OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

I want to book a 1BR for OKW at the end of March. I know it is spring break but I'm a teacher so what can you do. It will just be myself and DH. First time at OKW (home is SSR even though we've only stayed there 2x). I'm trying to talk my daughter into bringing my grandsons (who would be 4 and 1.5) but don't know yet if she will.
I don't know what to request (HH is still open for booking even though I can't book for 9 more days). We don't rent a car so we'll be dependent on the busses if my daughter doesn't come along, so a bus stop is a big deal. We also like to swim; the quiet pool at the Polynesian opened at 7 when we were there about 10 days ago and that was nice. We want to check out Olivia's. We also like sitting on the balcony/patio.
One of my friends suggested Turtle Pond if we don't get the near HH category. I just don't want to get lost or shut out of a bus, even though I know you can walk to a different bus stop if you know what you are doing.
Any suggestions?

I want to book a 1BR for OKW at the end of March. I know it is spring break but I'm a teacher so what can you do. It will just be myself and DH. First time at OKW (home is SSR even though we've only stayed there 2x). I'm trying to talk my daughter into bringing my grandsons (who would be 4 and 1.5) but don't know yet if she will.
I don't know what to request (HH is still open for booking even though I can't book for 9 more days). We don't rent a car so we'll be dependent on the busses if my daughter doesn't come along, so a bus stop is a big deal. We also like to swim; the quiet pool at the Polynesian opened at 7 when we were there about 10 days ago and that was nice. We want to check out Olivia's. We also like sitting on the balcony/patio.
One of my friends suggested Turtle Pond if we don't get the near HH category. I just don't want to get lost or shut out of a bus, even though I know you can walk to a different bus stop if you know what you are doing.
Any suggestions?
The buses go around the resort. There are bus stops near each area. We never had a problem catching a bus from Turtle Pond. Although they are reducing the capacity of the buses so now may be a different story.

Another option would be to stay at HH or Peninsular Rd. They are very close to each other. The first bus stop is Peninsular Rd and Headed home. is the last. Most people staying at HH usually get off at Peninsular Rd and walk over to HH so they don’t have to ride the bus around the resort. The bus should have availability there.

Any suggestions?

I forget where Turtle Pond is in the bus rotation( maybe 2nd?), but I do know that HH was the last stop out and there were many times our bus wouldn't even stop at HH due to already being at capacity.

We LOVE Turtle Pond--especially if you are close to the quiet pool( Building #'s in the 40's, not the 30's). It sounds like a good destination for you!

Any suggestions?
If you have a one bedroom or larger, Turtle Pond and South Point will have the extra door through the back of the laundry room to the toilet and shower in the master bathroom. Otherwise, guests in the living room are going through the master bedroom to get to the bathroom at night.

If you have a one bedroom or larger, Turtle Pond and South Point will have the extra door through the back of the laundry room to the toilet and shower in the master bathroom. Otherwise, guests in the living room are going through the master bedroom to get to the bathroom at night.
Turtle Pond is always our first request because of this. We always need the walkthrough. My wife, daughter and grandaughter always camp out in the master as the bed is big enough for two grownups and a toddlertinker. I always just use the pull out chair as it has always been so comfortable. Our second request is close to transportation. The last two times we were put in building 32 which was perfect. Bus stop right out in front, and a less than ten minute walk at the end of the night from the Gurgling Suitcase (HH).

Staying at OKW the week before thanksgiving. Any idea if it will be decorated for Christmas by then?

If you have never been to OKW during the holidays, you'll find that they don't "over-decorate." Light poles are wrapped with lighted garlands. garlands on the bridge, the lobby has a tasteful tree and garlands, and the flowerbeds near hospitality are filled with poinsettias. Remember, by default OKW is a tropical themed, so mostly simple holiday décor like the real Key West. And holiday music on the resort speakers.

Hello! We will be in a 2 bedroom at OKW on Oct 3-5. Never been there!
we will have a car. Can someone be kind enough to explain parking?
Complete OKW newbies, coming from 2 weeks at the Vistana.
pour priority would be waterview, secluded, quiet.
Best areas/buildings?
and how are room requests handled?

Hello! We will be in a 2 bedroom at OKW on Oct 3-5. Never been there!
we will have a car. Can someone be kind enough to explain parking?
Complete OKW newbies, coming from 2 weeks at the Vistana.
pour priority would be waterview, secluded, quiet.
Best areas/buildings?
and how are room requests handled?
Each area has it’s own parking area so you should be able to park reasonably close to your unit.
There are two reservation types if you are DVC. Hospitality House (HH) is close to the main pool, check in area and dining. I stayed HH one time and parking was difficult sometimes. I think a lot of people drive up to the main pool during the day. HH is only available when the reservation is booked through DVC. Of the other areas, I have only stayed at Turtle Pond Rd. We actually liked it better than HH. It was nice having the quiet pool so nearby.
IMO, the main drawback to OKW is the QS food options. There is no inside seating available for QS. Also not very convenient if not staying at HH. You might want to bring some snacks and drinks for your room. One of the advantages of OKW I’d you have a car is you can drive to S Apopka Vineland Rd and pick up food. We like to pick up Giordano’s pizza when we are there. I have also ran to McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts while my family was getting ready. They also have charcoal grills you can use there. We have always been in a studio so cooking wasn’t really an option for us.
OKW is a great resort. It is more quiet and laid back than most of the other resorts. It’s a quick drive to DS also. Have fun and enjoy your trip.

I rented through an owner, and requested STAndard view, which was the only option besides HH. We will be moving over from the Vistana after 2 weeks for 2 nights and will probably have lots of food left before getting on the auto train on the 5th. We’ll probably do Olivias and whatever TS in DS we haven’t had. Or want to repeat for main meals. On the map, are bodies of water the gray? What are regarded as the best water view buildings? Are all buildings open? And how does one make room requests? Thanks so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter