• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

*No longer relevant* (Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy)

So no one has ever had any experience with groups larger than 10 using maxpass? I would call Disney to ask but I wouldn’t even trust their answer.

Once you scan into the park (which includes scanning in at the monorail entrance) you will be able to make FP reservations via MaxPass.

Neither of the new Star Wars rides (RotR and MF:SR) have FPs at this time.

MF:SR is standby only.

RotR will use Boarding Groups, which is like a virtual line (kind of like “take a number” and wait to be called at the deli). However, exact details have not been released yet.
Oyyyy....that means long wait times. I'm guessing the best thing to do is to head to the Star Wars rides as early as possible in the morning and try to avoid the long lines?

How bad has the wait times been for MF:SR?

We are both fortunately and unfortunately going on the opening weekend of RotR ( mainly cuz DW always wanted to see the Lunar New Year Celebration at DL ). I'm going to guess that the crowds to wait and get into Star Wars Land is going to be huge.

Oyyyy....that means long wait times. I'm guessing the best thing to do is to head to the Star Wars rides as early as possible in the morning and try to avoid the long lines?

How bad has the wait times been for MF:SR?

We are both fortunately and unfortunately going on the opening weekend of RotR ( mainly cuz DW always wanted to see the Lunar New Year Celebration at DL ). I'm going to guess that the crowds to wait and get into Star Wars Land is going to be huge.
Waits for MF:SR have not actually been too bad, often under an hour or even under 30 minutes. Generally it seems like it has been busier first thing in the morning so the strategy here was to ride later in the day when the ride has been seeing shorter waits. Of course with RotR opening, all bets are off, especially with it also being a holiday weekend, so there’s really no telling what the best plan will be for that weekend.

For RotR you most likely will have to be in the park prior to opening time to secure a Boarding Pass. A similar system is in place at WDW, but exact details for DL have not yet been announced.

The good news is that all of the Lunar New Year festivities take place at DCA, which will probably also see a boost in attendance, but probably won’t be the focus of most of the crowd that weekend!

You can focus your MP/FP efforts on other attractions. For example, RSR will most certainly still be the first to go.

Waits for MF:SR have not actually been too bad, often under an hour or even under 30 minutes. Generally it seems like it has been busier first thing in the morning so the strategy here was to ride later in the day when the ride has been seeing shorter waits. Of course with RotR opening, all bets are off, especially with it also being a holiday weekend, so there’s really no telling what the best plan will be for that weekend.

For RotR you most likely will have to be in the park prior to opening time to secure a Boarding Pass. A similar system is in place at WDW, but exact details for DL have not yet been announced.

The good news is that all of the Lunar New Year festivities take place at DCA, which will probably also see a boost in attendance, but probably won’t be the focus of most of the crowd that weekend!

You can focus your MP/FP efforts on other attractions. For example, RSR will most certainly still be the first to go.
My plan is to go to DCA for the Lunar New Year celebration on Saturday and then go to DL for SW:GE on Sunday. thanks for the suggestion. I hope that I can wake the kids up early enough to get to rope drop on that Day.

Generally it seems like it has been busier first thing in the morning so the strategy here was to ride later in the day when the ride has been seeing shorter waits. Of course with RotR opening, all bets are off, especially with it also being a holiday weekend, so there’s really no telling what the best plan will be for that weekend.
FWIW, at Hollywood Studios, when ROTR opened the pattern for MFSR didn’t change. The lines got longer throughout the day, but the go-in-the-late-afternoon/ evening strategy for MFSR remained the optimal one. It’s at least an hour difference in wait times every day.

Last edited:
Can someone just verify I have this all understood correctly? First time at DL, I'm more familiar to the WDW process.

My husband and I are going at the end of the month. I have purchased 3 day park hoppers already but without maxpass. We would like to purchase maxpass day of for the first day we are there. I already have the DL app downloaded and have an account, I would like my husband to also set up an account because we want to try to get a ROR boarding group and if they keep the process similar to WDW it seems it couldn't hurt to have two of us trying to get a BG once they open. I feel like my most uncertainty comes from the fact my husband will have his own account for this trip.

SO...is this how to set up and go about the process.

Download app and set up account (both husband and I)

Scan both tickets into both of our DL apps and assign correct names to tickets anytime before arrival.

Day of scan into parks and then add max pass on the app already having credit card linked in the app. **One of the biggest questions I have here is can I add and pay for the maxpass for both husband and I in just my app or since he will have his own account will he have to add his own**

Then start making FP selections. In theory we should be able to make selections using either account correct? (not double selections but just his app and mine should both show the same upcoming FP information for both of us and both should be able to make new selections from either account?)

Thanks everyone. Trying to be prepared to as possible to make the most of our first day there.

Day of scan into parks and then add max pass on the app already having credit card linked in the app. **One of the biggest questions I have here is can I add and pay for the maxpass for both husband and I in just my app or since he will have his own account will he have to add his own**

Then start making FP selections. In theory we should be able to make selections using either account correct? (not double selections but just his app and mine should both show the same upcoming FP information for both of us and both should be able to make new selections from either account?)

Yes, any tickets you have scanned in to your app you can purchase maxpass for. He will not need to purchase separately. On our New Year trip, my wife had her ticket only scanned into her account, but I had everybody's scanned in to mine. I bought maxpass for everyone with the card in my account. As long as you have his ticket and yours scanned in, you should be good to go.

Yes, you should be able to make selections using either account. It's all tied to the ticket number rather than the account. Once one of you has made a selection, the other will see it in the "My Plans" tab.

Have fun!

Sorry, I didn't find it here but is there a priority list somewhere of what max passes I should try to get for a 3-day visit coming up this March to Disneyland what are the must do's with and without a 3-year-old? if its already posted mods my apologies feel free to move this post or link it to me.

Are you going to use single rider lines? Rides with really good single rider lines don’t need Fastpass.

Order of FP priority in Disneyland Park:
Space Mountain (has AMAZING single rider line)
Matterhorn (has a pretty good single rider line)
Indiana Jones (has TERRIBLE single rider line. Don’t even try it! Just get a Fastpass!)
Splash Mountain if it’s warm (Single Rider line is ok but not great when there’s a long standby line. Don’t get Fastpass for a cool time of day)
Haunted Mansion Holiday (last day this year is January 20th)
Star Tours (has a single rider line now. I’ve heard it works well but I’m not completely sure how good it is. I’ll be testing it next week)
Thunder Mountain Railroad
Buzz Lightyear
Roger Rabbit
Haunted Mansion normal
Splash Mountain when cold

California Adventure:
Radiator Springs Racers (Single Rider line is generally very fast and usually it’s less than 15 minutes in my experience)
Guardians of the Galaxy
Soarin’
Toy Story Mania
Incredicoaster (Single Rider line works well sometimes but in my experience the ride breaks down a lot and when it comes back, the standby line wait time shoots up, the Fastpasses go, and as a result, the single rider line gets a much longer wait time)
Grizzly River Run when warm (Single Rider line is really fast but a little awkward)
Goofy’s Sky School
Grizzly River Run when cold

Hope this helps!

awesome thanks! this is what I was looking for with my kid I'm not sure how single rider is. I will probably do the SW rides too I'm guessing they will be virtual que like here at Disney world?>

awesome thanks! this is what I was looking for with my kid I'm not sure how single rider is. I will probably do the SW rides too I'm guessing they will be virtual que like here at Disney world?>
I believe to do Single Rider everyone has to be 7 or older (and of course you want your child to feel comfortable)

We don’t know yet all the details about boarding groups. We know they will have them, most likely only for Rise of the Resistance. Millennium Falcon Smuggler’s Run will probably not have a virtual queue but the line could get long with ROTR opening. MFSR does have a single rider line and I’ve heard sometimes it’s good and sometimes it isn’t.

Thanks appreciate it I'm sure dis unplugged will report it when it happens. Appreciate the information

I think most of the rides that offer Fastpass have a height requirement, so it might not be the best choice if it’s just you and your three year old. Here are the rides that I can think of off the top of my head that offer Fastpass and that don’t have a height requirement:

Buzz Lightyear
Haunted Mansion
Small World
Roger Rabbit
Toy Story Midway Mania

I’m sure someone will chime in if I left something out.

I already bought it for her we can always switch (my wife and me) but it seemed worth it for the 45$ for 3 days.

I already bought it for her we can always switch (my wife and me) but it seemed worth it for the 45$ for 3 days.

How tall is your 3 year old? When my daughter was 3, her favorite ride was Space Mtn. We had to ride that one over and over again.

I’m heading to a work conference held about a mile from the parks in a couple of weeks and there is some downtime that will allow a group of us to head to DLR.... yay!! We are looking at 3 Day PH.

Debating about MaxPass. On our arrival day (Thursday 1/30) we will get to the parks around noon (flight lands at 9 at LAX, rental car to hotel on S Harbor to drop bags, and then return car to DTD rental location).

Friday (1/31) we plan on being there before Rope Drop, depending on how they handle ROTR. We can be there almost all day - we will bug back to the conference for the opening session which runs from 7:30-9pm but the park is open late so I’m guessing we will head back afterwards and skip the free food reception. Disney > Free Food. 😊

Then on Sunday (2/2) we will head back in the afternoon, probably around 3pm. This is Super Bowl Sunday.

What would you recommend for MaxPass days? We were for sure going to add to to Friday but not sure if it make sense on the partial days with us showing up in the afternoon.

Thanks for any advice you have!

Last time I was at DLR (a couple of years ago) we were not able to purchase the MP add-on with gift cards. Is this still true? Is there any way to add a GC to the app or to purchase the add-on with gift cards if we already have our park tickets?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter