Plans have been filed for DVC expansion at Caribbean Beach Resort

I still think it's overpriced...but this is what I plead about being "good consumers"...they floated it, people complained, and they buckled.

You can call this the crash-bang technique of price discovery. On the plus side (for Disney) jabbing customers in the ribs until they respond with a cuff to the head ensures that not a single cent is left on the table, not a single price increase undiscovered.

But they're foolish if they think that they can crash-bang, back-off, repeat ... indefinitely. One crash-bang cycle and they might be forgiven ... but after two or three times to the same customers ... ???

It's the kind of crude, mindless technique that you'd expect from a bunch of spreadsheet weenies who live and work over 2000 miles from the core of the business they're managing, under extreme pressure to perform no farther ahead than the current quarter and current fiscal year. And probably telecommuting from beachfront homes or hillside mansions 80% of the time at that.

/cranky

You're drinking the DVC elixir on this one, Pete...sounds more like "they say it will be deluxe so I guess it will be"

This new transport system...if built...will sell it. But the DVC is gonna be corner cut into oblivion and this will be the most overpriced DVC in history: my prediction. The ends doesn't justify the means. You can't "unkill" someone....

I disagree - at least in part. They used to market it a nice, but not deluxe. Now they MARKET it as deluxe. Have you LOOKED at the VGF rooms? The Poly Rooms? Those aren't timeshare rooms.

Now, I agree a tower at CBR is going to be hard to sell as deluxe. But cosmetically, that's what they are going to try to do...make it look like it's deluxe...even if it isn't.

150 points is costing you $26,400. You want a 2-bedroom for your family every year - those 350 points are $59,150. Now you tell me they are not selling luxury.

You can call this the crash-bang technique of price discovery. On the plus side (for Disney) jabbing customers in the ribs until they respond with a cuff to the head ensures that not a single cent is left on the table, not a single price increase undiscovered.

But they're foolish if they think that they can crash-bang, back-off, repeat ... indefinitely. One crash-bang cycle and they might be forgiven ... but after two or three times to the same customers ... ???

It's the kind of crude, mindless technique that you'd expect from a bunch of spreadsheet weenies who live and work over 2000 miles from the core of the business they're managing, under extreme pressure to perform no farther ahead than the current quarter and current fiscal year. And probably telecommuting from beachfront homes or hillside mansions 80% of the time at that.

/cranky

Disney's real trouble is if they economy takes a big dump again. It was bad enough in 2001 and 2008, but at current prices, they'll see a 50% exodus.

I disagree - at least in part. They used to market it a nice, but not deluxe. Now they MARKET it as deluxe. Have you LOOKED at the VGF rooms? The Poly Rooms? Those aren't timeshare rooms.

Now, I agree a tower at CBR is going to be hard to sell as deluxe. But cosmetically, that's what they are going to try to do...make it look like it's deluxe...even if it isn't.

150 points is costing you $26,400. You want a 2-bedroom for your family every year - those 350 points are $59,150. Now you tell me they are not selling luxury.

This is what I mean by "elixir"...

You're falling for it and we are back to square one...
Caribbean is "deluxe" with a tv in the bathroom (pointless) and a flip down bed?

Don't get me wrong...I like those things, but they are just an evolution in design, not "luxury". That cheap Home Depot granite in the lobby of the grand is very nice...but don't fool yourself into thinking it's somehow worth $171 a night.

The fact is the overall service level has fallen since DVC started and that is eve opposite of "luxury".

I see this hinted at a lot...even by those I agree with 95% of the time. That somehow people bought old key west in 1993 for $50 a point and people by poly for $168...because it was "ok" then and is "deluxe" now. Boy that's some revisionist history now that must be spread by magic fairy dust from the choo choo.

The fact is that 10,20 years ago those people where in a better position and got a better deal compared to now. But I see this self justification for overpriced DVC.

"But I want MY place when I want it?"

Yeah...some merit to that...to pay more for set weeks is 1980's myrtle beach insane...but whatevs.

So I had friends that recently bought Saratoga (2 months ago) resale for about 40% of the "Disney price"...and though DVC kept brow beating them about how ghetto that move was (not kidding...near harassment levels)...they are going for 9 nights to the poly at the end of June when every single school in the country is out...

So who gets the last laugh on that one? Points are points...still...in many if not most...cases.

"Have you SEEEN those deluxe kitchenettes? You can pee and watch the DVC sales channel!!"

...that's funny...best laugh all day.

The price now isn't justified...people are really just self justifying it and feeding the monster while doing it.

The price now isn't justified...people are really just self justifying it and feeding the monster while doing it.

Dude - I think we are agreeing on that point. I MIGHT agree with someone that says the VGF and Poly are worth $176 a point. I'm never going to agree that the new CCV are worth $176 a point. Heck if it's so great, I can by there at $90 per point and lower MF. You'll never convince me anything at CBR is going to be worth the price they're asking!

But the question isn't how they can convince you or me - the answer is they can't. But how can they convince the masses. IS a pretty tower, a view of fireworks and a cable car enough? Disney thinks so. They're probably right - the masses are pretty dumb. We'll see how CCV sells...if THAT sells at those point prices...then I bet CBR does too.

Maybe the new caribbean tower will architecturally match the swan/dolphin??
Heaven forbid. These are monstrosities that should have been placed in the originally planned location. They just don't fit where they are now.

Well, I know they made the Tower of Terror the color they did as it blends in with the Morocco pavilion
Apparently they ran out of pain when they built the Swolphin. ;) This story has been repeated often but it doesn't hold water. The ToT only "blends in with Morocco" from one spot around World Showcase, Mexico.

However the swan and dolphin doesn't match thematically so who knows what they'll do.
Paint a big black square in the center of it?

Based on what I read in Disney war wasn't Eisner a graves fan? They had a competition of sorts for the design and Graves is the one who came out on top.
Eisner was a fan of several architects including Graves. Another notable was Robert A. M. Stern who did the Y&B and Boardwalk resorts. However, Eisner and Wing Chow did encourage Graves to get really wild with the design of these two hotels as originally proposed (for a different location) they were just large box-like structures. They wound up where they are as a result of litigation between Disney and the Tishman Company.

Dude - I think we are agreeing on that point. I MIGHT agree with someone that says the VGF and Poly are worth $176 a point. I'm never going to agree that the new CCV are worth $176 a point. Heck if it's so great, I can by there at $90 per point and lower MF. You'll never convince me anything at CBR is going to be worth the price they're asking!

But the question isn't how they can convince you or me - the answer is they can't. But how can they convince the masses. IS a pretty tower, a view of fireworks and a cable car enough? Disney thinks so. They're probably right - the masses are pretty dumb. We'll see how CCV sells...if THAT sells at those point prices...then I bet CBR does too.

The choo choo is worth $80 a night?

Even at the poly that is really old in it's bones...noticed the abandoned arcade? Been to luau cove with Marsha Brady lately?

I just think the "theming" element is being taken a little too far.

Poly is in my top 3-5...but its a lot closer to wilderness than many give it credit for...

Last edited:
Heaven forbid. These are monstrosities that should have been placed in the originally planned location. They just don't fit where they are now.

My post about the Caribbean tower matching the Swan/Dolphin was meant to be sarcastic. :rolleyes:

I'm with you, the Swan/Dolphin really screw up the slight lines in World Showcase.

Supposedly, Eisner was horrified when construction started and the pyramid portion of the Dolphin could be viewed behind France. He asked about the possibility of putting up some type of barrier so the two hotels could not be viewed from Epcot Center.

I just don't want to miss out on $150 if that's the case

I think the only people that will be able to double dip are those who had their accounts actually credited already by the $75/night deal. They may now arrive and still get the GC's.

Disney could still flag those accounts to not receive the GC's, but they will probably er on the side of caution for that one.

If they didn't credit your account, all you should expect is the $75/night Gift card. Which is still a giant win, since in reality you seemed fine with the construction anyway.

Greedy Gus?

If anything you might get an extra $25 at check in but I sincerely doubt your offer would stack
Well excuse me for being curious :p
I think the only people that will be able to double dip are those who had their accounts actually credited already by the $75/night deal. They may now arrive and still get the GC's.

Disney could still flag those accounts to not receive the GC's, but they will probably er on the side of caution for that one.

If they didn't credit your account, all you should expect is the $75/night Gift card. Which is still a giant win, since in reality you seemed fine with the construction anyway.
That might be true too, but that'll start another fight with those that got it

There was a lot...ALOT...of heavy construction type activity at Coronado 3 weeks ago...I'm not surprised.

I hate that everything is timeshare and you have to make $200,000 a year to afford "Disney 2020"...but...at least they don't wait 4 years before lifting a finger now...like the 10 year redos.

There was a lot...ALOT...of heavy construction type activity at Coronado 3 weeks ago...I'm not surprised.

I hate that everything is timeshare and you have to make $200,000 a year to afford "Disney 2020"...but...at least they don't wait 4 years before lifting a finger now...like the 10 year redos.

Cause DVC feeds the coffers. It's money in hand vs "potential money" for other areas.

So I received my email today regarding Important Information for our upcoming stay at Caribbean Beach! Unfortunately, it was clearly a mass-mail fail on Disney's part; while the subject line and email header read Caribbean Beach, the body and all contents of the email were related to Disneyland's Grand Californian Hotel and the ongoing refurbishments there. I fwd'd this onto Guest Relations / WDW Communications - we'll see what comes of it. The saga continues..........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter