Photo Sharing: Pentax

I ended up giving up on the DSLR. I've switched back to mirrorless. For my family and vacation photos it's all I need. I have been beaten up by health issues this past year and just don't feel like carrying a heavier camera any more. I'm still recovering from major back surgery and over the Christmas holidays I had an ICD device implanted in my chest. I have lots of PVC's and went through an EP study of the heart. The doctor was able to kick my heart in VTAC and I had to be defibrilated. I guess I can look at it like a big life insurance.

Anyway, that's why I haven't been around much. I've been busy with doctors. I get a few more weeks to recover and then we're heading to Disney. I need a vacation!

I'm sorry for all the rambling.

Trust me, I know what you mean! I wasn't around for awhile either. This was my first racing type shoot since October. I had a total knee replacement that went south in a hurry. A lot of bad things happened and I am just happy to be here. My stamina is not quite up to snuff yet. I'm hoping covering Snocross will help so by the time the cars hit the track I will be back to full strength. Good luck with your recovery and have fun with the mirrorless. With the advancements they have made, those cameras are producing some stunning images.

Yes they have. I picked up the Fuji XE2 which I really like. The camera is straight forward, you have a aperture ring on the lens and dials for shutter and exposure comp. The JPGs are amazing but LR struggles with the RAW files. Fuji uses their X Trans sensor which uses a different filter array. I actually had the XE2 and Sony A7 FF for a week and decided to purchase the Fuji. Shooting both, i thought the Fuji files looked just as good as the A7 ones. I don't print large or need super shallow DOF. I'm still trying to figure out all the FF hype. I can say the Fuji lenses are top notch and are very sharp wide open.

Hey everybody!

I just picked up a used Pentax K30 for pretty cheap. I've been a Sony shooter for years but frankly, the low ISO performance is starting to get old. I've read a lot of great things about Pentax camera and decided to test the waters with the K30. Theoretically it should be a better ISO performer than my Sony a58 so I'm hoping to get nice results on Dark Rides.

I picked up a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 as a general kit lens. I also bought some 80's MF lenses. I bought the 28mm f/2.8 macro and a Pentax M 50mm f/2.0 to practice manual focusing. I have the Pentax 35mm DA L F2.4 AL coming in the mail also.

Anyone have any suggestions on lenses? I'm not crazy about the speed of f/2.4 but I like the 35mm focal length. What would you guys suggest for dark ride lenses? Thanks!

Hey everybody!

I just picked up a used Pentax K30 for pretty cheap. I've been a Sony shooter for years but frankly, the low ISO performance is starting to get old. I've read a lot of great things about Pentax camera and decided to test the waters with the K30. Theoretically it should be a better ISO performer than my Sony a58 so I'm hoping to get nice results on Dark Rides.

I picked up a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 as a general kit lens. I also bought some 80's MF lenses. I bought the 28mm f/2.8 macro and a Pentax M 50mm f/2.0 to practice manual focusing. I have the Pentax 35mm DA L F2.4 AL coming in the mail also.

Anyone have any suggestions on lenses? I'm not crazy about the speed of f/2.4 but I like the 35mm focal length. What would you guys suggest for dark ride lenses? Thanks!

IMHO the gold standard for dark rides has been the Sigma 30mm f1.4. Sigma has introduced a new art line of lenses that includes a new 30. I have the older version and have been satisfied with it. Early on it had some back focus issues, but I had it calibrated by Sigma (I live 20 minutes from a Sigma Service Center) and then with my fine adjustment, I really fine tuned it. The lens that I think will work exceeding well for WDW is the Sigma 18-35 f1.8. It is getting rave reviews and is finally becoming available in the Pentax mount. That one is probably going to hurt my bank account. Here is a shot using the 30. We have a K30 amongst my group of Pentax DSLR's and I enjoy shooting with it. Good luck and have fun with it.

GMR 6 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

IMHO the gold standard for dark rides has been the Sigma 30mm f1.4. Sigma has introduced a new art line of lenses that includes a new 30. I have the older version and have been satisfied with it. Early on it had some back focus issues, but I had it calibrated by Sigma (I live 20 minutes from a Sigma Service Center) and then with my fine adjustment, I really fine tuned it. The lens that I think will work exceeding well for WDW is the Sigma 18-35 f1.8. It is getting rave reviews and is finally becoming available in the Pentax mount. That one is probably going to hurt my bank account. Here is a shot using the 30. We have a K30 amongst my group of Pentax DSLR's and I enjoy shooting with it. Good luck and have fun with it.

I currently have the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for my Sony. Based on my experiences with the Sigma, I would not buy another copy.

I really want the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8. I know I'll eventually buy it and I don't want to waste money now on the 30mm f/1.4, especially since I expect the 18-35 to be a significantly better performer. My only issue is whether to buy the 18-35mm for the Sony or the Pentax mount.

Hey everybody!

I'm a little confused and I will admit I'm not totally familiar the Sony line of cameras, however you stated you have the Sony a58. Is that the new SLT a58 that was just introduced? That camera has a 20mp sensor that one of the strong points is the usable high ISO. That should lend itself very good for lowlight shooting. The 16mp sensor (Sony sensor by the way) in the K30 is a proven winner when it comes to usable high ISO images. Its the same or similar to the one used in my K5's (and my K30). My K30 performs very well in lowlight. IMHO the only cameras that trump the 16mp cameras with the Sony sensor are full frame cameras.

I'm a little confused and I will admit I'm not totally familiar the Sony line of cameras, however you stated you have the Sony a58. Is that the new SLT a58 that was just introduced? That camera has a 20mp sensor that one of the strong points is the usable high ISO. That should lend itself very good for lowlight shooting. The 16mp sensor (Sony sensor by the way) in the K30 is a proven winner when it comes to usable high ISO images. Its the same or similar to the one used in my K5's (and my K30). My K30 performs very well in lowlight. IMHO the only cameras that trump the 16mp cameras with the Sony sensor are full frame cameras.

Yup, the a58 came out last year. The usable high ISO is relative to SLT cameras. Compared to other APS-C Sony's the ISO performance is good. However all SLT cameras have average ISO performance compared to dSLRs. With an SLT the light passes through the mirror instead of being reflected. This means that light is lost in the process. The sensor only picks up a portion of light because the mirror blocks a portion of it. Less light hitting the sensor means lower ISO performance.

I'm not sure if you put any stock in DXOMark but they rated the Sony a58 Low ISO performance at 753 and the Pentax k30 scored 1129.

Yup, the a58 came out last year. The usable high ISO is relative to SLT cameras. Compared to other APS-C Sony's the ISO performance is good. However all SLT cameras have average ISO performance compared to dSLRs. With an SLT the light passes through the mirror instead of being reflected. This means that light is lost in the process. The sensor only picks up a portion of light because the mirror blocks a portion of it. Less light hitting the sensor means lower ISO performance.

I'm not sure if you put any stock in DXOMark but they rated the Sony a58 Low ISO performance at 753 and the Pentax k30 scored 1129.

That surprises me. I know there was some loss because of the translucent "mirror", but I didn't realize it was that great. I'm not really a DXOMark guy, but prefer real life scenarios. I would prefer to look at or actually do the comparison to determine the differences/loss. I don't get wrapped around the axle with comparisons to the old film/full frame aspect/ comparisons. I don't worry about 1.5 magnification APSC to FF. I try to keep it very simple and shoot what's in my viewfinder. :rotfl2: I think you will like the usable ISO of the K30 and when it does get noisy, cleaning it up in PP works well (I use the Topaz bundle, specifically Denoise 5). Good luck with the K30. I would really like to hear about your real world comparisons.

Finally took my K30 to the parks! It was an awesome performer! I was surprised how useful the 35mm f/2.4 was.

ISO 400, f/2.4, 1/60 sec

My Sony could never do make this shot at a low ISO like that, not even opened up to f/1.4!

Finally took my K30 to the parks! It was an awesome performer! I was surprised how useful the 35mm f/2.4 was.

ISO 400, f/2.4, 1/60 sec

My Sony could never do make this shot at a low ISO like that, not even opened up to f/1.4!

Nice shot! The K30 has impressed me. I bought one for my DGD (who lives with us), as a starter DSLR and it is far from "entry level" performance. After I got used to the menu driven options (I shoot with K5's), I found it to be a great camera. Where can you find WR, the almost legendary 16mp Sony sensor and all the other high end options in a so-called entry level camera. Its a steal for anyone looking for a camera. There's not many "new" ones left out there because of its replacement the K50, but I have been contemplating getting a used one just to throw in my bag as a back up or when I really want to go light (compared to my K5's with vertical battery grips).

Nice shot! The K30 has impressed me. I bought one for my DGD (who lives with us), as a starter DSLR and it is far from "entry level" performance. After I got used to the menu driven options (I shoot with K5's), I found it to be a great camera. Where can you find WR, the almost legendary 16mp Sony sensor and all the other high end options in a so-called entry level camera. Its a steal for anyone looking for a camera. There's not many "new" ones left out there because of its replacement the K50, but I have been contemplating getting a used one just to throw in my bag as a back up or when I really want to go light (compared to my K5's with vertical battery grips).

Thanks! The camera did all the work. ;)

I picked my K30 used for just over $300 in great condition.

Unfortunately, a family member offered to take my K30 and hold on to it to "keep it safe" while I went on California Screamin'. When I was given the camera back after exiting the ride I immediately noticed the viewfinder was cracked. Apparently they accidently let the camera hit the ground and it cracked the viewfinder. Is there any way to replace it?

Yep, but its a huge PITA! I need mine replaced on my old Kx, the repair is about $90, or you can take your cahnces doing it yourself, it costs about $30

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter