NEW VGF Building

I don’t think the issue is too many 1-bedrooms and too few studios: the problem is they don’t properly price the units. In most cases, 1-bedrooms are more than double the point price of a studio.
This is exactly what I was trying to say, but apparently didn't say it very well!

I can't think of any other timeshare system that has such a wide disparity in pricing.

I don’t think the issue is too many 1-bedrooms and too few studios: the problem is they don’t properly price the units. In most cases, 1-bedrooms are more than double the point price of a studio. At that price difference, for a room that sleeps the same number of people, it’s not surprising that many families would choose studios.

Note for cash rooms, where prices are set truer to supply and demand, 1 BRs are often priced only about 50% higher than studios. But in points, they are often priced 125% higher.

The supply/demand issue would be solved by changing the point charts.

But by perpetuating this issue even in new resorts, Disney is making the choice to promote “cheap studios.” By keeping studio point charts low, it lets them market DVC as a significant discount against hotel rooms. Let’s them sell lots of 150 point contracts, instead of a smaller number of 250-300 point contracts.
The 1BR continue to be the worst "value" in DVC, yet we book them a lot because of the full kitchen etc and a separate sleeping space for the kids.

So I actually like the VGF2 setup for shorter trips (4-5 days or less). I would take the real bed all day over a sofa bed. And if we are doing a studio trip I am not eating much in the room anyway. Give me a coffee pot, little mini fridge and I am good to go. (we use gallon jugs of water for the coffee anyway so the sink is not a big deal).

And for longer trips we are doing 1-2BRs anyway, so I actually like this studio setup. But basically for short trips I would be fine in a hotel so I guess it is the same thing.

The 1BR continue to be the worst "value" in DVC, yet we book them a lot because of the full kitchen etc and a separate sleeping space for the kids.

So I actually like the VGF2 setup for shorter trips (4-5 days or less). I would take the real bed all day over a sofa bed. And if we are doing a studio trip I am not eating much in the room anyway. Give me a coffee pot, little mini fridge and I am good to go. (we use gallon jugs of water for the coffee anyway so the sink is not a big deal).

And for longer trips we are doing 1-2BRs anyway, so I actually like this studio setup. But basically for short trips I would be fine in a hotel so I guess it is the same thing.

I don't doubt that a low of people will like the "resort studios." Especially for families of 3-4 who don't plan to eat in the room or spend much time in the room, having the extra real bed is an advantage.

For couples, that extra bed just takes up floor space you might rather have open. And apparently, there isn't even a full mini-fridge, just a "beverage center."
Certainly the kitchenette in studios was never conducive to having full meals, but was beneficial for casual breakfast and expanded snacking. With the sofa/murphy, you had more room for seating, and you had real dishes, so easy to bring a meal into the room. Microwave to re-heat.

So yes, those looking for purely a bedroom to sleep 3-5 people, the "resort studios" may indeed be preferable. But it's a real negative for those who viewed DVC as more than a bedroom.

We always book 1 br and generally near 11 months. We assume most people are going to buy enough points to stay at studios, not 1 brs. I hope we are correct but right now we are not overly concerned about being able to book a 1 BR at VGF around month 11.

The problem is 1BRs are actually lock offs. Before, they were always available because the studio side booked up. Now, there will be more studios, and the 2BR lockoff will still be open.

The new points from the new wing could squeeze the 1BR if they squeeze the 2BR. Either 1BR or 2BR bookings put pressure on just 47 1BR units. It definitely feels the squeeze at 7 mo with people booking the 2BR.

I further support the people saying issue isn’t ratio of studio vs 1br inventory it’s point charts. I love the idea of staying in 1br but just can’t justify the cost. We tend to travel with my family and in laws so fit in 1brs. However, we normally choose to get two studios instead of 1br and pay less points. If we want to get the washer/dryer and kitchen we upgrade to 2br and include additional family lol.

Last edited:
Definitely a quick cash grab.

But, my unpopular opinion (apparently), if I were planning on staying in studios for all stays, I would prefer two real beds and a 'regular hotel room' than a 1 bed and pull down. When I was talking to two different members I know before I bought, that was both of their main warning. That studio rooms are not regular hotels and that they were unhappy when they first realized sofa beds were standard (as well as the housekeeping difference).

It definitely hurts existing VGF owners that are not interested in this style room so I feel bad.

I am definitely still interested in a small add-on, but I need to see price first.
I agree. Families especially will prefer 2 real beds. I think they will be popular because of that reason. Although, as a non GFV owner, I am nervous I’ll never be able to book another 1br at 7 months due to all the new GFV resort studio owners who opt for 1 or 2 BRs in the other building.

My reasoning is the # of points it will be. I'd expect them to be less points than Poly/VGF Deluxe studio, but more than most other resorts.

I agree, I think they’ll be slightly less costly to book compared to the Deluxe Studios at VGF. I like the way they look but it’s disappointing they don’t have the kitchenette. We primarily book 2BRs and will likely stay in the summer so I don’t think availability will be too impacted for us. If we ever go during winter break though, it’ll probably become even harder to book the 2BR.

Last edited:
If I owned at GF I'd be royally pissed since the added competition at 11 months might be significant. I get that studios are more popular, but these aren't 'studios' -- they're hotel rooms. They don't compare in any way to a studio at GF1 or Poly.

Are the rooms connecting like at Poly? That would be the only redeeming feature for me.

I'm trying not to be negative, but Disney and DVC sure have thrown up a lot of air balls lately.

Are the rooms connecting like at Poly? That would be the only redeeming feature for me

The current studios are lockoffs, so no. Who knows with the new studios. That sounds like a feature that costs money, so maybe they can make a new category and charge more.

The current studios are lockoffs, so no. Who knows with the new studios. That sounds like a feature that costs money, so maybe they can make a new category and charge more.
Are the GF rooms connecting now? If they are, that is unlikely to change in the conversion.

Are the GF rooms connecting now? If they are, that is unlikely to change in the conversion.

I didn't even see where it would fit in the flooplan we saw of the existing rooms. Maybe there are some they can cram it in and charge more for?

Which is why - once they start selling VGF points - the price may be really high - so ‘new’ owners could afford just enough for the new resort studios but not enough for 1Br or 2Br…anyway - that’s my theory.
If that was the case, then a new owner would probably get 150 basic points to qualify for blue card and then try their hand at the resale market for addonitis. Of course this may take some time to percolate through the system, but I wouldn't be happy as a VGF1 owner watching the VGF2 dilute my points and increase the competition at 11 months for high demand rooms.

If that was the case, then a new owner would probably get 150 basic points to qualify for blue card and then try their hand at the resale market for addonitis. Of course this may take some time to percolate through the system, but I wouldn't be happy as a VGF1 owner watching the VGF2 dilute my points and increase the competition at 11 months for high demand rooms.
I agree - we always get a 1Br in May - luckily - I make my reservations on the first day of my 11 month window, so hopefully, I won’t have a problem getting what I want.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but think it is an important point.
This approach reminds me of Vero Beach. There are delux studios and one and two bedrooms there, but there are also “inn rooms.” I think the new VGF rooms are equivalent to the Inn Rooms at Vero. People love those Inn Rooms! We know this is a model that has worked successfully at another resort, so I am not that worried anymore.

WIth 200 rooms I don't see them going quick. This is going to be a large chunk of points that affects not just VGF owners, but owners elsewhere. I think they'll go around 7-months but not like the current studios or CCV etc.
With 200 additional Studios, VGF will have a total of 247 Studios.

Some other Studio counts:
  • SSR: 432
  • PVB: 360
  • AKV: 296
  • BWV: 246
  • OKW: 230
With VGF becoming predominantly Studios, I wonder if booking a Studio at VGF will become a bit like booking a Studio at PVB, which seems to be somewhere in the middle of difficulty to book.

This approach reminds me of Vero Beach. There are delux studios and one and two bedrooms there, but there are also “inn rooms.” I think the new VGF rooms are equivalent to the Inn Rooms at Vero. People love those Inn Rooms! We know this is a model that has worked successfully at another resort, so I am not that worried anymore.
Yes but the inn rooms at vero have a full kitchenette

With 200 additional Studios, VGF will have a total of 247 Studios.

Some other Studio counts:
  • SSR: 432
  • PVB: 360
  • AKV: 296
  • BWV: 246
  • OKW: 230
With VGF becoming predominantly Studios, I wonder if booking a Studio at VGF will become a bit like booking a Studio at PVB, which seems to be somewhere in the middle of difficulty to book.

I think that will be the case with the new resort ones. Other than high times, it’s going to be doable right at 7 months.

The fact they are not the same as the deluxe studio in the original building. I just can’t imagine them being more but a few points less each night.

However, we will start with 50 to 75 points for these and to book them for early December trips which I do think will be tough without home advantage for when we want to use them.

We love the Inn Rooms! They do have the mini kitchenette so a bit different, though.

Ultimately, it all comes down to how you travel.

Do you eat in your room? Do you need to keep food cold? If you don’t, then these rooms can fit the bill. They are standard deluxe hotel rooms.

My family eats breakfast in the room at minimum, keeps snacks in the fridge, and uses the kitchenette all day. I have 2 littles and that area is a game changer.

The loss of the fridge really frustrates me, it’s so simple and so useful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter