OFFICIAL CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY SEASON & NEW YEAR'S 2017 THREAD

We will be visiting Jan 3rd to 6th. If I am reading correctly, this is the last few days of the holiday season? I had booked in the hopes that we had missed all the holiday stuff and it would be really quiet. However, if this is the last of the holidays will it be crazy busy with everyone trying to get visits in before the decorations come down? I am taking my 6 year old who has some mild special needs and I'm not sure how he will cope with huge numbers of people and exceptionally long waits....

Also, how/when can we find out what will be going on at that time? There doesn't seem to be anything on the website just yet...

Unfortunately 3rd Jan is when the deluxe annual passholders can re-enter the park after about 3 weeks of being unable to visit so there will be a few people. Mind you the week after that will be even busier as the other annual passes become unblocked. I would suggest you pay for maxpass (or at least use fastpass) and also look into the DAS (Disablity Access Service - see https://disneyland.disney.go.com/au/plan/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/ ) as this will help reduce the time spent waiting in lines (you still need to wait but it won't be in a line and you can rest in a quiet spot or look at the shops).

The good thing is you are there for 3 days so you can take it slow and if it gets too much then a break back at the hotel might be a good idea. The kids can get tired by mid afternoon and sometimes an afternoon rest allows them to return to the park for a few solid hours in the evening.

We will be visiting Jan 3rd to 6th. If I am reading correctly, this is the last few days of the holiday season? I had booked in the hopes that we had missed all the holiday stuff and it would be really quiet. However, if this is the last of the holidays will it be crazy busy with everyone trying to get visits in before the decorations come down? I am taking my 6 year old who has some mild special needs and I'm not sure how he will cope with huge numbers of people and exceptionally long waits....

Also, how/when can we find out what will be going on at that time? There doesn't seem to be anything on the website just yet...

Holiday Time this year will run from Nov. 10th through Jan. 7th (holidays-at-the-disneyland-resort-returns-november-10-through-january-7). As the pp said, the week after New Year's when the majority of APs are allowed back into the parks after being blocked for the holidays will be very busy. The first day that the lower APs were allowed back this year (Jan. 4th), DL hit capacity. Many schools will still be on break during that week, as well. The advice above to use FP or MP is very good. The park schedules (hours, entertainment, etc.) won't be published until closer to 6 weeks out from your dates.

Last edited:
Hope I am wrong because I am going at that time, too. But it has been noticeably busier the first week of December the past couple of years. Each year being busier than the previous.

The last time we were there in December was 2013 and it was the 2nd week in December (starting the 9th) and OMG the crowds were worse than our 2012 visit in mid-June. I'm hopeful it won't be nuts this next trip (Dec 3-8) but I'm not optimistic. I told DH that if it is nuts like our last December trip, we'll take a day off and go to Knott's Berry farm.
I heard from a friend that last week Thursday/Friday was insane at DL, 2 hour waits for most rides. It's crazy how it continues to get busier and busier. We *were* planning to get AP's this next trip, but I am honestly starting to question this.

Whoa, watching the park hours start to pop up for that first week in December and that Monday & Tuesday the park is open until 11pm...that definitely sounds like they are gearing up for high crowds :(

Whoa, watching the park hours start to pop up for that first week in December and that Monday & Tuesday the park is open until 11pm...that definitely sounds like they are gearing up for high crowds :(
Yeah- they definitely are gearing up for large crowds. I am not thrilled with that thought, but I would rather go expecting large crowds than be one of the people who are going and expecting it to be a quiet week. My trip starts Wednesday, but maybe you will have a slightly less crowded park on Monday and Tuesday. I will still complain that there are too many people, but wont be shocked and will try to be prepared. Ha ha. :drinking:

Made my first dining reservation for our Christmas to New Years trip :dancer:. We are flying in on 12/24 and made a reservation to Naples. We had this last year and loved it (it reminds us so much of our favorite restaurant in Epcot, Via Napoli). I figured after almost 7 hours of travel time (we are flying from Chicago with a lay over in San Franscico), we will want to have a really good dinner and then hopefully walk around DTD and enjoy all the Christmas decorations and fun there. I guess I must be really used to making reservations for our WDW trip because I thought for sure I would of had limited times, especially a time that I wasn't planning for. So not the case today I got exactly the time that I wanted...I guess the true test will be tomorrow when I try to make Fantasmic dining package at BB for dinner, and of course throughout the rest of the week I am hoping to get a few more reservations that may possibly give me some trouble (Napa Rose, WOC dining package at Ariel's Grotto, breakfast at the Plaza, afternoon tea, Carthay Circle for lunch). Wish me luck :goodvibes.

Thanks! Booked our first two reservations for the trip! So excited. Taking my girls to the Christmas themed afternoon tea at the DLH. It looks so yummy! Is anyone else doing this?

Made my first dining reservation for our Christmas to New Years trip :dancer:. We are flying in on 12/24 and made a reservation to Naples. We had this last year and loved it (it reminds us so much of our favorite restaurant in Epcot, Via Napoli). I figured after almost 7 hours of travel time (we are flying from Chicago with a lay over in San Franscico), we will want to have a really good dinner and then hopefully walk around DTD and enjoy all the Christmas decorations and fun there. I guess I must be really used to making reservations for our WDW trip because I thought for sure I would of had limited times, especially a time that I wasn't planning for. So not the case today I got exactly the time that I wanted...I guess the true test will be tomorrow when I try to make Fantasmic dining package at BB for dinner, and of course throughout the rest of the week I am hoping to get a few more reservations that may possibly give me some trouble (Napa Rose, WOC dining package at Ariel's Grotto, breakfast at the Plaza, afternoon tea, Carthay Circle for lunch). Wish me luck :goodvibes.

Just a few more days until I can make mine!!! Also hoping for BB fantasmic dinner.

Frustrating. If it turns out to be a nightmare, I think this will be our last Xmas visit. :(

Just a few more days until I can make mine!!! Also hoping for BB fantasmic dinner.

Fun!
I have booked Tortilla Joe's and The Christmas Tea so far.
I still need to book Goofy's, Storytellers, Café Orleans and Steakhouse 55 or Napa Rose.

Debate: Which would you prefer for a date night out? Steakhouse 55 or Napa Rose. We haven't been to either before. We did BB last time we went as our date night, but we were underwhelmed to be honest, so we want to try something else.

Fun!
I have booked Tortilla Joe's and The Christmas Tea so far.
I still need to book Goofy's, Storytellers, Café Orleans and Steakhouse 55 or Napa Rose.

Debate: Which would you prefer for a date night out? Steakhouse 55 or Napa Rose. We haven't been to either before. We did BB last time we went as our date night, but we were underwhelmed to be honest, so we want to try something else.

Both are really good, however, we really like the Napa Rose.

Any word on if there is any special Christmas dining during Christmas week?
It seems that Disney's Paradise Grill inside PPH may have special dinner buffets going on that week, but reservations still can't access the calendar to make those reservations (I just got off the phone with them). The woman didn't know if there would be characters or not either. She was surprised they don't have access yet.

I went ahead and made reservations for Christmas Eve at Carthay Circle. We don't want to end up with nowhere to go.

Anyone have a price on the Christmas Tea? I think it'd be a cute thing to add for our last day on the trip on the 29th. The mobile site gives me the menu (yum!) but not the price.

Hi all! I see this on the schedule....but don't remember it from last year. Did we just miss it or is it new? Looks fun!

Snowfall along Rivers of America
Frontierland
6:00 PM, 7:00 PM, 8:00 PM

Hi all! I see this on the schedule....but don't remember it from last year. Did we just miss it or is it new? Looks fun!

Snowfall along Rivers of America
Frontierland
6:00 PM, 7:00 PM, 8:00 PM
That sounds amazing! Can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter