*o* August Check-In Thread *o*

Tho whole reason I booked DL in August was because they don't usually do refurbs in peak times. I originally was going to pick fall but I didn't want to chance it since it's our 1st and prob last time visiting. And now no matterhorn and no HM. Ugh I hope that's it

Happy you're able to get this done. I am not looking forward to this when our son graduates. :sad1: He's our's for at least three more years woof! is it going fast!

I know it is so hard. I waited a LONG time to have kids, 2nd marriage and in my 30's, and yet it has flown by like I knew it would. When I got married to my 2nd husband he had a 7 year old daughter who was in 1st grade. She is now 26 and has 2 kids of her own and "my" oldest is 18, almost 19 and in college. I can't believe it. It is def true what they say once they hit about middle school and esp Freshman year those 4 years of HS just FLY by. It literally seems like just the other day she was starting hs and now she is in college. It has been very emotional and she applied to many colleges out of state (her boyfriend is from here but goes to college in Pittsburgh) and she got into all of them but luckily the money was just too much and I didn't want her taking out huge loans SOOOO she is now going to our local JC. I am so glad I have her for a few more years. She is going to transfer to a Univ here in CA in 2 years and is a French major so wants to do a semester abroad but I have her at least for a couple more and I am grateful. She and I are super close and I am so glad we are able to take this trip. Between school, work and the boyfriend she isn't able to do much with us anymore. My younger one (which is also my youngest) will be a senior this coming year so I get to do it all over again. She already knows though that she is going to go to the JC so I at least get them around a bit longer and unlike her sister she is always up for a trip esp Disney. In fact she wants to be an imagineer and we just took a trip this past April to check out Cal Arts.

Anywho sorry for the novel LOL but yes it def goes super quick. Enjoy every second of it and get in as many memories as you can ;)

I know it is so hard.
Anywho sorry for the novel LOL but yes it def goes super quick. Enjoy every second of it and get in as many memories as you can ;)

No worries, it's all good. Just think, you have grand kids, that's got to be the sweetest feeling! ::yes::

No worries, it's all good. Just think, you have grand kids, that's got to be the sweetest feeling! ::yes::
I wish but unfortunately my husband and I split 7 years ago and she was my stepdaughter and eventhough I raised her we are no longer close. My girls get to see the babies because they are their nieces but I don't :( I am not in a hurry for my girls to have kids but I AM looking forward to being a grandma though and hopefully can start this whole amazing process over again with my grandkids. I am so excited to see THEIR excitement the first time they go etc. :)

I wish but unfortunately my husband and I split 7 years ago and she was my stepdaughter and eventhough I raised her we are no longer close. My girls get to see the babies because they are their nieces but I don't :( I am not in a hurry for my girls to have kids but I AM looking forward to being a grandma though and hopefully can start this whole amazing process over again with my grandkids. I am so excited to see THEIR excitement the first time they go etc. :)

That's sad! Well then, we both have something amazing to look forward to. :hug:

That's sad! Well then, we both have something amazing to look forward to. :hug:
I know it certainly wasn't by my choice. I still feel like her mother because her real mom was not in the picture but she had a lot of issues and was kind of a wild child and we had issues before the ex and I split and then when we did she of course gravitated towards him as of course he is her real dad and he got a new girlfriend right away and so she spends time with them and basically stopped talking to me. It was very hard and my ex wanted me to be "grandma" but of course that all changed when he got the gf and now SHE is the grandma eventhough she didn't come into sd's life till she was grown. But it's all good. I was sad about it for awhile and I wish I could love on those babies but it is what it is. I am just grateful that I have my 2 girls and look forward to the day that I have grandkids of my own :)

Tho whole reason I booked DL in August was because they don't usually do refurbs in peak times. I originally was going to pick fall but I didn't want to chance it since it's our 1st and prob last time visiting. And now no matterhorn and no HM. Ugh I hope that's it

Hmm, I'm not seeing Haunted Mansion on the refurbishment list, what I do see...

Refurbishments
Disneyland Park

• Pinocchio's Daring Journey
  • Matterhorn Bobsleds
Disney California Adventure Park
  • Blue Sky Cellar
  • King Triton's Carousel
Link: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/au/calendar/daily/?day=20180731#closedAttractions

Hmm, I'm not seeing Haunted Mansion on the refurbishment list, what I do see...

Refurbishments
Disneyland Park

• Pinocchio's Daring Journey
  • Matterhorn Bobsleds
Disney California Adventure Park
  • Blue Sky Cellar
  • King Triton's Carousel
Link: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/au/calendar/daily/?day=20180731#closedAttractions

I guess Haunted mansion will close somewhere mid to end August for the Halloween overlay but I don’t know the exact dates or how long it was closed in the last years...( maybe someone with more experience fein recent years can chime in here...)

It's annoying that Matterhorn will be down until "Fall 2018." It was closed for part of our last trip too. :(

On a happier note, I just saw a video that shows a sneak peak of Lamplight Lounge. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on reservations (I was going back and forth). The inside is just so cool!

It's annoying that Matterhorn will be down until "Fall 2018." It was closed for part of our last trip too. :(

On a happier note, I just saw a video that shows a sneak peak of Lamplight Lounge. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on reservations (I was going back and forth). The inside is just so cool!

We have lunch ressies for Aug. I am excited to check it out!

Hello! Long time DL fan, planning to visit from Seattle in August. I was born and raised in SoCal so I know what we're in for. Hoping for a <100F vacation, hah!

We arrive Aug 3 and stay through Aug 8, and will then head to San Diego for five days. Staying at GCH, which we've done many times. We will be with our 9-year old twin boys and are looking forward to the trip. Currently in the meal planning process. My husband thinks I'm crazy doing this so far in advance but of course he appreciates it once we are there!

I guess Haunted mansion will close somewhere mid to end August for the Halloween overlay but I don’t know the exact dates or how long it was closed in the last years...( maybe someone with more experience fein recent years can chime in here...)

Guesstimates here have HM going down around Aug. 20th and coming back with the overlay on Sept. 7th, the first day of Halloween Time.

When will we know for sure the dates for HM closure? My first park day is Aug 22 and I'm holding out some hope that it might still be open, either way, it's not THAT different from WDW's HM from what I hear so I'll live if I miss it.

I'm so so bummed about Matterhorn!!! Undercover Tourist has it listed as reopening on Aug 24...yet the DL website says "Fall 2018". Where did the Aug 24 date come from?

Either way, closures are just the way things go and I shall deal with them. This will be my first trip to Disneyland and I'll be there Aug 22-25. So, so excited despite any sadness that is mixed in!

Hello! Long time DL fan, planning to visit from Seattle in August. I was born and raised in SoCal so I know what we're in for. Hoping for a <100F vacation, hah!

We arrive Aug 3 and stay through Aug 8, and will then head to San Diego for five days. Staying at GCH, which we've done many times. We will be with our 9-year old twin boys and are looking forward to the trip. Currently in the meal planning process. My husband thinks I'm crazy doing this so far in advance but of course he appreciates it once we are there!

Hi. For you and others who are booked at resort hotels in August and September, Sunday to Thursday discounts became available this morning. It’s worth checking out, even if it only applies for some of your days!

Editing to add that there is also a buy three get fourth night free discount but you have to phone. Here is the link:

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/offers-discounts/4-for-3-night-hotel/

Last edited:
Hubby has a convention at DLH, so we decided to add a few days and enjoy some fun at Disney. DLH was booked so we had to stay at GC instead (eek!). It will be our first time at an on-site hotel at Disneyland. We're arriving 8/12 and leaving 8/19. We have 5-day hoppers so we will just take it at a leisurely pace, take breaks for pool time midday, utilize MaxPass for the first time, enjoy extra magic hours, and get to experience the revamped attractions. So excited!

I see there are a few here going with recently graduated high school seniors this year! Me, too. This year my senior is going with a friend instead of the family for the first time ever (it was her graduation gift from us), but as it turns out, I'll be there with my younger daughter's girl scout troop almost exactly the same time ... so I hope I can convince her to do at least a ride or two with me! She and I had the same "first trip" to Disneyland ... we took a mommy/daughter trip, just the two of us, when she was 5 years old and I'd never been before, and now she's off to college. Time flies indeed.

Booked B.B. fantasmic package for 8/17 for lunch. As well as a late dinner at the lamp light lounge on 8/16. We are heading down at 8/15 and returning 8/19.

For the early fantasmic showing is it best to wait till after the show to watch fireworks?

Booked B.B. fantasmic package for 8/17 for lunch. As well as a late dinner at the lamp light lounge on 8/16. We are heading down at 8/15 and returning 8/19.

For the early fantasmic showing is it best to wait till after the show to watch fireworks?
Hahaha! I’ve also booked the BB Fantasmic lunch package for 8/22 and Lamplight Lounge for a late lunch on 8/23. I booked BB for 11:30 in the hope we can get waterside. I’ve also booked Cafe Orleans for 8/24. We’re doing a lot more TS than we normally would as I plan to give the parks miss when SWGE opens next year. I hope you enjoy your meals. Let me know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter