Official Wine and Dine 2016 thread

People certainly do either or these things -- really just a preference, I think. I have a thin jacket that I run in when it's a little colder out. I wear it while in the corrals (I'm always in shorts and tshirt) then tie it around my waist for the race. Now I know that wouldn't work for some who care about costumes and such, but that is not me! :)
Thanks!! I think I'll check out my local goodwill for a cheap sweater/jacket that way when I toss it, it can be donated in the end. :)

Since my outfit is more a bound then an outright costume I'm between just wearing the jacket I have and just tying it around my waist before the race since the color works or looking for a throwaway zip up instead even if color is off

This will be my first Run Disney race and I'm doing the challenge. Do you use the mylars to stay warm while in the corrals or do you put them in the gear check bag for after? I'm wearing tank and shorts/sparkle skirt for both days and I know I'll be chilly that early in the morning no matter what temp it is. I'm trying to decide between using the mylar or buying something to throwaway...cheapest option will probably be what I go with since I'll be buying 2 of whatever to throw away.

I generally go with something throwaway or a mylar if I have one handy. I warm up quickly once I start to run and tying a jacket around my waist bugs me, so not a good option for me. Other inexpensive but admittedly not super attractive options I've used are a trash bag (cut holes for the head and arms, good for rainy or windy days) or tall tube socks (cut off the toes and use them as arm warmers). Cheap and easy to disgard.

I generally go with something throwaway or a mylar if I have one handy. I warm up quickly once I start to run and tying a jacket around my waist bugs me, so not a good option for me. Other inexpensive but admittedly not super attractive options I've used are a trash bag (cut holes for the head and arms, good for rainy or windy days) or tall tube socks (cut off the toes and use them as arm warmers). Cheap and easy to disgard.

Is it weird all I can picture here is Britney Spears doing the Super Bowl halftime show with Aerosmith in her tube sock arm warmers?

This will be my first Run Disney race and I'm doing the challenge. Do you use the mylars to stay warm while in the corrals or do you put them in the gear check bag for after? I'm wearing tank and shorts/sparkle skirt for both days and I know I'll be chilly that early in the morning no matter what temp it is. I'm trying to decide between using the mylar or buying something to throwaway...cheapest option will probably be what I go with since I'll be buying 2 of whatever to throw away.
Depending on the weather I have done both had it before (which I tossed in the trash before starting, don't keep it on as it can mess up your chip) and then had one in gear check if the aren't handing them out. I do have some garage sale hoodies that I'll bring and race morning decide if I need to wear it, then toss on the side or in donation box before starting. If at all possible I try to avoid being stuck with a jacket I'll have to tie around my waste as I go, I don't mind in training but during a race it starts to annoy me.

What are everyone's thoughts on doing long runs close to race day? I don't know if I'll actually do it, but I have a day off this coming Friday and am contemplating trying to go out for 10 or so miles if the weather is nice. Would you do it or should I just be satisfied with the 9.4 I did yesterday and stick with a few shorter runs for the next couple weeks? I obviously don't want to risk getting injured and there probably wouldn't be any benefit to it.

I'd say listen to your body as well. I think 9.4 is close enough to 10. I've run 3 halves this fall and my last one will be three weeks from race day, but it will have to do. I couldn't bring myself to run a long run last weekend and I won't do one the weekend before. With my knee issues though I've been taking it super easy training wise compared to being OCD about completing the Galloway training plan so I hope I'm ready!

Just wondering, for those who have been-there/done-that, how long does it typically take to get through the finish line and back to your resort? Not having to meet up with anyone, and if it matters staying at Port Orleans. Is an hour a reasonable estimate, or am I well over/under?

I would say an hour is a fair estimate. We stayed there for Glass Slipper and we went through the chutes, got our picture with the backgrounds, etc and the longest part was definitely waiting for the bus. But things moved along pretty well.

In the past I've used a trash bag or a mylar from a previous race. I actually got wise to saving the mylars so I have about 3 that live in my suitcase to bring with me so I am ready for the weekend. Then I just toss them before the start. There's no way I want to run with something tied around my waist. It would drive me nuts!

Okay - two questions for the FL locals.

I depart on Friday and am torn about what to pack. Last year W&D was HOT all week, but the year before was rainy and freezing. Long range forecast is saying low 80s. Any suggestions?

Also, I've seen some mention of daylight savings. I got tripped up by this last year (time changed the day after I arrived). Can someone remind me - are we turning clocks back or forward an hour the day of the half?

Unfortunately it is too far out to get a realistic prediction on the weather, but most likely you can expect warm rather than hot. We just got our first cold front Friday night, so it was 58 at sun-up Saturday morning and 55 on Sunday morning. If the temp is close to predicted, it will be around 60 - 62 at sun-up. It will be at least 4- 5 days out to predict a cold front, or if there is the tropical / high pressure warmth like last year. I know this does not help you pack, sorry. I'm hoping for a cold front since it was like night and day running Saturday morning (58 and cool) versus the previous Saturday (74 and humid).

We are debating whether buying Memory Maker in advance is worth it. We will only be at WDW from Satrday through Monday morning, so not a lot of park time. There are 3 of us running the half, but we usually don't stop for many character pictures on the course. Have you all gotten good pictures from photopass on the race courses in the past? (This is our first Florida runDisney weekend).

We are debating whether buying Memory Maker in advance is worth it. We will only be at WDW from Satrday through Monday morning, so not a lot of park time. There are 3 of us running the half, but we usually don't stop for many character pictures on the course. Have you all gotten good pictures from photopass on the race courses in the past? (This is our first Florida runDisney weekend).

I loved my photos from last year, but I am with you on the contemplation front, since I will be solo, whether or not it is worth the money. It's so expensive, but I know I'll be disappointed if I have no photos, and I absolutely suck at taking selfies. Lol.

For me I figured my passes were gearing up for renewal anyway and it would of been more cost effective to upgrade to a gold AP then to get a weekend memory maker added... plus it gives me insentive to do character meets through the year cause those were some of my favorite elements when I cruised back in September

Did anyone else just get an email about Voluntearing and picking up of credentials? I did... but i am still on the waitlist and have't been notified that I was scheduled...

In the past I've used a trash bag or a mylar from a previous race. I actually got wise to saving the mylars so I have about 3 that live in my suitcase to bring with me so I am ready for the weekend. Then I just toss them before the start. There's no way I want to run with something tied around my waist. It would drive me nuts![/QUOTE]

I've heard people on facebook mention trash bags. Do you find that they really work?

Depending on the weather I have done both had it before (which I tossed in the trash before starting, don't keep it on as it can mess up your chip) and then had one in gear check if the aren't handing them out. I do have some garage sale hoodies that I'll bring and race morning decide if I need to wear it, then toss on the side or in donation box before starting. If at all possible I try to avoid being stuck with a jacket I'll have to tie around my waste as I go, I don't mind in training but during a race it starts to annoy me.
Thanks! I hate running with something tied around my waist....even my Fitletic belt is starting to annoy me to the point I've been training lately without it. I think I'll buy a mylar to put in my gear bag for after the run and then have a trash bag or hoodie for the corrals. Thanks for the help! :)

So I'm running the challenge and hubby was going to join me at the after party so I bought him a ticket. He can't go now, but since I specifically put in his name when I bought the ticket will it act like the race registration and only be able to be used by him??

link only asks for who will be picking up the ticket, not who will be using it. even if the name was linked to the ticket (as the pick up person), i don't see how they could enforce that person to be present, as you could simply say they bought it and picked it up for you cause you didn't have time. of course, they always have the disclaimer on non-transferable, etc. are they that desperate for money? the ticket is sold - isn't a person in the party worth more than turning them away at the gate?

Question- my friend that I'm going with has an AP so she gets photos- can I link my bib # with her somehow? I thought I read that somewhere back in this thread. If so, how do we do that?

Thanks!

Thanks!! I think I'll check out my local goodwill for a cheap sweater/jacket that way when I toss it, it can be donated in the end. :)

It's not quite as cheap as Goodwill, but I found zip up hooded sweatshirts at Wal Mart for $11. Should be nice and warm as well as easy to discard and appreciated by someone after being donated by the race organizers afterwards...

Okay - two questions for the FL locals.

I depart on Friday and am torn about what to pack. Last year W&D was HOT all week, but the year before was rainy and freezing. Long range forecast is saying low 80s. Any suggestions?

Also, I've seen some mention of daylight savings. I got tripped up by this last year (time changed the day after I arrived). Can someone remind me - are we turning clocks back or forward an hour the day of the half?
No way of knowing what weather will be this far out - right now, I'd have a mental (or physical) list of options for all possible weather - you can whittle away at that a day or two before you leave, when forecasts become a little more accurate. That said, I live 90 miles from WDW and pack the following for EVERY race weekend, just in case: a few mylar blankets (even if I don't need them for heat, they're waterproof and hence great for sitting on if the ground is wet), a couple cheap ponchos, a throwaway shirt/sweatshirt/whatever. I keep all of those in a plastic grocery bag, ready to roll for each race weekend.

What are everyone's thoughts on doing long runs close to race day? I don't know if I'll actually do it, but I have a day off this coming Friday and am contemplating trying to go out for 10 or so miles if the weather is nice. Would you do it or should I just be satisfied with the 9.4 I did yesterday and stick with a few shorter runs for the next couple weeks? I obviously don't want to risk getting injured and there probably wouldn't be any benefit to it.
At this point, pushing mileage isn't going to have any real benefit, but could risk injury - I wouldn't. I happen to be doing 9 this coming weekend, but that's a cut-back in my Dopey training; were I training for W&D only, I'd be cutting back to 6-7 and then tapering over the following week.

Just wondering, for those who have been-there/done-that, how long does it typically take to get through the finish line and back to your resort? Not having to meet up with anyone, and if it matters staying at Port Orleans. Is an hour a reasonable estimate, or am I well over/under?
I think an hour is a great estimate - that's about what I always figure. Getting through the finish chute doesn't take very long, but if you wait in line for a finisher photo, or pull over to eat/drink, and/or if there are long lines for buses, time could add up. I think the fastest I've ever been through was maybe 20 mins: through the chute, skipped pics, grabbed food and walked straight to my car, which was parked in a relatively near spot.

Question- my friend that I'm going with has an AP so she gets photos- can I link my bib # with her somehow? I thought I read that somewhere back in this thread. If so, how do we do that?

Thanks!
Yep! After the race/s your friend will need to add the W&D race code with your bib # to her PP. Your race pics will then show in her account and she can download and send them to you.

Just an FYI as we discuss weather and clothing/throwaway options... Mylar sheets can be had dirt-cheap on Amazon. I bought a pack of 20 for around $10 a few years ago, so I alwyas have a few on hand. And they come folded in tiny little packs smaller than most men's wallets.

Wonder of wonders...I actually got that silly "You will be getting a virtual gift card" e-mail a few minutes ago. Hopefully the actual gift card e-mails are not similarly spaced out over the course of 2 weeks. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter