• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OK DISers. Do you know someone personally that has the Virus?

Do You know someone personally with the Virus?

• yes

Votes: 273 55.3%
  • no

Votes: 203 41.1%
  • other

Votes: 18 3.6%

• Total voters
I actually told my two brothers when they stopped over earlier that I would ask this question on my "worldly" DIS so here it is.

Right now, I don't know anyone in my family or circuit of friends that have the Coronavirus.

*** Edited to add......I really do use your replies and thoughts to gauge what can be going on in our world. Many of your replies and opinions over my 20 years here have been very helpful and insightful. Thank you. :goodvibes
I do know someone who is currently hospitalized with Covid19. He and his roommates were sick with a cough and fever for several weeks, one recovered, the other still had symptoms. . He got worse and went to the ER and was diagnosed with Covid19 and pneumonia. He was in ICU and on a respirator for several days, but is now off the respirator and doing well. One roommate was tested and the result was negative. The health Dept opted not to test the other roommate because that person was currently asymptomatic. The roommates are still quarantined.

DH's coworker has been sick with flu-like symptoms, but, as if today, has not been able to get tested.

I know I’m having trouble convincing one of my 23 year olds that this is serious and he needs to isolate. I’m very frustrated by it and am to the point that I feel I need to tell him that he can’t come for visits if he refuses to stay out of public places.

I saw some interesting data out of S Korea which showed the 20-29 age group as the age group with the percentage of highest positive tests.

Here is SK info - https://www.cdc.go.kr/board/board.es?mid=a30402000000&bid=0030

SK 20-29 group is the largest positive group and no fatalities.

I told my 20 and 22 year old to go have fun, but use caution and practice good hygiene. They are not allowed near their 81 year old grandmother until this is over.

Here is SK info - https://www.cdc.go.kr/board/board.es?mid=a30402000000&bid=0030

SK 20-29 group is the largest positive group and no fatalities.

I told my 20 and 22 year old to go have fun, but use caution and practice good hygiene. They are not allowed near their 81 year old grandmother until this is over.

That’s what I’m struggling with. If he goes out and chooses not to isolate, then he really shouldn’t be around the family. His twin brother, who lives with us, has asthma and on his best day has the lungs of a 70 year old with COPD. And then there’s his grandparents. I’m not worried about his health. It’s that he could be an asymptomatic carrier. I hate telling him not to visit, but these are really crazy times.

No, but I'm worried sick that my daughters may get it. One is a respiratory therapist, and the other one does x-ray. I have asthma so I know how important their job is to help everyone.

North East Ohio is testing anyone with symptoms as long as you have a drs order. And getting one is not difficult. No travel history or exposure necessary.

Ohio also just ordered all bars and restaurants closed at 9pm tonight indefinitely. Carry out and delivery only.

That’s what I’m struggling with. If he goes out and chooses not to isolate, then he really shouldn’t be around the family. His twin brother, who lives with us, has asthma and on his best day has the lungs of a 70 year old with COPD. And then there’s his grandparents. I’m not worried about his health. It’s that he could be an asymptomatic carrier. I hate telling him not to visit, but these are really crazy times.

It is a hard decision and he can't be around his brother. At the same time we have to assume that everyone has this virus and use caution when around people.

FYI, if any person young or old smokes or vapes they are considered high risk as well. This is one of the reasons Italy and the Netherlands are having younger patients in ICU.

Who knows? As I mentioned in an earlier thread, my daughter became ill a couple of weeks ago. She tutors foreign students in Florida on golf programs. Her student, from South Korea, was ill. Unfortunately, he did not tell her in advance. The golf students live in a group home run by the program. As it turns out, they had just had several new students arrive from South Korea. One of them was ill.

So, two days after the lesson, DD started running a fever, coughing and was generally miserable. She is on an immune suppressant for Lupus, so her doctor called in an antibiotic for her. She did not see the doctor. She was pretty ill for about five days and then began improving.

About two days after DD became ill, I started feeling bad. I ran a fever of about 103, had a cough and body aches. Because I am doing chemo for Stage 4 breast cancer, my oncologist called in a strong antibiotic to ward off any secondary infection. After 3 days on the antibiotic, I was having breathing issues. I saw my doctor, who said I had bronchitis. She was concerned that it could become lower lobe pneumonia, so she switched me to a z-pack and steriods. It has been close to two weeks. I am feeling much better, although the cough is still awful. I was not tested. The doctor said the tests weren't available.

In the brief period where DD was beginning to feel better and before I started feeling bad, we had dinner with friends from Missouri. My friend, who has been battling Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, came down with the exact symptoms that DD and I had. She saw her doctor, who tried to get her tested for Covid-19, but the health department said she did not meet all the criteria for testing (no direct contact with someone who had it and not having been outside the country). Her doctor seems to think she would test positive if they could obtain testing.

So, did we have it? Who knows? It was really nasty stuff. We had all had our flu shots (I know that the shots weren't a good match this year). Either way, we are staying in and avoiding others. Based on how both DD and I reacted to whatever we had, we really don't need anything else.

Who knows? As I mentioned in an earlier thread, my daughter became ill a couple of weeks ago. She tutors foreign students in Florida on golf programs. Her student, from South Korea, was ill. Unfortunately, he did not tell her in advance. The golf students live in a group home run by the program. As it turns out, they had just had several new students arrive from South Korea. One of them was ill.

So, two days after the lesson, DD started running a fever, coughing and was generally miserable. She is on an immune suppressant for Lupus, so her doctor called in an antibiotic for her. She did not see the doctor. She was pretty ill for about five days and then began improving.

About two days after DD became ill, I started feeling bad. I ran a fever of about 103, had a cough and body aches. Because I am doing chemo for Stage 4 breast cancer, my oncologist called in a strong antibiotic to ward off any secondary infection. After 3 days on the antibiotic, I was having breathing issues. I saw my doctor, who said I had bronchitis. She was concerned that it could become lower lobe pneumonia, so she switched me to a z-pack and steriods. It has been close to two weeks. I am feeling much better, although the cough is still awful. I was not tested. The doctor said the tests weren't available.

In the brief period where DD was beginning to feel better and before I started feeling bad, we had dinner with friends from Missouri. My friend, who has been battling Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, came down with the exact symptoms that DD and I had. She saw her doctor, who tried to get her tested for Covid-19, but the health department said she did not meet all the criteria for testing (no direct contact with someone who had it and not having been outside the country). Her doctor seems to think she would test positive if they could obtain testing.

So, did we have it? Who knows? It was really nasty stuff. We had all had our flu shots (I know that the shots weren't a good match this year). Either way, we are staying in and avoiding others. Based on how both DD and I reacted to whatever we had, we really don't need anything else.

Glad you and your daughter are getting better.

Glad everyone is improving What an experience Sounds like from your history you could have had it. The golf students should have shared that info with your daughter.
This lack of testing just because of not meeting the criteria? Just is frustrating.
Did they order a Chest Xray to confirm pneumonia on you?
A missed opportunity IMO to trace it back form all 3 of you.
Stay well!

Soon we will know someone directly or be affected ourselves I believe. This virus just seems to have an exponential growth pattern. I was just watching TV where there was an expert virologist on and he had a very good point which is actually very frightening. The number of cases that are reported today is basically a snapshot of the past.
The figures we get reported today are basically the figures for over a week ago. It totally makes logical sense.The current testing philosophy is a person show symptoms, gets tested and gets results. This can take over a week for this process One needs to backtrack the timeline when all this takes place. So a person that gets a positive result today has actually been passing the virus around for at least the past week. He also mentioned that as an example a kindergarten kid that has the virus and shows no symptoms has the potential to infect over 3000 people, based on exponential spread.

We both got sick after our middle Dec WDW trip. Bill was sick first, very bad cough, chest congestion, but little or no fever. His lasted to about Christmas, when I started the same symptoms. I went to my PCP on Jan 2 and they said I didn't have the flu (not the right symptoms) and decided it was bronchitis, but not really. My cough also lasted about two weeks. Our son went to Barcelona the last week of Feb for a school class for a week and was sick five days after returning back to Miami. He called me and told me he was sick. I told him to call his doctor, tell him the symptoms and that he had been in Spain. He was tested for flu and it was positive. They game him Tamiflu and sent him home. He's still coughing, but fever is gone. His job won't let anyone return to work with a cough, so he's worried about money right now. Graduation is supposed to be April 26 and he doesn't know what is going to happen with that either.

So two of us might have had a light case of the virus, but we're not sure. Our son was lucky to leave Spain when he did because they now have the fifth highest number of cases in the world.

Soon we will know someone directly or be affected ourselves I believe. This virus just seems to have an exponential growth pattern. I was just watching TV where there was an expert virologist on and he had a very good point which is actually very frightening. The number of cases that are reported today is basically a snapshot of the past.
The figures we get reported today are basically the figures for over a week ago. It totally makes logical sense.The current testing philosophy is a person show symptoms, gets tested and gets results. This can take over a week for this process One needs to backtrack the timeline when all this takes place. So a person that gets a positive result today has actually been passing the virus around for at least the past week. He also mentioned that as an example a kindergarten kid that has the virus and shows no symptoms has the potential to infect over 3000 people, based on exponential spread.
Watch the video by Dr John Campbell of UK
With so many not being tested in the US as several wrote abt on the DIS It's impossible to know with any degree of accuracy real numbers. I just know every day that the numbers are higher than being reported. Your first line says it All Mousefan73.

I know a lot of people who think they have it but none have been tested. My son got the runaround. Call the ER, call the PCP, call the walk-in care. He has a cough but no fever so it is not likely anyway. All his roommates have the same symptoms. My daughter and family were just tested for flu and came up positive for Type A. Last month the kids had Type B. Flu shot seems to be a poor match this year and lots of people are sick with the flu as well, which is compounding everyone's anxiety.

We got word today that my husband lost 2 Aunts and a cousin in Italy.
His Aunts were early 70’s, and his cousin in his 50’s. he has other family still sick, and we are unsure if any others will pass. We spoke through FaceTime with family there, and I cried to hear what they are Living.

I have met them, they came to my wedding, but they honestly are a very large family, so I’m having trouble putting faces to names. We were saddened to hear, and quite honestly all three went through hell With it. I have an immune disorder, am just, like just off prednisone, so I will be taking no chances and will be staying as close to home as possible.

My DH has a coworker who suspects she has it. He has not had in person interaction with her in a month though (they work in different locations). She apparently has all of the coronavirus symptoms, but Drs won't test her because they have no tests available yet. She did not have contact with someone who she knew was recently in any of the hot spot areas, so hers would be a community transmission case.
I believe you and I are in the same state.

Right now I think we have 12 confirmed (well... some of those are presumptive positive) cases but I agree that without more (many more) tests being performed, that's a very inaccurate number.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter