Off-topic randomness - a place to ramble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
VegasMonarch said:
i had to put child safety locks on our kitchen cabinets to keep my siamese cat (Max) out. and now he has figured out how to open a different cabinet. that cabinet won't support the locks, so it's taped. and now he's trying to find other ways to get into trouble. it's like having a child!

Our cat can open most of our cabinets, so the babylocks stayed on! LOL If the pantry door isn't closed tight, he can open that as well. :confused3

Cardinal said:
Oh, you're a comic genius.
=======
You're lucky this board isn't closed down. You'd better go to the Community Boards before I scare you.

Card,
Play nice please.

JeanJoe said:
Moving right along: DW got the call from daycare that 12mo had a fever of 105 today. She called me, and I volunteered to help stay with the kid at home, after we brought the kid to the pedi.

Of course, it wasn't until AFTER we had the kid in the car heading towards the pedi, when we looked at the note: 100.5. Felt like such an idiot, talking to the clinic people on the phone: "Umm, never mind, uh, yeah, I *am* a licensed pediatrician, actually. Really. No, it hasn't been revoked yet."

ARRRGGHHHH!

So, 2 parents got out of work for a temp of 100.5?!?

Was my turn last week. Call from daycare that DD2 has low-grade fever and hasn't been herself all day. I'm still working from home for another couple months, so no big deal to go pick her up. I get to daycare...she's in the process of climbing the bookshelf to see out the window :scared1: I ask about the fever...oh...it was 99, right after they came in from recess :rolleyes: . Since I drove all the way there, I just took her home with me.

Anyone happen to play Disney songs on the piano?

I'm trying to start back up with more playing. The collections I've found that I like best so far are:

- "The Disney Collection: best-loved songs from Disney movies, televesion shows, and theme parks"
and
- "The New Illustrated Treasury of Disney Songs"

The overlap somewhat, and sometimes the songs are actually identical, plus or minus an intro.

The tough part is that I learned as a kid with classical music, so I have absolutely no sense of syncopation; BUT, I've had a blast learning to play Cruella de Vil to the point where I *think* I've got it right. The other thing is that I'm not good enough to sight-read fast pieces, so I end up playing mostly the slow, romantic stuff. It gets to the point where I feel like I should be wearing sequins and playing for a bunch of silver-haired ladies in a cocktail lounge.

I should probably post on the CB for exposure to more people, but thought I'd ask here first, just in case.

JeanJoe said:
Anyone happen to play Disney songs on the piano?

I'm trying to start back up with more playing. The collections I've found that I like best so far are:

- "The Disney Collection: best-loved songs from Disney movies, televesion shows, and theme parks"
and
- "The New Illustrated Treasury of Disney Songs"

The overlap somewhat, and sometimes the songs are actually identical, plus or minus an intro.

The tough part is that I learned as a kid with classical music, so I have absolutely no sense of syncopation; BUT, I've had a blast learning to play Cruella de Vil to the point where I *think* I've got it right. The other thing is that I'm not good enough to sight-read fast pieces, so I end up playing mostly the slow, romantic stuff. It gets to the point where I feel like I should be wearing sequins and playing for a bunch of silver-haired ladies in a cocktail lounge.

I should probably post on the CB for exposure to more people, but thought I'd ask here first, just in case.

I grew up doing this too but when I got the piano from my mother, she kept the old old OLD Disney song book we had (hard bound, I'd guess 200 pages or so)...I want it!!! YAR!

I do the Disney piano stuff too. It's part of my background music/Nordstrom/family parties repertoire. :p I really like the Treasury of Disney songs because the arrangements are really full, and yet they're still easy enough for me to sight-read most of the time. Which is a good thing...because the repertoire I'm working on (Rhapsody in Blue/A Beethoven Sonata...I forget which one at the time) doesn't allow me very much time. Add that to the fact that I hardly ever practice piano anymore because of the 2-4 hours I spend on my clarinet every day, the Disney stuff is way down the totem pole.

Now...if there was only a way for me to find time to practice my flute and saxophone...hmm...

FlyThenFall said:
I really like the Treasury of Disney songs because the arrangements are really full, and yet they're still easy enough for me to sight-read most of the time.

Agreed -- the arrangements actually sometimes make me sound like I know what I'm doing! Just easy enough for me to (mostly) be able to play it; just complex enough not to sound like I'm plinking it out.

So, nothing else of this level of difficulty that you've come across? It'll keep me busy for a while, but I just thought I'd keep an eye out.

Can't wait to inflict myself on the relatives...

!!! Rhapsody in Blue !!! Sheez, and you have time to play VMK too?

Oh wait! I also have a book called "Disney Piano Solos" which isn't in Piano/Vocal/Guitar format...it's in piano solo format with no words or chord symbols. It's a dark blue book with a couple characters in the front in a sort of artsy collage. :p Anyways the only really reedeeming arrangements in this book are Reflection, A Whole New World, and You've Got a Friend in Me. Everything else is just OK, although Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah and Hakuna Matata just sound pretty awful. Reflection though is excellent, and I've played it for a couple concerts to resounding applause. It's a good "emoting" song. :)

BTW, these are a tad bit harder than the arrangements in the Treasury book. But I swear, the Reflection arrangement is tres magnifique!

Cardinal said:
Oh, you're a comic genius.
=======
You're lucky this board isn't closed down. You'd better go to the Community Boards before I scare you.

Wow. This is great, great stuff. Reminds me of when the fifth graders would stalk each other, trying to compete for playground dominance with clumsily-used words they just learned. Nothing like it, except maybe this post. What gives? Wasn't enough to have people wonder why you were whacked off at disalex, now you have to get everyone ticked at you? Nice work if you can get it, I suppose. Good luck in your future life as a New York Times movie critic!

hagen the impatient

FlyThenFall said:
Oh wait! I also have a book called "Disney Piano Solos" which isn't in Piano/Vocal/Guitar format...it's in piano solo format with no words or chord symbols. It's a dark blue book with a couple characters in the front in a sort of artsy collage. :p Anyways the only really reedeeming arrangements in this book are Reflection, A Whole New World, and You've Got a Friend in Me. Everything else is just OK, although Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah and Hakuna Matata just sound pretty awful. Reflection though is excellent, and I've played it for a couple concerts to resounding applause. It's a good "emoting" song. :)

BTW, these are a tad bit harder than the arrangements in the Treasury book. But I swear, the Reflection arrangement is tres magnifique!

Love that song -- Reflection. I'd get the book you mentioned just for that, I think. Know if it's still in print? Mulan wasn't THAT long ago... If you have it handy, post or PM me any details that might help me hunt it down. I don't think I've ever seen it. As for difficulty -- well, it's about time I "worked" at a new piece; might as well be one I like :)

You mentioned Nordstrom's before. Were you one of the dudes who plays there? My cousin did that. She now works with the NY Philharmonic, arranging stuff for the artists.

====

lol, hagen's feeding the troll, but it was so worth reading

Hey hagen!

Out in VMK land tonight, there was some interest in hearing you playing and singing. Now, I'm not sure if they meant in real life or in VMK... but if in real life, and you still can't post links, are there links you want posted?

I post this publicly so that Hagen can bask in the adoration of his future fans.

Yes, the book is still in print. Here's a link to the Hal Leonard site about it...clicky! You can probably order it online from a infinite amount of online retailers, I mean a quick search on J.W.Pepper brings it right up!

BTW, no I haven't played at Nordstroms. I'm a classical kid myself and don't quite have the repertoire for a gig like that yet (still can't improvise off of chord symbols...it's on my to-do list.) It's kind of a family joke that I should play the "tinkly" piano music there...mainly because they make me play "tinkly" piano music everytime we have a family gathering. I do though work at music store where I get to teach (mostly) great kids how to play music. I say mostly because I have one little bugger who gives me the an extremely hard time, all the time....

Thanks Fly -- I think I'll order that book

=====

So relentless bombarding DW with non-stop Disney seems to be having an effect.

This morning, as DD12mo was doing her wobbly stand, swaying back and forth, DW commented that she looked just like one of the It's a Small World dolls -- short, chubby cherub, round.

Yeah, I could see it! A short, chubby, round Small World Doll who was also scowling, shrieking, and eating garbage!

Hey Joe, are you just trying to learn so you can play more songs at VMK Jellyrolls ;)

Karen

Umm, sure -- so long as you sing. If you listen REAL close, you'll hear me playing, but you do the singing.

Actually, I'll still probably be the guy at the quiet corner table, where I can watch you all :) That's more me.

TLinden16 said:
Hey Joe, are you just trying to learn so you can play more songs at VMK Jellyrolls ;)

Karen

Look! A new smilie! :maleficen

I have no idea (other than this post) in how I would use it though. :confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter