OK DISers. Do you know someone personally that has the Virus?

Do You know someone personally with the Virus?

• yes

Votes: 273 55.3%
  • no

Votes: 203 41.1%
  • other

Votes: 18 3.6%

• Total voters
Well... found out today that the man who visited WDW and USO and recently died of COVID-19 was a family friend of DH's supervisor. That feels weirdly too close for comfort because now it's not just generic acquaintances or "just a mild case" any more.
He also had underlying health factors.

He also had underlying health factors.
Yes, and he, for whatever reasons, chose to fly across the country when he knew he was already coughing up blood. But that doesn't make him more "unknown" or "generic" -- his town is where we go sometimes for shopping and other errands. The unfamiliar is becoming the familiar. It's very strange and a bit unsettling.

Okay, so not someone I know personally. My daughter just texted me and said that a friend of hers from middle and high school has it and he's on a respirator. Lives in my town. My DD is 28 so, she hasn't had contact with him since they all went off to college, but learned about it through the Facebook connections. As far as we know, no underlying health issues. I remember from middle school and high school that he was one of the best runners on track.

Chicago.

No, we don't know anyone - that's been tested. I know people who had low fevers, sore throats, etc. but didn't go get tested because they recovered fine.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I believe DD and I both had it. She had contact with a student from South Korea who was ill. He lives in a group home for golf students. They had recently had a number of new students arrive and some were ill.

One thing that really stood out for me was the incredible wheezing. It was loud enough that my daughter could hear it when I sat in a chair across from her. It was very hard to sleep. I had to sit up in order to breath. If I tried to lie down, I would hear this intense rasping noise and whistling each time I took a breath.

It is now three weeks since I came down with this (whatever it was). I feel much better, but I still have a crazy cough. I can't lie on my right side because of the deep rattling when I try to breath. I am sure I will eventually get past this, but it has been bad. Of course, my situation has been somewhat worse because I am on chemo medication, but I can honestly say that this is the sickest I've been for a very long time. I had the Swine Flu back in the 70s. This was worse.

Unfortunately, because of the difficulty in obtaining testing, we will never know if a lot of people actually had it.

My cousin (55) is in an ICU on a respirator, waiting test results. My husband's boss (50) was taken to the ER today and admitted, he was tested a couple days ago when symptoms first started, but we haven't heard results. I'm assuming they both have it, but waiting for the actual confirmation.
Prayers for all who are sick.

My cousin (55) is in an ICU on a respirator, waiting test results. My husband's boss (50) was taken to the ER today and admitted, he was tested a couple days ago when symptoms first started, but we haven't heard results. I'm assuming they both have it, but waiting for the actual confirmation.
Prayers for all who are sick.

Posts like this just make me want to cry. :sad1:

Its interesting to me to read of the posters who wonder if they have had it.

I have been wondering too! We flew home from Disney on Jan. 22. About a week later, I was pretty sick, fever, chills, coughing and the worst aches that I have ever had in my life. I went through 7 months of chemo back in 2011-2012 and had terrible aches and pains, but they were nothing compared to what I had with this flu.

I could breath fine, but wheezed and rattled. When I laid down on the couch, I couldn't hear the TV over my own rattling in my chest. It was so bizarre and something I had never experienced. I actually did an audio on my phone of the sounds coming out of body every time I exhaled because it didn't sound human.

I assumed that I had the regular flu. I never went to the Dr. because I know for Tami-flu to work, (for the regular flu) it was to be within 48 hours of the symptoms and I was past that, when I started to get really uncomfortable.

Neither my husband or son had any symptoms. I did pretty much stay in the family room, even sleeping on the couch, so I was separated from them a little.

I keep telling myself that it couldn't be Covid-19, because late January/early Feb. was too early to have it here. Now after reading about other posters having similar experiences, it makes me wonder!

When I came home from DIs on March 13 had mild blahs for a few days. Ok now, but still in “incubation” period, evidently, plus spent a few days at office that following week. Thanks to my selfish clueless management Team.

I presumptively have it. I was told there’s not really a point to testing right now because I am not a front line health care worker and my symptoms are very mild. There isn’t really a treatment for Covid-19 at this point, other than support. My doctor’s office told me to go to the ER if I felt in danger of “respiratory collapse”. My husband’s a doctor though, so I feel safe at home.

My toddler just started with a low grade fever but he has zero symptoms. He is mad I won’t let him play in the backyard,

In NYC—my FB friend posted a few days ago he tested positive. His gf came down with same symptoms but couldn’t get tested but presumed to also have it. As an aside, my friend’s GP had to stop testing for it because they didn’t have the ability to do it safely. A friend of a friend is 44 and has it and is now on a ventilator. And on a personal note, at the end of February i came down with a fever, cough and crazy fatigue. Dragged myself to urgent care on 3rd day to check if it was the flu (so I could keep asymptomatic kids home if it was) and flu and strep tests negative. At that time i was told i likely had one of many other winter viruses but in retrospect, who knows! COVID-19 was apparently definitely in Manhattan by then even though at that time they were only looking at people who just returned from China...I hope we’re also close on a test to see if we have the antibodies for it, so that we know whether we’re likely immune even if at the time we didn’t we had it.

Well now my sister, her husband and one of her daughters have head congestion and mild fevers. I don't think those are symptoms that would get them tested.

I had a horrible sinus type infection this week - headache into my teeth, sinus drainage and tired. I don't think I had a fever and I don't think it was covid due to symptoms. I feel fine now! :)

Last edited:
The person I know finally went to the hospital. She is still waiting on her test results from 4 days ago and that was her second test. The first one came back “faulty.”

Hospital checked her out, gave her meds and sent her home. I hope she will be ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter