Nikon D80

Good point about applying the savings to lenses Jen.

As for the command dial, I would like to have that on the D50. I've been using manual a bit more recently, however with the D50 you don't use the menu. In manual to change the shutter you use the 1 command dial and to change the aperture you have to press the EC button while turning the command dial. Somewhat of a pain but do able with one hand. There is a button to press (in conjuction with the command dial) next to the LCD screen to adjust ISO and change White Balance without using the menu.

handicap18 said:
Good point about applying the savings to lenses Jen.

As for the command dial, I would like to have that on the D50. I've been using manual a bit more recently, however with the D50 you don't use the menu. In manual to change the shutter you use the 1 command dial and to change the aperture you have to press the EC button while turning the command dial. Somewhat of a pain but do able with one hand. There is a button to press (in conjuction with the command dial) next to the LCD screen to adjust ISO and change White Balance without using the menu.

I wondered if there might be some shortcuts, but it was pretty dark on the beach when I was playing with my friend's camera and trying to set the aperture, so we didn't check the manual.

On the D70, you can switch the aperture and shutter controls. In other words, the main command dial usually controls shutter speed, and the sub-command dial controls aperture, but I switched them because I tend to shoot more in aperture priority than in shutter or manual, and I think it's easier to access the main dial. Do you know if you can switch the controls on the D50?

lovingmy2boys said:
Any info on the D40 that just came out???

Several reviews are out. Do a google search for "d40 review". I have not looked at this one seriously, but there are a few very significant characteristics:

*No in-body focus motor, which means it will autofocus ONLY with lenses that have the motor in the lens.
*Smaller size; may be a plus or a minus, depending on your hand sizes
*No top status LCD

I'm sure there are other noteworthy items, as well; read a review or two to see if the 40 matches your needs.

~YEKCIM

I think the general consensus is that the D50 is preferable to the D40, despite the smaller LCD. You can probably get a D50 for cheaper at this point, too (I'll skip my usual Beach price check this time :) ).

The fact that Nikon advertises the D40's kit lens at a "3x zoom" pretty much says it all about who they're targeting with it. ;)

Can't go wrong with it :)

Hope you enjoy the camera, I know I do. Now I just wish the replacement for the D200 will come out next year sometime, and I will be upgrading :)

fitzperry said:
I wondered if there might be some shortcuts, but it was pretty dark on the beach when I was playing with my friend's camera and trying to set the aperture, so we didn't check the manual.

On the D70, you can switch the aperture and shutter controls. In other words, the main command dial usually controls shutter speed, and the sub-command dial controls aperture, but I switched them because I tend to shoot more in aperture priority than in shutter or manual, and I think it's easier to access the main dial. Do you know if you can switch the controls on the D50?

When you are in shutter priority mode the command dial operates the shutter choices. When you are in aperture priority the command dial will operate the aperture choices. Its only when in manual that you have to press the Exposure Compensation button while using the command dial to change aperture as just using the command dial in manual will change the shutter.

handicap18 said:
When you are in shutter priority mode the command dial operates the shutter choices. When you are in aperture priority the command dial will operate the aperture choices. Its only when in manual that you have to press the Exposure Compensation button while using the command dial to change aperture as just using the command dial in manual will change the shutter.

Kyle,

Good info; I had been wondering that myself. Does not seem that one dial would be too much of an inconvenience unless shooting manual, which I rarely do. Still playing with the gear "mix", after learning recently that I'll have a good bit more cash to play with after 1/1/07. Contemplating *two* D50 bodies or one D80 plus 17-70 Siggy, 28-200 Nikkor (G), a 10-20 Siggy, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Thanks for the mini-tutorial!

~Ed

YEKCIM said:
Contemplating *two* D50 bodies or one D80 plus 17-70 Siggy, 28-200 Nikkor (G), a 10-20 Siggy, and a partridge in a pear tree.
From zero to two DSLRs in one fell swoop? :)

I'd go for the D80 were I making that choice. Of course, I'm one of those people who can never set up mirrored hard drives on my computer as I'd rather have the extra space.

At the very least, I'd lean towards a single D50 and the lenses that you KNOW you need, and once you have the camera in hand, you'll be able to make a more informed choice about what you then need most - whether it be a specific lens or two, or a tripod, or a filter, or bag, or whatever - trust me, it's easy to find SOME way to spend the leftover money on photo equipment. ;)

Groucho said:
From zero to two DSLRs in one fell swoop? :)

I'd go for the D80 were I making that choice. Of course, I'm one of those people who can never set up mirrored hard drives on my computer as I'd rather have the extra space.

At the very least, I'd lean towards a single D50 and the lenses that you KNOW you need, and once you have the camera in hand, you'll be able to make a more informed choice about what you then need most - whether it be a specific lens or two, or a tripod, or a filter, or bag, or whatever - trust me, it's easy to find SOME way to spend the leftover money on photo equipment. ;)

Grouch:

Valid points, all. I'm coming from the capable-for-what-it-is Fuji S5200, but before that, I used Minolta Maxxum gear, and typically used two bodies, with different lenses on each body. Easier and faster, by far, to switch cameras than to dismount one lens, pack it away, and mount another. Since one can buy two D50's for, currently, exactly the cost of one D80, I have been toying with that idea. I'd love the 80's 230K 2.5" LCD, pentaprism (not pentamirror), vf grid and a couple other small items, but don't see enough difference in IQ between the two to justify 2X the cost of a D50. D50 out-of-cam images look great to me, and I hate PP, so that is a plus. Still weighing options and may end up with an 80; we'll see. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

~Ed

handicap18 said:

That's interesting. On the D70, in aperture priority, you still use the sub-command dial to adjust aperture, which I think is a bit of a pain--hence the switch.

YEKCIM said:
Grouch:

Valid points, all. I'm coming from the capable-for-what-it-is Fuji S5200, but before that, I used Minolta Maxxum gear, and typically used two bodies, with different lenses on each body. Easier and faster, by far, to switch cameras than to dismount one lens, pack it away, and mount another.
Ahh, I see where you're coming from. That makes a bit more sense.

If you do end up going this way, you may want to consider an Op/Tech Reporter strap, which holds two cameras safely so they're not banging into each other all the time. It looks like a really good solution to the problem of carrying two bodies safely.

Groucho said:
Ahh, I see where you're coming from. That makes a bit more sense.

If you do end up going this way, you may want to consider an Op/Tech Reporter strap, which holds two cameras safely so they're not banging into each other all the time. It looks like a really good solution to the problem of carrying two bodies safely.

I usually wear my photojournalist vest, whcih has snap-closure epaulets on both shoulders, and that usually takes care of securing them. BTW, I have used the vest on each of the past four (03, 04, 05, and 06) visits to Mickey's World and find it to be the absolute best way to carry all my "stuff".

Here is the one I use (sans WDW paraphernalia):

DSCF0638.jpg

Love it!

~Ed

I remember seeing your vest before but I was curious - how does the monopod stay in? It looks like it'd fall out any time you leaned forward.

I did a lot of thinking a few days ago puzzling over the best way to carry the monopod and/or tripod hands-free. I eventually used my camera bag's original strap on the top of the center column and one leg to make a shoulder strap, and for the monopod, I'm thinking a cheap carabiner (like the keychain ones that look like climbing tools) can snap around my belt and the monopod's wrist strap, and allow for quick access and keep it pretty much out of the way. The tripod could also be carried the same way via the strap - I even tried loosening my belt slightly and sticking one of the tripod legs in there, like a scabbard. My wife was thoroughly embarrassed but I tell you, it worked surprisingly well and was surprisingly not uncomfortable.

Ah, the lengths we'll go to to carry our gear. :rotfl:

Groucho said:
I remember seeing your vest before but I was curious - how does the monopod stay in? It looks like it'd fall out any time you leaned forward.

If you look closely at the top of the 'pod in the photo above, you will see that it has a split ring (like keychain ring) and that the vest's lanyard/clip is clipped to the split ring. The base of the pod is, in turn, just inserted into the open pocket at the bottom of the vest.

FWIW, I did not find the monopod all that useful in still photography, but it was a *lifesaver* with the camcorder. Most all of my filming was done of long events (B&B show at MGM, MK parade, Illuminations, etc) and it made videography much less taxing and the results much steadier. The pod I use, I got from buy.com for about fifteen bucks.

~Ed

Santa brought me the D80 for Christmas :-)cool1: ) but I'm stumped by one thing...sometimes when I take the shot, I'm getting it displayed sideways on the LCD monitor even when I'm taking a horizontal shot. For now, I turned off the vertical/horizontal feature, but I'm sure there is something I'm doing wrong or have set wrong. Can anyone point me in the right direction?? I'm not seeing it in the manual...but directions to me might as well be written in Latin. ;)

Santa brought me the D80 for Christmas :-)cool1: ) but I'm stumped by one thing...sometimes when I take the shot, I'm getting it displayed sideways on the LCD monitor even when I'm taking a horizontal shot. For now, I turned off the vertical/horizontal feature, but I'm sure there is something I'm doing wrong or have set wrong. Can anyone point me in the right direction?? I'm not seeing it in the manual...but directions to me might as well be written in Latin. ;)

That seems odd....

I have the D200, I'm going to assume the menus are "similar". On the "Setup" menu (wrench symbol), go to Auto Image Rotation and select > ON.

The D200 also has a setting in the display settings (arrow symbol) for "Rotate Tall" that shows the vertical shots in the horiz position. You might see if that is on, or stuck.

You might want to post the question in the Nikonians D80 Group Forum for some help. You will probably have to register first, but it's free for a basic membership and they have some great info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter