Pit-Bull's...friend or foe?

Thank you for posting the link to this article.

While the article is sad & tragic, it also reinforced a lot of things for me.

In the article, the author talks about, in the initial aftermath, feeling like she couldn't trust herself to choose another dog. What if her next dog also had aggressive tendencies?

As people have pointed out, how dogs act in shelters isn't necessarily a good judge of how the dogs will act in a home.

When we decided to get a dog for our family, we went w/ a breeder for a number of reasons.

After researching dog breeds, I realized we probably wouldn't be able to find a Keeshond at a shelter. While we might have found an adult Keeshond at a rescue, we really preferred a puppy, & I wasn't sure that a rescue would approve us.

However, additionally, like the author of the article, I was worried about adopting a dog from a shelter & not being able to really know the dog's history, character/personality, & tendencies.

Having a dog become a part of one's family is a big commitment, & I wanted our journey to be successful.

(Side Note: And while I know not every dog conforms to its breed "standards," different breed characteristics stand out more. And learning about the different breeds & common personality behaviors can be beneficial when it comes to choosing the right dog for your family - because, again, you want to be successful in your commitment to the lifetime of the pet. And, really, that's kind of what this thread is about - a pit bull mix is not going to be right for everybody, &, if you're choosing a pit bull mix, you need to know what you're getting.)

I think rescues probably do a better job than shelters when it comes to learning their animals & striving to find good placements for their animals. However, rescues also can be really strict when it comes to whom they approve to adopt their animals.

W/ our family, for example, as adults, my DH & I didn't have a lot of experience w/ dogs, had a small child at the time, & did not have a fenced-in back yard. (My DH's & my dog experience came from dogs we both had growing up, & neither of us had had an inside dog which truly lived w/ our families.) Most rescues would have told us "no".

Whereas at a lot of shelters, there is limited knowledge of the dogs' background & behavior tendencies & limited screenings of the people who are choosing to adopt the dogs.

But people want dogs. People want their kids to have dogs. So they go to shelters, instead of the stricter rescues. They buy from backyard breeders and/or puppy mills, not realizing what they are supporting. I live in the South, where backyard breeders & puppy mills are common. W/o even doing a lot of thinking, I know at least 3 people who have purchased puppies from puppy mills.

At the time, we were researching dog breeds & then looking for reputable breeder, I had asked questions on the DIS, & most everyone was very critical & told me either 1 of 2 different things: (1) don't go to a breeder - go to a rescue or a shelter or (2) your family doesn't have enough experience for a puppy.

Whereas, people in our real life, when they found out how much "research" we were doing were saying things like "Y'all are crazy - just go get a dog; it's not that complicated" or "I know a place where you can get full-blooded Yorkshire terriers for $100."

Our cat, who we had had for over 18 years, came from a shelter. As a very young married couple, we walked into the shelter & walked out w/ a cat - no questions asked which was a good thing because the duplex we were renting didn't even allow pets. We got her as a kitten, & she came to us w/ cigarette burns & a crazy fear of plastic bags. The only people she ever tolerated in her life were my husband & me. She'd hiss & scratch at others. She had behavior problems, but we loved her. But she was a cat - and a small, petite cat. What we could handle in a cat, we couldn't have handled in a larger dog.

So, long story... but, for all the above reasons, we went w/ a hobby breeder & purchased a Keeshond puppy. We drove 2 1/2 hours to meet the breeder, the Keeshond mom & her puppies, & the breeder's other Keeshonden. The breeder met us, talked to us, &, after learning about us, chose the puppy from the litter for us that she thought would make the best match for our family. And then we drove back a couple of months later to pick up our puppy.

And, when our little cat, who we had had for over 18 years, died, instead of going back to a shelter, we went w/ a cat rescue 2 1/2 hours away from us (in the other direction from our Keeshond breeder) & adopted 2 bonded sisters. And the cat rescue was much stricter than the shelter. In fact, the rescuer was trying to decide between us & another family from 2 states away, so she asked us both to write a little essay w/ pictures that showed who we were as families. So, in order to adopt the 2 bonded kittens, I wrote & illustrated a "picture book".

Anyway, I wrote all this to say... it's wonderful to adopt a dog from a shelter, but you really need to know & understand what you're getting, & there are some really good reasons for going w/ a breeder as well.

I think I just really identified w/ the author of the article being worried about not trusting herself to pick out another dog.
Good post! I feel similarly. I've lived with a reactive dog (never any bites to human or animal) and I don't want to again. I've also experienced what it's like to be in a bite situation as an owner (with other dogs, which were family dogs, really, when I was young) and it's not a good place to be. Again, not going there. I'm always cognizant it could happen, but I'm going to take every possible step I can to avoid it.

I would never be for the euthanasia of any dog breed any more than I would be for the euthanasia of black cats (which also spend on average a longer time in shelters and are euthanized at higher rates).
That’s b/c ppl are ridiculous & superstitious not b/c they have a reputation for biting.

That’s b/c ppl are ridiculous & superstitious not b/c they have a reputation for biting.
The reason doesn't matter to me.

The end result is the same; advocating for the destruction of all in a specific group of animals based on characteristics. For pit bulls it's based on reputation and their physical characteristics which people associate with the name, for black cats it's the color of their fur.

If it makes you feel better about my stance I have that towards all animals not just dogs or cats.

Maybe to you the reason makes it different in your opinion though. It does not for me. YMMV.

And just as an aside while I wouldn't associate superstitiousness with advocating for the destruction of all dogs labeled pit bulls as a general comment since you said people are ridiculous for black cats one could make the case that someone who is for the destruction (or fear) of all dogs labeled pit bulls are ridiculous. That's not reflective of my actual opinion though.

Interesting but respectfully, I disagree. My beloved English bulldogs have specific characteristics bred for greater success in the bull baiting ring-wrinkles, flat nose (brachycephalic), broad chest, underbite, agility and tenacity. That said, I have been owned by 6 English bulldogs (one is snoring next to me as I type) and they demonstrated no interest in attacking anything but treats (specifically Greenies). I think this is the norm for the breed, not the exception. And yet, sadly, it's only been less than 200 years since the sport was outlawed (in 1835).
I'm guessing you're a very good and experienced English Bulldog owner who is a firm leader with them, as I am with GSDs. But from what I've read about English Bulldogs, they are mostly docile (due to selective breeding) but can have an aggressive streak, especially around food and around other animals if allowed to be dominant (which is never a good thing for a dog)?

I'm guessing you're a very good and experienced English Bulldog owner who is a firm leader with them, as I am with GSDs. But from what I've read about English Bulldogs, they are mostly docile (due to selective breeding) but can have an aggressive streak, especially around food and around other animals if allowed to be dominant (which is never a good thing for a dog)?

Thanks, I suppose after almost 25 years I am sort of experienced, lol. My English bulldog is currently alpha of our 4 (other three are pits/pit mixes) and they wait while she eats first. I do believe in recognizing the pack mentality and being the definite leader. With all of my dogs (mine and fosters) I really try to put myself in their position and determine why they behave "badly" (if they do) and how we can overcome or change that. It's work, but definitely a labor of love.

I would not want a pit bull around my dogs. If a pitbull enters the dog park I kindly take my dogs and leave. I hear too many stories about pitbulls particularly mauling people to death. Not a risk I want to take.

Thanks, I suppose after almost 25 years I am sort of experienced, lol. My English bulldog is currently alpha of our 4 (other three are pits/pit mixes) and they wait while she eats first. I do believe in recognizing the pack mentality and being the definite leader. With all of my dogs (mine and fosters) I really try to put myself in their position and determine why they behave "badly" (if they do) and how we can overcome or change that. It's work, but definitely a labor of love.
I don't know if anyone on this thread is a cat lover, but my cats have always had an alpha. Right now the queen of the pack is getting older, and is a little more tolerant of her territory, but when I introduced another cat to the household, it took a year...not an exaggeration...to get her to stop attacking the new cat. I had to supervise 24/7 and because I could't keep this up, I had to have the dominant cat sleep at my sister's to let the new one settle in. Now they are pretty good together, but I still see the new one walk very gingerly past the Queen, even though they are now on good terms. In another home, the new cat would have had to go, for her own sake as well as for the Queen. But I hung in there, and it's all worked out, but was lots and lots of work and patience.

The only biting/mauling incidents I have dealt with (in my immediate family/friend circle) are from:

Akita (dude is lucky to be alive)
German Shepherd (individual required major cosmetic surgery to repair damage)
Dalmatian (minor surgery required)
Chihuahua (stitches needed)
German Shepherd (mauled our cairn terrier who required 50+ stitches to close neck wound)

None of these were reported to "the authorities" or news outlets. I tend to think Pit attacks are the ones that are reported. Have also had "aggressive" dogs lunge or snap at me (Great Dane, German Shepherd, Chihuahua).

I'm surprised none of these incidents were reported. I thought any doctor treating a dog bite was required to report it to Animal Control. I know they are in my area.

I'm surprised none of these incidents were reported. I thought any doctor treating a dog bite was required to report it to Animal Control. I know they are in my area.
That's quite a few, do you work with animals, or are these from people you know?

Here it depends on the circumstances. If the dog bites its own family, as long as they have proof of rabies vaccination, it pretty much goes unreported. If its someone else's dog then it has to be reported so the vaccinations of the dog can be checked.

Here it depends on the circumstances. If the dog bites its own family, as long as they have proof of rabies vaccination, it pretty much goes unreported. If its someone else's dog then it has to be reported so the vaccinations of the dog can be checked.
This is partly why stats are not going to accurately reflect what's happening out there. And, I still think in relation to all the Pit's and mixes out there, severe attacks are rare compared to the number of dogs out there. It could be compared to shark attacks, or being struck by lightning...I really don't know its just my impression. It doesn't mean folks adopting shouldn't be careful.

Dog bite laws vary by state. Some are more strict than others.

Here is a summary of the laws in all 50 states.

https://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/dog-bite-in-all-50-states.pdf

In my state, bites must be reported by medical personnel within 24 hrs to the municipality where the dog lives.
If medical personnel aren't involved, I'm not sure if reporting is mandatory, but I think it would be fairly common for bites to be reported to the animal control officer or police anyway. Not all will, obviously.

Some states still have a "One bite rule". My state does not - there is strict liability for dog bites or other injuries from dogs, even if it the first time.

As an example:
MA: http://attorneyjacksonjones.com/massachusetts-dog-bite-reporting-law/

I mentioned several pages ago about my ex-husband's niece being attacked by a hound dog. She had to undergo quite a bit of surgery to sew up her head and face and then cosmetic surgery. The only reason it was reported to law enforcement is because they needed a police report to force the dog owner to either give over the dog to be tested for rabies or to tie up the dog to watch for rabies. Not sure if anything has changed but then the dog had to be killed to be tested. Anyway, the owner wouldn't do it willingly so the police had to get involved.

The only "mandatory" reporting is not to law enforcement but to animal control. Here, at least, there is no animal control over much of each county; only in the city limits.

I know earlier I said that I was not a fan of pit bulls. This weekend, I actually met another one (my stepdaughter's friend had it). The dog was very sweet and gentle. She was very calm and made puppy dog eyes at us the whole time. I am guessing you cannot judge an entire breed by the actions of some of them. I am wondering it if all has to do do with how the dog is raised.

No, it doesn't have to be in how the dog is raised. Lots of pits that have maimed/killed have been sweet lovable, well raised dogs from pups.

Quite a few what? I didn't mention any numbers. I simply said here dog bits that require medical treatment have to be reported.

Post #138 - Jennasis, also the post you quoted above!!

Yes, and I agree - a lot of horrible incidents just with family and friends!

Last edited:
Quite a few what? I didn't mention any numbers. I simply said here dog bits that require medical treatment have to be reported.
Yes, I think she was responding to Jennasis's post that listed a bunch of bite incidents that you had quoted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter