'Ohana Means Family - An April 2013 TR Updated 8/26!!

I missed your last update and so am responding to that one and this one.

We've not been to Chef Mickey's in over 10 years. It looks like the boys handled their first greets very well. :thumbsup2 Love all the pictures, but especially the ones with Pluto.

:yay::yay: for new Mickey ears.

And what a great interaction with the man himself, Mickey Mouse. How cute that Mickey is holding Ian's hand.

The boys were a lot better than we were expecting, though still very shy. We had tried to watch some YouTube videos before the trip with character meet and greets so that they would get an idea of what it would be like (this is how we found that Fantasmic would be a very bad idea for this trip :sad:)

There have been a few times that Ian has wanted to wear his ears around the house simply because he could.

I love just how gentle the characters are with little ones. I've had some great interactions as an adult, since the characters aren't worried about scaring you, but seeing it through my children's eyes was just so special.

Great update! :)

Thanks! I'm trying to balance just how many pictures we have so that the posts aren't insanely long, but also trying to keep up a regular posting schedule. So far after the boys are in bed works the best.

Magic Kingdom Day 1, Part 3

It was now getting close to 11:15am and we had a very special appointment at 11:30. Since we didn't want to miss our FastPass window for the Princesses we decided to head over a little bit early.

Where were we headed?

Just across Town Square to the Harmony Barber Shop!

Logan was going to have his very first haircut in the Magic Kingdom!

He probably didn't really need it (Ian had his first haircut around 18 months), but about 3 weeks before our trip Ryan made the comment that he thought that Logan needed his hair trimmed before we left. I paused for a moment and countered with, "Why not have his hair cut while we're there?" I texted my mom and asked her if she wanted to be there for Logan's first haircut and she replied "Of course!" I asked, "How does April 17th sound?" I think she was confused at first until I reminded her that there was a barber shop on Main Street. A quick (well, I was on hold for what felt like forever) call and we had our appointment set and ready to go.

Lots of stickers to keep him occupied

Not more pictures mom!

He was so good and sat very still for Diane.

Almost done!

Part way through Logan's haircut I heard music coming from outside and was able to just barely catch the end of Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It. It is a really cute parade!

Mickey just before his float went backstage

Genie!

I tried so hard to get a good picture of Sebastian, but he kept moving!

Lumiere!

As Lumiere's float moved backstage he held the most amazing pose, which I could have sworn my dad had gotten a picture of as well, but it must be in the same place as our missing Mary Poppins pictures

I came back in just as Logan's haircut was finishing up. Admiring the handiwork.

Brothers

My mom got the same picture from the opposite angle

We got a super cute certificate for the scrapbook and a little sachet with all of Logan's cut hair and "pirate dust" (Mickey confetti).

Ryan had wandered off during Logan's haircut because the barber shop was tiny and was a bit crowded with all of us in there, but we managed to meet up just outside the firehouse. He had overheard a few other guests outside the barber shop talking about Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom and he decided to check it out. While we rotated through bathroom breaks and diaper changes I got a chance to sign up as well, but we didn't have time to play at the moment - my starting point was in Fantasyland and Ryan's was in Liberty Square.

We sat and listened to the Dapper Dans for a little bit, but we had another very important date - our FastPass window to meet the Princesses had opened!

I love the hair cut pictures...very cute.

And the two pictures of the boys in the window are priceless.

I knew that this meet and greet was really mostly for me since I knew that two little boys were not going to care that much about a bunch of princesses. They sort of knew who Cinderella and Rapunzel were from seeing Cinderella in the pilot movie for the Sofia the First show on Disney Junior and they have seen Tangled a few times.

Thankfully there was just enough of a line for the FastPass Return that I had time to get the three crocheted princesses out of the small bag I was storing them in inside the backpack.

First was Rapunzel. Most of the Princesses had this look on their face seeing a miniature version of themselves made out of yarn.

I hadn't quite mastered holding the boys down lower so that I could be seen in the picture too. Oh well, just means that I'll have to go back someday and get new pictures taken! Ryan also has a bad habit of not smiling in pictures - it was like pulling teeth to get him to smile in a few of our wedding pictures.

When Aurora saw her mini version in the blue dress she asked if we were friends with Merryweather, which I replied that I was and that I always liked her in her blue dress more than the pink. Out of the "makeovers" that the princesses all received (during our trip only Cinderella, Aurora, and Belle had the new outfits and hairstyles) I like Aurora's the most. Her new dress just seems softer than the old one.

I can't remember what Cinderella was saying when we first walked to her area of the room, but I think she might have been saying something about how my boys were princes.

By now it was close to 12:30 - and we still hadn't even made it out of Town Square! It was finally time to find some rides, and some lunch! :lmao:

Happy Halloween everyone! I probably won't be able to get to write a new update post until really late again - because we were out of town when our city had trick or treating I will be taking the boys to a mall close to us so they can get a little bit of candy while staying dry on this very rainy day (and so I can pick up our preordered copy of Monsters University!) and then after dinner I have choir practice.

Hi Megan, I'm catching up here.

Great way to start your trip with Chef Mickeys. Characters and Mickey waffles = perfect! :thumbsup2

Those shorts that your mom made for the boys are adorable. Their interaction with Mickey was so cute.

We popped into the Harmony Barber shop last trip and saw the same gal. The photo of the boys in the window is precious. You have captured so many great images and this is only your first day in the park.

I'm In :)

So I just read up to you guys landing in orlando. I'm also from illinois but I live in the northern section. My brother went to ISU so my family is VERY familiar with Avanti's!!!!! It is a must have every time we go down there! We usually go for the pizza bread but have also had their gondola's as well! It actually has been a few years since I actually got to have their amazing bread and this update is making me miss it!!!!

I love the picture of Logan looking at his new haircut in the mirror. :thumbsup2 So cute. I'm hoping we'll be able to go back to wdw next fall and if we do I will be very tempted to have Buttercup's first hair cut there. It seems like such a neat experience.

Hi Megan, I'm catching up here.

Great way to start your trip with Chef Mickeys. Characters and Mickey waffles = perfect! :thumbsup2

Those shorts that your mom made for the boys are adorable. Their interaction with Mickey was so cute.

We popped into the Harmony Barber shop last trip and saw the same gal. The photo of the boys in the window is precious. You have captured so many great images and this is only your first day in the park.

I'm slightly bummed that we didn't get to have dinner at Chef Mickey's because of our flights being changed on us, but it worked out fairly well in the end. I'm very lucky that my mom was able to make the shorts - she's got me interested in crafting when I was about 10, when she taught me how to crochet and sew. And there are still many more pictures to come! Between all of our cameras and PhotoPass I think we had over 1,000!

I'm In :)

So I just read up to you guys landing in orlando. I'm also from illinois but I live in the northern section. My brother went to ISU so my family is VERY familiar with Avanti's!!!!! It is a must have every time we go down there! We usually go for the pizza bread but have also had their gondola's as well! It actually has been a few years since I actually got to have their amazing bread and this update is making me miss it!!!!

The pizza bread is fantastic too! Every time we are in B/N to visit I have to stop by Avantis at least once. Where in northern IL are you? We're technically closer to WI than Chicago where we are in Waukegan.

I love the picture of Logan looking at his new haircut in the mirror. :thumbsup2 So cute. I'm hoping we'll be able to go back to wdw next fall and if we do I will be very tempted to have Buttercup's first hair cut there. It seems like such a neat experience.

The people at Harmony are absolutely fantastic with kids, and first haircuts are their speciality.

I usually just lurk but I wanted you to know I'm enjoying reading your report.

Welcome! I hope to get back to updating regularly soon!

Adorable pictures of the boys meeting the characters and getting their hair cut!

Even with being uncertain about the characters at times they did really well, which made me extra happy.

I'm sorry about the delay in posting a new update, but our weekend ended up busier than I thought, and then yesterday Ian was sent home early from preschool because of a fever. And since kids have to be fever free for 24 hours that means he can't go to school today either. We took him to the pediatrician this morning and my poor guy has his first ear infection. Thankfully he only has to miss 1 day of school since he has the next week off for parent/teacher conferences and school holidays.

The pizza bread is fantastic too! Every time we are in B/N to visit I have to stop by Avantis at least once. Where in northern IL are you? We're technically closer to WI than Chicago where we are in Waukegan.

I'm in Mount Prospect in the Northwest Suburbs. I'm pretty close to chicago, about a half hour train ride. Thats neat your from waukegan! My brother use to live near there in gurnee!

I'm in Mount Prospect in the Northwest Suburbs. I'm pretty close to chicago, about a half hour train ride. Thats neat your from waukegan! My brother use to live near there in gurnee!

We end up near Mount Prospect from time to time - we love going to the Mitsuwa Marketplace in Arlington Heights, and to IKEA.

We were finally done with everything we wanted to do for now in Town Square, so it was time to travel up Main Street, USA and have the required PhotoPass pictures taken

My mom absolutely hates this picture, but I really think that it captures what this trip was all about - spending time together, and showing the boys the wonder that is Disney World

Requisite Castle picture. I hadn't planned on taking the picture at first, but as we were turning the corner to head to the bridge into Tomorrowland I paused to take it, and I'm really happy I did.

I power walked ahead of the group a little bit and grabbed FastPasses for Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin that would be ready in only a little bit.

But first it was time for Ian and Logan's first official Disney attraction - The People Mover!

All six of us fit into one car, which was a bit snug, but also a lot of fun. The boys loved the ride!

Then it was time for lunch. We were hungry and didn't want to wander far, which meant that lunch would be another first for us - Cosmic Ray's. It was really crowded, but we were able to snag a table inside. It was a tight fit for 4 adult meals on the tiny table with 6 of us sitting around it, but we made it work just fine.

After lunch (sorry, I can't remember exactly what we all ate at this particular meal, but we all liked our food a lot) it was time for our Buzz FPs! This has been a family favorite ride for years, often riding at least twice on every trip to the Magic Kingdom.

Our ride pictures:

Such intense concentration!

Ian was helping to steer Grandma and Grandpa's car

This was when I fell in love with PhotoPass+. It was super easy to have the ride pictures added to our card, and even when we rode participating rides at different times we just collected all of the picture numbers and added them all during one stop to the photo counter instead of stopping after every time we rode.

Then we decided to split off from mom and dad. Where to next? Sorcerers or more Princesses?

I'm sorry that it has been a week since I updated - both boys are currently battling double ear infections and I haven't had much time to sit and write. I hope to post later tonight, or tomorrow.

I'm sorry that it has been a week since I updated - both boys are currently battling double ear infections and I haven't had much time to sit and write. I hope to post later tonight, or tomorrow.

Oh no! Poor babies! That's the worst. I'm loving your trip report!

Great update (sorry slow in getting over here...was away for the weekend visiting the newlyweds).

I love the photopass pictures, and fun pictures on the People Mover and Buzz. :thumbsup2

Oh no! Poor babies! That's the worst. I'm loving your trip report!

Thankfully they are doing a lot better (Ian is done with his antibiotics and Logan only has 6 more doses). And thanks! I've been having a lot of fun writing it because it I shelling me to remember all of the little memories I might have forgotten otherwise.

Great update (sorry slow in getting over here...was away for the weekend visiting the newlyweds).

I love the photopass pictures, and fun pictures on the People Mover and Buzz. :thumbsup2

I hope it was a great trip visiting family! My brother and Rochelle visited us earlier this month to help us put some Christmas lights up on our roof that we couldn't take care of on our own.

--------------

I hope to return to start posting regularly during the time Ian is at preschool and Logan is taking a nap. I had been updating after they had gone to bed for the night, but lately I have been using that time to workout using the Wii Fit U video game. I'm usually too brain dead to sit at my computer after I'm done, and my TR sits collecting dust.

I've also been trying to work through my long commission list, and I've made some progress, but I've needed to stay away from my computer to need to focus on crocheting. I'm working on finding a better balance between work, child wrangling, exercise, and online time, but it will take a bit to get it right.

During the times we split off as smaller groups I don't have the greatest details of where Brandon and Rochelle went, but I can piece a pretty good idea together based upon our text messages and the time stamps on their pictures.

They also had the required Photopass pictures taken in front of the castle

I think this is my absolute favorite picture of them together

They started their trip around the Magic Kingdom by going the opposite direction. Their first destination: Jungle Cruise

While over in the area they also rode Splash Mountain, but because I had the PP+ card they weren't able to pick up their ride picture, so they wrote down the number so someone could come back to the gift shop.

They spotted Woody and Jessie near the Splash Mountain queue, but none of us got a chance to make it over that way while they were there.

Then they headed to Haunted Mansion and walked through the new extended queue. (The line must have been moving quickly because they didn't take any pictures).

They finished up in Liberty Square and headed into Fantasyland shortly after we finished up with our lunches went in different directions.

After lunch Mom and Dad took Ian and Logan on the People Mover again, and Logan fell asleep shortly after they were done. Ian followed suit and fell asleep before they made it to Frontierland.

Would we meet up as a family before dinner? Just some of us, or all of us?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter