Non Disney w/ EMH????

I am proud to say that I AM one of those people that does live her life considering the impact on others before I make a decision and I know I am not the only one...there are many people like me....capitalist society or not, I am in charge of my decisions...I choose to consider others! I have said it before and I will say it again, just because something is legal does not make it right. I love my fellow campers! :lovestruc

:
Well said.

And while we are "taking advantage" of the tricks to get the best deals - we should still keep in mind what is ethical. This is such a problem in society today, what kind of message are we sending to our kids? That "sometimes" it's okay to lie and cheat as long as we are getting a deal...:sick:

I recall a mom once telling me how they stuck their 4-1/2 year old daughter, who was very petite and looked about two, into an umbrella stroller to get her into the parks for free....

:lmao::lmao:
Funniest post ever - LIE and CHEAT?? How is it lying and cheating? There is a campsite that is available, someone books that site and pays for it.

I won't offer an opinion on the practice of booking a so-called throwaway camping reservation, as I can see both sides of the argument here. What I will say is this: this thread has got to be the ugliest one I've seen on DIS in my short time here.

I realize tempers can get out of hand and people who like to camp (FYI: my family and I are tent campers, we go every year) are passionate about their pastime. Others are just as passionate about their right to use their money as they see fit. That being said...the posts here are incredibly judgmental and borderline rude.

As someone who is relatively new to DIS, if I'd just signed up yesterday and didn't know any better, I'd think this board was an unfriendly place. Luckily, I DO know better, having seen plenty of friendly banter, acts of kindness, etc. So maybe everyone can take this thread down a few degrees and be a little more kind to one another - politely agreeing to disagree is far better than hurting a fellow DISer's feelings, no?

Anyway, that's my $.02 worth. Feel free to disagree, ignore this, point and laugh, whatever.

:

:lmao::lmao:
Funniest post ever - LIE and CHEAT?? How is it lying and cheating? There is a campsite that is available, someone books that site and pays for it.

My remark was in reference to other methods of obtaining "deals" - not the original question of the campsite (which I still don't agree with) - but never did I say it was 'lying or cheating'. I think you may have misinterpreted what I was trying to say. Or perhaps I didn't do a good job explaining my thoughts:rolleyes1

I won't offer an opinion on the practice of booking a so-called throwaway camping reservation, as I can see both sides of the argument here. What I will say is this: this thread has got to be the ugliest one I've seen on DIS in my short time here.

I realize tempers can get out of hand and people who like to camp (FYI: my family and I are tent campers, we go every year) are passionate about their pastime. Others are just as passionate about their right to use their money as they see fit. That being said...the posts here are incredibly judgmental and borderline rude.

As someone who is relatively new to DIS, if I'd just signed up yesterday and didn't know any better, I'd think this board was an unfriendly place. Luckily, I DO know better, having seen plenty of friendly banter, acts of kindness, etc. So maybe everyone can take this thread down a few degrees and be a little more kind to one another - politely agreeing to disagree is far better than hurting a fellow DISer's feelings, no?

Anyway, that's my $.02 worth. Feel free to disagree, ignore this, point and laugh, whatever.

I agree, and well said.;)

best post in this laughable thread! I really could not agree more!

I promise I HONESTLY did not mean for this thread to become so opinion filled. I had heard that there were things, wanted to verify, and that was it. We were looking for the best deal around. Please Please dont think I did this to start drama and get mad at me!!!

I promise I HONESTLY did not mean for this thread to become so opinion filled. I had heard that there were things, wanted to verify, and that was it. We were looking for the best deal around. Please Please dont think I did this to start drama and get mad at me!!!

Aww! YOU did NOT start anything! You simply asked if any non-Disney hotels participated in EMH! No one is mad at you! :hug: The person who suggested the "throwaway" campsite is the one who is being flamed.

Ethics and morals. Everyone uses them differently. If they use them at all. I've been on the boards for a little over a year ( lurked for a little while ) and for the most part everyone is great. One thing I've found is that you can get flamed when you least expect it. For something you thought was a harmless question. Dont take it personally.:) People are very passionate about they're love of Disney. No matter what side of the fence they are looking from. Have a great time when you go and dont forget the trip report for those of us who may not get to go "HOME" for a while.:worship:

Well, then I'd say you're right..you are new to the boards.
Otherwise, you would know that this ain't nothin'...compared to some threads.:laughing:
Many forums on the Dis are actually quite well known (although, admittedly I can't speak to this particular forum)...for being extremely intense in their opinions and beliefs. Stick around..:flower3:

I've been on the Dis for quite a while now..and for the most part..I post primarily in the camping forum. :wizard: Folks there are of good humor and quite easy going. We are a tight group...:grouphug: who have one another's back. We generally stay away from other forums so as to avoid the intense, nasty, jabs that, unfortunately, are fairly common in a good many threads elsewhere on the Dis. We come various walks of life. We vary in age, gender, and incomes. We camp in tents, pop ups, travel trailers, fifth wheelers, motor homes, and yes..even half million dollar motor coaches.:drive: Over the years, our virtual friendships have grown and many of us have met and camped with one another in FW. In that vain...camping in FW is something we are quite passionate about. If you camp, then you know campers are a friendly bunch. If you pass a camper..you pick your head up and say "hi"..you don't walk past them, as you might in a hotel hallway. If you drive your golf cart past a camper...you wave if someone is outside their site or cabin. :wave: Nope..you don't know them...but they're campers. They wave back. ;)
When we hear about a situation where campers are getting the shaft..pirate: we rally the troops. :mic: It's what we do. Hopefully, it's done in a manner that will enlighted those who simply didn't realize their desire to save a buck is having a detrimental effect on someone who doesn't have another option in regards to Disney accomodations. I think that has been done here. There are those who have genuinely come to realize this little "money saving tip"..has ramifications they had never even considered. :eek:
It isn't simply a matter of "supply and demand"..or the "who who cares..I paid for it" attitude. (there will always be those that will annalyze it seven ways to Sunday) :sad2: Yet, there is only one Fort Wilderness. We can't bring our RV's or tents and camp out on the front lawn of the Poly. (or can we..:laughing:)
IMO it's simple common courtesy. :thumbsup2 Those that didn't know..or didn't realize, well now you do.::yes:: If you still don't give a rats behind, well, that speaks volumes, but you're gonna do what you're gonna do. No amount of information is going to enlighten someone like that.
As campers it's frustrating to be told you can't extend your stay, as the resort is booked solid, or you can't have your inlaws join you because there isn't a site available to them :confused3..when you've been starring at an empty site all week.:headache: It really does screw a camper out of a vacation. :sad2:
Until Disney does something to address the situation, this topic will likely continue to evoke strong passionate objections from the campers who enjoy FW for the wonderful resort it is...and rightfully so.
We can only hope our efforts will enlighten those who didn't know any better, and to ask those that do, but don't care...to think again about the ramifications this money saving tip has on folks who camp.
Honestly, when you add it up..the savings is so minimal.. why screw somebody out of a vacation?..:confused3

I love camping - DH is actually the one that introduced me to it. Prior to him, I was one of those OMGbugs! kind of girls. Now, I'm still OMGbugs! but it's not as bad. :laughing:

I understand being a close-knit bunch and having each other's backs (you make great points about the camping community); I just think it's not worth hurting someone's feelings over an online discussion thread. Especially not here on these boards, where we're supposed to be sharing the pixie dust, as it were.

On the topic of camping: I'd actually have chosen the campgrounds instead of our timeshare but DH, who I swear is descended from the abominable snowman, would likely die in the heat (we don't have the portable AC unit, sadly). Maybe I can convince him to try it next year on a bounceback vacation. I think it'd be fun. :)

I love camping - DH is actually the one that introduced me to it. Prior to him, I was one of those OMGbugs! kind of girls. Now, I'm still OMGbugs! but it's not as bad. :laughing:

I understand being a close-knit bunch and having each other's backs (you make great points about the camping community); I just think it's not worth hurting someone's feelings over an online discussion thread. Especially not here on these boards, where we're supposed to be sharing the pixie dust, as it were.

On the topic of camping: I'd actually have chosen the campgrounds instead of our timeshare but DH, who I swear is descended from the abominable snowman, would likely die in the heat (we don't have the portable AC unit, sadly). Maybe I can convince him to try it next year on a bounceback vacation. I think it'd be fun. :)

I think there have been plenty of rude comments by those who aren't campers as well. Not enough pixie dust to go around I guess. :wizard: Damn...the wand isn't working again!:headache:

No bouncebacks at the campgrounds.:rolleyes: No free dining offer at the campgrounds :sad1:(even though there are times we will spend well over $100.00 a night for site). So you see... promotional discounts for the campground are very limited...thus another reason why campers are so passionate in regards to their feelings about "throwaway sites".

Whoops, sorry - I should explain. My version of "bounceback" is getting DH to agree to another WDW trip in this decade. :mad:

We love to camp; we usually stay at a lake that's not too far from our house. I'd like to get a pop-up or an RV but with five kids, I think we'll be saving that for retirement, LOL.

Well, then I'd say you're right..you are new to the boards.
Otherwise, you would know that this ain't nothin'...compared to some threads.:laughing:
Many forums on the Dis are actually quite well known (although, admittedly I can't speak to this particular forum)...for being extremely intense in their opinions and beliefs. Stick around..:flower3:

I've been on the Dis for quite a while now..and for the most part..I post primarily in the camping forum. :wizard: Folks there are of good humor and quite easy going. We are a tight group...:grouphug: who have one another's back. We generally stay away from other forums so as to avoid the intense, nasty, jabs that, unfortunately, are fairly common in a good many threads elsewhere on the Dis. We come various walks of life. We vary in age, gender, and incomes. We camp in tents, pop ups, travel trailers, fifth wheelers, motor homes, and yes..even half million dollar motor coaches.:drive: Over the years, our virtual friendships have grown and many of us have met and camped with one another in FW. In that vain...camping in FW is something we are quite passionate about. If you camp, then you know campers are a friendly bunch. If you pass a camper..you pick your head up and say "hi"..you don't walk past them, as you might in a hotel hallway. If you drive your golf cart past a camper...you wave if someone is outside their site or cabin. :wave: Nope..you don't know them...but they're campers. They wave back. ;)
When we hear about a situation where campers are getting the shaft..pirate: we rally the troops. :mic: It's what we do. Hopefully, it's done in a manner that will enlighted those who simply didn't realize their desire to save a buck is having a detrimental effect on someone who doesn't have another option in regards to Disney accomodations. I think that has been done here. There are those who have genuinely come to realize this little "money saving tip"..has ramifications they had never even considered. :eek:
It isn't simply a matter of "supply and demand"..or the "who who cares..I paid for it" attitude. (there will always be those that will annalyze it seven ways to Sunday) :sad2: Yet, there is only one Fort Wilderness. We can't bring our RV's or tents and camp out on the front lawn of the Poly. (or can we..:laughing:)
IMO it's simple common courtesy. :thumbsup2 Those that didn't know..or didn't realize, well now you do.::yes:: If you still don't give a rats behind, well, that speaks volumes, but you're gonna do what you're gonna do. No amount of information is going to enlighten someone like that.
As campers it's frustrating to be told you can't extend your stay, as the resort is booked solid, or you can't have your inlaws join you because there isn't a site available to them :confused3..when you've been starring at an empty site all week.:headache: It really does screw a camper out of a vacation. :sad2:
Until Disney does something to address the situation, this topic will likely continue to evoke strong passionate objections from the campers who enjoy FW for the wonderful resort it is...and rightfully so.
We can only hope our efforts will enlighten those who didn't know any better, and to ask those that do, but don't care...to think again about the ramifications this money saving tip has on folks who camp.
Honestly, when you add it up..the savings is so minimal.. why screw somebody out of a vacation?..:confused3

:worship:

Wow, this thread got pretty snippy. :worried:

....do people actually go camping in the hotest time at WDW. this is tent camping no air conditioning.

Don't forget, popup campers qualify for tent sites as well and quite a few popup campers have air conditioners-either portable or rooftop.

(Edited: I suppose you could also increase supply. But, I can't imagine Disney would devote more land to the relatively low-revenue campsites.

I don't know....there's a whole lot of work going on at the old River Country...making way for new sites maybe? I don't know about the campsites being low revenue either. The Fort doesn't offer any discounts for length of stay and quite of few of those campers are snowbirds that stay 6 months at a time for over $100 a night. Don't forget there is relatively no staff to be paid for campsites--no housekeeping etc.

If the campgrounds are so darn profitable on a per-sqare-foot basis, why do they keep building more DVC units instead of more campgrounds? It's not like Disney is afraid of making money.

Maybe some new DVC campsites in the old River Country? Just a thought...

I have to ask... if you are paying over $100/night for a campsite, why not just stay in a hotel instead?

Because our RV is more like home and the Fort is the only place we can bring our dog. Yes, we are way too attached to him but he's part of the family and we like being able to pick him up at The Fort kennel on our way back to camp.

I don't know why this makes so many people upset. .......Where do you see that I am lying. I told the person on the phone exactly what I was doing. So you want to tell me where I was lying and to whom did I tell this lie!

Two things I'd like to reply to here but I'll do the last one first. I don't think you're lying and although I hate how hard it is to get a campsite sometimes, I don't think what you're doing is necessarily wrong- obviously if you thought it was wrong-you wouldn't do it.:hug: I also don't think you're a liar.

Sometimes people who sing the praises of capitalism find it hard to continue to sing that song when the tune changes....myself included ;)

But to the first question you asked "why does this make everyone so upset?
You're right, people get practically rabid about this. Why? It's not like there aren't any other campgrounds ( for WAY less money) or hotels for God's sake. Why in the world would anyone pay such an outrageous amount for an electric plug, sewer hole, and water hose AND be so protective of that simple spot?

I felt the same way...until I stayed there. It is the epitome of Disney Magic. Just stay there a night or two. There are so many magical things to experience there and it truly is THE best kept secret at Disney World. I'm not an outdoorsy kind of girl and I would NEVER camp without my own RV, AC/Heat, running water, microwave, bathroom, internet access, laptop, cable TV, etc...see what I mean? Not much of a "roughing it" camper :rotfl:
But it is really and truly a magical place.

Instead of making a "throw away" reservation, why not just rent that nice big 5th wheel RV one of the disers rents out and stay there and see for yourself? It's a big beautiful camper that sleeps 9 or 10. What do you have to lose? You'll be at a resort a short boat ride away from Magic Kingdom so how bad of a time could you possibly have?

You just might fall in love with it as much as we did. But I warn you, it is addictive and it's also the only place we've ever stayed where we heard "do we have to go the parks? Can't we just stay here?" from the kids!

Wow, this thread got pretty snippy. :worried:

Don't forget, popup campers qualify for tent sites as well and quite a few popup campers have air conditioners-either portable or rooftop.

I don't know....there's a whole lot of work going on at the old River Country...making way for new sites maybe? I don't know about the campsites being low revenue either. The Fort doesn't offer any discounts for length of stay and quite of few of those campers are snowbirds that stay 6 months at a time for over $100 a night. Don't forget there is relatively no staff to be paid for campsites--no housekeeping etc.

Maybe some new DVC campsites in the old River Country? Just a thought...

Because our RV is more like home and the Fort is the only place we can bring our dog. Yes, we are way too attached to him but he's part of the family and we like being able to pick him up at The Fort kennel on our way back to camp.

Two things I'd like to reply to here but I'll do the last one first. I don't think you're lying and although I hate how hard it is to get a campsite sometimes, I don't think what you're doing is necessarily wrong- obviously if you thought it was wrong-you wouldn't do it.:hug: I also don't think you're a liar.

Sometimes people who sing the praises of capitalism find it hard to continue to sing that song when the tune changes....myself included ;)

But to the first question you asked "why does this make everyone so upset?
You're right, people get practically rabid about this. Why? It's not like there aren't any other campgrounds ( for WAY less money) or hotels for God's sake. Why in the world would anyone pay such an outrageous amount for an electric plug, sewer hole, and water hose AND be so protective of that simple spot?

I felt the same way...until I stayed there. It is the epitome of Disney Magic. Just stay there a night or two. There are so many magical things to experience there and it truly is THE best kept secret at Disney World. I'm not an outdoorsy kind of girl and I would NEVER camp without my own RV, AC/Heat, running water, microwave, bathroom, internet access, laptop, cable TV, etc...see what I mean? Not much of a "roughing it" camper :rotfl:
But it is really and truly a magical place.

Instead of making a "throw away" reservation, why not just rent that nice big 5th wheel RV one of the disers rents out and stay there and see for yourself? It's a big beautiful camper that sleeps 9 or 10. What do you have to lose? You'll be at a resort a short boat ride away from Magic Kingdom so how bad of a time could you possibly have?

You just might fall in love with it as much as we did. But I warn you, it is addictive and it's also the only place we've ever stayed where we heard "do we have to go the parks? Can't we just stay here?" from the kids!

:thumbsup2

We are doing this for the 4th of July. we are a party of 7, renting a house off-site. EMH is until 2 am on the fourth at MK. With the crowds we will need the extra time. I got the campsite for 63.15. Remember, than you are an on site guest, so you park free. So deduct the parking fee, it brings it down to49 dollars or so. Plus we can go and use the pool in the afternoon, if we want to take the chance of not getting back in. That make it about 7 dollars a person, so for us a great deal. I know some one is going to flame us for using a camp-site and not camping, but I told the CM on the phone and she said that it was a great idea, and I was not breaking any rules. Good Luck.

I didn't read the rest of this thread because I have heard it got vicious and mean.
I don't think anything is wrong with this. You paid for the site and could do what you want with it. You could have a party or do nothing with it. If WDW wanted to stop this they could make you book at least two nights. Disneyland is making people book at least two nights during my April trip. I have a feeling this thread is like the refillable mugs and pool hopping threads. Have a great trip.

Wait....you can rent RV's at FW?? I've always wanted to camp at FW, but didn't want to pull our rickety popup all the way from NH. Must look into this further!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter