News Round Up 2020

Not unexpected though. At least it was still years away. My mind was excited for it and yet expectations tempered at the same time.
Announcing NOW (with it being so many years out) makes it sound like they may shelve that project indefinitely until the tourist industry is back to the levels it was before. A new park probably won't be needed if they may struggle to fill their current parks. :(. Heck, they may go back to the drawing board to design a more "social distancing-friendly" park?

The theme parks in Florida may not need the extra capacity for a long time and we may see the "dark times" of the mid 2000s where the parks stagnated (with few new attractions or lands) as the tourist industry was hit from 9/11. This tourist hit COULD be worse than that. 9/11 really only affected air travel. This affects ANY large gathering of people (which is what tourism is all about).

It wasn't until when? Expedition Everest in 2006 and The Wizarding World opened up in 2010 that we've seen the recent renaissance of the theme parks. I feel that renaissance will come to an abrupt halt once all the existing projects are eventually done. Luckily some of the newest WDW and Universal attractions were so far along, that we should at least get some new stuff the next year or two.

Announcing NOW (with it being so many years out) makes it sound like they may shelve that project indefinitely until the tourist industry is back to the levels it was before. A new park probably won't be needed if they may struggle to fill their current parks. :(. Heck, they may go back to the drawing board to design a more "social distancing-friendly" park?

The theme parks in Florida may not need the extra capacity for a long time and we may see the "dark times" of the mid 2000s where the parks stagnated (with few new attractions or lands) as the tourist industry was hit from 9/11. This tourist hit COULD be worse than that. 9/11 really only affected air travel. This affects ANY large gathering of people (which is what tourism is all about).

It wasn't until when? Expedition Everest in 2006 and The Wizarding World opened up in 2010 that we've seen the recent renaissance of the theme parks. I feel that renaissance will come to an abrupt halt once all the existing projects are eventually done. Luckily some of the newest WDW and Universal attractions were so far along, that we should at least get some new stuff the next year or two.
I believe they've already started construction though bare bones so far. I wouldn't think they would just give up. I think they are in a better position than Disney in this respects but that's purely my opinion. What better way to give people more ease in terms of space than giving them more space :) A new theme park spreads out the crowds even more and if you're looking to drawl people in concerned about that waiting many more years later to get to that may not be the course you want to take. I don't know how long our collective thoughts are on crowded places; could be years and years worth of uneasiness or it could be more of a temporary concern (as in not years and years).

Financially I feel if they didn't feel confident at all they wouldn't have maintained the construction process when Disney opted to halt construction. Again purely my opinion.

Now def. what I could see is scaled back projects at the onset or opting to do what you described as social-distancing friendly park at least in the beginning. Maybe they work on this project within the park and instead of working on one that would be right next to it they move to something a bit further away. Maybe the pathways will be larger than originally intended to get more berth. If Universal announces they are abandoning the project entirely to be revisited years later I see that as great cause for concern in the overall health of the parks division. It's possible of course that they do announce that and it would be a sad day for sure :(

While I hope it is a more short term delay and not precursor to a cancellation there is at least possibilities that areas like Fantastic Beasts and Super Nintendo Land would be reworked into the existing parks (Fear Factor area and Kidzone respectfully) like rumors and speculation had them before Epic Universe was announced.
It appears to be a construction delay, as they have had to slow down what they’ve been working on.

News

Funtown Splashdown USA will not open this season due to the virus. The owner has stated that if the virus winds up effecting next season, it’ll likely never reopen.

https://www.newscentermaine.com/art...demic/97-a745e832-3c09-4785-a2d5-0d996e301181
I believe this is the second US park to announce being definitively closed for the year.

Oh man. I grew up in Maine so this bums me out! I sang the theme song from their commercials in my head when I read the headline.

But 4 masks for $19.99 is a much better price than I've seen anywhere else!! Having tried my hand at making face masks, they are fiddly to make and hard to get to fit well.

If they're still offering these when we go and if i feel better wearing a mask, I'll be ordering some to be shipped to our resort for sure! international shipping and Disney = EXPENSIVE!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter