Our VRBO won’t give us a refund

Well none that you listed are accurate, because they are all currently giving full refunds???

Which again is the point. They are waiving their policies because they do good business.
Listen, don't call me a liar. I got my information from their websites. If they are doing something outside of what is listed on their website that's on them not me. You asked someone to name one and we did. I can't help it if those companies are doing something not listed on their website. How am I supposed to know that or control that? Don't shoot the darn messenger for pete's sake.

Hilton: https://www.hilton.com/en/corporate/coronavirus/

Marriott: https://news.marriott.com/news/2020/03/13/travel-information-covid-19-update

Wynn: https://wynninfo.com/faqs/

Sandals: https://www.sandals.com/coronavirus-info/

Listen, don't call me a liar. I got my information from their websites. If they are doing something outside of what is listed on their website that's on them not me. You asked someone to name one and we did. I can't help it if those companies are doing something not listed on their website. How am I supposed to know that or control that? Don't shoot the darn messenger for pete's sake.

Hilton: https://www.hilton.com/en/corporate/coronavirus/

Marriott: https://news.marriott.com/news/2020/03/13/travel-information-covid-19-update

Wynn: https://wynninfo.com/faqs/

Sandals: https://www.sandals.com/coronavirus-info/

I'm not calling you a liar at all, my apologies if it came across that way. Agree you just quoted what is on their website.

I just meant they are waiving these policies because they shouldn't apply here. Which is why they are not getting roasted like vrbo.

Currently, for this? All of them. Name one that isn't?

Well, yes, now most of the travel industry in general is waiving their regular rules.

People were complaining about VRBO and a pp said the way to go is to use a nice hotel that offers cancellation up until check in, as if this is a possible tip to follow for future travel plans.
If there is a hotel chain that offers this as a regular rule, I'd like to know.

Last edited:

Hilton hotels. I'm a honors member. Oh that's free by the way.

This is absolutely not true in regards to up to check-in Hilton being fully refundable. I'm a diamond member. Years ago most the big names went to 2-3 day cancellation windows.

This is absolutely not true in regards to up to check-in Hilton being fully refundable. I'm a diamond member. Years ago most the big names went to 2-3 day cancellation windows.
tDisney.thats funny I booked on the web site. Checked fully refundable .

tDisney.thats funny I booked on the web site. Checked fully refundable .

Some properties do have different cancellation windows (and I assume policies might have changed as a result of the current state of things) in different locations. Higher traffic locations tend to have the 3 day cancellation windows and lower traffic locations a 1 day cancellation, get in a resort area and it might be a 7 day cancellation. Are there rates you could choose that are fully refundable up to check-in, absolutely but you are paying a premium for those just like buying a refundable airline ticket. For the past few years I have booked most of my hotels last minute as my business travel changes a lot and don't want to get stuck with the charge of 1 night (which is typically the penalty). When I have had to cancel last minute generally if you state that you are having travel difficulties or explain your situation to the manager at the local hotel (don't just call the global Hilton number) they will make exceptions. But it is most certainly an exception.

I disagree.

Excerpt from the email Hilton sent to all members on this past Thursday 3/12...

Your Travel Flexibility

We remain committed to offering you flexible booking options. Given these unique circumstances we are making additional adjustments to our individual booking policies to give you extra peace of mind:

• Government Restrictions. In regions affected by government-issued travel restrictions, we will continue to waive change fees or offer full refunds. Please click here for the latest information on our travel waivers.
  • Existing Reservations. All reservations – even those described as "non-cancellable" (“Advanced Purchase”) – that are scheduled for arrival before April 30, 2020, can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival.
  • New Reservations. Any reservation you make – even those described as “non-cancellable” (“Advanced Purchase”) – that are booked between today and April 30, 2020, for any future arrival date, can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival.

Even with the virus still a 24 hour cancellation window

Excerpt from the email Hilton sent to all members on this past Thursday 3/12...

Your Travel Flexibility

We remain committed to offering you flexible booking options. Given these unique circumstances we are making additional adjustments to our individual booking policies to give you extra peace of mind:

• Government Restrictions. In regions affected by government-issued travel restrictions, we will continue to waive change fees or offer full refunds. Please click here for the latest information on our travel waivers.
  • Existing Reservations. All reservations – even those described as "non-cancellable" (“Advanced Purchase”) – that are scheduled for arrival before April 30, 2020, can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival.
  • New Reservations. Any reservation you make – even those described as “non-cancellable” (“Advanced Purchase”) – that are booked between today and April 30, 2020, for any future arrival date, can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival.

Laugh out loud. Didn't get that. Thank you. I'm dead wrong. Thank you.

I pointed that out earlier and was told they were giving full refunds no matter what..dunno who is right who is wrong.

The initial comment was about refunds given up to check in time and that all hotel companies were doing that..

I pointed that out earlier and was told they were giving full refunds no matter what..dunno who is right who is wrong.

The initial comment was about refunds given up to check in time and that all hotel companies were doing that..

I think pretty much like anything if you talk to the right person (at a large corporation) and explain your situation you will absolutely get a full refund regardless of your cancellation window especially in conditions like we are experiencing now. Thus why I recommend always calling the property directly vs just the global number for a chain and explaining your situation. I have always had good luck with Hilton in this manner as the global number typically just touts whatever cancellation window is in my reservation but the local manager is generally always more than willing to help.

I think pretty much like anything if you talk to the right person (at a large corporation) and explain your situation you will absolutely get a full refund regardless of your cancellation window especially in conditions like we are experiencing now. Thus why I recommend always calling the property directly vs just the global number for a chain and explaining your situation. I have always had good luck with Hilton in this manner as the global number typically just touts whatever cancellation window is in my reservation but the local manager is generally always more than willing to help.
Oh I would totally call up myself as well just to ask see what's possible. Lots of businesses do operate on having a policy out there, so its known. And in times like this people want to know what policy a company has so they can make informed decisions. Certaintly an individual location could have more leeway.

Right now my husband has a Hampton Inn reservation for 2 weeks from now. It's a mission critical business meeting but he knows and they all know it could get cancelled. Its really on GE's side (General Electric) for if they want the meeting to continue but this meeting if it doesn't occur delays the starting of the power plant being built and has other ramifications. This time the admins booked it rather than my husband booking it himself through the travel portal but they may have to cancel in a moment's notice so we'll see.

I use Expedia. Generally, I only book hotels that allow cancellations up to the night before or sometimes the day of. I pay a little more, but it is worth it. Had to cancel a couple at the last minute this year.

With VRBO, I had our seniors booked in a house for their senior trip. Several had generous cancellation windows. Ours was this Wednesday. After consulting with the other parents we cancelled. Won't get our money back for 5_7 days, bit at least we get it back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter