OFFICIAL CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY SEASON & NEW YEAR'S 2017 THREAD

Thanks! I'll look into that!
Be sure to visit Santa. He's in the parks, as well as the onsite resorts (different times at each locations).

And the classic characters should be in Christmas attire in Town Square. Check the app. They are in and out all the time.

My questions:
What time does IASW light up? Dusk?

Same with Carsland?

I can't speak to IASW, but if you want to see the neon come on in Cars Land, ask a CM what time it will happen that day. I asked the CM at the RSR entrance, and they checked that day's schedule and told me 6:31pm. The lights actually came on at about 6:33pm. They're pretty darn specific about it!

From what I've read, I believe that the Christmas tree lightings in both parks are the same way - ask a CM for that day's exact lighting time.

Have you decided in which park you will spend New years eve?

We arrive the 31st so think we are going to just do the character dinner at PPH and then get up early on new years day as I heard that it can be quieter the first few hours after the 31st as everyone stayed up late :)

I can't speak to IASW, but if you want to see the neon come on in Cars Land, ask a CM what time it will happen that day. I asked the CM at the RSR entrance, and they checked that day's schedule and told me 6:31pm. The lights actually came on at about 6:33pm. They're pretty darn specific about it!

From what I've read, I believe that the Christmas tree lightings in both parks are the same way - ask a CM for that day's exact lighting time.
I think IASW does the lights every 15 minutes after dusk? I could be wrong though

I called Disney Dining this morning to book RBT Fantasmic package for the 21st of December, but there is no show through the week. Only Friday through Sunday and during the Christmas week. So the only night time entertainment will be fireworks? Oh my.....:sad2:

I called Disney Dining this morning to book RBT Fantasmic package for the 21st of December, but there is no show through the week. Only Friday through Sunday and during the Christmas week. So the only night time entertainment will be fireworks? Oh my.....:sad2:
That's sad.

I still don't get why they aren't at least running the Christmas parade at night. Seems like a bad idea not to have something to occupy the crowds at night.

Hi Everyone! I see there will be lots of folks from disboards traveling to DL. I'm wondering if any of you more knowledgeable people can help me. We are WDW regulars, and I've had the luxury of knowing how things work most of the time. This will be our second trip to DL. The first was kind of a flop as DH and I did both parks super rushed while he wasn't feeling well. This time we will be there with my in laws (who are locals, but NEVER go to DL), and our 3 year old and infant daughters. Are there any lesser known activities or awesome photo ops for young children? Do they have babycare centers at the DL/CA parks? Are there any cute Christmas themed character meets? TIA!
They have baby care centers in both parks. There is no baby care center in Downtown Disney however. When will you be in the parks?

We arrive the 31st so think we are going to just do the character dinner at PPH and then get up early on new years day as I heard that it can be quieter the first few hours after the 31st as everyone stayed up late :)
Will you be able to see the fireworks from both parks on NYE? I have never been to the PPH.

Since Christmas is on Monday I wonder if they will have it every night that week of Christmas. Looking at the calendar it shows every night for the week of thanksgiving if I'm looking right. I wonder if they just haven't realeased that info yet since it's right at 60 days for that first Saturday show- if that makes sense.

Oh, no!

Does anyone know if in the past they've opened December dates with limited shows but added some later?

Since Christmas is on Monday I wonder if they will have it every night that week of Christmas. Looking at the calendar it shows every night for the week of thanksgiving if I'm looking right. I wonder if they just haven't realeased that info yet since it's right at 60 days for that first Saturday show- if that makes sense.
Yes. It will be every night from Dec 22-31 if I understood her correctly.

Still see Monday thru Thursday December 18th thru 22nd have shorter hours than previous weeks. First was just thinking it might just be Monday and Tuesday- but no, all week. I am beginning to think it is because most APs are blocked then.- which may mean lower crowds and probably less nighttime crowds as the AP cannot come after work as in prior weeks. Kind of funny though- as APs are supposed to be blocked during busier times and now they are reducing park hours when blocked. They are probably thinking it will be like summer and crowds now less when APs blocked. Seems more room availability and cheaper rooms that week, too. I think the first week of December is going to be one of the busiest weeks of the holiday season- at least before Christmas. So all you folks thinking the first week of December is good- think you better be prepared for big crowds. I personally know quite a few people heading down that week from Northen Cal as they think it will be quiet- think they are going to be in for a big surprise. Maybe Disney will rethink blockout dates in the future. But in any case, whenever you go- just gotta go with the flow!

Still see Monday thru Thursday December 18th thru 22nd have shorter hours than previous weeks. First was just thinking it might just be Monday and Tuesday- but no, all week. I am beginning to think it is because most APs are blocked then.- which may mean lower crowds and probably less nighttime crowds as the AP cannot come after work as in prior weeks. Kind of funny though- as APs are supposed to be blocked during busier times and now they are reducing park hours when blocked. They are probably thinking it will be like summer and crowds now less when APs blocked. Seems more room availability and cheaper rooms that week, too. I think the first week of December is going to be one of the busiest weeks of the holiday season- at least before Christmas. So all you folks thinking the first week of December is good- think you better be prepared for big crowds. I personally know quite a few people heading down that week from Northen Cal as they think it will be quiet- think they are going to be in for a big surprise. Maybe Disney will rethink blockout dates in the future. But in any case, whenever you go- just gotta go with the flow!

Oh yeah. We are going the week of Christmas. The 26-31st. I'm expecting chaos. Lol. My only ray of hope is that AP's are blocked.

Which one are we considering the first week in December - the week starting Monday December 4th?

That's sad.

I still don't get why they aren't at least running the Christmas parade at night. Seems like a bad idea not to have something to occupy the crowds at night.

Couldn’t agree more. Now PTN and MSEP have finished, move the Christmas parade to the evenings. I don’t want to watch it in the hot afternoon sunlight!

Uggghhhhhh... I think after this year I need to pull the trigger and move our bi-annual visits to July...

For one year at least. The second Galaxy’s Edge opens, it won’t be a locals park anymore that’s for sure! And I don’t think we will see quiet weeks again for at least 2 years.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter