News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have very little problem with IP - IF it's done well. For instance, Mission Breakout in DCA is fantastic and done well (I know people can't get over losing ToT, though).

But if they're going to just slap an Incredibles logo on the side of a roller coaster, that doesn't do it for me.

I think everything will eventually be IP - one way or the other. They'll probably make a Mystic Manor movie at some point - like they did for Pirates...

I agree with this. Though I don't particularly mind the Incredicoaster. It's basically going from a coaster with no theme to some theme, and ultimately doesn't take away from the ability to enjoy it for what it is. It just adds elements to it. Mission Breakout on the other hand completely changes the ride, and people (on the west coast anyway) can no longer experience ToT. Disneyland has space issues though so I'll give them a pass since the ride is obviously very well received. It's not quite the same as Frozen, where Disney had to close a (admittedly way less popular) ride, to build a ride in a park with tons of empty and closed spaces. But largely, I am fine with IP even in Epcot.

My problem is not with IP, but with the lack of non-IP based rides. It drastically limits the possibilities and creativity of imaginers, or forces them to build things that don't quite work. I want to see the next Haunted Mansion or Pirates. Or Everest or Space.

My problem is not with IP, but with the lack of non-IP based rides. It drastically limits the possibilities and creativity of imaginers, or forces them to build things that don't quite work. I want to see the next Haunted Mansion or Pirates. Or Everest or Space.
Do you think we will see an original (non-IP) attraction ever again?

I would agree with that. I think with the right management we could but currently I don't see it happening with the management in place.
Everything goes in cycles. WDW has been there almost 50 years. It's going to be there for the next 50 (unless Florida sinks under the sea or gets hit by a nuclear weapon). In those 50 years a lot of changes will happen. I think the odds on a ride opening with no IP attached would get pretty high odds of happening over that kind of timeframe.

Thought I'd share this and see what everyone's thoughts are...

Disney's IP Movement

I know not exactly news or rumors but there isn't really any where else to discuss this.

I don't mind the IP...it's probably more related to what the general/most guests (e.g. those that don't frequent Disboards) want. Some of the IP are new so that even if it is IP, it's fresh (e.g. Coco, Moana). Though I do feel like there is an overall movement in entertainment to re-do or expand upon things that have already been done as opposed to creating something completely new (e.g. all the sequels, the live-action Disney movies, Star Wars, Marvel, etc.).

Everything goes in cycles. WDW has been there almost 50 years. It's going to be there for the next 50 (unless Florida sinks under the sea or gets hit by a nuclear weapon). In those 50 years a lot of changes will happen. I think the odds on a ride opening with no IP attached would get pretty high odds of happening over that kind of timeframe.
In the case of WDW we are 12 years from the last major non-IP added attraction (Everest 2006). With Disney now buying Fox I am not sure we see another non-IP within at least the next decade. 50 years from now of course things could certainly be different.

I don't mind the IP...it's probably more related to what the general/most guests (e.g. those that don't frequent Disboards) want. Some of the IP are new so that even if it is IP, it's fresh (e.g. Coco, Moana). Though I do feel like there is an overall movement in entertainment to re-do or expand upon things that have already been done as opposed to creating something completely new (e.g. all the sequels, the live-action Disney movies, Star Wars, Marvel, etc.).
As I mentioned in my article I don't mind IP either I just feel it needs to fit into where its placed. Pandora does that and does it well. Guardians is more of a stretch though. Part of the issue I think is not just whats fresh but selling the merchandise.

I don't mind the IP...it's probably more related to what the general/most guests (e.g. those that don't frequent Disboards) want.

Yep exact. Creating a successful IP is quite an accomplishment to begin with, moving it to an attraction is what the public wants.

Buying a successful IP (Star Wars and HP) is likely with attractions in mind, and again what the public wants.

If all the attractions and lands that just opened and are being developed were NOT IP related-I for one would not be nearly as excited.

I mean is anybody sitting at home excitingly waiting for the next "Non IP" based attraction?

Yep exact. Creating a successful IP is quite an accomplishment to begin with, moving it to an attraction is what the public wants.

Buying a successful IP (Star Wars and HP) is likely with attractions in mind, and again what the public wants.

If all the attractions and lands that just opened and are being developed were NOT IP related-I for one would not be nearly as excited.
Epcot survived just fine without being IP driven. It hit peak attendance numbers before IP was ever added to that park. It still hasn't gotten back to those numbers and thats with IP. I don't think you need IP in order to get excited about something.

Well we don't know all of the items and they still have a steak so not exactly frufru.

I like that more and more restaurants are offering different items on the menu. We are all adventurous eaters, including my 4 year old son, and I like when the childrens menu has something to offer outside of the boring cheeseburger, chicken fingers, or pizza options.

I agree, but I don't think the IP relation will detract from something either, most likely enhance it.
Not necessarily. An attraction with a good story and ride technology is just as if not more affective than one with IP.

Not necessarily. An attraction with a good story and ride technology is just as if not more affective than one with IP.

Oh I think it could happen, it's just now they have so many "good stories" they have already created/purchased to draw from.

Ride tech is irrelevant in the comparison.

I mean, there is hope for an ip attraction. Miss Adventure Falls opened last year at Typhoon Lagoon and featured an original backstory and an anamatronic not based on a pre-existing character. Maybe the rise of S.E.A might allow for an original attraction in the US/Paris parks?

I don't agree with that. Ride technology is part of the story. Tower of Terror wouldn't work as a spinner.

Missed the point. Ride tech of a given project would be the same, then decide if the "good story" is going to be IP or not.

I think IP is a huge factor for guests. Just watch the threads here on the DIS every time a new movie is released and people wanting to know if they can meet this or that character from the movie in the parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter