News Round Up 2017

The Magic of Christmas - Wizarding World of Harry Potter new projection show

New projection show (and definitely a projection show, just a couple of fireworks) debuted at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter last night. Below is the video the DIS took and also, Big Fat Panda did a multi-angle video so including that one as well

I liked how it seemed more like an actual show that would have been put on in the actual world of Harry Potter and not just a bunch of images from the film projected onto the castle with no consideration for scale (for the most part, the dancing scene is the exception)

Wow, that's pretty good! I guess I'll actually have to take that thanksgiving trip after all.

Is there somewhere I can read about this? First I've heard of the animatronics or the getting off of the ride, but both sound awesome.

Well, a lot is cobbled together from various reports from insiders, etc. This link is a good summary:
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-land-update/

To the specifics:
"WDI wants you to rush to your wireless and trackless vehicle and board and then disembark and re-board the vehicles on different levels of the massive ride building several times during the course of a long experience, all while under attack by Stormtroopers."

"As for the worry that the Stormtrooper Battle Escape ride might involve a bunch 3D projection screens, the site has learned that that experience alone will have over 150 animatronic Stormtroopers alone, “plus additional animatronic Star Wars characters from the tiny to the gargantuan.”

.... though, as like @rteetz said, reports have changed over time. There does seem to be some evidence that the attraction is multi-level, but the de-board/re-board thing seems to be questionable ... I also think it could tie into the pre-show - so you are in some sort of "ride vehicle"/holding area that looks/acts like a moving vehicle for part of the preshow, then you move out of that in a walking section, and then get on the "real" vehicle for the main part of the ride

Is it bad I now want to schedule a trip so I can go see a virtual representation of a future fake world? Probably so. Granted, I've been trying to justify a reason to go back anyway.

I think we all look for excuses to go back - recently my wife commented that she just measured our son's height and reported it as "he is just tall enough to ride Space Mountain" - and now she has the itch to go back

I would be interested to see how they would handle load/unload/load type procedure. The load/unload is the major capacity constraint on rides except for omnimovers, and even there the load/unload time dictates the pace of the ride. With guests of varying mobility, it would be quite the trick to pull this off and I'd be very interested to see how they do it. Personally, I'd be very surprised if this is the route they take.

I would be interested to see how they would handle load/unload/load type procedure. The load/unload is the major capacity constraint on rides except for omnimovers, and even there the load/unload time dictates the pace of the ride. With guests of varying mobility, it would be quite the trick to pull this off and I'd be very interested to see how they do it. Personally, I'd be very surprised if this is the route they take.

Yeah, this was a big concern raised when this rumor first came out

Only way I can see it is if it were more like multiple separate experiences ... so a "ride" then you get out for a portion that is more like a walking experience/take your time ... then line up to get on the next "ride" - it would be really hard, and inefficient I think, to have that as part of one experience for the reasons you cite

Yeah, for some reason I envision the Haunted Mansion free-for-all between the stretching room and loading the buggies ... sometimes that area works well but depending on the crowd it can get messy

The Magic of Christmas - Wizarding World of Harry Potter new projection show

New projection show (and definitely a projection show, just a couple of fireworks) debuted at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter last night. Below is the video the DIS took and also, Big Fat Panda did a multi-angle video so including that one as well

I liked how it seemed more like an actual show that would have been put on in the actual world of Harry Potter and not just a bunch of images from the film projected onto the castle with no consideration for scale (for the most part, the dancing scene is the exception)

Agree @TheMaxRebo , they did a really nice job of making the projection show look like something wizards might actually do on the outside of the castle as opposed to just projecting scenes from a movie.

Am i the only one that feels like these projection shows have sort of reached saturation? I mean it was really cool at first with the MK show, and then the AK one is neat but not worth going out of your way, but now we have 4 in WDW (There's both the fireworks shows and the ToT show at DHS - so 2 in one park.) and now this one. I find that I already don't really want to go out of my way to see them, but it's more of an "if I'm in the area" thing. I could well be in the minority though, I am on many things.

.... though, as like @rteetz said, reports have changed over time. There does seem to be some evidence that the attraction is multi-level, but the de-board/re-board thing seems to be questionable ... I also think it could tie into the pre-show - so you are in some sort of "ride vehicle"/holding area that looks/acts like a moving vehicle for part of the preshow, then you move out of that in a walking section, and then get on the "real" vehicle for the main part of the ride
Yes it is multi-level so that is new for trackless vehicle systems.

Agree @TheMaxRebo , they did a really nice job of making the projection show look like something wizards might actually do on the outside of the castle as opposed to just projecting scenes from a movie.

Am i the only one that feels like these projection shows have sort of reached saturation? I mean it was really cool at first with the MK show, and then the AK one is neat but not worth going out of your way, but now we have 4 in WDW (There's both the fireworks shows and the ToT show at DHS - so 2 in one park.) and now this one. I find that I already don't really want to go out of my way to see them, but it's more of an "if I'm in the area" thing. I could well be in the minority though, I am on many things.

I feel like there are two separate things: There are the pure projection shows (like what is on the ToT now or this Potter Holiday show) but then there are more the night time spectaculars that include projections but other things (like Happily Ever After which has a lot of projections - but then lots of fireworks (more than Wishes) laser effects, etc.) ....

... long story short, I get what you are saying about the pure projection shows, but I think the mixed media type things are the future - I can't see them ever doing another Magic Kingdom Show that doesn't involve any projections at all

I think mixing them into the fireworks shows is good. I haven't seen the ToT show yet but I think we are getting to that point yet.

I don't agree. To me, that's like saying there are too many fireworks shows. Not for us!

I feel like there are two separate things: There are the pure projection shows (like what is on the ToT now or this Potter Holiday show) but then there are more the night time spectaculars that include projections but other things (like Happily Ever After which has a lot of projections - but then lots of fireworks (more than Wishes) laser effects, etc.) ....

... long story short, I get what you are saying about the pure projection shows, but I think the mixed media type things are the future - I can't see them ever doing another Magic Kingdom Show that doesn't involve any projections at all

I think mixing them into the fireworks shows is good. I haven't seen the ToT show yet but I think we are getting to that point yet.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Mixing in the projections into the fireworks at MK - and to an extent for the Star Wars show at DHS which isn't an ideal situation for either the projections or the fireworks - works wonderfully. It's really the pure projection show that I'm complaining about. And complain is probably overstating it, just a point of that it becomes less special. (Insert Syndrome meme as you desire.)

Here's a question though - How would everyone feel if they replaced the Illuminations globe with a projection globe? Because that would be my guess as to where we're going to see it next.

I don't agree. To me, that's like saying there are too many fireworks shows. Not for us!

See, I enjoy the fireworks WAAAYYY more than the projections.

It makes me think of Universe of Energy. Moving through the attraction in different stages and getting into and out of ride vehicles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter