guaranteed weeks need to be assigned to the original VGF Building. Everyone else needs to know when they book which building they an expect to be assigned. I the points are the same for both buildings, then it will work just like it works at the BWV for the Pool/Garden & Boardwalk views. Again, IMO, even if there will be different point requirements (I think that is likely),I still expect distinct booking categories for each building. If there isn't, the VGF Front Desk will have the same issues that the BWV CMS had when members didn't get the view they wanted.
I sure hope so. While others prefer a bigger room with little to no kitchenette, I feel the current studios with two baths and a kitchenette are a perfect size for us. Plus I love the standard views. Did I mention I love VGF? LOL :)

Last edited:
No matter how the point chart turns out, IMO, there will be a separate booking category for the new studios in the former Big Pine Building. There almost has to be - those who already bought guaranteed weeks need to be assigned to the original VGF Building. Everyone else needs to know when they book which building they an expect to be assigned. I the points are the same for both buildings, then it will work just like it works at the BWV for the Pool/Garden & Boardwalk views. Again, IMO, even if there will be different point requirements (I think that is likely),I still expect distinct booking categories for each building. If there isn't, the VGF Front Desk will have the same issues that the BWV CMS had when members didn't get the view they wanted.

I think I agree. I think there will be 4 to 5 categories of studios. Standard View and Lake View (DVC Building). Standard View and Lake View at Big Pine Key. (There could be a 5th category called Theme Park View at Big Pine, but it would be a small number of units so I doubt it.)

I think Disney has tried very hard to raise the point cost of the studios at VGF by raising the lock-off premium by large amounts. Pushback from the members made them roll this back. The rooms at the DVC building are governed by the lock off premium. The rooms at Big Pine Key are not constrained by the lock-off premium. I think they will be more points per night, while keeping the price per point in line with Riviera or a slight premium over Riviera.

The adjustments are always in the point chart. I strongly believe VGF will go on sale for right around the same price as RIV (now whatever that price is when VGF2 goes live is unknown). Would not shock me though if they made the new studios 10% more in points than the older VGF studios. Have some sales pitch about how they are larger etc.
As a VGF1 owner, I would strongly be against this if DVC were to do this. To me, it would devalue my membership as I bought and planned based upon assumptions of what was available and the total points at the resort. To now have over twice as many people trying to get the original studios (if they are less points, as you propose), would have a very negative impact to me as a member. If they wanted to do this, then the proper thing to do would be to create a separate condo association.

I think that if DVC prices the studios differently, there is going to be a bit of a revolt among VGF1 owners. Also, I do want to know under what circumstances DVD can amend the original POS to add more points where it could impact the percentage ownership of the unit that I have (as discussed on the 2022 point chart thread). DVD has to tread carefully here to respect the rights of the owners in the existing condo association.

I sure hope so. While others prefer a bigger room with little to no kitchenette, I feel the current studios with two baths and a kitchenette are a perfect size for us. Plus I love the standard views. Did I mention I love VGF? LOL :)
I'm not ready to assume the new studios will be different from other studios besides maybe being bigger. I will wait until sales begin and all the specifics are known.

As a VGF1 owner, I would strongly be against this if DVC were to do this. To me, it would devalue my membership as I bought and planned based upon assumptions of what was available and the total points at the resort. To now have over twice as many people trying to get the original studios (if they are less points, as you propose), would have a very negative impact to me as a member. If they wanted to do this, then the proper thing to do would be to create a separate condo association.

I think that if DVC prices the studios differently, there is going to be a bit of a revolt among VGF1 owners. Also, I do want to know under what circumstances DVD can amend the original POS to add more points where it could impact the percentage ownership of the unit that I have (as discussed on the 2022 point chart thread). DVD has to tread carefully here to respect the rights of the owners in the existing condo association.
Absolutely agree. My thoughts all along is this will put added pressure on the current VGF studios.

If I were a VGF1 owner, this would be my #1 concern.

Historically, the lease expensive (i.e. fewest points per night) DVC rooms are booked first.

If you are an existing VGF1 owner and Disney does decide to make the VGF2 rooms more expensive, you're going to end up with a situation where it's difficult to book a VGF1 Studio at 11 months.

I understand Disney might create a third category for those very few VGF2 rooms that have a slight view of the MK, but if VGF2 Standard and Lake View Studios end up costing more than VGF1, it's a recipe for a bunch of very unhappy VGF1 owners.

If I were a VGF1 owner, this would be my #1 concern.

Historically, the lease expensive (i.e. fewest points per night) DVC rooms are booked first.

If you are an existing VGF1 owner and Disney does decide to make the VGF2 rooms more expensive, you're going to end up with a situation where it's difficult to book a VGF1 Studio at 11 months.

I understand Disney might create a third category for those very few VGF2 rooms that have a slight view of the MK, but if VGF2 Standard and Lake View Studios end up costing more than VGF1, it's a recipe for a bunch of very unhappy VGF1 owners.

This is my biggest concern too. It seems most of us are in agreement.

Second concern is will it make the 1/2 bedrooms harder to book. Less concerned there since we’ve only booked studios there until today (2 bedroom std view for next spring for the whole family). AKL is our other home so we can always shift larger group stays there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter