News Round Up 2017

If it is another take at storylines during the Hobbit and LotR time period, then I will be nervous.

If, however, they try some storylines during the time of the Silmarillion, that might be interesting. Christopher Tolkien tried his best to publish stories that were incomplete. So those might benefit from some creative licensing, again if done properly. The Children of Hurin, the life of Feanor or the founding of Imladris and the forging of the rings by Celebrimbor could be great...if done appropriately.

A set of mini-series or anthology show that would explore those stories would be awesome, if given enough budget, but chances are they'll go for a more conventional series and we'll get the Adventures of Young Aragorn.

A set of mini-series or anthology show that would explore those stories would be awesome, if given enough budget, but chances are they'll go for a more conventional series and we'll get the Adventures of Young Aragorn.

Yeah exactly... some of the other stories might be hard for Amazon to really turn into something big enough. You’d only get the interest of hard core fans. But an Aragorn: Origins Story, especially if the can butcher it completely and add in a young Legolas for added broad appeal, now that might be something they go for :(

The Magic of Christmas - Wizarding World of Harry Potter new projection show

New projection show (and definitely a projection show, just a couple of fireworks) debuted at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter last night. Below is the video the DIS took and also, Big Fat Panda did a multi-angle video so including that one as well

I liked how it seemed more like an actual show that would have been put on in the actual world of Harry Potter and not just a bunch of images from the film projected onto the castle with no consideration for scale (for the most part, the dancing scene is the exception)

Was Disney the first to really perfect these projection shows? I remember seeing the first one on the castle years ago and feeling like I had never see anything like it.

Was Disney the first to really perfect these projection shows? I remember seeing the first one on the castle years ago and feeling like I had never see anything like it.

From what I could find, the first know instance is from the Haunted Mansion in Disneyland (The singing busts, etc.) and also, Disney appears to have the first patent for the technology (filed in 1991). There were some other uses in academia and art installations between then and now ...

... but really does seem like is is something Disney pioneered ... and now you see lots of applications of it

Maybe they are overhyping, but the rides appear to be:
1) A simulator where you have only 4 people in the simulator and whose actions in the ride also affect the ride.
2) A trackless system where you potentially ride the ride, get off at one point to participate in a battle, and return to another portion of the ride. It also contains two full size AT-ATs within the ride itself.

It's possible that the stories aren't true and these rides are just standard simulator and trackless ride, but that's not the impressions I've gotten. I expect these to challenge Forbidden Journey for "best theme park rides in existence".

The battle attraction will certainly be more than just screens - there are supposed to be twice as many animatronics in it than one pirates

Is there somewhere I can read about this? First I've heard of the animatronics or the getting off of the ride, but both sound awesome.

NEWS/SPOILER

Just read that in the update to Star Tours there are two new locations. In addition to visiting Crait ....

You Land on the Planet Batuu which IS Galaxy’s Edge

Is it bad I now want to schedule a trip so I can go see a virtual representation of a future fake world? Probably so. Granted, I've been trying to justify a reason to go back anyway.

For the most part yes and Disney has come a long way since that first castle projection show.

From what I could find, the first know instance is from the Haunted Mansion in Disneyland (The singing busts, etc.) and also, Disney appears to have the first patent for the technology (filed in 1991). There were some other uses in academia and art installations between then and now ...

... but really does seem like is is something Disney pioneered ... and now you see lots of applications of it

My thoughts exactly. Really impressive stuff... at least to our family. :)

For the most part yes and Disney has come a long way since that first castle projection show.

Was Celebrate the Magic the first castle projection show? I don't remember anything before that, but I also don't have much memory of things before 2012.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter