Nikon D80

handicap18

<font color=blue>Husband, father of 3, and Disney
http://nikonimaging.com/global/index.htm

19 more days (august 9th?) and Nikon is releasing a new dSLR. 10.2 megapixels. The D200 has 10.2 MP, but thats still pretty new. The D70s is 6.1MP and has been around for while (almost 2 years) so maybe this is the next step. More powerful than the D70s but not quite all the bells and whistles as the D200. It does mention affordablilty in the ad. Maybe $1299 vs the D200 $1600 and D70s $999??

Possibly very similar to Canon's 30D but with 10.2mp instead of 8mp.

I guess will know in 2 1/2 weeks.

handicap18 said:
More powerful than the D70s but not quite all the bells and whistles as the D200. It does mention affordablilty in the ad. Maybe $1299 vs the D200 $1600 and D70s $999??

Possibly very similar to Canon's 30D but with 10.2mp instead of 8mp.

Nikon tends to produce TWEENERS and rarely straight competitors to Canon models, it has worked very well for them.

Take the D70, it was actually priced closer to the 20D than to the REBEL. But it was actually trying to compete with both lines.

YEKCIM said:
Think Nikon might be hearing some Sony Alpha footsteps???

~YEKCIM

Maybe...

But I think they would rather aim at the #1 DSLR brand in the world, instead of a company that hasnt sold a single DSLR yet.

Things that caught my attention.

10.2mp(very similar to that in D200 and the new Sony)
larger and brighter viewfinder
Uses SD cards
built-in wireless flash controller
increased burst capcity over D70s(95% jpeg, 25% raw).
2.5 inch LCD
RGB histogram(I LIKE)
Selectable maximum ISO(for auto modes)
Now uses same battery as D200
detailed battery status in LCD(%, shots taken and 5 level icon)
Vertical grip will be available
configurable high ISO NR(makes me curious)
New image processor(based but no exactly like D200)

Time to Ebay my D70 and move on up! The two things I didn't like about the D70 is the tiny LCD rear screen and the smaller than my 6006 viewfinder.

Other than that, I like the camera.

Some guys over at DPREVIEW are already saying they won't buy a D80 because stupid Nikon put an SD slot in it.

They're a tough crowd to please. Crybabies...

By putting SD (and not SDHC) they limit themselves to 2 Gb card. Also pros are using CF cards. If a start anew then it's fine, but say for a photographer like me with more than 10 Gb of CF cards... what should I do? chuck all of them away and re-buy 2 Gb SD cards?

I like everything I read about the camera except for the SD card. At least use SDHC so you can use greater-than-2GB SD cards.

I read that the D80 supports SDHC up to 32gb, which are not out yet, but the 4gb got released a couple of weeks ago.

This is really looking good for my situation. The reviews are good so far. I really like the larger screen, SD is fine for me. popcorn::
Wonder how hard it's going to be to actually obtain one? I'd love to have it by my Oct. trip. :banana:

Furgus said:
I read that the D80 supports SDHC up to 32gb, which are not out yet, but the 4gb got released a couple of weeks ago.

It's listed in the PDF of the D80 specs on Nikon USA's website. It's listed under the cards that are supported and it supports the 4GB card. (and also mentions SDHC support)

Kelly Grannell said:
By putting SD (and not SDHC) they limit themselves to 2 Gb card.

But honestley of all my CF cards, they are all either 1GB or 2GB. I don't buy anything larger. The only reason I would is if the camera megapixal capture was 16MB or greater.

Well the D200 and the Sony have less than great high Iso noise levels.
Also Canon has stated that anything more than 8.2 MP on a 1.6x crop sensor would increase noise levels above current models levels.

While I am not as emphatic about high ISO noise as are others, like the ones that label a camera ignoring other great features and specs based on that SINGLE issue.

But IMO it seems to be the only possible issue I would be concerned about(at this point). But noise levels would have to be really bad for me to ignore all the other positives this camera seems to offer.

Kelly Grannell said:
By putting SD (and not SDHC) they limit themselves to 2 Gb card. Also pros are using CF cards. If a start anew then it's fine, but say for a photographer like me with more than 10 Gb of CF cards... what should I do? chuck all of them away and re-buy 2 Gb SD cards?

I like everything I read about the camera except for the SD card. At least use SDHC so you can use greater-than-2GB SD cards.

I have about 25 laser disks and a laser disk player. They were much better than VHS and Beta. Still, I moved on to DVD. Oh how about all those cassette tapes and albums that are collecting dust along with the cassette decks and record players. How much money did you invest in those items before moving on to CD's. Show me the professional DJ thats been in the business for 20+ years that is still using records. Heck, I bet there are a lot today that don't even use CD's. They just download directly to their computer and play from there.

Remember the 5 1/2" floppy disk (the ones that were actually "floppy"). Yep replaced by the smaller 3 1/2" floppy. If I'm not mistaken, new computers today don't even come standard with a floppy drive.

How hard is it now to get B&W film developed. Sure you can buy the film, but there aren't to many places that will actually develope it.

My point is. Times change. Equipment changes. You change with it or be stuck in the past.

Apparently Nikon has figured that the future is with SD? You can make more camera with SD than with CF.

Life happens.

Point taken, I still have about 300 LD in my collection and 2 LD players. But those are playback media. That doesn't count.

However, with the max capacity of CF of (currently) 8 Gb (or was it 12 Gb?) and the price of CF to be cheaper than SD (and far cheaper than SDHC), also for pros need of changing cards quickly, SD is (to me) not the answer.

The smaller cards makes it more difficult to change the cards quickly (I tried with XD cards during my Olympus days), easier to get lost, and although honestly I never tried it with SD cards, I've accidentally machine washed a CF card full of pictures, put it in my dryer, and took the card out in horror but all the pictures etc are intact!

As for the camera itself. Initially it looks like it will be great. basically a D200 in a D50 body. The real test will come once people actually review images taken with it. Will it be like the D50 and have better noise at higher ISO than the D70/D70s, same sensor but upgraded at the higher ISO's for better quality. I guess the D50 is the benchmark in the Nikon line for that. If that is the case this will be a supurb camera. Biggest issues I've seen in a few quick initial reviews are slower flash sync and still only 3 FPS. I'm eager to see images and what the reviews will be. I wont be upgrading from my D50 in the near future, but who knows what will happen in a few years.

The 2 new lenes will be nice too. AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED and AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED . I like the idea of the 18-135mm, especially after seeing reviews of the Sigma and Tamron's 18-200mm and the issues they have. Since the Sigma 18-125mm gets great reviews by those here I would imagine that the Nikkor 18-135 would be ideal for Nikon users. These 2 lenses alone could be the perfect 2 lens combo for Disney. But again we'll see what actual user reviews will be. If the 18-135mm is anything like the 18-70mm, I will definately upgrade. Price will also be a factor though.

Other thing I read. 3 month wait for actual release of the D80. haven't heard about the lenses yet though.

Edited to add:
I take that back. 18-135mm scheduled for world wide release in Sept '06 and 70-300mm scheduled for October '06 release.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter