*No longer relevant* (Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy)

Last time I was at DLR (a couple of years ago) we were not able to purchase the MP add-on with gift cards. Is this still true? Is there any way to add a GC to the app or to purchase the add-on with gift cards if we already have our park tickets?
there was a sale online saw it on the dis unplugged podcast I have been eyeing them a while was ~45$ less for adult and a lot less for a kid want to say 75$ gift card was an option in the cart. maybe it changed? not sure.

I have a NEWBIE question! I've never been to any of the Disneyland theme parks and I am so excited to take my family at the end of Feb this year.
My question is if we have our tickets and Maxpass on the Disney app on my phone, can my husband also have the tickets on his app? Or does he just take the older kids on the rides with the actual ticket? TIA!

Have a great trip!

Last edited:
I have a NEWBIE question! I've never been to any of the Disneyland theme parks and I am so excited to take my family at the end of Feb this year.
My question is if we have our tickets and Maxpass on the Disney app on my phone, can my husband also have the tickets on his app? Or does he just take the older kids on the rides with the actual ticket? TIA!

Yes he can have the tickets on his app too. or he can take the tickets. Once you get a MP for a ride it will be tied to that ticket. it doesn't matter if you scan on a phone or actual paper ticket.

You can scan the tickets into the app on multiple devices/in multiple accounts. The other option is to log in to the same Disneyland app account on both devices. But either way you can both have the tickets on your phones.

More details and info in this thread:
Maxpass Superthread

Yes and yes. 😁

Your husband can either 1. add the same tickets to his account or 2. use your login on his phone.

Regardless though, the barcode displayed in the app when redeeming MaxPass is just the ticket barcode so you can also just use the tickets to check-in at the FP entrance

When I went with my 3 adult friends I had them use my log on on their phones. This way we are all seeing the same thing. It also makes it easier for booking fastpasses. Plus we all know Disney tech can be glitchy so I feel like by using one log on we have a better chance of tickets/fastpasses not getting screwed up.

You should be able to use tickets to scan in for fastpasses but I've found it to be faster using the app. Some people swear by the tickets being faster to scan - I think it all depends.

Also one thing that most people forget is that Maxpass comes with photopass so be sure to stop and have your picture taken with the photographers if there isn't a line.

Have a great time!

Shouldn't be a problem. However, there are cases where only paper tickets or card-based APs work such as some FP machines that still only have a thin slot. However, you probably won't need to worry about that with MaxPass. I wasn't sure if it might not be possible to just make a copy of the bar code to be able to scan it, or if that would be any kind of violation of the terms to use it that way.

However, there are cases where only paper tickets or card-based APs work such as some FP machines that still only have a thin slot.
That’s only for getting a fastpass at a kiosk. All the scanners to get into the actual fastpass line have slots plenty wide enough to fit a phone. We used a large iPhone 11 in a case with no problem at all FP machines.

That’s only for getting a fastpass at a kiosk. All the scanners to get into the actual fastpass line have slots plenty wide enough to fit a phone. We used a large iPhone 11 in a case with no problem at all FP machines.

Yeah - but I noticed that quite a few machines weren't equipped with a wide slot for mobile phones. And I loaded the Disneyland app on an iPad Mini but that doesn't fit in those slots either. However, I think the CMs who are monitoring who is entering can use their scanner cases.

Yeah - but I noticed that quite a few machines weren't equipped with a wide slot for mobile phones.
Are you talking about the machines where you get a paper FP reminder or the scanners at the FP entrance to the actual ride. I didn’t see any FP scanners at the ride entrance that didn’t accept a phone when I was there at Christmas and I used them all except Goofy's and Soarin’

Are you talking about the machines where you get a paper FP reminder or the scanners at the FP entrance to the actual ride. I didn’t see any FP scanners at the ride entrance that didn’t accept a phone when I was there at Christmas and I used them all except Goofy's and Soarin’

I meant to get a FP. I didn't have MaxPass and had to go up to the machines. I remember the Splash Mountain machines didn't have a big enough opening for anything other than a paper ticket or plastic AP card.

But I'm still wondering about why they also the app on tablets, but they don't fit in the slot.

OK that’s different as the kiosks to get a FP reminder are primarily designed for the paper tickets, only some of the newer ones can scan a phone.
The OP is asking about using her phone to scan into the FP line, not to get a FP as they will have MaxPass so the small slots at the FP kiosks are not an issue.
Also remember you could get a FP on a laptop but you wouldn’t expect to bring that to the parks and scan into a FP line with it. The FP scanners at the line entrances are designed for paper tickets or phones, not large devices.

Last edited:
The FP scanners at the line entrances are designed for paper tickets or phones, not large devices.

Again, I didn't try it, but I had a tablet and I think they could just scan it using their case scanners if I insisted. We're not going back for a while.

I've been to other theme parks where any kind of scanning of a pass/voucher/ticket is done with either a trigger scanner (like at a self-checkout) or using a phone camera.

Again, I didn't try it, but I had a tablet and I think they could just scan it using their case scanners if I insisted. We're not going back for a while.
Yes they can and indeed they do however that takes time and slows down the line. Remember many FP lines have 4 or more scanners but only 1 or 2 CM’s
I've been to other theme parks where any kind of scanning of a pass/voucher/ticket is done with either a trigger scanner (like at a self-checkout) or using a phone camera.
I get that but again, that’s not what the OP was asking about. If the number of people with phones in the parks didn’t outnumber those with a tablet or other large device by at least 100 to 1, I’d be very surprised.

I any case, it’s really a non issue as even if you do use a tablet to obtain fastpasses through the website, you can still just scan your paper ticket to enter the FP line as the FP is attached digitally to the ticket as well no matter how you obtained the FP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter