NEW VGF Building

If the studio rooms cost more than a deluxe, I bet they won’t, then no one will get a deluxe again as competition will be insane

id wager studios are less than deluxe by at least 1 point
I think that would make the most sense. I hope DVC thinks that way though!

In viewing the new studios for VGF, there is no table and chairs like the original, and the sofa doesn't even face the TV for you to watch. Who is designing these rooms?

So a thought I've been pondering with regards to VGF2 (yes, I know what's been announced, just having some fun and reading tea leaves). What if instead of adding the conversion to VGF1 they instead have a new 50 year resort/contract? Conversion is only a part and then a new building in the area that opens up with the moving of Grand Floridian way as per the permits filed. This would be like Jambo and Kidani, a conversion that can be sold very soon along with the additional new building that they'll be able to keep selling once it nears completion.

Two reasons I throw this out there. First, while we don't all agree on where the price will be, most will agree it will be higher than Riviera however this will be starting with reduced years due to the expiry of VGF1. If they had it as a new resort with 50 years it would be easier to justify whatever price they decide to put on it as an active sale resort. The other reason being possible feedback we're seeing from existing VGF owners. People are worried about having to compete for the current rooms with those buying the converted building. This would eliminate that concern as well.

Just a thought, for fun. Feel free to poke holes in it lol.

although an interesting idea I would say zero chance this is a new condo association because the press release already made clear it’s the same gfv association. Yes Disney could go back on what was in the official release, but corporations tend not go back on official pressure.eases, tends to impact the stock price

from the release
Featuring the Victorian elegance and charm of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort, these new Villas will offer Members luxury accommodations and amenities, with some Villas boasting stunning views of Bay Lake and Magic Kingdom. Projected to open in summer 2022, these new Villas are an expansion of The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and will be a part of its current condominium association.

So a thought I've been pondering with regards to VGF2 (yes, I know what's been announced, just having some fun and reading tea leaves). What if instead of adding the conversion to VGF1 they instead have a new 50 year resort/contract? Conversion is only a part and then a new building in the area that opens up with the moving of Grand Floridian way as per the permits filed. This would be like Jambo and Kidani, a conversion that can be sold very soon along with the additional new building that they'll be able to keep selling once it nears completion.

Two reasons I throw this out there. First, while we don't all agree on where the price will be, most will agree it will be higher than Riviera however this will be starting with reduced years due to the expiry of VGF1. If they had it as a new resort with 50 years it would be easier to justify whatever price they decide to put on it as an active sale resort. The other reason being possible feedback we're seeing from existing VGF owners. People are worried about having to compete for the current rooms with those buying the converted building. This would eliminate that concern as well.

In viewing the new studios for VGF, there is no table and chairs like the original, and the sofa doesn't even face the TV for you to watch. Who is designing these rooms?
They layout is the same as the current GF hotel room layout.

although an interesting idea I would say zero chance this is a new condo association because the press release already made clear it’s the same gfv association. Yes Disney could go back on what was in the official release, but corporations tend not go back on official pressure.eases, tends to impact the stock price

from the release
Featuring the Victorian elegance and charm of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort, these new Villas will offer Members luxury accommodations and amenities, with some Villas boasting stunning views of Bay Lake and Magic Kingdom. Projected to open in summer 2022, these new Villas are an expansion of The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and will be a part of its current condominium association.
There was also a press release about the next DVC resort being Reflections. Work was also done on the site. Most people will have no idea what difference it makes if it's part of the current condo or a new one and the fact that they would actually have more points to sell would be beneficial to stock prices.

The third point that I forgot to mention was resale restrictions. Either they have to not put restrictions on the expansion (which they have shown they want) or there will be some legal gymnastics involved in having some points within one resort tied to restrictions and some not. By starting a new resort it would be easier/cleaner to implement restrictions there.

This is four or five star hotel room that you pre pay for. you referenced days inn, that’s not a luxury brand. Any four star hotel room has a comparable setup, so I would not say most hotels have your microwave. They don’t have kitchens, they don’t have microwaves, some have a drink fridge and that’s about it.

i for one am extremely excited for these rooms. I never want to cook while on vacation. These rooms are perfect for me

No. Disney Vacation Club is a timeshare and has had these basic amenities in every single room they've built. The Days Inn was an example that it isn't asking a lot to keep it so.

Having it part of the existing offers them better sales and profit points I'd believe:

1 - Same 11 month access to current studio-GV villas without the expense of building more..
2 - No resale restrictions. (offers them a step back on that action without having to obviously step back)
3 - Disney gets it all back at the same time and less than 50 years. Then sell it all again!

They've had less success compared to expectations in selling studio only resorts (they believed PVB would fly out the door as did most but when they pulled back they learned that there are a number of buyers that want larger villas). They also have seen that there are a lot of people that will care less about 50 years - they want where they want. And if they do care more about it they can be redirected to properties that have longer contracts.

No. Disney Vacation Club is a timeshare and has had these basic amenities in every single room they've built. The Days Inn was an example that it isn't asking a lot to keep it so.

yes Disney is a timeshare but it’s also clear things are changing including who owns at dvc. To me a kitchen is a detractor. I prefer the new gfv2 layout over the deluxe rooms and I’d wager I’m not alone Otherwise Disney would not be doing gfv2. Disney like any Corp monster does plenty of market research and collects as much data before doing anything. gfv2 is a decision based on data to appeal to customers like me who never eats in the room

what dvc used to be is not what it will be in ten years. Needs and customers change. Winter is coming

yes Disney is a timeshare but it’s also clear things are changing including who owns at dvc. To me a kitchen is a detractor. I prefer the new gfv2 layout over the deluxe rooms and I’d wager I’m not alone Otherwise Disney would not be doing gfv2. Disney like any Corp monster does plenty of market research and collects as much data before doing anything. gfv2 is a decision based on data to appeal to customers like me who never eats in the room

what dvc used to be is not what it will be in ten years. Needs and customers change. Winter is coming

The question is though - would a little microwave and fridge station make you not purchase? My guess is not but it might stop some from being interested who otherwise would.
I do not believe Disney has devoted any great analysis to this decision nor are they mistake free. BLT had a remodel of their studios within a couple of years of opening because of design complaints. Aulani had a major resort remodel because of bad design decisions at a non-park location. SSR has gotten more amenities added over the years because of complaints. All paid for by DVC. Out of all that Disney does they are really just so-so in the hotel/timeshare business. Small pools, lack of food services and the list goes on. They survive at the level they offer because of the parks.

This new building allows Disney the opportunity to:

1) cram a ton of people into the resort - all studios so not wasting space by allowing people a living room.
2) provide more studios - some people on the boards aren’t acknowledging the fact that studios sell out all the time - they look to be the most booked up as far as I can tell. In my opinion people don’t care about logistics as much as we might think - but the ability to have a 15-min leisurely stroll to walk into the magic kingdom…i would very easily trade off having a full fridge for that.
3) “sell out” as early as 7 months out. I would think any hotel chain’s most desired fantasy is to have all rooms booked 7 months out.

This new building allows Disney the opportunity to:

1) cram a ton of people into the resort - all studios so not wasting space by allowing people a living room.
2) provide more studios - some people on the boards aren’t acknowledging the fact that studios sell out all the time - they look to be the most booked up as far as I can tell. In my opinion people don’t care about logistics as much as we might think - but the ability to have a 15-min leisurely stroll to walk into the magic kingdom…i would very easily trade off having a full fridge for that.
3) “sell out” as early as 7 months out. I would think any hotel chain’s most desired fantasy is to have all rooms booked 7 months out.

Only comment is in regard to #3. The beauty of them having timeshares is they don't really care about when it's booked because it's already being paid for by the owners no matter what. They might lean more towards it not getting booked so they can rent it out under the breakage clause which a minimum total amount of breakage goes back to the association and then the rest is profit for DVC.

And that is a shame. DVC model was built on the “Home away from home” model. Now it’s “ Cram, crash, and go” model.

There is something very special about VGF and how it is a stand alone building with its own lobby and check in, covered walkway and access to all the hotel amenities. The VGF2 looks like it will be nice enough, just hope it doesn't make VGF 1 more difficult to book. I tend book 11 months out. We actually stopped going in early December because of all the walkers blocking the studios before 11 months. The new building should make the tough to book studio dates easier at the expense of 1br at VGF1. Hope they do it right and I would think that the new villas should be slightly lower points to book.

There was an outcry when BLT did not have window sheers in their rooms ( sun glare a big problem). I think the continued response from owners was the cause for Disney to eventually install them. Maybe if enough owners complain, we will get the mini fridges.

Last edited:
This may been discussed as I have only read about 30 pages of this thread so far but: Any speculation about the number of points that will be sold as VGF2? I could foresee this seriously messing with the points charts for VGF1 as I imagine there will be a rebalancing of sorts once this new bucket o points get popped into an existing resort's total. What happens if the initial points cost for a VGF2 studio is 20% higher than a VGF1 studio and then year 2 comes around and DVC "adjusts" the chart across VGF in general which slides the points cost for all other rooms up? Just thinking of how this expansion will be used to screw existing owners....

VGF2 is a small building. Number of points will be around 2M, depending on the charts, obviously.

DVC has no money right now. I wouldn’t read too much into such a small project, which is obviously the cheapest thing DVC can pull off and act like something OMG new is happening. It doesn’t even move the needle on overall DVC.

If Disney is still struggling in a few years, they might do the same thing and convert a few more rooms somewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter