News Round Up 2017

haha, reminds me of recent conversations with my kids:

TMR's kids: "wait, so the elves make Legos?"

TMR: "um, for some things Santa finds it more cost effective to outsource"

Lmao...

We have the same discussions...only ours are "Santa doesn't make out of production toys you see on eBay because he can't get the plans"

We've done a few of those blind box minis but I put in the rule you must be ok with whichever one you get, usually that works. There's always Pokemon cards too but the strength of that is trading with friends. Plus mine ends up giving cards he doesn't need to his friends who don't have any which I think is pretty sweet of him.

That works everyday until 12/25...at least
Hoepfully a year or two more.

You have to maintain childhood innocence as long as you can. One of the most precious commodities in life...for sure.

You should start watching sports ball...it's a good way to pick up studs...

I have 0 interest in studs. (I'm a successful hipster looking woman). And a slight detour is cool, but lordy, ya'll've been going on about sports for PAGES.

I do want to know what's up with TSL, and other news. FWIW, I think TSL is going to be MORE child friendly than I thought, but that it'll be one of the best child themed lands ever built. The themeing for the slinky dog coaster looks on point for the young fam crew, and looks like an excellent land for all of us, even though I won't need to line up for it.

That works everyday until 12/25...at least
Hoepfully a year or two more.

You have to maintain childhood innocence as long as you can. One of the most precious commodities in life...for sure.

Thankfully 12/25 is not my responsibility anymore. Blessings of the broken household ;) I get to pick up whatever Santa couldn't fit in his bag and say "oops, guess he left it at the wrong house?" But I'm pretty sure he's figured out the con by now.

I have 0 interest in studs. (I'm a successful hipster looking woman). And a slight detour is cool, but lordy, ya'll've been going on about sports for PAGES.

I do want to know what's up with TSL, and other news. FWIW, I think TSL is going to be MORE child friendly than I thought, but that it'll be one of the best child themed lands ever built. The themeing for the slinky dog coaster looks on point for the young fam crew, and looks like an excellent land for all of us, even though I won't need to line up for it.

haha, this is nothing - there is a huge story in New York now about the new afternoon sports talk show that is replacing the current one on one of the sports talk radio stations (yes, NY has multiple radio stations that only cover sports) - so there is huge debate and discussion about a show that debates and discusses sports

As for TSL - I fully agree - the more that it comes together the more I am excited for it ... and for it in general, not just for my kids. I think the new coaster will be really fun and the theming looks great! Still waiting on what food options they will have and hoping it is more creative than typical chicken nuggets and burgers, but we shall see. Would a appreciate a "mommy and daddy drink stand" as well, but probably asking for too much

I have little doubt that toy story is a kiddie land...we just hope its a "quirky" kiddieland that adults can appreciate

I have little doubt that toy story is a kiddie land...we just hope its a "quirky" kiddieland that adults can appreciate

A quirky kiddie land would be amazing! I think the Jesse and Trex type landscaping will be awesome, if it'll appeal and draw tons of folks remains to be seen, but it is a cute land left to its own. While it may not be MY bag, it could still be an awesome addition!

It's absolutely not...enough that is.

The got too enamoured with patting themselves on the back for carsland and "new" fantasyland...but the reality is that those are under built as well. But people won't say no.

A recession will reveal the underbelly of the beast...that's when it will matter.

Didn't start with Disney.

Harry Potter West (IOA) - One new ride
Harry Potter East (US) - One new ride and a up-charge shuttle/train.

I agree this whole new "Land" only gets 2 rides kind of sucks...I think TSL since it's a kiddie land should have

But we all need to understand...Disney doesn't want you on rides...the main time that people aren't spending money is when they on rides, or when they are in line for rides. The mind-set behind the Star Wars "Experience" is that it's not about the rides...it's about the dining experience (SPEND) the interactions with characters (SPEND) the merchandising (SPEND)....not the rides.

And I still say if...and it's really when...this is a hit, they will announce an expansion for Florida, probably a second "land" entirely.

I have a hard time complaining if we are really getting TWO revolutionary rides...not one great ride and a spinner/boat ride.

Didn't start with Disney.

Harry Potter West (IOA) - One new ride
Harry Potter East (US) - One new ride and a up-charge shuttle/train.

I agree this whole new "Land" only gets 2 rides kind of sucks...I think TSL since it's a kiddie land should have

But we all need to understand...Disney doesn't want you on rides...the main time that people aren't spending money is when they on rides, or when they are in line for rides. The mind-set behind the Star Wars "Experience" is that it's not about the rides...it's about the dining experience (SPEND) the interactions with characters (SPEND) the merchandising (SPEND)....not the rides.

And I still say if...and it's really when...this is a hit, they will announce an expansion for Florida, probably a second "land" entirely.

I have a hard time complaining if we are really getting TWO revolutionary rides...not one great ride and a spinner/boat ride.

Have we met?

...two revolutionary rides? Sims are "revolutionary" now? Trackless aren't either...

Ease off on the hype...i'd suggest...

Have we met?

...two revolutionary rides? Sims are "revolutionary" now? Trackless aren't either...

Ease off on the hype...i'd suggest...

Maybe they are overhyping, but the rides appear to be:
1) A simulator where you have only 4 people in the simulator and whose actions in the ride also affect the ride.
2) A trackless system where you potentially ride the ride, get off at one point to participate in a battle, and return to another portion of the ride. It also contains two full size AT-ATs within the ride itself.

It's possible that the stories aren't true and these rides are just standard simulator and trackless ride, but that's not the impressions I've gotten. I expect these to challenge Forbidden Journey for "best theme park rides in existence".

1) A simulator where you have only 4 people in the simulator and whose actions in the ride also affect the ride.
2) A trackless system where you potentially ride the ride, get off at one point to participate in a battle, and return to another portion of the ride. It also contains two full size AT-ATs within the ride itself.

It's possible that the stories aren't true and these rides are just standard simulator and trackless ride, but that's not the impressions I've gotten. I expect these to challenge Forbidden Journey for "best theme park rides in existence".

If you have the "best themepark rides" in there guess what?

...you won't be able to get on them...
...and so, we have come full circle.

Hoping for a quick "phase 2"...and we don't need to go back to that problem do we?

This is like one of those mind puzzles...perplexus...no real path out...

Last edited:

The battle ride will certainly challenge FJ but maybe not Falcon.

I agree with you on this one. Consider: Scott Trowbridge was in UNI for WWoHP. That ride, although praised for the infamous kuka arm, was also chastised for UNI’s penchant for too many screens. Now he’s designing the mega E ticket for SW:GE with some lessons learned. I would venture to bet he will be giving us more than screens.

The one very trusted insider on the wdwmagic boards has stated that Trowbridge and Disney are throwing everything at this ride, including the Imagineers’ kitchen sink. Also, TSL’s budget has clearly been significantly cut back in terms of theming. It has been stated that SW:GE has not, and will not be cut. My own opinion is that I expect this to rival or exceed the Shanghai Pirates ride. Screens with lots of AAs based upon Star Wars? Spectacular is what I expect from this attraction.

Last edited:
I agree with you on this one. Consider: Scott Trowbridge was in UNI for WWoHP. That ride, although praised for the infamous kuka arm, was also chastised for UNI’s penchant for too many screens Now he’s designing the mega E ticket for SW:GE with some lessons learned. I would venture to bet he will be giving us more than screens.

The one very trusted insider on the wdwmagic boards has stated that Trowbridge and Disney are throwing everything at this ride, including the Imagineers’ kitchen sink. Also, TSL’s budget has clearly been significantly cut back in terms of theming. It has been stated that SW:GE has not, and will not be cut. My own opinion is that I expect this to rival or exceed the Shanghai Pirates ride. Screens with lots of AAs based upon Star Wars? Spectacular is what I expect from this attraction.

The battle attraction will certainly be more than just screens - there are supposed to be twice as many animatronics in it than one pirates

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter