• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

*No longer relevant* (Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy)

This is a no brainer for me - she needs to get it. or you could gift it to her (as others have suggested) if she's too frugal.

Yeah, I totally agree with all of you, and gifting her the $15 was my first thought, but she declined the offer. Here’s why: we have multiple trips planned together this year, so she feels that if she were going to spring for the MaxPass at all, she’d want to pay $100 for the year rather than $15/day because paying by the day isn’t cost-effective. She and her husband primarily do rides with the kids that don’t require fastpass, and they do rider swap and single rider for the rest. For them, it doesn’t feel worth it to pay $100 extra, so I’m just going to let it go. Since we see each other a lot in general and will be doing multiple trips throughout the year, splitting up sometimes due to differences in FastPass return times isn’t that big a deal, I guess. Thanks, All!

I will suggest the same thing that my Wife always says when going on a trip with family. Your and her family doesn't always need to stick together. This is especially true if you and your families are going to go multiple times throughout the year together where it's sometimes best to be apart so that you guys can do your own thing.

For rides that do not require a FastPass, plan accordingly to go on those rides with them. For rides that you can use the MaxPass, then go separately and meet up later. I always plan everything around what FastPass I can get my hands on ( cuz my Wife hates waiting in super long lines ). If you can meet up for some of the rides with your friend, then do it. If not, then don't.

There's no point for you to get MaxPass if you can't properly use it.

I think I know what my plan is for this but thought I'd see if anyone else has opinions and make sure there isn't anything I haven't thought of yet.

We'll be at DL/DCA for March 15-19. We are definitely getting Maxpass for our 3 full days which if I understand right, we can get on a day by day basis once we go through the gates each day. On our arrival day, I estimate we'll be ready to head into the parks around 5 or 6pm and on our last day, we're going to do our Magic Morning and leave between 11 and noon.

With those plans, is there any benefit to just going ahead and getting maxpass with our tickets when we purchase online? Or are we wasting the 2 days worth of maxpass for our arrival and departure days? There are two of us going so the cost isn't insignificant, but also doesn't break the bank if it makes sense to do.

I think I know what my plan is for this but thought I'd see if anyone else has opinions and make sure there isn't anything I haven't thought of yet.

We'll be at DL/DCA for March 15-19. We are definitely getting Maxpass for our 3 full days which if I understand right, we can get on a day by day basis once we go through the gates each day. On our arrival day, I estimate we'll be ready to head into the parks around 5 or 6pm and on our last day, we're going to do our Magic Morning and leave between 11 and noon.

With those plans, is there any benefit to just going ahead and getting maxpass with our tickets when we purchase online? Or are we wasting the 2 days worth of maxpass for our arrival and departure days? There are two of us going so the cost isn't insignificant, but also doesn't break the bank if it makes sense to do.
I’d buy day-by-day.

There can definitely be Maxpass benefits on partial days, but if you ALSO have three full days with it, you may be fine without it and save some $. Or, if you decide you want it on the partial days, you can always just add it once you’re there.

The only benefit to buying in advance would be if they raise Maxpass prices. I’d be surprised if they did that at this point, but you never know... but that’s the only reason I can think of to buy in advance.

Just back from a short trip to see the Rose Parade. Our family of 3 visited Disneyland on 12/29 and DCA on 12/31. The parks opened at 8 am both days but we arrived between 9:30 and 10 am.

I had never used MaxPass before, but had read here in advance that it was sometimes possible to get FastPasses online even after the distribution was done for the day.

What I didn’t expect was how easy this could be even on a very busy day. With just a little effort, I was able to use MaxPass to pick up just about anything multiple times throughout the day and evening.

For example, we rode Radiator Springs 4 times on New Years Eve and hit Space Mtn 5 times in the 29th. The only rides that were really hard to get were Toy Story and Indiana Jones.

So even if Fast Pass distribution is done for the day, just be patient and keep trying on MaxPass. Those hard to get attractions do pop up from time to time.

Thats awesome! I have loved max-pass ever since they released it. It's also why I love DLR vacations so much. No need to book and stress about fast pass's so far out. Everyone gets them day of.

Thats awesome! I have loved max-pass ever since they released it. It's also why I love DLR vacations so much. No need to book and stress about fast pass's so far out. Everyone gets them day of.

Yes, it worked out better than expected. We’re not morning people and are never going to arrive at a park close to opening time. I’m just glad that an early arrival wasn’t really required.

I wholeheartedly agree. It isn't uncommon on a busy evening to pull a fast pass for something, scan in, get into the fast pass queue, and then start "rolling" and pull a fast pass for another attraction before getting on the first. I have always had trouble pulling RSR, though - I've actually had better luck with MM!

I guess it's all the luck of the draw. But if you are flexible a good time can be had even on the busiest of evenings.

Yeah, I totally agree with all of you, and gifting her the $15 was my first thought, but she declined the offer. Here’s why: we have multiple trips planned together this year, so she feels that if she were going to spring for the MaxPass at all, she’d want to pay $100 for the year rather than $15/day because paying by the day isn’t cost-effective. She and her husband primarily do rides with the kids that don’t require fastpass, and they do rider swap and single rider for the rest. For them, it doesn’t feel worth it to pay $100 extra, so I’m just going to let it go. Since we see each other a lot in general and will be doing multiple trips throughout the year, splitting up sometimes due to differences in FastPass return times isn’t that big a deal, I guess. Thanks, All!
Too bad they didn’t elect to put MP on her ticket instead of your brother in law’s ticket! For this trip, it sounds like you have a good plan. For the other later trips, if it is just the two of you and no kids, being a FP runner is a lot easier!

I wholeheartedly agree. It isn't uncommon on a busy evening to pull a fast pass for something, scan in, get into the fast pass queue, and then start "rolling" and pull a fast pass for another attraction before getting on the first. I have always had trouble pulling RSR, though - I've actually had better luck with MM!

I guess it's all the luck of the draw. But if you are flexible a good time can be had even on the busiest of evenings.

That’s funny about Toy Story. That’s the one that I just couldn’t get so we gave up a just got in line. Posted wait was 80 minutes but the actual wait was only about 35. I kept checking while in line and Toy Story magically appeared right after we got our 3D glasses. The return time was within 5 minutes so we got off then right back on, but we only got to ride that one twice.

The 35 minute wait was the longest we had over both days.

I’ve never used Maxpass on an insanely busy day but I’ve definitely had luck like this too! There was one day last August where I got a FP for Guardians about 45 minutes ahead of time while the regular return time was about 6 hours away and then later that evening at 8:57, I got Soarin’ Fastpasses for 9! Maxpass will always be so worth it to me!

I haven't used the MAX PASS feature on the Disney App in over a year and have forgotten. I recall that the app feature to start booking Fastpasses for that day do not work until you are physically in the park. For example, you can't just be at your hotel several blocks away at 8am to start booking Fastpasses for rides that day. You have to physically be in the park at that time to be able to pick the FastPass.

Is that correct?

The reason I ask is because we are staying at the DLH and will try to take the Monorail to DL and try to get there as early as possible. I'm wondering when and where I will have the ability to start getting into the Disneyland App to start booking a FastPass ( which I know will be needed for the 2 new Star Wars rides ASAP ).

Do I have to physically be in the park for it to work?

or

Does the Downtown Disney area and/or the monorail waiting line work?

Hi guys

Just trying to get my head around the whole max pass/disney app thing.

Are these two separate things? or is the one combined thing?

Does Disney have free wifi to run this app? (trying to work out overseas cell phone and internet capabilities).

I haven't used the MAX PASS feature on the Disney App in over a year and have forgotten. I recall that the app feature to start booking Fastpasses for that day do not work until you are physically in the park. For example, you can't just be at your hotel several blocks away at 8am to start booking Fastpasses for rides that day. You have to physically be in the park at that time to be able to pick the FastPass.

Is that correct?

The reason I ask is because we are staying at the DLH and will try to take the Monorail to DL and try to get there as early as possible. I'm wondering when and where I will have the ability to start getting into the Disneyland App to start booking a FastPass ( which I know will be needed for the 2 new Star Wars rides ASAP ).

Do I have to physically be in the park for it to work?

or

Does the Downtown Disney area and/or the monorail waiting line work?
Once you scan into the park (which includes scanning in at the monorail entrance) you will be able to make FP reservations via MaxPass.

Neither of the new Star Wars rides (RotR and MF:SR) have FPs at this time.

MF:SR is standby only.

RotR will use Boarding Groups, which is like a virtual line (kind of like “take a number” and wait to be called at the deli). However, exact details have not been released yet.

Hi guys

Does Disney have free wifi to run this app? (trying to work out overseas cell phone and internet capabilities).
Yes, the DLR app and Maxpass are two separate things. You can download and use the free Disneyland app without having to purchase/use MP. We recommend that you do download the app and get used to using it before your trip so that you can have an easier time once you start your park visit. The app has park maps, attraction locations and wait times, FP availability and return times, restaurant menus, Mobile Ordering (if you have a credit card on file), etc. If you decide to purchase MP, that will give you the ability to use your smartphone to get FPs, instead of having to go to the machines to get them. There are other perks to using MP -- read through this superthread for great information! MP isn't an absolute necessity for a great day in the parks -- free FP still works fine -- but it is a very nice luxury that can really help you get the most out of your visit.

Hi guys

Disney has free wifi but it isn’t good... sometimes it works but often it doesn’t really work. I always turn off wifi once au reach the Security because it‘s not worth the stress for me...

I am from Germany so from overseas as well and I simply buy a US SIM card via amazon for the trip...(did it twice already) I found a fairly cheap one with 5gb data for a month... and that’s plenty for our vacation...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter