OK, I'll say it... we are too sensitive

I did want to respond to those who see Confederate and other types of statues as "preserving our history."

We don't need those statues. Touring plantations can still be done, as it was a large factor in our history. But it should be done with sensitivity and highlighting the horrors that went along with it. Battlefields where the Civil War played out should absolutely be preserved as well. We should maintain museums and homes of Civil War actors, to understand their motives so society never repeats them. But statues of people who actively tried to keep slavery around? That's not "history," that's hero worship of some of our country's worst moments.

"Right not everyone at that time was a racist." Thank you. That has been my point all along. Many people knew, and did better.

And you can't suppose to know how people lived back then. You have no idea how they felt, how they cared for each other, how they loved their neighbors. Songs may be entertainment, but racist songs are only entertaining to racists.

The rest of your post? I don't need your morality lessons. I'm quite comfortable with where I stand.

Well, that's obvious LOL. That's okay, I prefer to have discussion with people that are actually open to it.

Well, that's obvious LOL. That's okay, I prefer to have discussion with people that are actually open to it.

It's all already been discussed - you didn't contribute anything new to the conversation.

But if you'd like, I'd be willing to have a conversation with you about how entertaining racist songs are.

Last edited:
Meanwhile drugs keep pouring into the country, public schools continue to fail, the illegitimacy rate continues to climb, the country is increasingly amoral if not down right immoral.

If you'd like to open a thread on one of those other, totally unrelated topics, we can discuss.

My point is while we waste time dwelling on the past we don't deal with real present day issues. But by all means remove every statue, flag or song you find offensive. That's time, effort and capitol that could be better used elsewhere. After all it's much easier to take down a statue or complain about something someone did 90 YEARS AGO than deal with the real issues. No one has the guts to name, much less solve today's problems.
Personally I couldn't care less about Kate Smith, General Robert E. Lee or Nathan Bedford Forrest. I am smart enough to know that after all of these offensive things are removed some people will still not be satisfied AND the real problems will still exist.

Last edited:
My point is while we waste time dwelling on the past we don't deal with real present day issues. But by all means remove every statue, flag or song you find offensive. That's time, effort and capitol that could be better used elsewhere. After all it's much easier to take down a statue or complain about something someone did 90 YEARS AGO than deal with the real issues. No one has the guts to name, much less solve today's problems.
Personally I couldn't care less about Kate Smith, General Robert E. Lee or Nathan Bedford Forrest. I am smart enough to know that after all of these offensive things are removed some people will still not be satisfied AND the real problems will still exist.

We can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Each and every issue you listed is being addressed. Have they been eradicated? Of course not.

How much more taxes are you willing to pay in order to improve public schools FOR ALL STUDENTS?

It's not about being satisfied - it's about taking away an insult to a good deal of our population.

And taking down statues does nothing to preclude those other issues from being addressed.

We can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Each and every issue you listed is being addressed. Have they been eradicated? Of course not.

How much more taxes are you willing to pay in order to improve public schools FOR ALL STUDENTS?

Obviously we can't walk and chew gum at the same time or these problems would be getting better not worse.

Only in Government do we take a demonstrably failing effort and the only answer is to spend MORE money on it. But hey "it's for the kids" right?

I don't know, I say good riddance. Did you read the titles of those songs? They're horrendous, and I don't think a person would be either uneducated or self-absorbed to be offended by them. There were good people back then that weren't racist, and just because some were accepting of that type of music doesn't mean it was okay.

Exactly. Folks these days are so quick to rush to declare others "too sensitive" that they rarely pay attention to the actual issue. Let's think things through, folks.

Last edited:

I'd love to get to the real problem and I'm so glad that society is starting to finally call out the veiled racism that is SO prevalent still in 2019. One really interesting lesson a ton of dating in my life has made me realize is just how very many people are bigots, and just let it show to more or less degree.

I think you'd also feel really different if you lived in South, had a complicated family history in this regard, and had to drive by the flipping Nathan Bedford Forrest statue everyday and wonder if that was REALLY the best your community could do to show the world who it is. I love the South, but it's not easy.

Obviously we can't walk and chew gum at the same time or these problems would be getting better not worse.

Only in Government do we take a demonstrably failing effort and the only answer is to spend MORE money on it. But hey "it's for the kids" right?

And you think the reason for this is the taking down of statues?

I'd love to get to the real problem and I'm so glad that society is starting to finally call out the veiled racism that is SO prevalent still in 2019. One really interesting lesson a ton of dating in my life has made me realize is just how very many people are bigots, and just let it show to more or less degree.

I think you'd also feel really different if you lived in South, had a complicated family history in this regard, and had to drive by the flipping Nathan Bedford Forrest statue everyday and wonder if that was REALLY the best your community could do to show the world who it is. I love the South, but it's not easy.

I do live in the deep south. I'm very aware of the vestiges of the old south. I'm also aware that may bother someone, just not nearly as much as the crack dealer down the street, their 16 year old daughter pregnant. For the second time. Or the Fifty percent drop out rate at the local public school.

Can you please expand on this, specifically regarding feeling different if someone lived in the south and "it's not easy"? Genuinely curious as to your experiences/what you seem to be indicating about the South being so different in regards to race.

How much does it cost to remove a 1500 pound statue that's been there for 100 years? $2000.00? $10,000.00? Wouldn't that money be better spent in the school system or homeless shelter or rehab center?

Why does everyone act like money they don't want spent on something would have otherwise been spent on education, or the homeless? You left out veteran's causes. In my opinion they are ALL worthy of being funded, and no one automatically displaces another.

Why does everyone act like money they don't want spent on something would have otherwise been spent on education, or the homeless? You left out veteran's causes. In my opinion they are ALL worthy of being funded, and no one automatically displaces another.

But yet it does, because there is a finite amount of money. We have people literally dying in the streets from drugs and crime and you're worried about a statue that may hurt someone's feelings. What I find amusing is because of the revisionist history being taught in failing public schools, it has to be pointed out that they should be offended and outraged. Isn't that the very definition of irony? Reminds me of someone painting a house that's on fire.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter