Official Wine and Dine 2016 thread

Man. I had to come here because I can't handle the random aggression on the facebook group. Anytime the course is brought up and someone says even a nice "I was surprised by it" someone jumps on them and tells them how it is Disney and if they can't have fun they feel sorry for them.

But, if we can't have friendly conversations about disney, what does that say??

So in closing here, I want to say how thankful I am for this group. Everyone is so excited, helpful, and open minded. And I am glad we have this place to come to discuss, so we don't drive everyone around us nuts talking about it 15 hours a day :)

I'm leaving my family at home and doing my first solo trip. I am so thankful that I have you guys, because it's hard not to show my excitement too much at home. They're all a bit jealous. ;-)

In other news, I finally got my magical express docs.

RIGHT?

And after all the effort they put into the Darkwing Duck setup this year, I'm sure they'll use that meet again. With the plane, it was SUPER cool.

:cool1::banana: Yessssss!!! If any one is looking for me, this is a good place to start. #letsgetdangerous :rotfl2:

I am in D and thinking I may try to buck the notion that you can't PR at a Disney race, particularly with the course being so flat (until the end).

This is my first destination race and Disney race - care to share your ultimate packing list?

:rolleyes1 Its possible. The flat is awesome. Many flat. So flat. :thumbsup2

Man. I had to come here because I can't handle the random aggression on the facebook group. Anytime the course is brought up and someone says even a nice "I was surprised by it" someone jumps on them and tells them how it is Disney and if they can't have fun they feel sorry for them.

But, if we can't have friendly conversations about disney, what does that say??

So in closing here, I want to say how thankful I am for this group. Everyone is so excited, helpful, and open minded. And I am glad we have this place to come to discuss, so we don't drive everyone around us nuts talking about it 15 hours a day :)

I'm optimistic about the course.

I've run on several courses before that I thought would be great, and they weren't .... and vice versa.

Running is fun and a release for me ... I don't have the time, nor the want, to stress or be upset about what's out of my control!

Brian

So for all my Northern States (and fellow Canadian) Run Disney Veterans....is Florida in November going to feel cold or hot? I am a Tink sized girl, who is habitually "freezing" in our chillier climates (I live in Ontario) and have only ever been to Disney in August temps, which I am totally fine with! So, I am packing for every eventuality, but would love some anecdotal feedback too.
So far, Orlando has not yet changed seasons - our first cold front is coming in this Saturday, which means highs in the mid 70's and lows in the upper 50's for Sunday and Monday. Temps have been in the mid 80's for the past couple of weeks, and the early morning (race time) temps have been low 70's. Humidity has been moderate to high, with the only blip being right after the hurricane where it was less humid for a few days. Last year on race day, it was mid to upper 80's and humid. Hoping for that cold spell to have the temps in the 60's on race day this year.

I'd be lying if I said I was OPTIMISTIC about the course -- that said, there is only so cranky I could EVER get about a race in WDW!! :)

I think it's fair and reasonable to not be thrilled with a course, and to expect to be able to say so without people coming down on you like a ton of bricks -- ITA with @AThrillingChase!! I haven't seen anyone saying "this course is going to RUIN my whole experience!!!"... that would strike me as a bit much, personally. :)

I'd be lying if I said I was OPTIMISTIC about the course -- that said, there is only so cranky I could EVER get about a race in WDW!! :)

I think it's fair and reasonable to not be thrilled with a course, and to expect to be able to say so without people coming down on you like a ton of bricks -- ITA with @AThrillingChase!! I haven't seen anyone saying "this course is going to RUIN my whole experience!!!"... that would strike me as a bit much, personally. :)

That would be crazy! I know it will still be a lot of fun. And I am really hopeful they will put out a lot of entertainment. I am mostly just hoping that they do not start ending every half distance with that awful ramp, a tiny taste of EP, and then rushing you out to the parking lot. This is now 3 of 4, and we are still waiting on dark side courses for 2017. Pleasssse RD give us a unique course!

That would be crazy! I know it will still be a lot of fun. And I am really hopeful they will put out a lot of entertainment. I am mostly just hoping that they do not start ending every half distance with that awful ramp, a tiny taste of EP, and then rushing you out to the parking lot. This is now 3 of 4, and we are still waiting on dark side courses for 2017. Pleasssse RD give us a unique course!

True.

You know, I think there is a vibe here where the criticism of runDisney has been from the perspective of wanting to protect the brand, not lash out at it. Further, that perspective seems better understood here than elsewhere.

And make no mistake, rD has come under a LOT of heat here, but those ideas, and disagreements to them, have been well thought out and respectfully presented. (Except maybe for someone telling us to chill out about the corrals? We had nothing else to talk about!) For Orlando races, course design carries more importance, I think, because public support is unavailable for about 90% of the race. For those who say it's your fault for not enjoying yourself, just because you're on the Disney property, I'm not sure I understand that. An empty stretch of road is pretty much the same everywhere. The major concern is the reliance on rD's entertainment, which anecdotally has been getting thinner over the past few years. We pay a premium for the experience, so we should speak up, especially if we fear certain changes will cause interest to wane. Disney is cut happy these days.

But we do keep going back. And we're taking our friends and family with us. So it's obviously not ruining the Magic.

Hey all, I'm sorry if this has been talked about but I don't see much chatter on it here. Has anyone gotten their race info in an email yet? This is My first rundisney 5k and I'm nervous as it's two weeks away now.

Hey all, I'm sorry if this has been talked about but I don't see much chatter on it here. Has anyone gotten their race info in an email yet? This is My first rundisney 5k and I'm nervous as it's two weeks away now.
No email but if you go to the official page the wavers and event guide are up

Nope! They don't send out much via email.

You can head over to the Runner Info section of runDisney.com on the Wine & Dine page and download your waiver and check out the Event Guide.

I've done the 5K for this race weekend twice and it's really fun! You will love it. :)

There were pdfs of the staging and corse maps in the E-guide I copy pasted all the other info and put it in word to print

12.5 done! It went better than the 11 miles last week so I feel much better for 2 weeks. I am glad I had the hiccup with my ankle and didn't have to do 14 today. I never want to run this far again. I don't enjoy it.

@afan woohoo way to go! 2 week is so fun to say isn't it!

Yes! Especially since we decided on this race in Feb/March of last year so it's been a long time to get to it.

My feet will be happy in a few hours, meeting a friend for lunch and pedi's. And the friend I'm going with to WDW we also have pedi appt's for after the race :) My feet, especially my toes, get super cranky after long runs.

I did 3.5 miles yesterday and 9+ today. I was hoping the route I did today would get me to 10, but it didn't. :( I should have done another loop around a couple blocks to get up there. Something about 10 just would have sounded better! But oh well. The weather was so perfect today and I'm glad I got out there and at least did over 9.

Okay - two questions for the FL locals.

I depart on Friday and am torn about what to pack. Last year W&D was HOT all week, but the year before was rainy and freezing. Long range forecast is saying low 80s. Any suggestions?

Also, I've seen some mention of daylight savings. I got tripped up by this last year (time changed the day after I arrived). Can someone remind me - are we turning clocks back or forward an hour the day of the half?

Also, I've seen some mention of daylight savings. I got tripped up by this last year (time changed the day after I arrived). Can someone remind me - are we turning clocks back or forward an hour the day of the half?
For Daylight Savings, the thing to remember is "Fall Back" and "Spring Forward." So back one hour in the fall. The good news is if you forget you won't be late, you'll be very early!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter