News Round Up 2020

Yeah, I'm glad you brought this up. That is exactly what I was thinking yet there is so much talk about people not wanting to go back to work, or getting more money for sitting at home. So I'm pretty sure this is true for furloughed employees, but what about those who were just plain laid off? IF their old boss calls them back offering them a job? I mean obviously they don't have to go back but if they were totally honest I think they wouldn't be eligible at that point for further benefits?

The majority of the people in this crisis are laid off - ie businesses pretty much cut their staff (off the books) so there really wouldn't be a call back. I forgot WDW furloughed their employees, which is a nice gesture as they probably still receive some benefits like continuing health insurance coverage.

Part of unemployment is providing documentation that you are actively looking for a job (with an exception, I think, furloughed employees due to the nature of being furloughed), so at some time when the small business owner asks if they would like to come back, that could put their UE benefit in jeopardy if they refuse. But with the volume of people on UE, that seems unlikely for the next 6-12 months.

If I can figure out how to stop buffering (was a huge issue on my Roku and Samsung TV I would definitely do movies like this from now on. My wife and I like to watch movies with subtitles. My kids do better when we can pause and they can go to the bathroom.
We were going to stream the new Trolls movie, a movie that is perfect to watch at home no need to see it at a theater, but at $20? Don't think so.

We were going to stream the new Trolls movie, a movie that is perfect to watch at home no need to see it at a theater, but at $20? Don't think so.
Even at our "cheap" theater with the early showing price for my family of 5 is $40 just so get a seat...then on top of that I have to pay $10 for popcorn and another $12 for pop... So $62 minimum at the theater vs paying maybe $25 at home with the convenience of subtitles, 4k image and pausing.

On top of that we had access to the film for 48hr so my kids watched it 4 times. I love the idea of being able to watch a movie that I would pay to see a second time in the theater anyways (Marvel or Star Wars)

Again my only issue with the experience was the buffering at 4k on my Roku and Samsung TV. We ended up streaming it on my laptop with an HDMI hook up and it was fine but definitely not in 4K.

If you compare it to renting it or buying it digitally, $20 seems overprice, but compared to going to the theater (which you can't do) .. It's a steal for a family of more than 2. I wasn't thrilled about it, but we are spending so less money now on other frivolous things that $20 on a home movie night didn't feel bad at all. The kids loved the movie and I found it a great way to introduce your kids to a wide variety of music types.

Plus, if you have small kids that love the movie, you can watch it as many times as you want in 48 hours. We also "lent" our Amazon Prime account to my sister-in-law to get a bit more value from it.

If it wasn't for a subscription to Amazon Music Unlimited, I'd probably have purchased the soundtrack too. :)

I really think it is the future for new releases.

No. This has always been a red line for theaters. If you don't respect the release schedule, they won't play your movies in their theaters. It's the only leverage theaters have. So when studios say they are going to use direct to streaming more, and cut out theaters, they have no choice but to threaten to retaliate. And the threat can't just be against the small movies, it has to be against the blockbusters where both studios and theaters hope to make their money. So it may seem like cutting off your nose to spite your face, but really it's cutting off your nose because only in having a whole face do you have any value to your partner at all.

The theaters aren't allowed to own productions companies, and production companies aren't allowed to own theaters. Unfortunately the logic behind those laws is based on 1940s and 50s distribution channels. Now that production companies have so many other outlets, many they even own, movie theaters are constantly with their backs to the wall. It's why Disney can demand more and more of ticket revenue from their blockbusters.

This is a very messy time for theaters. I suspect we will see more than AMC going through bankruptcy.
You maybe right we could this with the death of malls causing major movie theater chains to start to fall like the old Mom and Pop Drive ins. Especially as home entertainment hardware can make the "home theater" experience as technologically enjoyable as the ones you get at the brick and mortars for a lower cost. Im sure some will survive but what percentage is going to be the real question. Could see that in 20 years only 10 percent of our current movie theaters are still open.. Sure why not.

I wonder if this could change drastically in the future and there are venues available that are owned by the studios to release their tent pole films (as still value in seeing things like Avengers and Star Wars in big theaters/big screen/with a crowd)

Obviously big change to the model but something like that might be needed

This was inevitable and honestly I can't believe it took them so long.

P.S. the knock off Disney facemasks on TeePublic are generally much cuter and some of them are very, very funny.
Wasn’t Disney already selling these types of mask in Asia?

This was inevitable and honestly I can't believe it took them so long.

P.S. the knock off Disney facemasks on TeePublic are generally much cuter and some of them are very, very funny.
It's weird, just a couple of days ago the NHL released (I think for preorder as well) a bunch of packs of face masks. I had been wondering the same thing about how it was taking long for bigger brands to get on top of this but looks like it's finally happening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter